Former Jets DE Gholston says he got a raw deal from Ryan

F.Chowds

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Rex plays favorites. Most coaches do. Rex brought Scott and Leonhard here not only because they're good players, but to help install his defense. They would obviously be his favorites. They were extensions of the coaching staff that first year.

I doubt that Vernon Gholston would be the favorite of many NFL coaches.

Yep, and it's natural in the NFL. I believe every coach does. But Rex doesn't look like a guy who would turn away a player. In other words, the player might not start out a favorite but become one.

Speaking of which, what's the chance ESPN uses this opportunity to finally update the infamous Jets draft day bust video for the first time in years, in order to include the Ghost?

Good chance, but I think the Gholston addition wouldn't have the same impact as the others because it's drowned out by the context of recent draft successes. The Jets possibly drafted 3 HOF caliber players in Revis, Mangold & Brick around that time. Plus you had Harris and Sanchez. You have 5 potentially great players and 1 great bust drafted all in the same era.

Good chance, but I think the Gholston addition wouldn't have the same impact as the others because it's drowned out by the context of recent draft successes. The Jets possibly drafted 3 HOF caliber players in Revis, Mangold & Brick around that time. Plus you had Harris and Sanchez. You have 5 potentially great players and 1 great bust drafted all in the same era.

I completely agree, but it doesn't mean ESPN gives a crap about any of that. The only thing that might make things less appealing for ESPN is there wasn't deafening boos or the entire commentating crew crapping all over the draft pick the second it happened.

I completely agree, but it doesn't mean ESPN gives a crap about any of that. The only thing that might make things less appealing for ESPN is there wasn't deafening boos or the entire commentating crew crapping all over the draft pick the second it happened.

I would love nothing more than one day to see the video of those two attention whores pretending to cry when Mark Sanchez was drafted split screen with #6 hoisting a Lombardi.

Then Sanchez gets to smack the two of them in the face on national television.

That's a good point. There wasn't a "OMG, they drafted him?" moment on TV. Yes, people were against Gholston, but he was still a good pick at the time.

Also, Kleck, that 2009 draft was classic because of those 2 idiots, SowelTrain and his brother. Internet is forever.

I would love nothing more than one day to see the video of those two attention whores pretending to cry when Mark Sanchez was drafted split screen with #6 hoisting a Lombardi.

Then Sanchez gets to smack the two of them in the face on national television.

That's a good point. There wasn't a "OMG, they drafted him?" moment on TV. Yes, people were against Gholston, but he was still a good pick at the time.

Also, Kleck, that 2009 draft was classic because of those 2 idiots, SowelTrain and his brother. Internet is forever.

Agree with you both on that draft. I remember watching that live and just shaking my head at those two chumps. Actually recognizing that little douche and his wino brother just made it that much better (or worse?).

Agree with you both on that draft. I remember watching that live and just shaking my head at those two chumps. Actually recognizing that little douche and his wino brother just made it that much better (or worse?).

Who did those idiots want? Michael Crabtree? You the hell moves up all the way to 5 to draft a WR? And Crabtree is on his way to mega bust mode in San Fran with him going to miss more time this year due to injury.

Win a Lombardi with Sanchez, and that trade will go down as the greatest in team history.

Who did those idiots want? Michael Crabtree? You the hell moves up all the way to 5 to draft a WR? And Crabtree is on his way to mega bust mode in San Fran with him going to miss more time this year due to injury.

Win a Lombardi with Sanchez, and that trade will go down as the greatest in team history.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:1

All the picks taken around us look like doo doo.

I find it amusing that Vernon Gholston, still only 25 years old and who has been paid $20M+ basically for practicing and working out in the Jets' gym for 3 years, feels he has gotten a raw deal out of life from any one at any time about any thing.

Lucky for Bryan Thomas he was a super-popular fan favorite and one of Rex Ryan's favorites from well before he got hired here. Oh wait. Oops.

We gave this guy so many chances, its not even funny. He failed each time, we even switched him to DE thinking it would suit him better, but he lost the job. Not because Ryan dislikes him, but because the other players are BETTER. After Ryan hyped him up last off season and said he would be going places, it's kind of messed up to say he didn't give him a chance. He definitely did.

Even if it's true that Bart Scott is Rex's favorite player, that still doesn't explain how that limits Gholston's playing time. Considering, you know, they play different positions.......

Nonsense that he didn't have opportunities. He had hundreds of snaps in the pre-season and some in the regular season. When did anyone ever notice him, besides the time he looked like molasses trying to chase down Jay Cutler?

We gave this guy so many chances, its not even funny. He failed each time, we even switched him to DE thinking it would suit him better, but he lost the job. Not because Ryan dislikes him, but because the other players are BETTER. After Ryan hyped him up last off season and said he would be going places, it's kind of messed up to say he didn't give him a chance. He definitely did.

Did Gholston lose his job to DeVito? Or did DeVito have that spot locked up?

Ask him. One of the chumps posts here regularly. His brother (Sowell Train) I haven't seen in awhile

Rex Ryan 'confused' about comments made by Vernon Gholston

BY Manish Mehta

The morning after former Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston felt that he didn’t get a fair chance with Gang Green, Rex Ryan respectfully disagreed.

“I don’t agree with him on that,” Ryan said after the morning walk through today. “My job is not just to make one player better and to feature one player. When I came here, I thought my job was to build the best defense we could possibly build. When you look at it statistically, it’s hard to argue that weren’t successful in building this defense for the betterment of the NY Jets, not just one player. Now could there have been better defenses to call to make Vernon a better player or make him look like a better player? I’m sure there is. But for us, my concern was to make the NY Jets a better defense… not just one player.”

