The Jets have a good track record with trades (for T0mShane)

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56408/jets-have-good-track-record-with-trades

nyj.gif

Jets have a good track record with trades

April 1, 11:00 AM By James Walker

The Tim Tebow trade with the Denver Broncos is one of the most high-profile acquisitions in recent memory for the New York Jets.

But will it be the best trade? That remains to be seen.

The Jets have made several big-name trades over the past five years. Here are the notable ones, courtesy of ESPN's Stats and Information:

• March 2007: Acquired Thomas Jones & 2nd-round pick from Bears for 2nd-round pick
  • February 2008: Acquired Kris Jenkins from Panthers for 3rd & 5th-round picks
  • August 2008: Acquired Brett Favre & 7th-round pick from Packers for 3rd-round pick
  • February 2009: Acquired Lito Sheppard & 5th-round pick from Eagles for 5th-round pick and 2010 4th-round pick
  • October 2009: Acquired Braylon Edwards from Browns for Chansi Stuckey, Jason Trusnik & 3rd and 5th-round picks
  • March 2010: Acquired Antonio Cromartie from Chargers for 2nd-round pick
  • April 2010: Acquired Santonio Holmes from Steelers for 5th-round pick
  • March 2012: Acquired Tim Tebow & 7th-round pick from Broncos for 4th & 6th-round picks

This is a solid track record with trades. Many have worked out for the Jets, at least to some degree. I would say the Jones and Jenkins trades probably brought back the most production. The Holmes and Cromartie trades also brought back two starters.

Where the Tebow trade fits in this remains to be seen. New York didn't give up much for Tebow -- just a fourth and a sixth-rounder -- but Tebow is a backup quarterback. Tebow’s toughness, character and athleticism will certainly add something to the Jets. New York just has to control the circus atmosphere and the potential for a quarterback controversy that comes with it.

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has to do his job as the starter to make the Tebow trade work. If Sanchez is throwing well, that allows Tebow to run and do the Wildcat packages well. That combination could be trouble for the AFC East and the rest of New York's opponents next season.

"If nothing else, you have to prepare for it and spend time on it," Bills head coach Chan Gailey said at the owners meetings. "It takes preparation away from the base offense. If nothing else, it's a thorn in your side in preparation as far as how much time you give to it and what you're going to do against it."

Will the Tebow trade be among the best moves the Jets made in recent years? There is potential for everything to fall in place -- and apart -- for New York.

How many Super Bowls have those trades won them? Zero because the bean counter can't find a QB. Plus not enough 6th and 7 rounders on the roster showing they don't know how to draft for depth.

I expect at least one trade...I also think it ends well.

The problem isn't with the quality of the players, it's that they cost a billion dollars after you trade for them. Took a while but this was the first year that you really saw the inherent problems that exist financially when you go all in and build a team this way.

This. Its not like the Jets got these guys and had them for cheap.I think, with the exception of Tebow and Favre, every one of those players would have been a free agent just 1 year after the trade. Jones and Jenkins renegotiated the day of the trade. Braylon would have made big bucks if not for the uncapped season keeping him as a RFA. Holmes got paid monster money after just 1 year. Cromartie got paid monster money after just one year. Trades, if you have to renegotiate them, are essentially RFA pickups. You are paying draft compensation and in return doling out big money by year 2. It can help improve a team, but its very difficult to build totally through free agency which is what the Jets more or less did. When they drafted well in 2006 and 2007 it wasnt so apparent that it might hurt financially since the high costs were balanced out by the low costs. But now that 2008-2010 was just flop after flop you realize just how valuable those dollars really were.

Games are not won or lost based on signings that look good on paper but the Patriots just brought in 8 quality mid tier free agents. Our cap structure limited us to 1, Laron Landry, and he is just a 1 year rental as well.

The problem isn't with the quality of the players, it's that they cost a billion dollars after you trade for them. Took a while but this was the first year that you really saw the inherent problems that exist financially when you go all in and build a team this way.

Word. It's actually a credit to Tannenbaum that it's taken this long for roster attrition to set in, given all the band-aids he's been throwing on this pig.

