Mark Sanchez Is What He Is, (and that's all that he is)

T0mShane

I think it's time to close the books on Sanchez's alleged potential to be an elite QB. He is what he is--a streaky, inaccurate, tough little dude. That's it. No QB in the league has a more comfortable situation to play in--an elite defense and special teams guaranteeing him great field position and opportunities, to go along with a good OL and high-end receiving corps. And, yet, the offense is a consistent ****fest. We can blame Scottenheimer, sure, but it's Sanchez out there still throwing INT's that rookies shouldn't even be throwing and missing receivers that rookies shouldn't miss, in Year Three.

This is not to say that Sanchez isn't a good QB. Obviously, you can win with him. But, we have to stop deluding ourselves into believing that there's some great, as-yet untapped pool of talent under the surface here. He's not, nor will he ever be, a top-10 QB. He's basically the reincarnation of Steve Beurlein.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he also throws TDs that most pros cant throw.

so its a wash. sometimes he's rock bottom, sometimes he is a rockstar.

same with jets fans. some of us say it sucks. rest say he rocks.

its a microcosm-macrocosm situation.

agreed. he's got sooo much freakin potential, makes throws that elite qb's do, but just seems to toss the int here and there. can he get over it? time will tell. in the meantime i'll just have to keep gulping down ant acids.

When he's playing with Wayne Hunter and without Nick Mangold, he isn't going to get more than 3 seconds. Problem is that the OL ahs gone from a strength to a liability. Injuries are part of the game; look at Green Bay last year. But either there has to be inmprovement in OL play or the offense is going to struggle.

I think it's time to close the books on Sanchez's alleged potential to be an elite QB. He is what he is--a streaky, inaccurate, tough little dude. That's it. No QB in the league has a more comfortable situation to play in--an elite defense and special teams guaranteeing him great field position and opportunities, to go along with a good OL and high-end receiving corps. And, yet, the offense is a consistent ****fest. We can blame Scottenheimer, sure, but it's Sanchez out there still throwing INT's that rookies shouldn't even be throwing and missing receivers that rookies shouldn't miss, in Year Three.

This is not to say that Sanchez isn't a good QB. Obviously, you can win with him. But, we have to stop deluding ourselves into believing that there's some great, as-yet untapped pool of talent under the surface here. He's not, nor will he ever be, a top-10 QB. He's basically the reincarnation of Steve Beurlein.

Actually Sanchez throws the same INTs that even vets do. He didn't have a good game today but he completed 70% of his passes and the team won by 29 ******* points so lighten the **** up will ya?

So true. But, as you can see by your responses already, it's not gonna fly here.

So true. But, as you can see by your responses already, it's not gonna fly here.

Because it just seems dumb to call it a career for a 24 yr old QB in his 3rd year.

Youre killing Sanchez but his stats now are projected better than last year. Hes raising the floor.

Because it just seems dumb to call it a career for a 24 yr old QB in his 3rd year.

Youre killing Sanchez but his stats now are projected better than last year. Hes raising the floor.

See, here you go again fabricating an argument. No one's 'calling it a career', we're simply calling it what it is...

As I said in the other thread, "raising the floor" is improving his completion percentage, but his mistakes are still awful and he's still starring down WRs and missing open targets. He's got tunnel vision, and unlike his completion percentage, that has shown no signs of improving.

When he's playing with Wayne Hunter and without Nick Mangold, he isn't going to get more than 3 seconds. Problem is that the OL ahs gone from a strength to a liability. Injuries are part of the game; look at Green Bay last year. But either there has to be inmprovement in OL play or the offense is going to struggle.

+1 exactly what I was going to say. I think any QB would struggle with Wayne Turnstile Hunter playing and on top of that losing your top flight center early in the game. Add to that the running game was non existant, and what can you expect?

See, here you go again fabricating an argument. No one's 'calling it a career', we're simply calling it what it is...

As I said in the other thread, "raising the floor" is improving his completion percentage, but his mistakes are still awful and he's still starring down WRs and missing open targets. He's got tunnel vision, and unlike his completion percentage, that has shown no signs of improving.

Fabricating argument? Tom just said that this is all Sanchez is, which means its a career. Hes nothing more, regardless of how long he plays.

Yes, I agree with the mistakes, but not that he hasnt improved. Facts dont support that.

Fabricating argument? Tom just said that this is all Sanchez is, which means its a career. Hes nothing more, regardless of how long he plays.

Yes, I agree with the mistakes, but not that he hasnt improved. Facts dont support that.

I think 'calling it a career' would be saying he's done. He's not done, this is just what he is. He's ok, with the ability to fairly good, and the ability to be exceptionally bad. Nothing has supported the fact that he's anything but that.

He's turned the ball over 4 times thus far, only one of those occasions can even be talked about as a decent play made by the defender (cowboys INT). The rest were all on him. Again, completion percentage is improving, but not his awareness, and to be honest, he's taking less risks down field, which is contributing to his improving completion percentage.

He's turned the ball over 4 times thus far, only one of those occasions can even be talked about as a decent play made by the defender (cowboys INT). The rest were all on him. Again, completion percentage is improving, but not his awareness, and to be honest, he's taking less risks down field, which is contributing to his improving completion percentage.

The sample size is too small to declare that he has or hasn't regardless. Through two games however, there's not much to be impressed with. He was average against Dallas and horrible today. Jacksonville stinks, so this was the game to throw up a bomb like this, but there isn't much to suggest thus far a noticeable improvement aside from that little side-out to LT that he seems to have perfected. Unfortunately this gets balanced out by him running around and holding the ball like he's Jerry running from that old lady with a marble rye in his hands constantly.

I think Beurlein is a rough comparison. Beurlein was a never was, while Sanchez makes throws that are really top of the line passes. There is just no consistency to his game. He was great on drive 1 and had a real nice TD to Keller later on, but more or less stunk in between. I personally think the ship sailed on him being an Elway type last year when he didnt improve a ton, but there is nothing wrong with being Bernie Kosar or Eli Manning provided the team acknowledges that that is his upside and surrounds him with talent accordingly. The problem occurs when they give him a 15M a year contract and entrust him to carry the offense on his own.

Archived