“I’m confused, because I think I’m fair,” Ryan later added. “I think I’m more than fair and I think I give plenty of opportunities. But if it wasn’t viewed that way, then that’s it. Again, I’m comfortable with being who I am.”

Gholston, who returned to the Meadowlands last night as a member of the Bears, said Ryan wouldn’t have been his first choice to replace the fired Eric Mangini, who made Gholston a first-round pick. He also said that Ryan played favorites with former Ravens that he brought aboard like Bart Scott.

Ryan, of course, called Gholston a “phony” coming out of Ohio State in his book that was released in the offseason.

“I’m certainly not perfect,” Ryan said. “That could be accurate that I pre-judged him. But trust me, when I came here, I was his coach. He was one of us. I became a Jet. Obviously, I evaluated Vernon when he came out of college. I wasn’t as high on him as maybe others were. When I got here, we were all in. I wanted Vernon to be successful. And I still want him to be successful.”

“He’s a good kid,” Ryan added. “I don’t care what he said about me. That’s fine. But I think he’s a fine young man and I wish him well.”

Ryan maintained that he wanted Gholston back. The Jets cut him after the season.

“Remember, I would have liked to have Vernon back, because I thought he was getting better,” Ryan said. “Do I think he’s ever going to be Deacon Jones? No.”

“I’m pretty comfortable with myself,” Ryan said. “Nobody likes to hear negative comments, but if that’s how he feels, then that’s how he feels. But I’m perfectly comfortable with myself. If there’s a problem that somebody has or whatever… I’m not going to please everybody. That’s not the position I’m in.”

Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Rex Ryan 'confused' about comments made by Vernon Gholston

BY Manish Mehta

The morning after former Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston felt that he didn’t get a fair chance with Gang Green, Rex Ryan respectfully disagreed.

“I don’t agree with him on that,” Ryan said after the morning walk through today. “My job is not just to make one player better and to feature one player. When I came here, I thought my job was to build the best defense we could possibly build. When you look at it statistically, it’s hard to argue that weren’t successful in building this defense for the betterment of the NY Jets, not just one player. Now could there have been better defenses to call to make Vernon a better player or make him look like a better player? I’m sure there is. But for us, my concern was to make the NY Jets a better defense… not just one player.”

“I’m confused, because I think I’m fair,” Ryan later added. “I think I’m more than fair and I think I give plenty of opportunities. But if it wasn’t viewed that way, then that’s it. Again, I’m comfortable with being who I am.”

Gholston, who returned to the Meadowlands last night as a member of the Bears, said Ryan wouldn’t have been his first choice to replace the fired Eric Mangini, who made Gholston a first-round pick. He also said that Ryan played favorites with former Ravens that he brought aboard like Bart Scott.

Ryan, of course, called Gholston a “phony” coming out of Ohio State in his book that was released in the offseason.

“I’m certainly not perfect,” Ryan said. “That could be accurate that I pre-judged him. But trust me, when I came here, I was his coach. He was one of us. I became a Jet. Obviously, I evaluated Vernon when he came out of college. I wasn’t as high on him as maybe others were. When I got here, we were all in. I wanted Vernon to be successful. And I still want him to be successful.”

“He’s a good kid,” Ryan added. “I don’t care what he said about me. That’s fine. But I think he’s a fine young man and I wish him well.”

Ryan maintained that he wanted Gholston back. The Jets cut him after the season.

“Remember, I would have liked to have Vernon back, because I thought he was getting better,” Ryan said. “Do I think he’s ever going to be Deacon Jones? No.”

“I’m pretty comfortable with myself,” Ryan said. “Nobody likes to hear negative comments, but if that’s how he feels, then that’s how he feels. But I’m perfectly comfortable with myself. If there’s a problem that somebody has or whatever… I’m not going to please everybody. That’s not the position I’m in.”

Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Rex handled that perfectly.

And CTM continues his world record shattering streak of never being wrong about anything, ever. :rolleyes:

Been wrong plenty... My biggest blunder wass Reggie Bush, but I'm liking what I see out of him so far this season ;)

Just have to laugh at these threads where Jets fans get all mad about comments players make when they get to other teams after being cut by the Jets.

What do you expect them to say? To have any chance at all a player has to believe in himself, has to believe that in the right system with the right coaching he can tear it up out there. When they get to a new team they have to come up with an explanation as to why they got cut by their last team, and that explanation is not going to be "Because I sucked moose cöck". Even if it's true.

We'll see how that works out now that we lost Ellis' leadership and passed on the next Ed Reed in Taylor Mays. Oh, we shall see.

I read things like this and just laugh. Rex Ryan gave him a chance to start in 2009 for Calvin Pace. He went out of his way to do ridiculous stuff like giving him a gameball for having the same impact on the game that the tee kid does. Ryan went so far out of his way to make up praise for him that it makes you take Ryan even less seriously than usual when he opens up his mouth.

In some ways it sounds like agent speak about giving the first rounder a chance and Im sure Gholstons agent blames the staff for Gholston not earning millions of dollars, but the reality is that loss of earnings was mainly on the Mangini run not the Ryan one. Had Mangini played Gholston even a little in 2008 he would have guaranteed the Ghost an extra 7 million or so. I guess he also could have unlocked some guarantees under Ryan, but I think the rule of thumb is if you cant unlock the money the first year (unless you are the rare high draft choice QB on a good team) the team better proceed with caution in the future with the player, which is exactly what the Jets did once the 4 game trial ended in everyone realizing he stunk.

Archived