And So It Has Begun...The Rumblings About Sanchez' Future here

SoFlaJets

Josh McCown last night-19/28, 2 TDsm 242 yards, 8 rushes for 38 yards, no sacks, 2 INTs. This is what a competent backup looks like, or someone like that, that you can bring in when Sanchez is having his annual messy game or 2.

One due diligence thing the Jets have to do; keep track of Brees and his refusal to sign a new long-term contract.He will be 33 next season, which is no big deal since he stays in great shape. The Saints will undoubtedly franchise him, and by all accounts he is salt of the earth good guy. But business is business. And if you can get a top 4 QB somehow you have to consider it.

You give up the 2 1st for Brees if the opportunity presents itself. Sign him to a 5 year deal, draft a QB in year 3 or 4 as his replacement.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure was. I remember watching him in the Oregon St game and posting on the tools he obviously had. I was also high on him last year after the fast start he had, but that dwindled pretty quickly and ever since then I've been on the "yeah, his play is definitely concerning" train, and around week 2-3 of this year I pretty much threw in the towel. Once Penningtonology made its way into the discussion it was pretty obvious you could stick a fork in him. All in all I'd say I was a lot more patient with him than my cycloptic colleagues.

Best believe he's going to be the standard now for experience in scouting QB prospects. 1 year clearly just isn't enough.

I went the exact opposite route. Hated the Sanchez pick. But after I started watching him in the playoffs his first 2 years, against my better judgement, he really won me over.

Seemed like a player who really reacted well to big games, and pressure in the 4th

The OL situation makes it very hard to rate him this season. With Moore, and Mangold being hurt early in the season. Hunter and Mulligan sucking so bad, Sanchez seems to have gotten that terrified deer look about him.

IMO they have to finish the hand with him. Fire Schotty, promote Callahan, fire Hunter, and Mulligan. if we are still sitting here with the same questions next year, then it's time to move on.

My worst nightmare would be to see Manning carted off the field in week 2 next season, and have Sanchez lead the Fish to a Super Bowl.

Kindda ironic. Replace a QB in his 3rd season in the NFL with a QB who was benched in his 3rd season in the NFL!

Yeah it is

With that said I would still do the deal if Brees is available. He says he's not signing the tag. We'll see. I have a hard time seeing him leave the Saints, and if he dose he is going to be EXPENSIVE.

I think the Jets have a decent back up on the roster right now. I really like McElroy. I was stunned he was still there in the 7th

You give up the 2 1st for Brees if the opportunity presents itself. Sign him to a 5 year deal, draft a QB in year 3 or 4 as his replacement.

Are the Jets a QB away though?

I understand its a QB league and Sanchez is our biggest issue, but the entire offense lacking talent pretty much at every position besides left tackle and center.

Ken O'Brien was sacked more times than the rest of the AFC East combined but when he had time to throw it he didn't miss a wide-open Wesley Walker or Mickey Shuler. Sanchez DOES have open wr's he either misses the window to throw it or he misses the wide open throw.

The whole "hit too much" argument is lame. A Rodgers has probably been hit just as much as Sanchez this year.

The difference is the Jets dont give Sanchez the freedom to hang himself the way the Jets would O'Brien. They have treated Sanchez so much as the reason for losing rather than ever making him believe that he could be the reason for winning that you get all the crazy throws. Im sure he has so much stuff floating around in his head that its a mess in the game for him. Hesitation in the NFL is a killer. Rodgers is a different animal. Guys been around the league a long time now. Vets dont get shellshocked the same way. Maybe within one game they do but it does not affect them week to week.

If the Jets are retaining Schotty I expect them to make a play for Drew Brees. NO is not looking to pay him like Brady and Manning (if they were they would have done it already) which means the Jets can find ways to structure a deal to make it impossible for NO to match. I think that is more realistic than Manning at this point and probably less cost.

Sure was. I remember watching him in the Oregon St game and posting on the tools he obviously had. I was also high on him last year after the fast start he had, but that dwindled pretty quickly and ever since then I've been on the "yeah, his play is definitely concerning" train, and around week 2-3 of this year I pretty much threw in the towel. Once Penningtonology made its way into the discussion it was pretty obvious you could stick a fork in him. All in all I'd say I was a lot more patient with him than my cycloptic colleagues.

Best believe he's going to be the standard now for experience in scouting QB prospects. 1 year clearly just isn't enough.

Right, the point I was trying to make is that some of the people who are now considered "haters" originally liked him. Some folks seem to think that those that knock him only due so to be :right

I understand its a QB league and Sanchez is our biggest issue, but the entire offense is servely lacking talent.

It's a QB league. Which is how the Colts go from winning a division with a GOAT QB to winning 2 games. The rules are designed to protect QBs and encourage downfiield passing. When Ryan says "We aren't built for that", it's kind of scary a. he drafted Sanchez to be exactly that or worse b. he doesne't get that "ground and pound' can only go so far..

