The Giants got jerked...

THE ILK

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/coughlin_sick_over_photo_of_ballard_wVFNtyBK9xCNGHn8YNGOJM

The Giants are sure the calls did not go their way in Sunday’s last-second 38-35 loss to the still-undefeated Packers. And, at least in one case, they have the picture to prove it.

“I just saw a picture that made me sick to my stomach,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said yesterday, and the fact he believes what’s in the picture validates his case didn’t help ease his queasiness.

Coughlin during the game — the Giants’ fourth consecutive loss — lost two replay challenges and firmly believes he should have won the first one, which could have altered the outcome.

06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

REFS KNEED GLASSES: Tom Coughlin said he was sick to his stomach after seeing photos of a play he challenged in which Jake Ballard (right) got his knee down in the end zone for a touchdown. But, the referees upheld their call of an incomplete pass.

06.1s089.Serby1--300x300.jpg

Getty Images

SEEING RED: Tom Coughlin, holding the red challenge flag during Sunday’s 38-35 loss to the Packers, continued to challenge the referees yesterday.

Coughlin first took a look at what he believes is firm evidence there was a blown call when he was handed a picture general manager Jerry Reese was carrying around. In the shot — taken from a freeze frame of a replay from the FOX broadcast — tight end Jake Ballard in the first quarter appears to have his right knee hit down just inside the side of the end zone before sliding out of bounds.

Refs do no look at still photos when reviewing a call.

UPDATES FROM OUR GIANTS BLOG

It would have been a 20-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning on a third down play to give the Giants a 14-7 lead. Instead, it was ruled an incomplete pass because the ruling on the field was Ballard had landed out of bounds. Lawrence Tynes hit a 38-yard field goal to put the Giants up 10-7.

The initial replays shown by FOX seemed to indicate Ballard was out of bounds when making the diving catch, but a still shot from behind the end zone appears to reveal that Ballard just dragged his right knee in. Coughlin didn’t see that shot when he threw the red replay challenge flag, but he felt it was close enough to contest. After the review, referee Jeff Triplette announced Ballard’s knee had hit out of bounds and Coughlin lost the challenge. Of course, in order for a call on the field to be reversed there has to be irrefutable evidence.

“He’s in,’’ Coughlin said of the picture he saw. “Don’t ask me about that because I really don’t know why. I challenged the Ballard thing, no question about that one. I wasn’t going to not challenge that and have somebody tell me, ‘You know he was in?’”

Coughlin’s second lost challenge came in the third quarter when he contested a seven-yard completion to Donald Driver, directly in front of the Giants sideline. It was a third-and-3 conversion for a first down on the Giants 33-yard line and Coughlin threw the red flag, challenging that Driver got both feet inbounds. Replays indicated he did and Coughlin lost that one as well. Five plays later, the Packers were in the end zone for a 28-17 lead.

Coughlin admitted he didn’t think he would win the challenge but figured it was worth a shot.

“The second one I really shouldn’t have challenged,’’ said Coughlin, who has lost his last four replay challenges. “I’ve been overly aggressive with those calls, not waiting for any kind of advice from upstairs. I’ve done so for a number of reasons. The one on the sideline I was upset, I really was, it was third and three and I thought we had ’em stopped.’’

There were other calls that irked the Giants, including a pass interference penalty on Prince Amukamara and especially an illegal contact call on linebacker Jacquian Williams when Packers tight end Jermichael Finely might have initiated the minimal contact on a play where the Giants sacked Aaron Rodgers.

“Could have definitely let it go,’’ safety Antrel Rolle said. “Could have given us one, you know what I mean? Could have given us one out of the 18.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/coughlin_sick_over_photo_of_ballard_wVFNtyBK9xCNGHn8YNGOJM#ixzz1flhgxeP0

That first picture was a tough call..I watched that play live and watched all the replays, it was going to be tough to over turn based on the replay. That still picture makes it look like they got it wrong, but definitely a tough call.

That first picture was a tough call..I watched that play live and watched all the replays, it was going to be tough to over turn based on the replay. That still picture makes it look like they got it wrong, but definitely a tough call.

They need to take this out of the ref's and the coaches hands.

They should have a centralized department handling this, like the NHL does.

They should definitely be looking at the stills.

"especially an illegal contact call on linebacker Jacquian Williams when Packers tight end Jermichael Finely might have initiated the minimal contact on a play where the Giants sacked Aaron Rodgers."

THIS was an absolute crime.....this rule has to be looked at...first of all when a guy is running at you, are you supposed to get out of the way and say please just go by? Secondly it had no impact on the play, I guarantee you that Rodgers couldn't even see Finley beause JPP was too busy wrapping him up on a sack.....It shouldn't be automatic first down, 5 yard penalty maybe for incidental contact...but the auto-1st down is too much of a gamechanger.

http://www.nypost.co...K9xCNGHn8YNGOJM

The Giants are sure the calls did not go their way in Sunday’s last-second 38-35 loss to the still-undefeated Packers. And, at least in one case, they have the picture to prove it.