Unfortunately in the life of free agency in the NFL, this is what you get....constant reshuffling

Or, you could just try drafting a wide receiver, or nose tackle, or back, and developing them so you can control their rights for four years at a relatively cheap cost.

Word. It's actually a credit to Tannenbaum that it's taken this long for roster attrition to set in, given all the band-aids he's been throwing on this pig.

It's the difference you see between a team like us and the Steelers. You get guys like Farrior getting older, but they have guys like Sylvester coming up right behind him. They can lose guys like Plax, Holmes, and Ward as the years go on because they're bringing up guys like Brown and Wallace. Trading 3 through 5th rounders for stars still on their previous deals for one year is great, but you really have to wonder what the long-term effects are. Particularly with this season where there was obviously some major changes needed and a good FA market, but the Jets really couldn't do anything. Also, those rounds tend to land you some really good developmental LB's and OL for several years on the cheap...two areas where I don't think it's a coincidence that we're lacking some real long-term replacements for the aging guys. Pace, Thomas, Moore, even Woody last season...there's just nobody to come in and fill those roles. The issue isn't if Braylon, Jenkins, Cro and Holmes are/were good, of course they are, it's that you give up 4 players for 6 and murder your financial flexibility in the long run. If you draft well, 3-4 of those 6 you draft won't present that huge of a disparity over the long term and you'll have some serious room to do what you want every year in the draft and in FA. Having Braylon for a year and a half was nice, but there's always a flipside and I'm not so sure it was worth it.

Lito also has no business being listed as a success. He was terrible. In hindsight that we actually sacrificed a 4th for him makes me nauseous.

This. Its not like the Jets got these guys and had them for cheap.I think, with the exception of Tebow and Favre, every one of those players would have been a free agent just 1 year after the trade. Jones and Jenkins renegotiated the day of the trade. Braylon would have made big bucks if not for the uncapped season keeping him as a RFA. Holmes got paid monster money after just 1 year. Cromartie got paid monster money after just one year. Trades, if you have to renegotiate them, are essentially RFA pickups. You are paying draft compensation and in return doling out big money by year 2. It can help improve a team, but its very difficult to build totally through free agency which is what the Jets more or less did. When they drafted well in 2006 and 2007 it wasnt so apparent that it might hurt financially since the high costs were balanced out by the low costs. But now that 2008-2010 was just flop after flop you realize just how valuable those dollars really were. Games are not won or lost based on signings that look good on paper but the Patriots just brought in 8 quality mid tier free agents. Our cap structure limited us to 1, Laron Landry, and he is just a 1 year rental as well.
This was a very good breakdown.

Is this supposed to be good or bad? lol I would tear them apart one by one. Then I'd point out that the ones that did turn out well were Braylon Edwards, but he obviously didn't think so, and so it turned into a whole lot to give away for 20 games of service. That's a common theme on that list. Santonio Holmes would've been a good bargain, but he ruined that by drastically overpaying him (and by doing so, losing the aforementioned Edwards along with half the team's offense last year.)

I would say that Cromartie ended up OK, but again, he didn't think so, because after a season where our corners were one of the best tandems in the league and the key to our #1 defense, he felt he would forgo all other needs and put his full effort, not into giving them help by getting pressure on the QB, but into landing another high priced cornerback! But as usual, he failed to entice a big name FA to come play for the Jests (unless it's Favre, but he changed his mind twenty minutes after signing) So, he basically turned a good trade into a self-admitted failure that he needed to correct.....but failed....adding to his track record of playing psychological games with his athletes. He finished that tremendous offseason by accomplishing absolutely nothing else.

I WOULD say those things, except for the fact that he has nothing to do with any of that. lol We aren't saying he makes bad decisions when it comes to football. He makes no decisions. So he ends up carrying out decisions from all over the place, for all different reasons, either selling PSL's or grabbing headlines or Rex likes him or Westoff likes him or Woody likes him. There's no vision. No leadership. NO direction.

