adopt a team

Larz

I'm looking for a team that has a young QB, and can play some D to get behind. I can't just go with the packers, I have to make it interesting

I'm thinking Detriot, but they are too popular right now for my taste skins ? nah, I hate shanahan. 9ers ? harbaugh rubs me the wrong way. bills ? nah, I just can't

bengals and the red rifle ?

yeah, what the hell, they are my team this week

you ?

don't get too excited this is a joke

I'm looking for a team that has a young QB, and can play some D to get behind. I can't just go with the packers, I have to make it interesting

I'm thinking Detriot, but they are too popular right now for my taste skins ? nah, I hate shanahan. 9ers ? harbaugh rubs me the wrong way. bills ? nah, I just can't

bengals and the red rifle ?

yeah, what the hell, they are my team this week

you ?

don't get too excited this is a joke

Come on and jump on the Bengals Bandwagon. Joke or not as a post, Cincy has exceeded all expectations this year. Your Jets are looking up at the Bills in the standings. We beat them. Rookie QB and WR and all that.

I'll reserve Max a seat, but it won't be front row. :winking0001:

My #2 has been the Chargers for a long time, but after going to Jets v Bucs in 09 I def could see myself cheering for them. Great fan base, cool stadium and Freeman is just exciting to watch

Freeman has looked like deep fried poop this year. Worse than Sanchez. They just lost by 45 points today.

Why not just spoon vomit and/or feces in your mouth?

Good choice. The Rivers is a top notch QB, and Ryan Matthews is breaking out. He's 6th in rushing yards and 7th in rushing attempts this year, plus he's got 20 receptions for almost 300 yards. Their D can be stout.

Freeman has looked like deep fried poop this year. Worse than Sanchez. They just lost by 45 points today.

He's had some real tough games but is money in the clutch. Guy is up there for the most come from behind wins in the NFL among active QBs and has marginal talent around him. Also from the hospitality from Tampa fans (Rays, Lightning & Bucs) I could easily become a Tampa sports fan because they have up and coming teams in all major sports

My #2 has been the Chargers for a long time, but after going to Jets v Bucs in 09 I def could see myself cheering for them. Great fan base, cool stadium and Freeman is just exciting to watch

Great fan base? The entire 2010 season was blacked out. And they had two of their three home games blacked out this year. They are your typical Florida team that no one cares about.

The Lions and its not even close...nice reward when you finally make some good choices after the total suckage of the Matt Millen era...Megatron, Stafford, Suh, Fairley...oh btw...Pettigrew, Best, Avril, Young...all up and comers...all ready to make a move...underrated coach as well...

The Lions and its not even close...nice reward when you finally make some good choices after the total suckage of the Matt Millen era...Megatron, Stafford, Suh, Fairley...oh btw...Pettigrew, Best, Avril, Young...all up and comers...all ready to make a move...underrated coach as well...

I just can't bring myself to jump on the Detroit train. I've never seen a culture of people who are this unappreciative of the level of sports successes they've actually been able to see in recent decades (Red Wings, Pistons). All they do is cry about how hard it is being Lions fans. And if you bother even bringing up Isiah Thomas or Chauncey or Yzerman, they just get defensive and still want sympathy. I root for the effing Mets and Jets. No sympathy from this guy, sorry.

I hate to say it, but go Bills. That you're forced to live in Buffalo sucks enough. Between both of their franchises they've seen the Sabres in the playoffs like 2-3 times since the Clinton Administration.

I just can't bring myself to jump on the Detroit train. I've never seen a culture of people who are this unappreciative of the level of sports successes they've actually been able to see in recent decades (Red Wings, Pistons). All they do is cry about how hard it is being Lions fans. And if you bother even bringing up Isiah Thomas or Chauncey or Yzerman, they just get defensive and still want sympathy. I root for the effing Mets and Jets. No sympathy from this guy, sorry.

I hate to say it, but go Bills. That you're forced to live in Buffalo sucks enough. Between both of their franchises they've seen the Sabres in the playoffs like 2-3 times since the Clinton Administration.

