GAME BALLS

Larz

That was a REALLY weird looking play, who was he supposed to covering? Guess zone coverage, but I don't recall seeing him play zone ever.

No, it's man coverage but his 1st responsibility on that play is basically to reroute Jackson off the line. If he breaks outside, his job is to stick with him and keep him from going deep. It's not so much a zone as it is just a basic release due to where Cro goes, but if you watch the play Revis reads Rivers dead to rights as he's sliding back downfield to protect the endzone. It comes off looking like he's just in the right place at the right time, but it's actually a pretty great series of events. It's one of the main things that makes him the best at what he does, he makes WR's go where they don't want to go and forces QB's to react accordingly, and he's able to read them all as it's happening at once.

No, it's man coverage but his 1st responsibility on that play is basically to reroute Jackson off the line. If he breaks outside, his job is to stick with him and keep him from going deep. It's not so much a zone as it is just a basic release due to where Cro goes, but if you watch the play Revis reads Rivers dead to rights as he's sliding back downfield to protect the endzone. It comes off looking like he's just in the right place at the right time, but it's actually a pretty great series of events. It's one of the main things that makes him the best at what he does, he makes WR's go where they don't want to go and forces QB's to react accordingly, and he's able to read them all as it's happening at once.

Absolutely and that's always one of those things that people never give players enough credit for when it seems they were just lucky to be in the right place for an INT. A hell of a lot more often than not, it's because the DB reads the QB and is breaking back towards where the ball is going, even if it's not their coverage assignment. If not for that, then Revis would be another 10 yards downfield and the ball bounces to the turf with nobody close to grabbing it.

This is what I was saying about him the other day when we were comparing him to Deon. Deon let you run your route and just had the insane athletic ability to make up for it and stick on you like glue. Revis dictates your route. Its rare, the only other player that I've seen that does it this as well as him was Woodson. Both very physical corners who essentially ****ed up everything you are trying to do the second that ball is snapped.

Revis is incredible. I've made arguments against him being the best defender in the league...but after watching him the last few games, I dont see how anyone can argue that he's not the best defender in the league. He's incredible. There was about 5 plays where they went after him and at first glance you'd have thought Rivers missed the WR. In fact, the people I was watching it next to were talking about him missing them and Jackson having Revis beat, only to show the replay and Revis was just eating his lunch. Completely blanketed. Guy is unreal

That said, Revis, Burress and Folk for games balls.

Archived