Brian Schottenheimer To Miami?? (Merged 2X)

SoFlaJets

Brian Schottenheimer: Will He Be with the Jets Next Season?

December 16th, 2011 at 5:00 PM

By Chris Tripodi

Many Jets fans may find the notion that Brian Schottenheimer could find work as an NFL head coach crazy, considering his sometimes-uneven performance as the Jets' offensive coordinator over the past few seasons. The truth is that Schottenheimer has been a hot candidate for a few seasons now and the bloodlines are there as the son of former head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez embraces offensive coach Brian Schottenheimer (L) after he threw a last second touchdown to beat the Houston Texans in their National Football League game in East Rutherford, New Jersey, November 21, 2010. REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

4a8b7q6z5v14.jpg

RAY STUBBLEBINE/Reuters/Fotoglif

In 2007, Schottenheimer was considered for the Miami Dolphins head coaching job that went to recently-fired Tony Sparano. Schottenheimer may have gotten the job if he hadn't withdrawn his name and decided to stay with the Jets.

Schottenheimer did the same thing with the Buffalo Bills in 2010, pulling his name out of the running to be their head coach. Buffalo eventually hired Chan Gailey to replace Dick Jauron. If it was a winning environment Schottenheimer wanted, he certainly made the right move not going to either Miami or Buffalo considering the teams' struggles this season.

It was only a few weeks ago that many Jets fans were calling for Schottenheimer's job after the team dropped to 5-5 with a Thursday night loss to the Denver Broncos. Little did fans know that the coordinator's job was safe as a result of a secret extension signed in the offseason that nobody knew about until it was reported by ESPNNewYork.com.

As deceitful as it was for the organization to extend an unpopular member of the coaching staff, it's funny how Schottenheimer recently responded to the rumors of him potentially taking a head-coaching job elsewhere.

"This is the time of year for people to speculate and talk, this is the time of year for us to work. We're trying to make a push. I'm just happy to have a job. A few weeks ago, if you would've asked people, I'd be lucky to have a job."

Jets fans and many others around the league definitely echo Schottenheimer's sentiments that he was lucky to have a job a few weeks ago with the way he and the offense were performing. It took the arrival of Tom Moore at the Jets' facility to add some creativity to a gameplan that had lacked anything fun and different for the entire season.

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, Schottenheimer may once again get strong consideration for the Dolphins job again. It's difficult to see him taking it after rejecting the team four years ago and having to face the Jets twice a year but considering his flaws that have been exposed in recent seasons, it wouldn't be surprising to see him take another position around the league while he can still get one.

I doubt Schottenheimer has any interest in the Jaguars job, as Blaine Gabbert is much more of a project than Mark Sanchez. The same likely goes for the Tampa Bay position if Raheem Morris is let go with Josh Freeman's regression this season.

Kansas City remains an option as would both St. Louis or San Diego if Steve Spagnuolo or Norv Turner got fired. Schottenheimer was the quarterbacks coach with the Chargers for four seasons from 2002-05 during his father's tenure as head coach.

If Schottenheimer was smart, he would take a head coaching position in the offseason if it was offered to him. His appeal has fallen off significantly as the Jets' offense has struggled this season and, unless Mark Sanchez can quickly turn things around for the rest of the season and into 2012, Schottenheimer's days as a hot coaching candidate may soon be over.

Most Jets fans wouldn't be sad to see Schottenheimer go, especially if the team could convince Tom Moore to expand his role in New York from consultant to offensive coordinator. That seems unlikely considering Moore's recent "retirement," but crazier things have happened.

Considering the Jets' offensive performance in the two games since Moore has been on the sidelines, fans would probably be happier to see him calling plays than the embattled Schottenheimer. Assistant head coach Bill Callahan is another option with four years of experiences as an offensive coordinator with the Raiders, but the team could also bring in outside help if Schottenheimer indeed decides to leave.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dolphins rumored to eye Jets' Schottenheimer as coach

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:00 AM, December 16, 2011

Posted: 3:41 AM, December 16, 2011

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s name has come up as a candidate to replace Tony Sparano as Dolphins head coach.

Schottenheimer, a frequent target of criticism from Jets fans, downplayed his interest in a head coaching job at the moment.

“I’m just happy to have a job,” Schottenheimer said. “A few weeks ago, if you’d asked people, I’d be lucky to have a job. This is the time of year to speculate and talk, this is the time of year for us to work. We’re trying to make a push. We played well this time of year the last couple years, I think we’re hopefully hitting that stride. But again, I’m thrilled with where I’m at, and hopefully we can take this thing a long way.”

FOLLOW BRIAN ON TWITTER

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

The Jets extended Schottenheimer’s contract through 2013 last winter. The offense is ranked 25th in the NFL and has struggled for long stretches this season. Schottenheimer was a candidate for the Dolphins head coaching job in 2007 and the Bills job in 2009. The Jets also considered him for the head coaching job before hiring Rex Ryan.

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine also has been mentioned as a head coaching candidate at Penn State. Pettine has strong ties to Pennsylvania, where his father was a legendary high school coach.

“I’m thrilled where I am,” Pettine said. “There’s not much interest there. There hasn’t been contact either way. So I just think that was somebody that did the math: Pennsylvania background, opening at a Pennsylvania school. So I guess the next will be I’m up for the Pitt job, I guess.”

What a bad hire that would be from a PR standpoint. Thats not a Schotty bash either, just that that is a franchise that went the inexperienced assistant route and it did not work. If ever there was a team in need of a "name hire" its Miami. From the comments the owner made I thought he wanted Gruden.

As soon as I read the "young Don Shula" comment from their scumbag owner, I knew they would at least kick the tires on Schotty.

Frankly, I would LOVE to see what Rex's defense does to a Matt Moore led Schotty offense twice next season... will be a huge facepalm moment for Rex when he gameplans against Schotty and realizes what he has been sticking up for for the past couple years.

As deceitful as it was for the organization to extend an unpopular member of the coaching staff, it's funny how Schottenheimer recently responded to the rumors of him potentially taking a head-coaching job elsewhere.

Deceitful? The Jets only responsibility is to do what they feel helps them win games. They don't have to worry about popularity or fan opinion. Not sure why the Schotty extension was deceitful.

Bad move? That is certainly debatable....

Deceitful? The Jets only responsibility is to do what they feel helps them win games. They don't have to worry about popularity or fan opinion. Not sure why the Schotty extension was deceitful.

Bad move? That is certainly debatable....

My theory is this: the Jets really like Brian and instead of just firing him after we don't make either the playoffs or the super bowl I think them bringing in Tom Morre to "help" with the offense was in part to help Schottenheimer not look so bad and give him a better chance at one of the 8 or so head coaching positions coming open after the new year. Look, had the Jets just sihtcanned him and pretty much put the blame on him for our offensive failures this year, with Moore on the scene the Jets have scored more points than ANY other offense out there this month. I swear I think he ends up in Kansas City. I DO think the Jets feel they "owe" Schotty something and like him and his family and want to see him continue on in this league-just not with the Jets anymore after the season ends...

I think he ends up in Kansas City

that would be perfect bro - let him bring his brand of "really smart" football to that sh1thole and impart it to the band of schwances currently in place. Then he can rot with a few >5 win seasons till they fire him and he goes where he belongs - div lll college ball

He's got to go and they are all finally saying it on Post Game Live-no more pulling punches and being politically correct the Jets will NEVER win a or even GET to a Super Bowl with this guy running the offense-and it doesn't matter WHO the QB is, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning combined couldn't make it there in a Schottenheimer run offense-no WAY can a mid tier QB like Sanchez do it

Archived