Their fans may not deserve it but their players/coaches don't care...whoever made the calls in the draft room plus the coach and some of the vets puts this team on the come...imagine if Tanny had followed up 2006/2007 drafts with Matt Ryan or McFadden in the first plus a Jordy Nelson or Matt Forte in the second. Plus, they sucked out the best DL to come out in decades...Suh in my mind could be the most disruptive defensive player since Reggie White. They only need Stafford to stay healthy and they will start to win and win big.

I like watching Buffalo...hard to root against...Buddy Nix has done a decent job in the draft plus he's convinced several talented vets to move to Buffalo...looks like Chan Gaily can still coach...fun offense to watch...but they still strike me a team peaking out at the better than average. . Similar to the Chiefs last year, they'll ride the last place schedule to the playoffs for a quick one and done. The next year they returned to mediocrity. Just don't see the high end like the Lions.

Totally get your effing Jets and Mets comments...I jumped on both their bandwagons in the early 70s...more pain than pleasure...the wife says I'm loyal to a fault...her family is more the casual sports fan type...whichever New York team is winning their on the bandwagon...lol!

Agreed. In the same boat, I hate hearing fans complain...I'm like stfu. Mets, Jets, Knicks. Please.

Go Bills. Just because I want them to beat the Pats in the division.

Their fans may not deserve it but their players/coaches don't care...whoever made the calls in the draft room plus the coach and some of the vets puts this team on the come...imagine if Tanny had followed up 2006/2007 drafts with Matt Ryan or McFadden in the first plus a Jordy Nelson or Matt Forte in the second. Plus, they sucked out the best DL to come out in decades...Suh in my mind could be the most disruptive defensive player since Reggie White. They only need Stafford to stay healthy and they will start to win and win big.

I like watching Buffalo...hard to root against...Buddy Nix has done a decent job in the draft plus he's convinced several talented vets to move to Buffalo...looks like Chan Gaily can still coach...fun offense to watch...but they still strike me a team peaking out at the better than average. . Similar to the Chiefs last year, they'll ride the last place schedule to the playoffs for a quick one and done. The next year they returned to mediocrity. Just don't see the high end like the Lions.

Offense: we suck and Buffalo doesn't. Why?

I wonder what the fanbase's reaction would have been if the Jets made the following "investments" in its receiving corps:

Steve Johnson (7th round)

David Nelson (UDFA in his 2nd season)

Roscoe Parrish (2nd round pick from 6 years ago who missed the 2nd half of the season, and is out for the season again already)

Brad Smith ($4M FA who has under 180 combined receiving yards in his last 3 seasons, all injury-free)

Donald Jones (UDFA in his 2nd season)

Scott Chandler (scrap-heap FA picked up mid-season last year)

Oh, and they dumped Lee Evans at the end of the summer for a mid-round pick the following year.

We'd be falling all over ourselves excusing the zero production we'd be getting behind Schottenheimer & Sanchez. Meanwhile when we're not in garbage-time we can't seem to make do with:

Santonio Holmes (former 1st round pick, SB MVP, supposed top-100 NFL player, given $10M/year deal)

Plaxico Burress (former 1st round pick, SB winner caught the winning TD pass, given $3M for the year)

Derrick Mason (former all-pro WR, SB WR, old but has still been plenty productive through last season)

Dustin Keller (1st round draft pick, averages 50 catches & 600 yards per season. Despite shortcomings, should be a matchup nightmare)

Jeremy Kerley (5th round rookie)

Let go of Braylon Edwards because he wanted a megadeal from us and clearly felt we snubbed him. We also let go of Cotchery because he still felt he should be starting and surely would have refused to take a steep paycut, and also because he kind of sucks now.

But the main reason we can't get it going on offense, or so I've read over & over, is the GM's neglect with regard to the OL.

Even with Mangold in there we have had (and still have) serious OL issues with 2 first round studs at LT and C making $10M and $8M/year, a 6th round pick in his 3rd season (started every game last year), a veteran RG on a $4M/year deal, and a RT just re-signed to a $3M/year deal. Further, we used a 2nd round pick on a G/T last season. And our OL is an embarrassment. Spare me the Turner injury stuff. While his injury surely didn't help, he's nothing anyway when he's perfectly healthy with a GOOD line all around him. He's a backup and camp goon.