“I just saw a picture that made me sick to my stomach,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said yesterday, and the fact he believes what’s in the picture validates his case didn’t help ease his queasiness.

Coughlin during the game — the Giants’ fourth consecutive loss — lost two replay challenges and firmly believes he should have won the first one, which could have altered the outcome.

06.1s089.Ballard1--300x300.jpg

REFS KNEED GLASSES: Tom Coughlin said he was sick to his stomach after seeing photos of a play he challenged in which Jake Ballard (right) got his knee down in the end zone for a touchdown. But, the referees upheld their call of an incomplete pass.

06.1s089.Serby1--300x300.jpg

Getty Images

SEEING RED: Tom Coughlin, holding the red challenge flag during Sunday’s 38-35 loss to the Packers, continued to challenge the referees yesterday.

Coughlin first took a look at what he believes is firm evidence there was a blown call when he was handed a picture general manager Jerry Reese was carrying around. In the shot — taken from a freeze frame of a replay from the FOX broadcast — tight end Jake Ballard in the first quarter appears to have his right knee hit down just inside the side of the end zone before sliding out of bounds.

Refs do no look at still photos when reviewing a call.

UPDATES FROM OUR GIANTS BLOG

It would have been a 20-yard touchdown pass from Eli Manning on a third down play to give the Giants a 14-7 lead. Instead, it was ruled an incomplete pass because the ruling on the field was Ballard had landed out of bounds. Lawrence Tynes hit a 38-yard field goal to put the Giants up 10-7.

The initial replays shown by FOX seemed to indicate Ballard was out of bounds when making the diving catch, but a still shot from behind the end zone appears to reveal that Ballard just dragged his right knee in. Coughlin didn’t see that shot when he threw the red replay challenge flag, but he felt it was close enough to contest. After the review, referee Jeff Triplette announced Ballard’s knee had hit out of bounds and Coughlin lost the challenge. Of course, in order for a call on the field to be reversed there has to be irrefutable evidence.

“He’s in,’’ Coughlin said of the picture he saw. “Don’t ask me about that because I really don’t know why. I challenged the Ballard thing, no question about that one. I wasn’t going to not challenge that and have somebody tell me, ‘You know he was in?’”

Coughlin’s second lost challenge came in the third quarter when he contested a seven-yard completion to Donald Driver, directly in front of the Giants sideline. It was a third-and-3 conversion for a first down on the Giants 33-yard line and Coughlin threw the red flag, challenging that Driver got both feet inbounds. Replays indicated he did and Coughlin lost that one as well. Five plays later, the Packers were in the end zone for a 28-17 lead.

Coughlin admitted he didn’t think he would win the challenge but figured it was worth a shot.

“The second one I really shouldn’t have challenged,’’ said Coughlin, who has lost his last four replay challenges. “I’ve been overly aggressive with those calls, not waiting for any kind of advice from upstairs. I’ve done so for a number of reasons. The one on the sideline I was upset, I really was, it was third and three and I thought we had ’em stopped.’’

There were other calls that irked the Giants, including a pass interference penalty on Prince Amukamara and especially an illegal contact call on linebacker Jacquian Williams when Packers tight end Jermichael Finely might have initiated the minimal contact on a play where the Giants sacked Aaron Rodgers.

“Could have definitely let it go,’’ safety Antrel Rolle said. “Could have given us one, you know what I mean? Could have given us one out of the 18.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...M#ixzz1flhgxeP0

No simpathy here...the Jets have gotten so many go against them in the past I can't even count them....Giants, get used to it.

I have seen the Giants benefit from terrible calls in at least 3 games this season. Most of it has to do with fumbles... they constantly fumble it and get a break from the refs.

I mean of all the teams to complain... the kind of stupid breaks that the Giants get from the refs... you owed them a ton of mistakes the other way.

The fact that the coach said this made him sick to my stomach makes me happy it happened... Giants had plenty of shots to win this game, and every view I've seen besides that one made it look out of bounds

He's walking around with that picture. :rl:

**** the Church Lady. I thought he was out and I don't see that still proving anything. I'm not completely sure that his knee is down. I saw the play from a few angles. From one it looked like his knee was clearly down in bounds. From others it looked like it hit the line when it first dropped. As for taking it out of the coaches and the officials hands, it was. IIRC, that stupid **** had burned all his challenges on plays he would obviously lose on and the only reason that was reviewed was that it was a scoring play. Wah! Wah! Wah!

**** the Church Lady. I thought he was out and I don't see that still proving anything. I'm not completely sure that his knee is down. I saw the play from a few angles. From one it looked like his knee was clearly down in bounds. From others it looked like it hit the line when it first dropped. As for taking it out of the coaches and the officials hands, it was. IIRC, that stupid **** had burned all his challenges on plays he would obviously lose on and the only reason that was reviewed was that it was a scoring play. Wah! Wah! Wah!