The whole "if only we had a great RB/great OL/great WRs" meme is a replay of the Pennington. And further Sanchez, Holmes and to a lesser degree Burress are being paid among the highest in the nFL at their positions.

Will grant you Keller makes me throw stuff at the TV every freaking game. If her were minimially competent the Jets would probably have 2 more wins. Keller seems to have NO IDEA where the ball is in crucial spots every game.

It's a QB league. Which is how the Colts go from winning a division with a GOAT QB to winning 2 games. The rules are designed to protect QBs and encourage downfiield passing. When Ryan says "We aren't built for that", it's kind of scary a. he drafted Sanchez to be exactly that or worse b. he doesne't get that "ground and pound' can only go so far..

The whole "if only we had a great RB/great OL/great WRs" meme is a replay of the Pennington. And further Sanchez, Holmes and to a lesser degree Burress are being paid among the highest in the nFL at their positions.

Will grant you Keller makes me throw stuff at the TV every freaking game. If her were minimially competent the Jets would probably have 2 more wins. Keller seems to have NO IDEA where the ball is in crucial spots every game.

The Saints have speed and talent at every position. Holmes is the only talented player on the Jets offense right now. Greene is ok, I guess. But he still cant catch or break tackles like he should. LT is finished, McKnight is awful, Plax also finished, Keller just embarrassing, Kerley- meh, promising rookie I guess. Mulligan, Turner both useless.

When compared to the Saints, it really shouldnt even cross Brees' mind to conisder the Jets.

If the Jets are retaining Schotty I expect them to make a play for Drew Brees. NO is not looking to pay him like Brady and Manning (if they were they would have done it already) which means the Jets can find ways to structure a deal to make it impossible for NO to match. I think that is more realistic than Manning at this point and probably less cost.

They're not retaining schotty and no way brees leaves NO imo

Drew Brees would've made a phenomenal hire back in 2006...unfortunately, it was not by the Jets...I just don't think he makes sense at this point...plus I'd imagine the compensation would be at least two number ones...does that makes us more competitive for a SB run...to me it smacks as another high profile signing where the Jets sign a player who has already accomplished something versus seeking the player on the upswing of excellence...it sells tickets...unsure of the SB potential.

Right, the point I was trying to make is that some of the people who are now considered "haters" originally liked him. Some folks seem to think that those that knock him only due so to be :right

The funny part is that I would have been so much more patient with him than years past if he'd just not progressed more and more into a giant pussy as the year went on. I saw the replay of that safety and was just like 'Jesus, he's just completely terrified to step up and make a play anymore, get rid of the ball dude, or move, do something other than just willingly get raped.' I think he's definitely damaged goods at this point. He may eventually recover but that will be way down the line and certainly not on the Jets.

Everything has gotten more and more unimpressive. Even the decline in INT's didn't matter because it's come from Schott relegating him to nothing more than a broken puppet. Plus the fumbles, but I would have happily taken those if every single gameplan on all sides of the ball didn't have to revolve around keeping the game out of his hands.

The funny part is that I would have been so much more patient with him than years past if he'd just not progressed more and more into a giant pussy as the year went on. I saw the replay of that safety and was just like 'Jesus, he's just completely terrified to step up and make a play anymore, get rid of the ball dude, or move, do something other than just willingly get raped.' I think he's definitely damaged goods at this point. He may eventually recover but that will be way down the line and certainly not on the Jets.

Everything has gotten more and more unimpressive. Even the decline in INT's didn't matter because it's come from Schott relegating him to nothing more than a broken puppet. Plus the fumbles, but I would have happily taken those if every single gameplan on all sides of the ball didn't have to revolve around keeping the game out of his hands.

I fear the same thing RJF, that he's turned into "damaged goods" the same way that it happened to David Carr in Houston.

I think he was dead upon arrival. He's had a perfect situation here. This is the first season he had to face some adversity in terms of the talent surrounding him not playing well and he couldnt pick up the slack.

I think he was dead upon arrival. He's had a perfect situation here. This is the first season he had to face some adversity in terms of the talent surrounding him not playing well and he couldnt pick up the slack.

Amen dude. Kid lost his RT and you'd think Tannenbaum shoved a pinecone up his a$$ instead. Losers cry about doing their best.

the good news is as of right now we still can't really be sure if it is Sanchez or the offensive system that they are trying to run.

There are also people who insist that we still can't really be sure whether the financial crisis was caused by the existence of an unregulated market for securities that exist exclusively for gambling purposes or improvident borrowing. I don't understand why people who are wrong about everything get to decide when it's time for other people to be right.

There are also people who insist that we still can't really be sure whether the financial crisis was caused by the existence of an unregulated market for securities that exist exclusively for gambling purposes or improvident borrowing. I don't understand why people who are wrong about everything get to decide when it's time for other people to be right.

Yeah man, thats right ,Schotteneimers fault.