SO, basically putting up a list of "his" transactions is meaningless. Usually when your GM is on the radio, you like to tune in and see what direction the team is planning on going. Please tell me what the f--- this doofus brings us. The f---ing wildcat!!?? I'm supposed to feel excited because Tanabum tells me that now we can incorporate the wildcat??!!! Hooray!

Pass rush (3 years later)? - Tanabum says he feels good about Aaron Maybin (and his 5 sacks last year) OH, OK. We're cool now. lmao smh Joke.

It's the difference you see between a team like us and the Steelers. You get guys like Farrior getting older, but they have guys like Sylvester coming up right behind him. They can lose guys like Plax, Holmes, and Ward as the years go on because they're bringing up guys like Brown and Wallace. Trading 3 through 5th rounders for stars still on their previous deals for one year is great, but you really have to wonder what the long-term effects are. Particularly with this season where there was obviously some major changes needed and a good FA market, but the Jets really couldn't do anything. Also, those rounds tend to land you some really good developmental LB's and OL for several years on the cheap...two areas where I don't think it's a coincidence that we're lacking some real long-term replacements for the aging guys. Pace, Thomas, Moore, even Woody last season...there's just nobody to come in and fill those roles. The issue isn't if Braylon, Jenkins, Cro and Holmes are/were good, of course they are, it's that you give up 4 players for 6 and murder your financial flexibility in the long run. If you draft well, 3-4 of those 6 you draft won't present that huge of a disparity over the long term and you'll have some serious room to do what you want every year in the draft and in FA. Having Braylon for a year and a half was nice, but there's always a flipside and I'm not so sure it was worth it.

Lito also has no business being listed as a success. He was terrible. In hindsight that we actually sacrificed a 4th for him makes me nauseous.

Exactly. Look at the QUANTITY of players lost on that list. Everytime we throw away 2,3,4 draft picks, whether they are 2nd round or 7th, we lose depth....and everything u mentioned. Even without ALL of factors other than football that make the Tebow thing asinine, again we give up more draft picks!! A fourth rounder could bring in a starter anywhere on the field....especially with the new rules that are making WRs a dime a dozen, we could've added MUCH NEEDED depth at WR, to make up for his decimation of the team last year and to support his "franchise QB" blah blah blah... Yes, it is pitiful really.

How the f--- is it a good idea to give away VITAL draft picks for a backup QB, especially when we just grabbed one, that has started in the NFL before? How is that at all conducive to building a team? How can anyone not see clearly that was move not motivated by football? It has nothing to do with their uncertainty about Sanchez because Drew Stanton is a better QB than Tebow. Tebow is the worst QB in the league, period, end of discussion. So, that alone tells you what this dude (and franchise) is worth. I dont know how the discussion goes any further than Woody sold us out on this one and he sent the fat spin doctor out there to tell us some BS about the wildcat. Who the f---- would have been on board with a 4th and 6th rounder for a late 7th and and a backup QB who can only run the option? Nobody. I mean, come on. There's no rule saying we HAVE to debate everything. This is unanimous. We got f----ed.

How the f--- is it a good idea to give away VITAL draft picks for a backup QB, especially when we just grabbed one, that has started in the NFL before? How is that at all conducive to building a team? How can anyone not see clearly that was move not motivated by football? It has nothing to do with their uncertainty about Sanchez because Drew Stanton is a better QB than Tebow. Tebow is the worst QB in the league, period, end of discussion. So, that alone tells you what this dude (and franchise) is worth. I dont know how the discussion goes any further than Woody sold us out on this one and he sent the fat spin doctor out there to tell us some BS about the wildcat. Who the f---- would have been on board with a 4th and 6th rounder for a late 7th and and a backup QB who can only run the option? Nobody. I mean, come on. There's no rule saying we HAVE to debate everything. This is unanimous. We got f----ed.

Stanton is better than Tebow? OK.

Doug Jolley, worst trade in Jets history.

I'm not so sure. We traded two number one picks in the deepest DT draft in NFL history for Dewayne Robertson. We could have had Seymour and whatever else we wanted in the first. But nope. Dewayne Robertson.

