Bucs to Hire Schiano

Bleedin Green

Sources: Bucs, Greg Schiano near deal

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are near an agreement to hire Rutgers coach Greg Schiano as their new head coach, according to league sources.

The two sides are busy putting the finishing touches on an agreement that would give Tampa Bay a new direction and Schiano his first NFL head coaching job, according to sources.

ncf_g_schiano11_65.jpg

Schiano

The two sides met Wednesday for the second time and then spent some of the night into the morning trying to work out a contract that is expected to be finalized, according to a source.

Mike Sherman, the other candidate to get a second interview with the Bucs, is in Miami this morning visiting with the Dolphins about their offensive coordinator job, according to a source.

Schiano is an under-the-radar coach, but Tampa Bay has been eyeing him throughout this process. Buccaneers college scout Bill Rees made contact with Schiano at the outset of Tampa Bay's coaching search, and the two men stayed in contact.

The Glazer family also conducted a massive amount of research, reaching out to various NFL people. One of the people they called was Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who spoke highly of Schiano.

Tampa did talk with Oregon head coach Chip Kelly before those talks collapsed early Monday. The Buccaneers also had a second interview with former Packers and Texas A + M head coach Mike Sherman.

This is not the first time Tampa Bay didn't land its first choice. In 1996, after the Buccaneers fired Sam Wyche, they tried to hire Bill Parcells and Steve Spurrier before hiring Tony Dungy.

In 2002, after firing Dungy, they tried to hire Bill Parcells and Steve Mariucci before trading for Jon Gruden.

Now, after talking with Kelly, they have honed in on the Schiano, who has compiled a 49-28 record at Rutgers since 2006.

But the 45-year-old Schiano is said to have impressed them during the two interviews he had -- one in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, another as recently as Wednesday morning.

http://espn.go.com/n...ach-sources-say

It's great for us. Between his salary and the fact that we were actually paying out millions to get bowl invites...but hey, at least they hit me up for money every month and we have the 5th highest rate of tuition increases in the country. So there's that.

They ask me for money and I don't go there. I go to a few football games a year and they think I can afford to give money. Hell I don't even give the college I went to money

It's great for us. Between his salary and the fact that we were actually paying out millions to get bowl invites...but hey, at least they hit me up for money every month and we have the 5th highest rate of tuition increases in the country. So there's that.

yep... i was recruited by rutgers, i mean my guy was susans whos the head coach at bucknell now.. but yeah my official was alright, i ended up goin 1aa even tho i had an offer from rutgers.. maybe they can get somebody in there now who will be capable of gettin the good nj recruits... too many great nj guys go out of state.. not that i was one of those guys haha but i got pride for my state

may i say...... tressell????

Think Schiano was waiting for either Penn State or the Giants to offer him their jobs like hewas the pope or some nonsense. Becomes clear neither places thought enough of him to hire him, and Coughlin isn't going anywhere for another season or 2 at least.

yep... i was recruited by rutgers, i mean my guy was susans whos the head coach at bucknell now.. but yeah my official was alright, i ended up goin 1aa even tho i had an offer from rutgers.. maybe they can get somebody in there now who will be capable of gettin the good nj recruits... too many great nj guys go out of state.. not that i was one of those guys haha but i got pride for my state

I had hope for tressel but didnt the NCAA say that any college that hires him has to give reason or pay some penalty to hire him

Joe Susan is def a good man. He worked out at my gym and would get us tickets to games any time we asked. Glad he got away from the program before it declines.

I had hope for tressel but didnt the NCAA say that any college that hires him has to give reason or pay some penalty to hire him

really? i didnt hear that... hope this doesnt break up the recruiting class, actually looked good this year

Joe Susan is def a good man. He worked out at my gym and would get us tickets to games any time we asked. Glad he got away from the program before it declines.

ha really? yeah took the laughin stock of the patriot league and had them battling for the championship.. ive heard stories of him when he was at princeton.. good old school guy

After sleeping on this, I am not as worried as I was when the news first broke...If they are able to bring in a guy that has connections in this area and keep up the recruiting pipelines built by Schiano I think Rutgers will be ok. Lets face it, Schiano was never the greatest Xs and Os gameday coach, and he never really took the next step with the program, maybe this will end up being a good thing....

With that said, I am more pissed off at the Bucs...what are they thinking???? Because of their incompetence when it comes to hiring a HC we are going to lose Schiano.....

The fact that Rutgers fans are happy Schiano is gone is hilarious. That program will go back to being complete sh*t without him.

At this point I'm over it. The financial consequences that the program caused under his tenure for the school, all just to get us just to one crappy bowl after another is something I can live without at this point. We're not a football school and never will be.

At this point I'm over it. The financial consequences that the program caused under his tenure for the school, all just to get us just to one crappy bowl after another is something I can live without at this point. We're not a football school and never will be.

It's a little sickening they even tried...even if Jersey is a solid football state.

I don't know man, with Boise in the conference now...

No, I've always thought Rutgers had comparable talent to Boise. I mena you have to agree that the team seemed to underachieve the past few years with the talent they had.

Though 2010 was awful, inexcusable how they couldn't make any adjustments to the o-line

Archived