Jets have interest in Benjarvus Green-Ellis

RyanBe_Tweetin

The Law Firm may be opening in Florham Park.

The Jets have expressed an interest in Patriots free agent running back Benjarvus Green-Ellis, a source told The Post. The Jets have yet to set up a meeting with Green-Ellis, who ran for 2,064 yards in the first four years of his career while splitting time in the crowded New England backfield.

The Bengals are meeting with Green-Ellis on Monday, along with Raiders free agent running back Michael Bush,

according to ESPN.com. Green-Ellis said last week he has not ruled out a return to the Patriots.

The Jets are expected to have an opening in the backfield with LaDainian Tomlinson unlikely to return. Shonn Greene was the team’s featured back last season.

In 510 career rushing attempts Green-Ellis has yet to fumble, a valuable quality for the Jets, who are expected to return to a ground-and-pound approach under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano this season.

The Post has confirmed wide receiver Donnie Avery will meet with the Jets.

Avery had 1,263 receiving yards combined in 2008 and 2009 with the Rams, but tore his ACL in 2010 and saw limited action with the Titans last season.

For the right price, I wouldn't have an issue with that. The Jets obviously plan to go with a committee approach and he would help bring some experience to that. McKnight looked much better last year, but still didn't get a ton of work at RB and Powell has shown absolutely nothing so far, so it's certainly not bad insurance. He's nothing spectacular, but he's a solid player who can do his job and simply does not fumble. Not worth a big contract by any means, but if the Jets won't to feel a little better about the situation while not spending much money, it's not a bad way to go.

For the right price, I wouldn't have an issue with that. The Jets obviously plan to go with a committee approach and he would help bring some experience to that. McKnight looked much better last year, but still didn't get a ton of work at RB and Powell has shown absolutely nothing so far, so it's certainly not bad insurance. He's nothing spectacular, but he's a solid player who can do his job and simply does not fumble. Not worth a big contract by any means, but if the Jets won't to feel a little better about the situation while not spending much money, it's not a bad way to go.

I think he's a good player but I dunno about the fit. Him and Greene would be kind of redundant.

Why arent the Jets bringing in Michael Bush?

The law firm is the only back they didnt use in the passing game. Thats the biggest void with LT leaving.

Dont like and I've got a bad feeling this is happening.

I wouldnt consider Greene a lock next year...

The law firm is the only back they didnt use in the passing game. Thats the biggest void with LT leaving.

Bush would undoubtedly cost a whole sh*t load more than BJGE and I imagine the Jets are planning on McKnight taking over a lot more of the receiving role. The kid can definitely catch, but his bigger problem was needing to improve on his pass blocking in order to get on the field in more passing down situations, which I imagine will be their focus this. I'm guessing the Jets bigger concern is having a runner to split carries with Greene, and don't trust McKnight or Powell to handle that kind of load.

I think he's a good player but I dunno about the fit. Him and Greene would be kind of redundant.

That's a far point, although I think the Jets are likely planning on keeping and using both McKnight and Powell, which provides the team with different types of runners, while BJGE would be more of an insurance policy. I definitely agree there could be better fits out there for the Jets, but for the right price I wouldn't hate the move either.

I wouldnt consider Greene a lock next year...

Ya think? I dont. Pretty sure he's the incumbent.

Bush would undoubtedly cost a whole sh*t load more than BJGE and I imagine the Jets are planning on McKnight taking over a lot more of the receiving role. The kid can definitely catch, but his bigger problem was needing to improve on his pass blocking in order to get on the field in more passing down situations, which I imagine will be their focus this. I'm guessing the Jets bigger concern is having a runner to split carries with Greene, and don't trust McKnight or Powell to handle that kind of load.

McKnight has fumble problems and he makes me hold my breath every time he touches the ball.

Would Bush really cost that much more? BJG has been a more productive RB over the last 2 seasons.

Ya think? I dont. Pretty sure he's the incumbent.

McKnight has fumble problems and he makes me hold my breath every time he touches the ball.

Would Bush really cost that much more? BJG has been a more productive RB over the last 2 seasons.

I would guess so, but I could certainly be wrong about that. If the price is even close to the same, then you absolutely go for Bush. I just figure, stats aside, most NFL teams have to realize that Bush has much more ability and upside to really be that lead back, while BJGE is really just a solid player who can contribute to a committee type backfield.

If nothing else, Bush is the type of player that could have a team fall in love with him and drive up the price tag, where I just don't see that happening with Green-Ellis.

