Sanchez wasn't pressured _that_ much

bitonti

So, you mean to tell me that Sanchez, being pressured just 28% of the time in comparison to Eli's 40% and Rivers 30%, two QB's who's play design allows them to throw the ball deep rather often is a reasonable comparison to Sanchez, a QB who isnt allowed to throw the ball pass the middle linebackers in an offense that the longest pass play was thrown by a WR on a wildcat rollout.

Like I said, Mark Sanchez being pressured 28% of the time is a disaster when he's only able to throw 5 yards in the first place. Give me a break CTM, how fast must this offensive line be breaking down if he's not even throwing past the damn 1st down mark?

Think about that for a second.....really.

Wasn't allowed to....attack deeper...Who the **** actually believes this?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cornerbacks

What does that even mean? The first people who found out he can't attack downfield consistently? Downfield being the passing game that is far more subtle than a bomb to Edwards or Holmes once in a while, which is basically the coaching staff banking on the fact that teams have fallen asleep deep because of how bad he was the rest of the time.

Sanchez can complete a bunch of short passes in a row...we saw him do it against the Steelers and Browns in 2010 and probably others....I have not seen him consistently attack the intermediate and deeper parts of the field successfully since college. Maybe his first game against the Texans, but that game was such a gimme...

Certain Jet fans are not "the league". And thats not even a conspiracy theory, thats just a stupid comment of yours.

Well, according to most of the leagues statistics, Sanchez is a bad QB. Only "certain jets fans" try to spin away why he isn't.

Sometimes parsimony is right.

What does that even mean? The first people who found out he can't attack downfield consistently? Downfield being the passing game that is far more subtle than a bomb to Edwards or Holmes once in a while, which is basically the coaching staff banking on the fact that teams have fallen asleep deep because of how bad he was the rest of the time.

Sanchez can complete a bunch of short passes in a row...we saw him do it against the Steelers and Browns in 2010 and probably others....I have not seen him consistently attack the intermediate and deeper parts of the field successfully since college. Maybe his first game against the Texans, but that game was such a gimme...

He needs stronger play design. Schotty's was weak, or am I lying here?

Tr

True true. Not just play designs, but also plans and calls.

Then thats all im saying. I dont expect Mark Sanchez, a guy who obviously has the raw talent to be able to be a "great QB" with virtually no development team around him, a pathetic play book from an O.C. and play designs within that playbook that will not get WR's open. On top of the fact that he's not been able to get any type of chemistry with anyone but his TE.

Sanchez numbers arent great, and im not defending them, all im saying is that I can see why.

Does it take into account:

1.) % of dropbacks which are pressured. Obviously Eli is going to have more, he threw the ball a crap ton more.

2.) Avg. time between dropback and attempt? It's amazing Sanchez was pressured as much as he was, considering he rarely threw longer than 10 yards.

Eli only had 46 more attempts than Sanchez, thsi year. Not really a "crap ton".

Sanchez got sacked so much because of his inability to make his reads in a timely manor, if at all. He cannot go through progressions in a way a proficcient, able QB can. This leads to him holding the ball far longer than he has to. The lenght of the pass is irrelevant. As it doesn't matter if it is a 1 yard pass or an 80 yd pass, he can't read make the reads in either situation, most of the time. Throw in the fact he turns 2 o3 step dropbacks in to 5 steps and 5 step dropbacks in 7 steps, that usually explains why we are taking sacks of 8,9 or 10+ yards.

So, you mean to tell me that Sanchez, being pressured just 28% of the time in comparison to Eli's 40% and Rivers 30%, two QB's who's play design allows them to throw the ball deep rather often is a reasonable comparison to Sanchez, a QB who isnt allowed to throw the ball pass the middle linebackers in an offense that the longest pass play was thrown by a WR on a wildcat rollout.

Like I said, Mark Sanchez being pressured 28% of the time is a disaster when he's only able to throw 5 yards in the first place. Give me a break CTM, how fast must this offensive line be breaking down if he's not even throwing past the damn 1st down mark?

