And So It Has Begun...The Rumblings About Sanchez' Future here

SoFlaJets

Jets have a decision to make on Sanchez

Posted by Mike Florio on December 25, 2011, 8:22 AM EST

sanchez1-e1324819344468.jpg?w=250

As the New York Jets begin to process the reality that there most likely will be no back-door path to the playoffs followed by a couple of unlikely road wins in the postseason, one of the factors the franchise will confront is the future of quarterback Mark Sanchez.

A league source tells PFT that the Jets are beginning to realize that Sanchez may not be the answer at the position. That said, the Jets will not publicly acknowledge even the possibility that Sanchez is falling out of favor.

How could they acknowledge it? Coach Rex Ryan already has declared that Sanchez will be the quarterback for as long as Ryan is the coach, a proclamation that could eventually turn out to be as reliable as pretty much every other guarantee Rex has made.

Still, we’re told that the Jets will quietly explore their options, refraining from dropping any hints until they’re ready to pull the trigger — if that’s what they decide to do.

Working against Sanchez is a base salary for 2012 that jumps to $8.5 million. Though that’s less than half of what the top quarterbacks are paid, Sanchez arguably has performed far less than less than half of the top quarterbacks.

Regardless of whether the Jets decide to keep Sanchez in the short term, a long-term decision is looming. Drafted in 2009, his five-year contract expires after the 2013 season.

And in the end, there’s a chance Ryan’s assessment of the situation will be accurate. If the Jets keep Sanchez for one more year and if the Jets fail to make the postseason again, Sanchez possibly will end up being the quarterback for Ryan’s full tenure as coach because Ryan’s tenure as coach could end.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He just has not shown any progress over three years- in accuracy and football awareness and making the right decisions on the field. The subpar offensive line this year has hindered him in his defense.

yea but frank his throws all year were high...too many INTs and almost INTs too many fumbles-no playcalls to answer a 3rd and long situation ALL year-except draws and screen passes-hardly any passes were thrown past the sticks.

I'd be willing to give Sanchez a season without Schotty but for whatever reason Brian seems to have ******* tenure with the Jets.............. Christ only knows why

He must have pictures of Woody with a tranny, 2 midgets some zipties and 22 feet of anal beads cause I'm out of reasons on why he's still employed but it makes me want to cry

I'd be willing to give Sanchez a season without Schotty but for whatever reason Brian seems to have ******* tenure with the Jets.............. Christ only knows why

He must have pictures of Woody with a tranny, 2 midgets some zipties and 22 feet of anal beads cause I'm out of reasons on why he's still employed but it makes me want to cry

My fear is that Schottenheimer has already ruined Sanchez the same way that the Texans awful O-line ruined David Carr...he needs to be on a VERY short leash next year or replaced altogether with a big name Fa QB-like a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning BEFORE the season even starts. I figure that Schitty is as good as gone and that Tannenbaum's head will be next in line at the Guillotine if he doesn't make a big splash this off-season and then it could be Rex Ryan in two years who is let go if he doesn't change and get more involved in the offensive side of the ballgame-like Belichick has

I would give him one last chance.... But first, I would let Brunnell go (He's only taking up a roster spot). Sanchez has a QB coach. I would give the kid from Alabama a shot at #2. At least if Sanchez is having one of his bad days we would have a young, hungry QB to put in. 50+ passes for a "ground & Pound" team? Something is very wrong with that picture!

I'll give you this... Sanchez is a hard worker, he studies a lot of game film, etc. But what if..... As hard as he works & studies & tries, he has reached his "plateau". Does he have anymore "upside" left?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a sanchez hater, I don't post much. This is just an observance on my part.

