Joe Jets fan

Agreed.... which means the Jets wont make it happen

HEY!!! Today is a day for dreams. :D Don't you dare take today away from us. I choose to believe the Jets will fill every single need with the best possible fit for the right price dammit!!!

Winston would be a welcome addition if he came at the right price.

This fell right into our laps this should be priority number one because not only does it solidify our O-line it gives us a solid back up situation as well. On the other hand if the Jets do want this guy they will most likely over pay for him.

GREENBEAN I will not take away your hope, Im hopeing as well my friend

This fell right into our laps this should be priority number one because not only does it solidify our O-line it gives us a solid back up situation as well. On the other hand if the Jets do want this guy they will most likely over pay for him.

GREENBEAN I will not take away your hope, Im hopeing as well my friend

I agree, but it depends. If someone with a ton of cap space is willing to fork over $8-9M/year for Winston then they can have him.

I agree, but it depends. If someone with a ton of cap space is willing to fork over $8-9M/year for Winston then they can have him.

Yeah this might be the case with the Dolphins but they are still pushing for Manning and if not him they will probably push for Flynn I would think they do that first before getting the RT .... how much room do they have ? I thought I read they had some good cap space.

Winston would be a welcome addition if he came at the right price.

Too bad Tanny guaranteeing $2.5 million this season will likely prevent the Jets from signing Winston at the right price.

I did a little more research into Winston.

Turns out run blocking is actually his strength and pass blocking was his weakness (i thought it was opposite). He had several bad holding penalties this season. He gave up 7 sacks. He was due 6 mil salary (roughly 3x more than Hunter) and could likely earn more on the open market. Houston fans thought he was too talkative on radio shows and should have been focusing on his play more than his media career. Overall he was great in 2009 and 2010 but 2011 was somewhat of a down season. to say he's a top 5 or top 10 RT is his reputation, but those numbers don't bear out in 2011 (he was neither in the top 20 OT or the bottom 20 OT in PFF rankings). the Texans were over the cap and they needed to cut Winston and Leinart to get under the cap (possibly to try to resign Mario williams?).

I don't have a conclusion either way as to what the Jets should pursue Winston or not... just thought i'd throw that out there.

Turns out run blocking is actually his strength and pass blocking was his weakness (i thought it was opposite). He had several bad penalties this season. He gave up 7 sacks. He was due 6 mil salary and could likely earn more on the open market. Houston fans thought he was too talkative on radio shows and should have been focusing on his play more than his media career. Overall he was great in 2009 and 2010 but 2011 was somewhat of a down season. to say he's a top 5 or top 10 RT is his reputation, but those numbers don't bear out in 2011 (he was neither in the top 20 OT or the bottom 20 OT in PFF rankings).

Sounds like a born Jet.

also just to add the Jets run both Man and Zone blocking. Most teams do run both looks. The exceptions are teams like HOU, DEN and WAS who specialize mostly in zone. but ideally the OL can change it up and that can create big holes (Defense expecting a zone scheme, gets blocked man). It's even the type of situation where Mangold can change the type of blocking pre-snap.

I don't have a conclusion either way as to what the Jets should pursue Winston or not... just thought i'd throw that out there.

With a couple of interesting RT options on the FA market who are also young, he's not the slam dunk must sign most are making him out to be. I think Collins from the Bengals might/would fit us a little better in both cost and skill.

Too bad Tanny guaranteeing $2.5 million this season will likely prevent the Jets from signing Winston at the right price.

Not really. His price will be what his price will be. If we really came down to that last million or so because of Hunter there are always ways of clearing that much space or structuring Winston's contract differently. He'll either be reasonable for his value or he won't.

back to having a great line. Everything sets up if this is our first priority, running the ball and giving Mark a little time.

Winston is visiting Miami first. With them trading away Marshall I think the fins are going to try hard to sign this guy in order to give Manning that protection.

I think this is going to be the year that miami is the splash free agency team. I think they're doing everything to get Winston, Manning and Wayne.

Winston is visiting Miami first. With them trading away Marshall I think the fins are going to try hard to sign this guy in order to give Manning that protection.

I think this is going to be the year that miami is the splash free agency team. I think they're doing everything to get Winston, Manning and Wayne.

ls7_normal.JPG

ArmandoSalguero

Beat Writer / Columnist

Eric Winston says on Sirius that he is flying to Miami TONIGHT.

I did a little more research into Winston.

Turns out run blocking is actually his strength and pass blocking was his weakness (i thought it was opposite). He had several bad holding penalties this season. He gave up 7 sacks. He was due 6 mil salary (roughly 3x more than Hunter) and could likely earn more on the open market. Houston fans thought he was too talkative on radio shows and should have been focusing on his play more than his media career. Overall he was great in 2009 and 2010 but 2011 was somewhat of a down season. to say he's a top 5 or top 10 RT is his reputation, but those numbers don't bear out in 2011 (he was neither in the top 20 OT or the bottom 20 OT in PFF rankings). the Texans were over the cap and they needed to cut Winston and Leinart to get under the cap (possibly to try to resign Mario williams?).

Thanks for some solid facts. It's knocked me off my initial "sign this beast" bandwagon.

Archived