Sanchez can fix that.

I would guess so, but I could certainly be wrong about that. If the price is even close to the same, then you absolutely go for Bush. I just figure, stats aside, most NFL teams have to realize that Bush has much more ability and upside to really be that lead back, while BJGE is really just a solid player who can contribute to a committee type backfield.

If nothing else, Bush is the type of player that could have a team fall in love with him and drive up the price tag, where I just don't see that happening with Green-Ellis.

I dunno. Clearly not many teams were knocking down either door. BJG has never fumbled, and has had 2 10+ plus TD seasons in a row, and 1k to boot in a 3 back system. Thats actually kinda of impressive.

I dont think he's a fit with the Jets. We need a change of pace 3rd down back that can catch.

This.

This would be a horrible move. Law Firm is 1-dimensional, slow, plodder. Jesus this team is pissing me off. WTF.

I dunno. Clearly not many teams were knocking down either door. BJG has never fumbled, and has had 2 10+ plus TD seasons in a row, and 1k to boot in a 3 back system. Thats actually kinda of impressive.

I dont think he's a fit with the Jets. We need a change of pace 3rd down back that can catch.

Patriots offensive line is beast. Better than ours.

O-lines make 1000 yard, 10 TD RBs like him. We'll have to pay him like a starter.

Rule of thumb? Never pay a RB his second contract. That position is dominated by youth, it is what the draft is for. Free agent RBs not in the top 5 of the league are a waste of money.

O-lines make 1000 yard, 10 TD RBs like him. We'll have to pay him like a starter.

Rule of thumb? Never pay a RB his second contract. That position is dominated by youth, it is what the draft is for. Free agent RBs not in the top 5 of the league are a waste of money.

Agreed 100%. If they want to bring in another back, draft somebody. The position is so devalued anyway that they can get a good value and player at a bunch of different spots in the draft. Would be better off spending money upgrading the offensive line.

Lots of good backs this year and signing a guy means they won't draft any of them, which would be a disappointment. Not that I think they have to draft one, but it'd be good to have the option if the right guy is BPA.

I cringe at the thought of seeing Green-Ellis on the back of a Jets jersey.

No to Micheal Bush...this guy is just plain ole average.

Yes to Kevin Smith!

Not a burner per say, but always seems to break a few and still has a couple years cheap.

Disagree. Bush is a great receiver out of the backfield, good is pass protection, and most importantly can carry the ball 20 times a game no problem, for a good average ypc.

He'd be a good signing, as opposed to BJGE who does one thing well. As long as Logan Mankins is blocking for him, and we don't have Mankins. Look at his stats with and without Mankins. Everyone in NE knows this to be true.

Meh, thats not universal. Depends on the situation. There are some really good RB's working on their 2nd contract

And the Jets had one of the best OL's in the league from 08-10. Last year was just a huge step back. But yes, he benefited from playing on an offense that always keeps you on your toes with a HOF'er the helm.

Depends on the price tag. I agree they need a change of pace back but itd be nice for someone to be able to split the carries with Greene, a role where Greene has been his most effective. We all know how great he was when him and Thomas Jones split the carries. Could be a decent signing. I like Jonathan Stewart a lot more though, has he had injury issues?

I guess I just disagree with the premise that anyone in the NFL is impressed enough with BJGE that they'll be doling out any sort of big money for him. If that's the case then it's a completely different story, and I don't think he's worth that much, but I'd say the general view is, despite him technically being the starter in NE, that the guy is more of a solid backup option. If he really does come cheap, then I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to bring in a solid guy as insurance against going into the year with just Greene, with his known issues, and a couple of question marks in McKnight and Powell. If it's anything more than on the cheap, then that changes things and I agree that it's not the way to go. But as far as drafting another RB, I'm just not sure another mid-to-late round pick is the answer, and I just don't see the Jets investing a high pick at the position.

The Jets gave Curtis his second contract! That worked out alright.

Green-Ellis was 3rd in DYAR and 2nd in DVOA in 2010. In 2011 he dropped to 15th and 18th, respectively. Not sure which is the trend here but even if last year is any indicator he's a solid back to have in the mix. I wouldn't be offended if he came here for the right price. He's a serious upgrade over McKnight.

Only downside, as mentioned, is that McKnight remains our only pass-catching back. But really, who cares if we're running it 40 times a game.

I also like him better than Michael Bush.

Archived