Games are not won or lost based on signings that look good on paper but the Patriots just brought in 8 quality mid tier free agents. Our cap structure limited us to 1, Laron Landry, and he is just a 1 year rental as well.

Yeah. What gets lost in the shuffle is that it's a two-fold sacrifice. You're not only trading out 4 for 6, but you're also sacrificing another 4-6 mid-level guys you could eventually sign when you're not going this heavy on swapping high quantities of picks for names. After the roll of the dice with Landry, the only other new guys we obtained via signings are Schillens, O'Dowd, and Stanton. We had to give Sanchez a fake contract just so we could afford to resign Pouha. That's a problem.

The problem then gets compounded by his drafting. The fact that 4 out of the 7 mid-round picks we've even had over the past 3 drafts being spent on the backfield makes all of this so much worse. Not to mention guys like Kerley, who's fine and dandy, but when you've already given up multiple picks for WR's already...it's just such a disproportionate amount of concentration for 2 positions. Even with Tebow, now that's a 5th last year and a 4th this year for QB's, when you already went all in on one in the 1st not too long ago. Throw in the 5th for Ainge as well while you're at it 4 years back if you're feeling saucy enough.

Yeah. What gets lost in the shuffle is that it's a two-fold sacrifice. You're not only trading out 4 for 6, but you're also sacrificing another 4-6 mid-level guys you could eventually sign when you're not going this heavy on swapping high quantities of picks for names. After the roll of the dice with Landry, the only other new guys we obtained via signings are Schillens, O'Dowd, and Stanton. We had to give Sanchez a fake contract just so we could afford to resign Pouha. That's a problem.

A fairly easy problem to get over....All it requires is that the team doesn't suck next year...Can't help but notice the emphasis is on coaching and the p word right now, and personally I'm fine with that. This is a great coaching staff for a young team IMO, and this team HAS been getting younger as the older guys who pushed '09 and '10 fade out.

Do you think this offseason is an effort to change directions, by (mostly) holding on to our picks and not opting to go heavily into free agency? Some capologists were under the impression that, had we wanted to, we could have freed up enough cap space to garner more than Landry and Chaz Schillens.

Do you think this offseason is an effort to change directions, by (mostly) holding on to our picks and not opting to go heavily into free agency? Some capologists were under the impression that, had we wanted to, we could have freed up enough cap space to garner more than Landry and Chaz Schillens.

Won't know until after the draft. Jets have a lot of comp picks and those are untradeable, so that's a good thing. Then again it could also make him overconfident in terms of trading up. This is the most important draft for this franchise since '06 no doubt though. Tons of starters that this team is going to need over the next 2 seasons. 3 LB's, 2 WR, and 2 OL minimum, probably a TE because I doubt Keller's here in 2013, and at least 2 DB's. That's a pretty high quantity.

this actually underscores my main criticism of tanny, he front loads the roster with stars, and rounds out the bottom of the roster with scrubs, so any hiccup with the stars, and it's wait till next year

Won't know until after the draft. Jets have a lot of comp picks and those are untradeable, so that's a good thing. Then again it could also make him overconfident in terms of trading up. This is the most important draft for this franchise since '06 no doubt though. Tons of starters that this team is going to need over the next 2 seasons. 3 LB's, 2 WR, and 2 OL minimum, probably a TE because I doubt Keller's here in 2013, and at least 2 DB's. That's a pretty high quantity.

I don't know that I'd mind much if Tannenbaum traded our 5th, 6th and 7th (non-compensatory) picks to move up into the late-4th if there was someone we were targetting. That would net us 8 players. If we stay put with 10 picks, we run the risk of as many as 6 of them just being fodder type players when we need future starters out there.

No it isn't and no it doesn't. It requires that the team drafts well and protects its finances. Two things it's proven to be very iffy about.

Finances seem to be just fine from over here unless I'm forgetting something, and if one of those crappy QBs steps up this roster isn't bad or old anymore. Just don't buy they've been drafting as poorly as maybe some ha e come to believe from...whatever it is.

Archived