Think about what? My opinion is that Sanchez threw short because that's what the coaches wanted him to do cause he's terrible at throwing every intermediate route besides the slant.. I've seen it on TV, Sanchez glancing longer and coming back to the checkdown, I think he knows he sucks at it too. Further, Brady plays in a short passing game offense and his % of pressure is nearly identical to Sanchez, yet I don't here pats fans incessantly whining about thier Oline (and Brady helps their Oline a ton more w/protections, blitz recognition and actually presenting a passing threat)

Lastly some of those 5 yard crosses take longer to develop then deeper routes anyway. I don't think you have a point at all

Yeah that's what I was talking about. The % really doesn't jive with me. He was consistently getting harassed on 3 step drops. I remember Baltimore hitting him numerous times before he even got out of his damn drop. I really don't think there's an appropriate amount of pressure that should be on a QB in the quick slants that Sanchez was running constantly either... though maybe scheme was at issue there (or lack thereof).

Think about what? My opinion is that Sanchez threw short because that's what the coaches wanted him to do cause he's terrible at throwing every intermediate route besides the slant.. I've seen it on TV, Sanchez glancing longer and coming back to the checkdown, I think he knows he sucks at it too. Further, Brady plays in a short passing game offense and his % of pressure is nearly identical to Sanchez, yet I don't here pats fans incessantly whining about thier Oline (and Brady helps their Oline a ton more w/protections, blitz recognition and actually presenting a passing threat)

Lastly some of those 5 yard crosses take longer to develop then deeper routes anyway. I don't think you have a point at all

"Accuracy is a hell of a drug."

These "questions" are all an effort to avoid parsimony and to make excuses.

You could ask similar questions about any QB in the league, so it pretty much evens out.

At the end of the day, in this case, Mark Sanchez was not pressured any more than an average amount, and that's a fact.

Other facts include, him being one of the lowest rated passers in the league, was at the bottom of yards per attempt, and the bottom of the league in completion percentage. He was at the top of the league in interceptions, and lead the league in turnovers.

You can ask all the questions you want, but even ignoring the eye test (which makes it worse), they're all just excuses and apologies for an obviously bad quarterback.

You're really missing the point man come on. It'd be like gathering a bunch of millionaires in a room, finding the guy with the average salary among them and deeming him middle class. Judgment should be made on the entirety of the information, and seeking out that information does not mean you have an agenda. Ignoring it does.

I watched a lot of Jet games this year. The Jet Offensive line was not that good and there were a good number of jail breaks. I don't care what any numbers try to tell us.

Anybody want to go into next year with that same unit intact?

Wayne Hunter needs to go. Other than that.. YES.

I watched a lot of Jet games this year. The Jet Offensive line was not that good and there were a good number of jail breaks. I don't care what any numbers try to tell us.

Of course not, but the fact that Sanchez needs 5 pro bowlers on the O-line to be successful means he isn't very good.

I watched a lot of Giants games this year. The GIants Offensive line was not that good and there were a good number of jail breaks.

I watched a lot of 49ers games this year. The 49er Offensive line was terrible and there were a ton of jail breaks.

I watched a lot of Steelers games this year. The Steelers Offensive line was not that good and there were a good number of jail breaks.

etc..

the defense gets paid too

You're really missing the point man come on. It'd be like gathering a bunch of millionaires in a room, finding the guy with the average salary among them and deeming him middle class. Judgment should be made on the entirety of the information, and seeking out that information does not mean you have an agenda. Ignoring it does.

No, it's not like that at all.

Because, unlike you example, I actually have the entire population in front of me. Every single QB is considered.

I suspect that these numbers would look even worse if you factored in how long the QB held the ball after the snap in each pressure situation, but unfortunately, I don't have the data.

There are studies that show that Sanchez holds the ball longer when sacked compared to the league average (only Flacco and Roethlisberger take "longer" sacks on average over the last 3 years), whereas Eli is under...

Watching the playoffs...its obvious the Sanchez can not do this at all.

I suspect that these numbers would look even worse if you factored in how long the QB held the ball after the snap in each pressure situation, but unfortunately, I don't have the data.

There are studies that show that Sanchez holds the ball longer when sacked compared to the league average (only Flacco and Roethlisberger take "longer" sacks on average over the last 3 years), whereas Eli is under...

Lol.

Honestly, is there anything Sanchez does well? Besides modeling ladies white linen pants?

n00b

LOL, but to what end? The Jets are going nowhere without an elite QB. A "good" QB will get the Jets where they usually peak--AFCCG.

They need an elite signal caller. The only way that happens is if Peyton has a medical miracle and signs with the Jets or Sanchez makes a major leap. Odds are seriously against both.

Otherwise you're just setting yourself to start dissing Jets QB X in the future.

Incomplete, but still.

http://footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-long-and-short-sack-percentages

Archived