Video appears to show Peyton Manning throwing well

F.Chowds

Video appears to show Peyton Manning throwing well

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2012, 7:52 AM EST

manningap.jpg?w=140

AP

On Friday,

of someone appearing to throw a football with good distance and velocity, while wearing what looks like a Colts jersey and helmet. The video is titled, “Peyton Manning throwing at Duke Friday March 2, 2012.”

There’s no way to tell whether the person throwing passes in the video is really Manning or not, but ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports, citing an unnamed source, that it is an authentic video of Manning from Friday.

Mortensen describes Manning as having participated in “an aggressive throwing session” and showing “encouraging progress” after the neck surgery that forced him to miss the entire 2011 season. Mortensen also reports that several sources say Manning’s throwing strength has dramatically improved. The video seems to back that up.

Almost as interesting as the video itself is the question of who posted it on YouTube, and why now. It appears to have been taken with a cell phone and from far enough away that the Manning camp could credibly say Manning didn’t know he was being filmed. But no one with a camera phone would be allowed anywhere near the practice field at Duke if Manning didn’t want video like this getting out. The person taking the video (who created a new YouTube account on Friday just to post this video) was clearly pro-Manning: He says, “What a ball,” after Manning’s first pass, driving home the point that Manning is throwing well.

Colts owner Jim Irsay is just days away from having to choose between paying Manning $28 million or releasing him. All indications are that Irsay will show Manning the door and move on to Andrew Luck, but Irsay has previously said that if Manning is healthy, Manning will remain with the Colts. To the extent that you can tell anything from a low-quality 27-second video, Manning looks pretty healthy right now

Great I'll admit he already looks better throwing then Sanchez but the truth is he'd look ridiculous in a mesh tank top. There's pros and cons to every QB scenario and I'm glad the level headed Mike T is captaining this ship and not one of you clowns.

Great I'll admit he already looks better throwing then Sanchez but the truth is he'd look ridiculous in a mesh tank top. There's pros and cons to every QB scenario and I'm glad the level headed Mike T is captaining this ship and not one of you clowns.

Level headed Mike T? Is that what you'd call pretty much abandoning the draft chasing a "win-now" that never came?

It's a process

Elaborate on the process... What is the current strategy as you see it? Who is the future of this team? Who is the young talent ready to take the next step?

Mike Tannenbaum has been the GM since 2006, please explain the arch that puts us a great position for next year and the following year that he's cultivated over his 6 seasons on the job.

So say the Jets sign Manning and cut Sanchez, because they have to cut him to bring PM into the fold. Best case is Manning plays what? 1 season or 2? And what if he ends up hurt or doesn't win the Super Bowl? Then we are back to finding a QB in the draft and probably onto a new coaching staff and GM.

So say the Jets sign Manning and cut Sanchez, because they have to cut him to bring PM into the fold. Best case is Manning plays what? 1 season or 2? And what if he ends up hurt or doesn't win the Super Bowl? Then we are back to finding a QB in the draft and probably onto a new coaching staff and GM.

News flash, if Sanchez fails as a qb another year then it's the exact same scenario in regards to having to find a new qb.

what matters is finding out how he was after the work out, how much soreness there was and how much treatment he needed, and we won't get that for obvious reasons

and you have to LOL at how hard they tried to make it look like a leaked top secret video

None of these look like downsides... Unless you're still in the fantasy world where Sanchez next season corrects the 6 or 7 things he does wrong to build upon the half of a thing he does right.

That's cool that Clark, Collie, and Stokely all showed up to work out with him. They've got to know that he won't be back in Indy, but they showed up anyway.

Wish we had recievers that would attend passing practice with their QB. sigh.

None of these look like downsides... Unless you're still in the fantasy world where Sanchez next season corrects the 6 or 7 things he does wrong to build upon the half of a thing he does right.

Throwing to a check-down... but only on the run.

(did I get it?)

That's cool that Clark, Collie, and Stokely all showed up to work out with him. They've got to know that he won't be back in Indy, but they showed up anyway.

Wish we had recievers that would attend passing practice with their QB. sigh.

White people have to stick together in the NFL

Elaborate on the process... What is the current strategy as you see it? Who is the future of this team? Who is the young talent ready to take the next step?

Mike Tannenbaum has been the GM since 2006, please explain the arch that puts us a great position for next year and the following year that he's cultivated over his 6 seasons on the job.

