Hypocritical JetNation Participating in Baseless Rumor Mongering

T0mShane

Coples Told To “Take A Seat” by Jets Coaches

by Dennis Agapito on May 5, 2012

in Camp Reports, Jet News

NYJ11.gif

Various sources have confirmed that New York Jets first round draft pick Quinton Coples had been told to remain out of 11-on-11 drills during today’s rookie mini-camp:

Jenny Vrentas / The Star Ledger:

Coples was suited up for practice today and took part in individual drills, but he was on the sideline for the team period. The defensive end said he was not injured. He called it a “coach’s decision” to keep him out.

Rich Cimini / ESPN:

Coples, who watched the 11-on-11 drills from the sideline with helmet in hand, said he had no idea why he was told to sit out. He said he’s not injured; he participated in individual drills.

“They told me to sit out and that’s what I did,” the former North Carolina defensive end said.

Asked if he questioned the decision, Coples said, “There’s no time to question it. This is the NFL. If the boss says sit down, sit down. That’s what I did.”

Manish Mehta / Daily News:

On the second day of rookie mini-camp, the coaches kept him on the sidelines during 11-on-11 team drills. Coples participated in individual drills before watching 11 on 11s on Saturday.

“They told me to sit out and that’s what I did,” Coples said. “There’s no time to question it. This is the NFL. If the boss says sit down, sit down. So that’s what I did.”

Was Coples, who said that he wasn’t injured, curious why he wasn’t participating in team drills?

“I am,” Coples said. “I trust the staff. They (made) the best decision for me. And I’ll move forward from there.”

Coples was considered a top ten pick going into the 2012 draft but questions about his attitude and motivation on the field while at the University of North Carolina caused his draft status to decline. The Jets ultimately selected him with the #16 overall pick.

In the past the Jets have held out players from practice who were on the verge of signing a contract. This might be what is behind Coples absence as he remains unsigned even though second round pick Stephen Hill already has a contract. Given Coples reputation the benching does raise some “red flags” but Coach Ryan had nothing but praise for Coplesafter day one of practice, so this being a disciplinary move seems unlikely.

Ryan is set to address the media at 3 pm today after practice. He will surely be giving an explanation as to why Coples was held out of specific team drills.

I hated the pick.

But sitting him down has nothing to do with his performance on the field. its not like this is the training camp or a regular season practice. Too much being made out of nothing.

I'm hoping that all the bust stuff posted here is just kidding. What BG said above is exactly what happened. Rex said after the first practice that Coples would have had 6 sacks.

It appears he was dominating the try out players so badly they couldn't evaluate them fairly so they sat him.

This is not a bad thing

So, you think it's a good idea to "sit" (or reward) a player - a rookie - who has a questionable work ethic (so says the media, not me) after a great day of practice? Sounds weird to me.....it's the Jets though! ;)

So, you think it's a good idea to "sit" (or reward) a player - a rookie - who has a questionable work ethic (so says the media, not me) after a great day of practice? Sounds weird to me.....it's the Jets though! ;)

I doubt this a reward. No player regardless of work ethic wants to be sidelined during rookie camp. Cople's reaction is that of surprise and even dissapointment. This is classic Jets leverage. He's not signed so he sits and watches the other DE's get all his snaps. The FO's way of twisting his nuts until he puts his signature on the contract. Kind of scumbaggy and a bit unfair to the kid. But business is business, I guess.

I doubt this a reward. No player regardless of work ethic wants to be sidelined during rookie camp. Cople's reaction is that of surprise and even dissapointment. This is classic Jets leverage. He's not signed so he sits and watches the other DE's get all his snaps. The FO's way of twisting his nuts until he puts his signature on the contract. Kind of scumbaggy and a bit unfair to the kid. But business is business, I guess.

Honestly, that makes all the sense in the world. Not the - "he dominated so much, we held him out" stuff. C'mon now.

The NFL is indeed a business. A thriving business.

i've seen practices where star players are told to sit because they can't evaluate the rest of the team. Look at the roster of the rookie minicamp it's full of terrible players. Coples getting 6 sacks in an hour doesn't tell them anything useful.

i've seen practices where star players are told to sit because they can't evaluate the rest of the team. Look at the roster of the rookie minicamp it's full of terrible players. Coples getting 6 sacks in an hour doesn't tell them anything useful.

you realize Rex was joking when he said that

We might as well hold him out of the games too.

The point was that he has not yet signed a contract and this could have been a move by the Jets to try to expedite that process.... that is, if a player actually cares enough about the game that he's motivated to get on the field so that he can be at his best when it matters (and has some financial assurances should he get injured).

Thought a draft guru like you would appreciate this story:

http://blogs.bostonmagazine.com/boston_daily/2012/05/07/matt-light-appreciation/?utm_source=iContact

all accounts had Coples dominating practice the day before. The level of competition he was going against, it's expected.

Yes. They held their first round pick out of a much needed practice because they really needed to find out which offensive lineman they could stick on their practice squad.

Yes. They held their first round pick out of a much needed practice because they really needed to find out which offensive lineman they could stick on their practice squad.

Outside of the practice being "much needed," that's probably pretty close to 100% true.

Coples should be a man amongst boys in that practice. The Jets, meanwhile, are looking at UDFAs and tryout guys, trying to figure out if any of them are worth a damn. Hard to evaluate Phil Simms' kid when he's getting sacked every down.

Outside of the practice being "much needed," that's probably pretty close to 100% true.

Coples should be a man amongst boys in that practice. The Jets, meanwhile, are looking at UDFAs and tryout guys, trying to figure out if any of them are worth a damn. Hard to evaluate Phil Simms' kid when he's getting sacked every down.

Is that really more likely than the management just wanting to see his name on a contract before he risks injury? Come on now. It's Quintin F'ing Coples in shorts here.

Is that really more likely than the management just wanting to see his name on a contract before he risks injury? Come on now. It's Quintin F'ing Coples in shorts here.

I'm sure that's part of it, too, but that probably wouldn't've been as important if he didn't play super awesome the day before! :)

PatFansTx would have been proud of this trolling.

We should a two week (maybe one) Patsfantx amnesty week. He goes free for that time frame so all the new posters can figure out what they missed.

We should a two week (maybe one) Patsfantx amnesty week. He goes free for that time frame so all the new posters can figure out what they missed.

That would be epic.

Only thing after the 2 week stay we will need a count of how many time the mods almost pressed the BAN button.

Archived