Hate to say it, but I might agree with Belicheck on this one

GREENBEAN

This makes a lot of sense to me

Bill Belichick wants the extra point to die

By MJD

bill_belichick_wants_the_extra_point_to_die.jpgThis is my favorite thing to come out of the conversation about the new kickoff rules. Bill Belichick used a kickoff question to move the conversation toward the extra point, and argued that it should be eliminated from the game, or at least greatly modified.

"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn't be in the game. I don't think it is good for the game. Extra points, when the odds are 99 percent range in extra points it is not a play. Let's move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Let them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you're just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."

(Applause.)

Given my druthers, I'd eliminate it completely -- I don't think you'd see a lot of kicks missed from the 15 or 20, either. It saves time, it speeds the game along, and the guy in the end-zone seats with the John 3:16 sign doesn't get time to prepare for his close-up.

This is the MJD plan: Let's just make touchdowns worth seven, and if someone wants to risk a point either way, they'll have the option to trot the ball out to the 2-point conversion spot, and they'll get eight points for their touchdown if they convert, six if they don't. Hell, I say we move that back, too. I think the 6-yard-line sounds about right.

I'm with him on the kickoff, too. I'll talk more about this later, but Belichick is right. If what the NFL wants is more touchbacks, then why go halfway? Put the ball on the 20. Put it on the 25 or 30 if you want to. I'm not saying I'm anti-kickoff, I'm just saying that if the league just wants drives to start at the 20, there are ways to do that that are more efficient.

But then there'd never be the possibility of John Carney hilarity! You know, back in 2001 when the Saints were playing the Jaguars in Week 17 and thought they'd made the playoffs after a miracle play, then Carney missed the extra point to botch it all up?

That's a great argument against it. "BUT YOU'LL REMOVE ALL THE POTENTIAL HILARITY!!!!!" LOL UGH.... I thought the fake spike was bad. wait.... it was!

The fake spike caused the quietest ride ever from the Meadowlands to Absecon, NJ. I was at the game with my college roommates, two of whom were fellow Jets fans, one of whom was a Dolphins fan. 100 miles, not a word was spoken.

Does this "silence" include the number of times the windows had to be rolled down?

The fake spike caused the quietest ride ever from the Meadowlands to Absecon, NJ. I was at the game with my college roommates, two of whom were fellow Jets fans, one of whom was a Dolphins fan. 100 miles, not a word was spoken.

My old man is a Giant fan and his best friend, my Uncle Tommy is a old school Dolphag fan. They where both riding me during the game and after the spike I lost it and slammed my hand THRU the coffee table in front of me. My mothers antique coffee table from her deceased Aunt. Not good. Walking on eggshells and eating frozen pot pies for awhile. She still brings it up with her dagger stare.

My old man is a Giant fan and his best friend, my Uncle Tommy is a old school Dolphag fan. They where both riding me during the game and after the spike I lost it and slammed my hand THRU the coffee table in front of me. My mothers antique coffee table from her deceased Aunt. Not good. Walking on eggshells and eating frozen pot pies for awhile. She still brings it up with her dagger stare.

Blame it on that worthless, no ring having, POS Dan Marino.

Blame it on that worthless, no ring having, POS Dan Marino.

Tried that. My mother replied with her standard, "I raised you not him and I thought I did a better job", followed by the Italian mother dissapointed stare. Then a horrific recap of my birth and everything she had to endure to bring me in this world so I can act like am idiot. Ruff sledding. LOL

You can take away the extra point, but there has to be a 2 point attempt them. You can't eliminate the extra points altogether.

What I think they should add is the ability to run back the 2 point try on a fumble or INT so the defense can get 2 points.

i was there too. We were literally dancing in the stands (i was drunk) in the 3rd quarter. We were about to take sole position of 1st place. We won 4 games in the next 2 1/2 years. That literally is the worst day in Jets history and we've had a lot of bad days man.

i was there too. We were literally dancing in the stands (i was drunk) in the 3rd quarter. We were about to take sole position of 1st place. We won 4 games in the next 2 1/2 years. That literally is the worst day in Jets history and we've had a lot of bad days man.

That game is one of the biggest reasons I will always hate the Dolphins more than any other team.

That game is one of the biggest reasons I will always hate the Dolphins more than any other team.

I'm the same way man. I drive by their crap a$$ stadium every single day on my way to work and send a little hatred toward them. It makes me feel a little bit better.

WHY THE F@#K WOULD YOU POST THAT? talking about it is hard enough.

If you think about it, that single play altered the history of the franchise. It sent the team over a cliff, only to be revised by Parcells and the start of the Silver Age of the franchise, the best 14 year stretch in it's history.

Think about that. If not for that fake spike, would Carroll have been fired? Would Kottite been hired? Or how about Parcells? It really changed everything. So in that sense I don't hate the Dolphins for that reason (hate them for others) and don't look at the fake spike with particular pain. It was necessary to suffer in order to come out much better, because without a doubt, these last 14 seasons have been better than the previous 14.

If you think about it, that single play altered the history of the franchise. It sent the team over a cliff, only to be revised by Parcells and the start of the Silver Age of the franchise, the best 14 year stretch in it's history.

Think about that. If not for that fake spike, would Carroll have been fired? Would Kottite been hired? Or how about Parcells? It really changed everything. So in that sense I don't hate the Dolphins for that reason (hate them for others) and don't look at the fake spike with particular pain. It was necessary to suffer in order to come out much better, because without a doubt, these last 14 seasons have been better than the previous 14.

This is exactly how I feel about the Mo Lewis hit on Bledsoe. It was the turning point of the Patriots franchise, really. Mo Lewis, my favorite all-time Jet! :)

belly is wrong about the kickoffs. The Jets are gonna break one for a TD this year. Maybe more than one.

i don't doubt that actually. I think it's going to be more difficult, but the fact that Chad Morton, justin Miller, Leon washington and brad smith were all dynamic and successful returners here says something about the coach we still have.

And people call ME a homer. :rolleyes:

i don't doubt that actually. I think it's going to be more difficult, but the fact that Chad Morton, justin Miller, Leon washington and brad smith were all dynamic and successful returners here says something about the coach we still have.

Actually, the fact that there were literally 100s of kick returns for TDs prior to 1994 tells me there will probably be a few broken this year.

I guess back in 94 when they moved the line back in the first place, BB's argument should have been: "Why even kick off? They obviously want more TDs scored, why not just give each team a TD every kickoff?"

BB has gone senile. I seriously think he is now an idiot. That Patriots team is going to go 5-11 this year.

Archived