I think the Jets will quietly help Schotty land a HC job. If he doesn't, then I have to believe they will fire him. They have to have at least one sacrificial lamb for this horrible year, and he is the easiest and most logical. Then they will give Sanchez the two more years left in his contract and a chance with a new OC, while they focus on other holes (safety, OLB, RT, O-line depth, WR depth. a real blocking TE). If Sanchez does not progress to a satisfactory level, then they have to find another QB. It will not be easy as the Jets have enough existing talent to easily have .500 seasons even if Sanchez does not improve at all. So there will be no opportunity to draft a franchise QB near the top of a first round, unless Mr. T does some more trading of other draft picks. And he has already done that so much, that is the reason the jets have so much depth problems.

No way Mr. T or Rex goes in the next couple of years. Woody does not have a trigger finger. Schotty goes now, Sanchez maybe after 2013 and then if the team is still getting nowhere Mr. T and Rex in that order (unless he gets a GM that insists that Rex goes). I am not saying these are what I would do. Just predicting what the Jets will do.

id be giving him a chance if he wasnt making about 13 mill.... he sucks for a rookie let alone a guy making that

I could care less about what a player makes all I care about is if they either help us win or if they cause us to lose and right now Sanchez has become a losing player-not good.

I wonder what influence Woody Johnson will have on what happens with this team after next week's loss down in Miami. Will he be mad enough to DEMAND that the offensive coordinator is fired and maybe his QB coach and receiver's coach head out the door behind him or will he let the party line of "you can't blame Schotty, he called a great game" and the other hit that keeps coming out of Rex's fat face "we're lucky to have a future up-and-coming star of this league like Brian" or will the blame and axe fall there first?

I also believe that Mike Tannenbaum has been doing a crumby job the last 2 years or so-even the Favre experiment was a failure but at least something was tried.

I think the Jets will quietly help Schotty land a HC job. If he doesn't, then I have to believe they will fire him. They have to have at least one sacrificial lamb for this horrible year, and he is the easiest and most logical. Then they will give Sanchez the two more years left in his contract and a chance with a new OC, while they focus on other holes (safety, OLB, RT, O-line depth, WR depth. a real blocking TE). If Sanchez does not progress to a satisfactory level, then they have to find another QB. It will not be easy as the Jets have enough existing talent to easily have .500 seasons even if Sanchez does not improve at all. So there will be no opportunity to draft a franchise QB near the top of a first round, unless Mr. T does some more trading of other draft picks. And he has already done that so much, that is the reason the jets have so much depth problems.

No way Mr. T or Rex goes in the next couple of years. Woody does not have a trigger finger. Schotty goes now, Sanchez maybe after 2013 and then if the team is still getting nowhere Mr. T and Rex in that order (unless he gets a GM that insists that Rex goes). I am not saying these are what I would do. Just predicting what the Jets will do.

I'm right there with you Dennis-that's the guillotine line in my estimation too.

I could care less about what a player makes all I care about is if they either help us win or if they cause us to lose and right now Sanchez has become a losing player-not good.

I wonder what influence Woody Johnson will have on what happens with this team after next week's loss down in Miami. Will he be mad enough to DEMAND that the offensive coordinator is fired and maybe his QB coach and receiver's coach head out the door behind him or will he let the party line of "you can't blame Schotty, he called a great game" and the other hit that keeps coming out of Rex's fat face "we're lucky to have a future up-and-coming star of this league like Brian" or will the blame and axe fall there first?

I also believe that Mike Tannenbaum has been doing a crumby job the last 2 years or so-even the Favre experiment was a failure but at least something was tried.

i cant agree with that. We could have gotten some great players with the money sanchez is getting. I remember when we were saying 12 mill to nnamdi is to much. Sanchez cant do anything right and is getting paid top dollar

I completely believe this rumor.

I think it's just sad that it's come to this after Tanny and Rex were stupid enough to trust Wayne Hunter at RT.

Sanchez has been sacked 37 times this year, the most by any Jet QB since Neil O'Donnell in 1997. Sanchez is getting hammered and is shell shocked, either throwing too early or holding on to long in order to make a play.