LOL. You guys are smoking some good crap if you think Sanchez is done here.

Sanchez, year 3: 79.0 rating

Eli, year 3: 77.0 rating

Hasselbeck, year 3: 70.9 rating

Brees, year 3: 67.5 rating

Just some comparisons for you. Certainly, you can find better, but that's not the issue. When it comes to 1st round franchise QB's, you stick to your guns.

Just some comparisons for you. Certainly, you can find better, but that's not the issue. When it comes to 1st round franchise QB's, you stick to your guns.

He's got at least another year here after they fire Schottenheimer UNLESS they can pull a deal for a Drew Brees or Peyton manning

He's got at least another year here after they fire Schottenheimer UNLESS they can pull a deal for a Drew Brees or Peyton manning

There's not a Jets fan in the world that wouldn't be jumping for joy to see that, but at some point, don't you want the madness to end? Don't you want to stick with a franchise potential QB and not have to do this stuf every 3 years? I do.

I don't see what evidence there is at this point that he's going to be much better than this in 2 years. And if that's the case, then what's the point? No coordinator alive is capable of fixing all of this sh*t in a reasonable amount of time. He's better off being a backup somewhere for a few years, preferably somewhere like Kansas City or St Louis, where everyone else in the country whose dreams have died go to live.

I don't see what evidence there is at this point that he's going to be much better than this in 2 years. And if that's the case, then what's the point? No coordinator alive is capable of fixing all of this sh*t in a reasonable amount of time. He's better off being a backup somewhere for a few years, preferably somewhere like Kansas City or St Louis, where everyone else in the country whose dreams have died go to live.

I disagree, a consistent offensive line would do wonders for fixing many of the problems that have arisen this season. Give me a reasonable alternative to dumping Sanchez for another rookie at this point. Manning is risky at this point, and then the Jets put all their eggs in one basket for one season, and then what, they are back up sh*t creek with another rookie again

I disagree, a consistent offensive line would do wonders for fixing many of the problems that have arisen this season. Give me a reasonable alternative to dumping Sanchez for another rookie at this point. Manning is risky at this point, and then the Jets put all their eggs in one basket for one season, and then what, they are back up sh*t creek with another rookie again

If the key to this team is really the offensive line and not the quarterback then there is absolutely no chance of the Jets winning a Super Bowl with Mark Sanchez. Defenses have bad games, offensive lines have down seasons, all teams have transitions in their running games sometimes. No franchise has elite units on all ends of the ball that they surround their quarterbacks with. The one guy on a team who is supposed to be able to make up for all of this wearing a Jet uniform on gameday can't. He certainly has shown nothing to lead one to believe that it will happen in the near future. Every year used on him henceforth is a year wasted by not trying to find someone else.

F-Chowds-what it has come down to is there is dissension on this team-there are two camps: those who believe in "Schotty" (like Sanchez and apparently Rex Ryan) and the rest of the team. As I said in another thread Bart Scott was yelling and cursing at Sanchez for "going away from what was working"-according to eyewitnesses close to the sidelines. This is a team in disarray a team that doesn't even WANT to be embarrassed in front of the whole world one more time up in Foxborough with a team that they KNOW doesn't have what it takes to even be competitive against a 2011 style of NFL offense. the Jets are playing 2009 football against a league that has figured it and Rex Ryan out and moved beyond what they can now handle. The Jets aren't built to play throw the ball to the TE's or attack the slow LBers and safeties football and they know it.

And there it is the money. You can not win a championship in today's NFL with this style of offence. Now who fault is it? Is it Mark's for not being able to execute and or not the physical or mental ability to run a offence like that , Shotty for horrific play calling, or Rex for being to effen stubborn to realize G&P is not going to win ball games in 2011

At USC, his primary target was almost always open. He's a decent athlete with almost no understanding of how to play QB at the NFL level. Blame the coaches if you want, but there's a lot more good athletes on this earth than there are NFL caliber QBs. Some people just don't get it. Sanchez looks like one of them.

As an aside, you've still got the best avatar I've seen. Those kids must be grown up a bit by now, right?

Yes Eric they celebrated there 2nd birthday in November.

datwins.jpg

I understand its a QB league and Sanchez is our biggest issue, but the entire offense lacking talent pretty much at every position besides left tackle and center.

With Brees, I think this team is a legitimate contender. I don't think they're the best in the league, but I believe they could beat anyone. With Sanchez, this team has one win against a team with a winning record.

I don't watch enough college ball. I was hopeful that he'd be good. I was the same way with Gholston. Unfortunately, hope was all I had.

D. Carr, year 3: 85.3 rating

J. Harrington, year 3: 77.5 rating

K. Boller, year 3: 71.8 rating

JP Losman, year 3: 83.9 rating

T. Couch, year 3: 73.1 rating

M. Leinart, year 3: 80.2 rating

Aliki Smith, year 3: 73.4 rating

Archived