Cromartie suffers from bruised lungs

JetsFanInDenver

Link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/09/source-antonio-cromartie-suffered-bruised-lungs-in-jets-loss-to-raiders-jeff-cumberland

Article:

BY Manish Mehta

A week after Antonio Cromartie earned AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors after his two-touchdown performance against the Jaguars, the Jets cornerback was injured in a 34-24 loss to the Raiders on Sunday.

The Daily News first reported on Twitter on Sunday night that Cromartie suffered bruised lungs in the second half. The Jets announced after the game that Cromartie was taken to Eden Medical Center for a rib injury, but returned to the team shortly thereafter.

Cromartie's timetable for recovery is about pain tolerance at this point, according to a source. He was hurting, as expected, after the game and didn't talk to reporters in the lockerroom.

Antonio Cromartie was presumably injured late in the third quarter on a kickoff. He bobbled the kickoff, kicked it forward and unsuccefully tried to scoop it up. The Raiders recovered at the Jets 12 and eventually scored.

NOTE: The Daily News has also learned that the Jets fear that tight end Jeff Cumberland suffered a torn right Achilles. The team announced that he will undergo an MRI on Monday for an ankle injury.

Let's be clear here. Cro didn't get hurt because he was returning kicks.

He got hurt because he was absolutely stupid. He miss judged the kick, kicked the ball with his foot, and rather than landing on the ball he tried to pick it up and run with it. That led to him getting crushed.

Let's be clear here. Cro didn't get hurt because he was returning kicks.

He got hurt because he was absolutely stupid. He miss judged the kick, kicked the ball with his foot, and rather than landing on the ball he tried to pick it up and run with it. That led to him getting crushed.

Still sick over that. How dumb is this cat? Just fall on it for gods sake. The Problem with Cro is he thinks he's better than he really is.

This entire summer I kept praying that we let Cromartie walk. I wanted to give Kyle Wilson a chance to be the #2. People forget that we were the #1 defense one year with Lito Sheppard starting.

I really like Cromartie, but he does NOT deserve the money he's receiving.

How much of Cro's contract is guaranteed?

Enough that he's going nowhere this season or next season unless someone offers up something way over value in trade after the season's over. However the only way for that to happen is if he becomes a stud for the rest of the season, in which case neither the Jets nor their fans will want to trade him.

A coaching staff and front office that was content going with Hunter or Ducasse for 16 games was not content going with Wilson/Strickland battling it out for the #2 CB job. To me this says they either thought Wilson sucked (since no one thinks of Cromartie as a must-have player at $8M/year), very likely would suck, or that they thought Wilson was good enough (or nearly good enough) but they needed or wanted 3 starting-caliber CBs to combat teams with 3 legitimate WR targets.

Cromartie is not giving the Jets what they gave up to get him from SD (2nd round pick), what they gave him in a new contract ($8M/year with $14M guaranteed), and what they gave up in 2012 (at his FA level would have been at worst a 4th round compensatory pick if we lost him as a UFA).

This entire summer I kept praying that we let Cromartie walk. I wanted to give Kyle Wilson a chance to be the #2. People forget that we were the #1 defense one year with Lito Sheppard starting.

I really like Cromartie, but he does NOT deserve the money he's receiving.

Good point. I am starting to think that when your #1 CB is the best in the world and no one hardly ever throws at him, it is actually not good to have a #2 that has a good enough rep that you think you can leave them alone as well. It might be better to just have a lesser paid #2 who you know you have to help most of the time. I think it would have been an even bigger and more costly mistake to have signed Aso. He would have seen more balls playing across from Revis in one season than he did his entire career.

Archived