Meanwhile the Jills' LT was a 7th round pick in the same draft as Slauson, their RT was an undrafted scrap-heap pickup already cut by 2 lousy teams, and their RG is an undrafted nobody who started 2 games as a rookie last year. They used high picks on their LG (round 2) and C (round 1).

Oh yeah, and our QB was the 5th pick in the country out of USC. Buffalo's QB was a 7th round pick from Harvard whose crowning achievement before signing with them, was an 8-TD/9-INT three-quarters of a season for the 4-win Bengals.

Makes me sick. While there are always draft picks we could have or should have made instead, there is a TON of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Some-one or some-many on the Jets are simply not coaching well.

Chan Gailey is a good offensive coach....

Lets relax with the Bills after 5 games though. They've forced a ton of turnovers, I think they lead the league in pick 6's. They're a great story right now, but some of it has been flukey.

Fred Jackson has been their best player. Fitzpatrick is still pretty average.

Chan Gailey is a good offensive coach....

Lets relax with the Bills after 5 games though. They've forced a ton of turnovers, I think they lead the league in pick 6's. They're a great story right now, but some of it has been flukey.

Fred Jackson has been their best player. Fitzpatrick is still pretty average.

I'm not saying they're superbowl champs after 5 weeks or anything. But they're getting a windfall more production out of a group of unheralded players and prospects. A group, mind you, that would cause the Jets fanbase to call for the head of everyone in the Jets FO.

There are two players on their current offense (their LG and C) that wouldn't be mistaken for camp fodder by all those here who repeatedly insist how badly the roster sucks if we don't trade up for this rookie or sign (or re-sign) that high-priced veteran. Everyone else was dirt-cheap or a low draft pick (if drafted at all) except Spiller who's getting less than 5 touches a game (or Brad Smith, who touches it even less).

Either they got lucky like no one has a right to get, or they're being coached much better.

I'm not saying they're superbowl champs after 5 weeks or anything. But they're getting a windfall more production out of a group of unheralded players and prospects. A group, mind you, that would cause the Jets fanbase to call for the head of everyone in the Jets FO.

There are two players on their current offense (their LG and C) that wouldn't be mistaken for camp fodder by all those here who repeatedly insist how badly the roster sucks if we don't trade up for this rookie or sign (or re-sign) that high-priced veteran. Everyone else was dirt-cheap or a low draft pick (if drafted at all) except Spiller who's getting less than 5 touches a game (or Brad Smith, who touches it even less).

Either they got lucky like no one has a right to get, or they're being coached much better.

it's both. Gailey has always been a solid offensive mind. The defense is still horrible but it leads the league in turnovers. They remind me of the Jets 2004 team. You knew in the back of your mind watching them they were getting lucky.

If the Bills were 2-3(which the easily could be) are you making this post?

The Jets offense right now is mostly Schotty. The offense is beyond wretched schematically. We got away with it in 2009 because our running game was awesome. Last year our schedule was a joke.

The Jets were due for a change of fortune with the way we run an offense.

it's both. Gailey has always been a solid offensive mind. The defense is still horrible but it leads the league in turnovers. They remind me of the Jets 2004 team. You knew in the back of your mind watching them they were getting lucky.

If the Bills were 2-3(which the easily could be) are you making this post?

The Jets offense right now is mostly Schotty. The offense is beyond wretched schematically. We got away with it in 2009 because our running game was awesome. Last year our schedule was a joke.

The Jets were due for a change of fortune with the way we run an offense.

I'm no fan of his but I don't know how much I agree. He's predictable and stubborn and examples have been cited to death. I have no problem with him being replaced (either play-calling or altogether), and think it's long overdue anyway.

But, as I and several others have mentioned over & over, Schotty doesn't call for Sanchez to throw behind his receivers (or other places where they're not expecting it); he doesn't call for him to not see coverage; he doesn't call for him to not see the open man; he doesn't call for him to not sense the pressure when he should and feel it when it isn't there.

And even on the bad passes, many are still very catch-able by these supposedly-good receiving talents. Does Schotty call for easy passes to be dropped? Does he call for Holmes and his $10M/year deal to give up on routes so often?

Does he call for OLmen to move into space and block no one off to the side while Sanchez gets creamed?

