What happened to the run defense ?

JetsFanInDenver

I know its only 3 games. But right now we are allowing 136.7 yds/game and that has us ranked 31st out of 32 teams in yds per game allowed. Thats not the making of a top defense. And just last year we were ranked 3rd in the league at 90.9 yds/game allowed. The JETS need to fix this or its going to be a long season.

2011:

31 New York Jets 3 20.3 61 85 28.3 410 4.8 136.7 5 70T 18 21.2 3 1 0

2010:

3 New York Jets 16 19 304 408 25.5 1,454 3.6 90.9 11 32 70 17.2 8 0 12

Well really its only todays game that is destroying the stats. I cant recall Dallas doing well and I think we held MJD to about 90. Today the Jets never got off their blocks to eliminate any of the lanes for McFadden. The Jets dont have the speed at the LB position to recover when the team plays so poorly. They need to play well as a group and they didnt today. Reminded me a bit of the first Miami game for Rex, though the running style was different. Raiders offensive line dominated the Jets players and it let McFadden run untouched.

I know its only 3 games. But right now we are allowing 136.7 yds/game and that has us ranked 31st out of 32 teams in yds per game allowed. Thats not the making of a top defense. And just last year we were ranked 3rd in the league at 90.9 yds/game allowed. The JETS need to fix this or its going to be a long season.

2011:

2010:

A little misleading. One terrible game of 3 games so far this season is going to increase the average a great deal. I believe we allowed about 90 total to both the Cowboys and Jags... If we get back in that range for the next 13 things will begin to avg out...

watch that DMC long run again (if you dare)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eB-yd5cq4Y

2 things become apparent

1) there was massive holding, especially on Eric Smith. (bart scott and kyle wilson too). But that's the NFL fair enough those calls don't always get made

2) Jim Leonard whiffed terribly on that tackle attempt. If Kerry Rhodes did what Jim Leonard did on that play, we'd never hear the end of it. It was just a putrid effort, from a player who, let's face it, doesn't really offer a whole lot other than (supposedly) being a sure tackler. seriously folks he's the safety that's his job to make sure a 20 yard run doesn't become a 71 yard run

2) Jim Leonard whiffed terribly on that tackle attempt. If Kerry Rhodes did what Jim Leonard did on that play, we'd never hear the end of it. It was just a putrid effort, from a player who, let's face it, doesn't really offer a whole lot other than (supposedly) being a sure tackler. seriously folks he's the safety that's his job to make sure a 20 yard run doesn't become a 71 yard run

So you use that one play to make a sweeping statement and bash the guy that's been the QB of a successful defense? What a joke.

2 things become apparent

1) there was massive holding, especially on Eric Smith. (bart scott and kyle wilson too). But that's the NFL fair enough those calls don't always get made

It was a good play by Oakland. They caught the Jets more or less in a shift with Eric Smith shadowing the LT, who is going to eat him alive, and Bart Scott on the TE. Scott cant get hung up like that. His job is to contain that outside and he got stood up by the TE. Not sure what Harris was reading there either as he shouldnt be running into the line once the play starts and the play isnt headed anywhere near there. Leonhard made it all worse, but its not a putrid effort. I think everyone realizes his physical limitations. He just cant make that play because he isnt gifted enough. I just hope the Jets upgrade the S position next year. There was nowhere to look this past year, but they have to have better support than the 2 they have starting now.

This game makes me confident in one thing..

-I have no clue how to predict outcomes of games.

I thought we'd struggle, but because of the Oline being in pieces. I figured we'd get 9pts and the D would save us and hold them to 3 or 6.

So instead we put up 20+ and the D fails?? It's like I woke up Sunday morning in opposite-world.

2 things become apparent

Ha Eric Smith should have never been caught inside in the first place as it at least looked to me he should of been responsible to contain the edge on that play. Who knows for sure though as he was practically lined up as a ILB on that play. BTW WATCH BART SCOTT GET BURIED....so who knows. THey were BOTH completely man handled by the O Lineman. Maybe Oakland just called the right play at the right time and McFadden is unbelievably impressive. Dude looks like he's become a real star. Can't think of too many other RB's I'd want before him right now.

Well really its only todays game that is destroying the stats. I cant recall Dallas doing well and I think we held MJD to about 90. Today the Jets never got off their blocks to eliminate any of the lanes for McFadden. The Jets dont have the speed at the LB position to recover when the team plays so poorly. They need to play well as a group and they didnt today. Reminded me a bit of the first Miami game for Rex, though the running style was different. Raiders offensive line dominated the Jets players and it let McFadden run untouched.