I thought he was out too.

If you give up that many points, bitching about a call in the 1st quarter is idiocy. Yeah, Triplette sucks. But so does your defense. And badly. No doubt if need be Rodgers would've simply still scored more points against that overrated bunch of crybabies.

Okay. That's wrong. It wasn't a TD, so they had to challenge. It also was the first quarter, so their other challege came later. They had about 5 calls challenged and lost them all. I don't think there was a single play in the Giants favor that the Packers even cared about.

Yeah that game was really poorly officiated.

I was watching that game with Packer fans and we all thought the exact same thing. Every call went for the Packers, even past the challenges themselves, but just the holding calls and PI's calls. Really seems like the NFL wants an undefeated team.

Such a load, the Patriots got the same treatment in their run.

?

his knee isn't down

look at the shadow

His knee, in that shot, is also several inches within bounds. Even if there is a tiny, tiny space between his knee and the ground in that shot, it would have been physically impossible to drag the knee out of bounds without contacting the ground before going out.

Besides which, there's the "catch" for a touchdown a Packer made later where it is clear he never held the ball snugly. To cover the call, the TV announcer was babbling on and on about there being "a measure of control with the left hand" as the ball was moving around the receiver's body, supposedly making it a TD.

Talk about hilarious. How many catches have we seen this year where the receiver goes out of bounds with both hands on the ball and everything is fine until there is the slightest movement of the ball detectable after the player has hit the ground. Those catches are called incomplete all the time, because "you have to maintain full control of the ball throughout the play, even when you're lying on the ground". Yet here's this ball travelling all over the receiver's rib, chest and hip for entire duration of the "catch", and they call it a TD. What BS.

His knee, in that shot, is also several inches within bounds. Even if there is a tiny, tiny space between his knee and the ground in that shot, it would have been physically impossible to drag the knee out of bounds without contacting the ground before going out.

looks more like a full inch or more off the ground

fact is, that pic is no smoking gun

Besides which, there's the "catch" for a touchdown a Packer made later where it is clear he never held the ball snugly. To cover the call, the TV announcer was babbling on and on about there being "a measure of control with the left hand" as the ball was moving around the receiver's body, supposedly making it a TD.

Talk about hilarious. How many catches have we seen this year where the receiver goes out of bounds with both hands on the ball and everything is fine until there is the slightest movement of the ball detectable after the player has hit the ground. Those catches are called incomplete all the time, because "you have to maintain full control of the ball throughout the play, even when you're lying on the ground". Yet here's this ball travelling all over the receiver's rib, chest and hip for entire duration of the "catch", and they call it a TD. What BS.

The new rules being moronic doesn't make that any less of a catch. You can still actually catch the ball with one hand. I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd overturned that, but I still thought it was a catch. I like it this way because if this were Rex I'd be hearing about how classless the Jets and their fans are, but I'm supposed to feel bad for the Church Lady giving himself an ulcer.,

You can catch the ball with one hand, yes, but the ball has to be snugged up against the body and held steady.

Here, the left hand might have had contact with the ball throughout the catch, but the ball was moving all over the receiver's body and that control by the left hand looked mighty tenuous several times. I've seen too many catches where the receiver held the ball far more snugly called incomplete this year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d824c09b0/Gameday-Packers-vs-Giants-highlights

1:46 of the video

You can catch the ball with one hand, yes, but the ball has to be snugged up against the body and held steady.

Here, the left hand might have had contact with the ball throughout the catch, but the ball was moving all over the receiver's body and that control by the left hand looked mighty tenuous several times. I've seen too many catches where the receiver held the ball far more snugly called incomplete this year.

http://www.nfl.com/v...ants-highlights

1:46 of the video

I'm not talking about the bullsh*t rule. I'm talking about catching the ball with one hand. It's possible that it's not a catch by the new rule - I basically stopped paying attention after the Calvin Johnson fiasco opening day last year. I have literally caught thousands of balls (prepare comments) with one hand without them ever touching my body. It's an actual drill most teams use. There is no reason to cradle the ball against your body, though I guess it's possible these idiots made it a rule. The new rules are moronic. Can't watch the video now, but I saw it about 45 times on Sunday.

Fair enough, you can catch the ball one hand w/o cradling it against the body, but in games they usually do.

Regardless, you have to have full control of the ball, and Jennings didn't, (at least as far as I can see). If you've seen it 45 times I guess your mind is made up. As for myself, I honestly don't see how they could call it complete.

In my opinion, if you catch the ball with one hand, two hands makes no difference, as long as the ball is in your hands. The rules suck, with regards to what a catch is, the ground can't cause a fumble right?..then how many times this year have we seen the call go the other way???? In any event, screw the the Giants....

Archived