Players around the league getting the Franchise Tag

NYGiantFan10

Whats going on with Drew Brees? If he's available I'd say we take a crack at getting him. He's the only QB in the league thats better than Sanchez.

Brees is conspicuously absent from the franchise tag list.

Brick's restructure plus dumping Suckchez creates more than enough space.

***edit: ok, maybe not easily. Wants $23M/year average on the first 3 years of a 5 year deal. http://espn.go.com/n...ars-sources-say

Even still, you find the space if he's available and willing to relocate. Trade Cromartie for anything at all - a conditional 7th rounder in 2015 if that's the top bid, doesn't matter - just to get him onto someone else's books, do whatever. But he's not going to count $23M on the 2012 cap for any team. A good portion is going to be signing & option bonuses spread over 5 years.

He'll probably get it, and be one of the few who won't complain about it.

He'd be almost as worth it as Mario.

I remember him being considered a top 10 lock, then plummeting down draft boards to the bottom of the second as his senior year was less than spectacular, only to end up being an absolute stud. Was really pulling for him in the second as I saw him dropping.

Brees is conspicuously absent from the franchise tag list.

Brick's restructure plus dumping Suckchez creates more than enough space.

***edit: ok, maybe not easily. Wants $23M/year average on the first 3 years of a 5 year deal. http://espn.go.com/n...ars-sources-say

Even still, you find the space if he's available and willing to relocate. Trade Cromartie for anything at all - a conditional 7th rounder in 2015 if that's the top bid, doesn't matter - just to get him onto someone else's books, do whatever. But he's not going to count $23M on the 2012 cap for any team. A good portion is going to be signing & option bonuses spread over 5 years.

Would a situation like that even leave us cap space to sign rookies? We're fitting things kinda tight in a situation like that

have the jets ever tagged anyone ?

Abraham and Harris. Those are just franchise tags. We've used RFA tags dozens of times. Transition tags are almost never used anyway but I think we tagged Kyle Brady & decided not to match Jacksonville's offer to him.

Would a situation like that even leave us cap space to sign rookies? We're fitting things kinda tight in a situation like that

Yes of course there would be some space still. $23M/year average over the first 3 years doesn't mean his cap average over those 3 years is $23M and certainly doesn't mean year 1 he counts $23M.

Archived