I think it's just sad that it's come to this after Tanny and Rex were stupid enough to trust Wayne Hunter at RT.

Sanchez has been sacked 37 times this year, the most by any Jet QB since Neil O'Donnell in 1997. Sanchez is getting hammered and is shell shocked, either throwing too early or holding on to long in order to make a play.

Ken O'Brien was sacked more times than the rest of the AFC East combined but when he had time to throw it he didn't miss a wide-open Wesley Walker or Mickey Shuler. Sanchez DOES have open wr's he either misses the window to throw it or he misses the wide open throw.

The whole "hit too much" argument is lame. A Rodgers has probably been hit just as much as Sanchez this year.

again SMC-I see this as Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum's failure. Two straight years Tannenbaum spent all his energy on trying to secure a top CB and he's 1 for 2 there. All of the players who were let go or signed by other teams while we waited for an answer to come is the biggest reason why this team's depth and LEADERSHIP was so lacking.

Rex's idea of what a captain should look like is Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes-we saw where THAT got us. Even small moves like giving Lowery away for nothing, signing TJ Conley instead of Weatherford, Braylon Edwards being let go, Matthew Mulligan over BenHartsock-Vlad DuCasse? man and these are just a few of the names-Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery? Tannenbaum failed-Rex failed

Excellent post and very accurate.

Good post, but I'd be shocked if the Colts end up with #1 pick and they don't make a strong play for Manning..

The only way rex goes in the next few years is if the team quits on him

I can't really blame them on the Hunter move. He was absolutely solid late last year and thru the playoff when he replaced Woody. He is a decent run blocker but has really been exposed as a very weak pass blocker. Unfortunately that weakness was not apparent in the few games he started last year. But it obviously it is a real problem that has to be fixed or it does not matter who is playing QB for them.

Good post, but I'd be shocked if the Colts end up with #1 pick and they don't make a strong play for Manning..

The only way rex goes in the next few years is if the team quits on him

Interesting, but I think it is too late in the development of this particular team to do another Favre experiment. This team was built to win in the last few years. Now gaping holes (safety, RT, blocking TE, etc) and a serious overall lack of depth will be the priority so that the team can get back to that level in a couple of years and compliment their young core of Revis, Cro, Harris, Mayben, Westermann (maybe), the solid d-line, Mangold, Slauson, D'Brick (boy did he suck yesterday, but that pepe lapeau is a beast), Holmes, Keller, Cumberland, Kersey, Green, McKnight, Connor, Powell (maybe). At least Sanchez has a young body. Manning would get killed behind this current line.

Interesting, but I think it is too late in the development of this particular team to do another Favre experiment. This team was built to win in the last few years. Now gaping holes (safety, RT, blocking TE, etc) and a serious overall lack of depth will be the priority so that the team can get back to that level in a couple of years and compliment their young core of Revis, Cro, Harris, Mayben, Westermann (maybe), the solid d-line, Mangold, Slauson, D'Brick (boy did he suck yesterday, but that pepe lapeau is a beast), Holmes, Keller, Cumberland, Kersey, Green, McKnight, Connor, Powell (maybe). At least Sanchez has a young body. Manning would get killed behind this current line.

Manning would be fine cause he'd get rid of the ball quicker and defenses would have to, you know, respect the passing game.. 100% guarantee that every player on this offense looks a hell of a lot better with an elite QB..

This defense is good.. That's a good Giants offense that we basically skunked if not for the 1 cruz play

The offensive line has been mediocre.

The play calling has been terrible.

The receivers don't get open.

The running game has been hit and miss and when it's a hit the play calling shies away from it.

The QB has moments of brilliance and moments of sheer idioacy.

It's not just on one player, it's an entire offense issue.

Bringing in a vet QB like Manning or Brees isn't going to be a big band aid and fix all of the issues. Would it help? Of course, but there are a bunch of other issues at hand and bringing on a salary like that won't help fix the other issues.

again SMC-I see this as Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum's failure. Two straight years Tannenbaum spent all his energy on trying to secure a top CB and he's 1 for 2 there. All of the players who were let go or signed by other teams while we waited for an answer to come is the biggest reason why this team's depth and LEADERSHIP was so lacking.