He doesn't call for a lot of things that end up bad. Something has to change and he's easier to replace than Sanchez or any number of other players. But I don't know that it's mostly on Schotty unless the problem with him is overall with his coaching and not just his play calling (which is a distinct possibility).

I'm no fan of his but I don't know how much I agree. He's predictable and stubborn and examples have been cited to death. I have no problem with him being replaced (either play-calling or altogether), and think it's long overdue anyway.

But, as I and several others have mentioned over & over, Schotty doesn't call for Sanchez to throw behind his receivers (or other places where they're not expecting it); he doesn't call for him to not see coverage; he doesn't call for him to not see the open man; he doesn't call for him to not sense the pressure when he should and feel it when it isn't there.

And even on the bad passes, many are still very catch-able by these supposedly-good receiving talents. Does Schotty call for easy passes to be dropped? Does he call for Holmes and his $10M/year deal to give up on routes so often?

Does he call for OLmen to move into space and block no one off to the side while Sanchez gets creamed?

He doesn't call for a lot of things that end up bad. Something has to change and he's easier to replace than Sanchez or any number of other players. But I don't know that it's mostly on Schotty unless the problem with him is overall with his coaching and not just his play calling (which is a distinct possibility).

Hey, I don't think Sanchez is very good either. But if we're going to make a comparison with Buffalo- you have to look at Gailey vs Schotty.

Fitzpatrick isn't that much better than Sanchez. If you gave Sanchez a QB friendly system, with a solid running game and a defense that was forcing turnovers at a record rate...Buffalo would look pretty similar.

The Jets offense has never had a flow to it since Schotty has been here. Even Hackett's had more of a rhythm. The rhythm was slow, boring and methodical, but it was there.

Other than 2009, where we could run teams over- there's been zero identity to Schotty's offense. This is a guy that was consistently lining up Tony Richardson as a wide out.

Offense: we suck and Buffalo doesn't. Why?

Makes me sick. While there are always draft picks we could have or should have made instead, there is a TON of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Some-one or some-many on the Jets are simply not coaching well.

I hear your frustration...looks like you answered your own question and the evidence cited was accurate as always. Cleary, we have to move in another coaching direction to find out if its Sanchez who doesn't take to coaching or the coaches who cannot coach. Schotty should have been out with Mangini and now the albatross slowly slips onto Rex if he doesn't make a move soon. I'm not buying all the denials surrounding the WR coup. Hopefully, where there is smoke there's fire.

I'm not going to sit here and defend Sanchez, but just as a general rule when literally your entire offensive unit is repeatedly failing at basic fundamentals, how does that not come back to coaching? Sure that's not play-calling, but why the hell do these same exact issues persist for 6 years with a completely different set of players that we saw doing the same things back in 2006? The poor coaching starts with practice and preparation and only ends with the play-calling. And the fact is that after tearing through 10 QBs and counting, why is it that every single QB who has played for Schotty seems to actually get progressively worse the more time he spends playing for Schotty? Sanchez may never be any good, but he's just one in a very long list of examples of a constant and consistent failure by this team's OC.

For how long did we have to hear that the reason Penny sucked a$$ was because of Herm, Hackett, the WRs, the TEs, the OL, the RBs, the lack of a QB coach, the fans, the stadium, the wind, the turf... and the list forever went on. But you know what? It turned out that he just sucked and he sucked so bad that as long as he was here so would the offense, and that was never going to change. Now we're hearing the same crap about Schotty and every time the last reason that's the blame for his sucking is gone it's a new one... when really the problem is just that he sucks. Don't get me wrong, I know you're not really defending him and saying he should be given any more chances, but I just literally see absolutely no reason whatsoever to think he deserves even the slightest bit of a benefit of the doubt when these issues have for 6 years followed around this coach, regardless of who's on the field, and not the players who have played for him.

Their fans may not deserve it but their players/coaches don't care...whoever made the calls in the draft room plus the coach and some of the vets puts this team on the come...imagine if Tanny had followed up 2006/2007 drafts with Matt Ryan or McFadden in the first plus a Jordy Nelson or Matt Forte in the second.

You realize all four of those possibilities were impossible right?

Archived