Are you really attempting to have an intelligent debate? because if you haven't picked up on the sarcasm yet I'm not sure where to go from here

White people have to stick together in the NFL

Well, since you started it.... my All-Whiteys Roster 2012

Offense

LT Joe Thomas

LG Logan Mankins

C Nick Mangold

RG Chris Snee

RT David Stewart

The O-Line is solid and has ample depth with Jake Long, Eric Winston, Eric Steinbach, Tyson Clabo, and the entire Patriot roster.

WR1 Wes Welker

WR2 Jordy Nelson

On the bench there is Austin Collie and Kevin Walter...I think the four of them concludes the depth of whiteys in the nfl

TE Jason Witten

Rob Gronkowski, Dallas Clark, and John Carlson isn't bad...Jimmy Graham was a last-minute cut for postive testing (creole).

RB Peyton Hillis

The depth includes Danny Woodhead and Tim Tebow...This is obviouslly not a running team.

QB Tom Brady

Alas, we have found the sweet spot of this team: On the bench we have Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Rivers, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Bradford, Matt Stafford, Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, Matt Moore, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Alex Smith, and half of Mark Sanchez.

Overall analysis of Offense: We have ample protection, for ample passers, to throw to one of four guys. This team leans heavily on Wes Welker and it's TEs...sounds eerily familiar for some reason.

Defense

LDE Jason Babin

NT Kelly Gregg

DT Justin Smith

RDE Jared Allen

Depth: JJ Watt, Adam Carriker, Aaron Kampman, Brian Robison, Chris Long. I cheated with Justin Smith, moving him to DT, because he is that much better than Adam Carriker. I mean sh*t, this team can't stop the pass, you want them to let teams run up the middle on them too?

LOLB Claw Mathews

ILB Brian Urlacher

ILB Brian Cushing

ROLB Chad Greenway

Depth at LB is pretty sufficient... It is a position that leans more on strength than quick-twich: Brooks Reed, Jarrett Johnson, Conner Barwin, Ryan Kerrigan, AJ Hawk, Sean Lee, Dan Conner, Paul Posluszny, James Laurinaitis

CB1...

CB2 ...

I looked. I'm not saying one is not out there. I'm saying I couldn't find him.

SS: Eric Weddle

Not to worry, backing up this slow, heavy-hitting white boy is Tim Zibkowski, Eric Smith, Jim Leonard

Overall analysis of Defense: Listed above is not the "best of" the Caucasians, it is the EXTENT of them. As you can see there are plenty of middle linebackers and some talented pass rushers, which is good because with the exception of VERY few starting defensive tackles (and that's if moving Justin Smith to DT counts), and some slow "high character" heavy-hitters in the secondary. This defense would not stop anybody. The lack of CBs will have to be compensated for with some fancy scheming...but seriously, even with some regrettably offensive bounties...this defense would not stop anyone. Including the Jets.

OVERALL: It would seem that only corn-fed whiteboys from the midwest, steroid popping linebackers, and QBs are able to step into this sport with any degree of success. If that's not a compelling reason to not draft Harrison Smith, I don't know what is.

The video popping up or EY's comment?

:D

I was off by a few months as to when the Zapruder film would show up:

T0mShane, on 03 February 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

1. Irsay is using the media to try and paint Manning as a cripple so he can avoid paying him $28 mil, dump hIs body on the street and draft Andrew Luck without looking like the Wicked Witch of the West. Anyone who has ever read Irsay's Twitter feed knows that he's a rabbit-eared buffoon.

2. Manning's people are going to wait until the absolute last second expires on his career before he hangs up the cleats, even if it means locking himself into a cycle of denial regarding his ability to throw a football.

Bottom line: you have a nitwit, Silver Spoons do-nothing owner panicked at the prospect of losing the PR battle to a prideful icon who may or may not be able to continue his career.

My personal take is that Peyton will be cut, then you'll see video of him, in June, throwing footballs around a football field, inciting a wild courtship battle between five or six different teams.

The Jets will make a spectacle of themselves chasing him, lose out, and then have to crawl back to Sanchez and tell him they still have, like, super-confidence in him.

Manning will proceed to lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl, losing to the upstart Dolphins, 42-37z

How do you know Tanny won't go after him? He hasn't been cut yet. :)

Archived