Jets extended Schottys contract??

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://espn.go.com/n...eimer-offseason

After reaching the AFC Championship Game for the second straight year, the New York Jetsquietly extended the contract of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer last offseason, ESPNNewYork.com has learned.

The embattled Schottenheimer is under contract through at least the 2012 season, meaning any decision on his future will involve financial considerations. Typically, the Jets try to avoid lame-duck situations with their coordinators and assistant coaches.

Schottenheimer has come under fire because the Jets (5-5) could miss the playoffs for the first time since 2008. They have dropped two straight, having scored only 29 points in those two games. They're ranked 22nd in total offense. This is the first time in his tenure that he's had the same quarterback,Mark Sanchez, for three straight seasons.

Schottenheimer has been the Jets' coordinator since 2006, when he was hired by Eric Mangini. Rex Ryan retained Schottenheimer when he was hired in 2009.

In the first five seasons under Schottenheimer, the Jets ranked as low as 26th in total offense (2007) and as high as 11th (2010). In scoring, they've ranked as low as 25th (2007) and as high as ninth (2008).

I was just going to post this...

Financial considerations?!!! FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS!!!

Ef yeah their is financial consideration, imagine if we managed to use our A talent and produce an "A" offense...this joke of a coach is going to be here next year after costing us a chance to even be in the playoffs...jesus where is the common sense factor...get rid of this idiot...

Jets extended Brian Schottenheimer during the offseason

Posted by Josh Alper on November 25, 2011, 3:46 PM EST

610x80.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

Several members of the Jets organization have become whipping boys for the team’s fans during the first 10 games of the season, but few have generated as much ire as offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

He’s had remarkable staying power in New York, remaining with the team after Eric Mangini was fired in 2008 and sticking through several seasons when he’s been criticized heavily for his game plans and the lack of progress shown by quarterback Mark Sanchez. In a home loss to the Dolphins late last season, chants of “Fire Schotty” could be heard in the Meadowlands.

This cat still has some more lives left, however. Schottenheimer’s future, or desired lack of one, has been widely discussed over the last two weeks, but he’s got something on his side. Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the teamquietly extended his contract through 2012 during the offseason. Roderick Boone ofNewsday is hearing the same thing and he also reports that defensive coordinator Mike Pettine received the same deal.

The extension doesn’t guarantee Schottenheimer’s return next season. Should the Jets miss the playoffs because the offense continues to sputter, the calls for his head will only get louder. Rex Ryan isn’t going anywhere, so the need for a scapegoat could still lead to Schottenheimer’s ouster. Given how long he’s outrun the axe, though, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Schottenheimer back on the sideline again next season no matter what happens the rest of the way.

I was just going to post this...

Financial considerations?!!! FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS!!!

Ef yeah their is financial consideration, imagine if we managed to use our A talent and produce an "A" offense...this joke of a coach is going to be here next year after costing us a chance to even be in the playoffs...jesus where is the common sense factor...get rid of this idiot...

I am not saying Schott is not part of the problem. In the last Patriots game I called a Jets draw on 3rd and long.

Maybe your offensive talent is not actually A level talent?

Sanchez is a nice QB. WHile he is better than he was his rookie year, he is what he is after 47 games. A good QB, but not an A level talent.

Shonn Greene is a nice RB. That is it. You can insert any number of backs in that backfield and get 3.9 YPC

LT was a great player. He is still effective, but he is nowhere near what he was. If he was, Shonn Greene would not see the field.

Plaxico is what he is. Older and Slower. His numbers this year look just like his numbers when he shot himself which were not very good.

Santonio is good, a tad overrated IMHO, but he does have a knack for spectacular catches at times. Short of his contract year, he had never really been a 70-1100-10TD guy. He

Dustin Keller is a nice weapon, but he is not a Gronkowski type TE. Or a Witten. Or a Tony G.

The only A weapon you have is Joe McKnight's KO returns.

You are deluding yourself if you think a new OC is going to unleash a Patriots, Packers or Colts like offense.

I am not saying Schott is not part of the problem. In the last Patriots game I called a Jets draw on 3rd and long.

Maybe your offensive talent is not actually A level talent?

Sanchez is a nice QB. WHile he is better than he was his rookie year, he is what he is after 47 games. A good QB, but not an A level talent.

Shonn Greene is a nice RB. That is it. You can insert any number of backs in that backfield and get 3.9 YPC

LT was a great player. He is still effective, but he is nowhere near what he was. If he was, Shonn Greene would not see the field.

Plaxico is what he is. Older and Slower. His numbers this year look just like his numbers when he shot himself which were not very good.

Santonio is good, a tad overrated IMHO, but he does have a knack for spectacular catches at times. Short of his contract year, he had never really been a 70-1100-10TD guy. He

Dustin Keller is a nice weapon, but he is not a Gronkowski type TE. Or a Witten. Or a Tony G.

The only A weapon you have is Joe McKnight's KO returns.

You are deluding yourself if you think a new OC is going to unleash a Patriots, Packers or Colts like offense.

Oh please. There is a reason the Pats' players do absolutely sh*t on other teams. It's the Pats' system, and it always has been. Don't act like the Pats have superstars at every position, because they only really have one, and it all starts and ends with Brady. Gronkowski goes from what he is now to a good TE on any other team with a more traditional offense.

Yeah this happened last year.

Sure, but it happened after Christmas, so it's still an early Christmas present. Merry Christmas!

Oh please. There is a reason the Pats' players do absolutely sh*t on other teams. It's the Pats' system, and it always has been. Don't act like the Pats have superstars at every position, because they only really have one, and it all starts and ends with Brady. Gronkowski goes from what he is now to a good TE on any other team with a more traditional offense.

If by Pats system you mean Tom Brady, fine. I think you are actually agreeing with Kansas Hell. He is saying the Jets options aren't A level options. The Pats have Brady, the Packers have Rodgers, the Lions have Johnson. It only takes one of those guys to make everybody else look way better. The Jets have a lot of nice weapons, but there is a big difference between nice and killer. You could bitch about him demeaning Keller compared to Gronkowski, but he certainly hasn't been a WItten or Gonzalez and I probably rate him higher than most Jets fans.

can you be called a scapegoat of you really are the problem...I mean shotty is the problem, callahan would be his scapegoat right? i mean you cant say the jets scape goat is shotty, you can say the jets effing problem is shotty, good lord its shotty

Just so there's no confusion, yes. Yes to all of this actually. You can't say the Jets' scape goat is Shotty becuase Shotty is the problem and Callahan is the scapegoat.

Do not get your panties in a bunch.

This is not about the Patriots and nowhere did I make a comparison between the Patriots and Jets.

If anything you missed the forest for the trees.

It is not just your OC. Go look at your QB and his supporting cast.

None of them are great. So the original post I quoted saying it is an "A" supporting cast is a gross over estimation.

It is a B supporting case who on ocassion can give A performances. Nothing more.

Again, it is not just your OC.

I do not disagree with your take either. Brady does make a lot of players. Prime example: Deoin Branch.

IMHO you underestimate Gronk. While some of his success is no doubt attributed to Brady, there must be a reason he has 20 TDs out of Brady's last 61. He is that good. He is a physical mis-match. That will still be apparent on another team. Unlike Deoin who has a Superbowl MVP and some nice numbers with Brady and not much without.

Archived