Rex's idea of what a captain should look like is Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes-we saw where THAT got us. Even small moves like giving Lowery away for nothing, signing TJ Conley instead of Weatherford, Braylon Edwards being let go, Matthew Mulligan over BenHartsock-Vlad DuCasse? man and these are just a few of the names-Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery? Tannenbaum failed-Rex failed

The only thing I agree with here is Edwards, that was downright stupid. Weatherford was the decision of the best ST coach in the NFL. Can you really argue with that?

Smith wanted too much $ and hadn't shown anything as a WR. He hasn't set the world on fire in Buffalo. Mulligan & Hartsock both sucked. Giving up on ducasse after 1 year? That would have been stupid, not to mention he didn't have a training camp this year which has hurt development.

Finally, Cotch? Meh. Kerley has already shown enough to be his replacement. Cotch was disgruntled & wanted out. Not a player you want on the team.

The Jets biggest blunder this offseason was not retaining Edwards & not getting a quality safety.

Based on the offenses performance this year nobody in their right mind would give Schotty a HC position in their franchise. Unless its pop warner league!

The jury is still out on Sanchez. This season has not been that impressive from the perspective that he has not made the strides he was expected too in Season 3 of his career. And stats apart, the one major thing nobody has focused on yet is he has been handicapped by the lack of deep threat, an inconsistent offensive line and the subpar play from playmakers like Santonio Holmes.

Peyton Manning,

Please save us.

Manning is 36. Has had 3 neck surgeries. Wouldn't survive a 37 sack season.

If we want to speculate about dumping Sanchez. Which I don't think will happen, here is the only QB I would consider selling the farm for.

Florio has been spreading more joy this Christmas week..

Brees highly unlikely to sign franchise tag

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2011, 11:24 AM EST

brees-e1321121743435.jpg?w=226 Getty Images

Earlier this week, Saints quarterback Drew Brees said that talks on an extension of his contract has been tabled until after the season, in order to prevent the situation from becoming a distraction.

But it will eventually become a significant distraction, if the two sides can’t get a deal done when the season ends. Absent a new contract, the Saints definitely will apply the franchise tag to Brees. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Brees will not sign it.

If he doesn’t sign it, he won’t be under contract — and he won’t be required to attend offseason workouts, training camp, or preseason games.

Brees eventually could show up on the eve of the regular-season opener and receive the full amount of the one-year guaranteed salary, expected to be in the range of $14 million to $15 million. But neither Brees nor the team would have the benefit of the preparation that occurs in the offseason and preseason.

Per the source, Brees isn’t upset with the organization. He simply realizes that it’s part of the business of the game.

That said, if Brees boycotts team activities in 2012, he would open himself up to criticism regarding the perceived abandonment of his teammates, whom Brees worked diligently to keep prepared during the lockout. For Brees to ensure when the broader labor contract was expired that he and his teammates were ready to go after the situation was resolved but to leave them hanging when only his contract hasn’t been finalized could cause some to accuse Brees of applying a double standard.

But that would be unfair to Brees. Teams use leverage when they have it. Players should, too — especially since the occasions on which players have leverage are fewer and farther between then the occasions when the teams have leverage.

That said, the same “how much is enough” question that was directed at Peyton Manning in 2011 and 2004 becomes a fair question as to Brees. He needs to leave enough money under the salary cap to ensure that other quality players can be signed or retained.

Before this year started, I'm thnking no more Mulligans for Sanchez. He's had some very good moments but they're not outweighing the bad. First get rid of Schotty. Then Sanchez gets 1 year with a new OC. Make or break. If break we position ourselves for a real USC QB, Matt Barkley. Kid's a winner and I think will be an outstanding pro QB.

Archived