On 18 carries. Thats almost 4.9 yards/carry. Today it was 7.3 yds/carry. They did do better against Dallas.

The JETS need to fix this if they want to have the all world defense!

It was a good play by Oakland. They caught the Jets more or less in a shift with Eric Smith shadowing the LT, who is going to eat him alive, and Bart Scott on the TE. Scott cant get hung up like that. His job is to contain that outside and he got stood up by the TE. Not sure what Harris was reading there either as he shouldnt be running into the line once the play starts and the play isnt headed anywhere near there. Leonhard made it all worse, but its not a putrid effort. I think everyone realizes his physical limitations. He just cant make that play because he isnt gifted enough. I just hope the Jets upgrade the S position next year. There was nowhere to look this past year, but they have to have better support than the 2 they have starting now.

Bart Scott is the kind of player that would make a brilliant play but every game there are a few head scratchers.

By "losing games" you mean losing one game.

Ill vote for LB and S talent/speed.

Yeah, whatever. We're getting exploited in areas that we've always been solid.

Thomas and Pace were playing great on contain after the first drive...something happened, I dont know what...but Oakland got into a groove and they were no where to be found after what I thought was a solid start.

Ha Eric Smith should have never been caught inside in the first place as it at least looked to me he should of been responsible to contain the edge on that play. Who knows for sure though as he was practically lined up as a ILB on that play. BTW WATCH BART SCOTT GET BURIED....so who knows. THey were BOTH completely man handled by the O Lineman. Maybe Oakland just called the right play at the right time and McFadden is unbelievably impressive. Dude looks like he's become a real star. Can't think of too many other RB's I'd want before him right now.

+1

When I initially saw the play I was wondering what the **** Mauga was doing in the game and why the **** he got caught up in there. On the replay I realized it was Smith and was even more puzzled. I can't tell who for sure should have been outside, but I am pretty confident that Scott wasn't the outside man taking that route. Somebody ****ed up out there. I'd guess they were expecting pass on 2nd and 1 and got caught, but it still was a piss poor job.

They didn't look good against the run at all, but I don't think they were pushed around. They were beaten with speed. The 70 yarder, the McFadden pass that wasn't where McFadden reversed field and went for 30. The reverse got what? 40? That's 150 yards on three plays where they failed to set the edge - two of them trick plays.

When you rewatch it, Smith comes running up to the line like he was coming on a run blitz. I think they were sure the Raiders were going to run up the middle. Both Smith and Scott got owned. Wilson was held, and it was off to the races

Sure looked like a hold on Wilson to me.

2011:

2010:

The Steelers exposed us last year. Teams can run on us off tackle because our OLB's are getting old and slow. Also runs to the out side always go to Cro's side . Why ? cause Cro cant tackle and just dissapears on running plays. How many times Did the Raiders run off Right tackle ? Thats right they didnt. Why deal with Revis when you can deal with the Puss on the other side.

The Steelers exposed us last year. Teams can run on us off tackle because our OLB's are getting old and slow. Also runs to the out side always go to Cro's side . Why ? cause Cro cant tackle and just dissapears on running plays. How many times Did the Raiders run off Right tackle ? Thats right they didnt. Why deal with Revis when you can deal with the Puss on the other side.

I believe our OLBs are very good vs the run, esp Thomas.

We have issues stopping the run when our Dline gets blown off the ball.

The Raiders ran at our RDEs. When you get rid of a technically sound DE like Shaun Ellis and put all the pressure on a rookie and a 6'8 DE who has trouble staying low, there will be moments where we get gashed in the running game......

Both Smith and Scott got owned. Wilson was held, and it was off to the races

Jim Leonard's job is to not let the 40 yard dash become a 100 yard dash.

Granted this player has done alot for this team in the past. But that was the past. today he's a 10 year vet, who was never a good athlete in the first place, but with a plate in his leg.

Bart Scott too... let's be real he's the Jets 4th best LB right now. He's a 2 down run stopper and got owned. I'd rather see Pool and Mauga.

overreaction much? It's not like we haven't been run on before. Miami have the defense problems a few times in the past couple years, Pit last year, MJD in 09. There's probably a couple more examples. They way I see it they had a down game on the West Coast against a really good running team. It happens. When teams start running against us at will I'll get worried. Until then this is an aberration, and not grounds to bench Bart Scott.

Archived