Holmes throws helmet in disgust at todays OTA's.."too many reps coach"

Matt39

I don't doubt that Holmes pulled up lame, particularly since some of the original reports from OTAs before Holmes spoke seemed to indicate it looked like just that. Although it begs the question why he would lie about it and come up with such a dumb reason as "too many reps". It's like Revis with his cryptic "I don't know" nonsense regarding going to camp. These guys really are just idiots sometimes, not much more to it than that. They're too stupid to realize if they were just honest there would be none of this nonsense, especially with those two given their past histories.

Players don't care what we bicker about here.

Why would you expect them to do anything different in order to avoid all this nonsense?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't doubt that Holmes pulled up lame, particularly since some of the original reports from OTAs before Holmes spoke seemed to indicate it looked like just that. Although it begs the question why he would lie about it and come up with such a dumb reason as "too many reps". It's like Revis with his cryptic "I don't know" nonsense regarding going to camp. These guys really are just idiots sometimes, not much more to it than that. They're too stupid to realize if they were just honest there would be none of this nonsense, especially with those two given their past histories.

I think its safe to say that someone is working for Max. 20 pages later...and BOOM!!!

Hey bit, do hamstrings injuries often happen when a player is tired, fatigued and potentially dehydrated? Just curious.

Except Holmes stated immediately afterward that he didn't throw his helmet because of an injury. He left because he didn't want to run anymore. But you keep polishing that turd, fellas.

want_a_cookie_8x10.thumbnail.jpg

I like cookies.

Except Holmes stated immediately afterward that he didn't throw his helmet because of an injury. He left because he didn't want to run anymore. But you keep polishing that turd, fellas.

Conflicting reports dawg, conflicting reports.

Conflicting reports dawg, conflicting reports.

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29222/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=FqfjAKT8

"Coach Rex Ryan said Holmes took himself out of practice early last week because of the injury but wasn't sure before practice how much Holmes would do. Holmes wound up spending practice working off to the side with the rehab group, at one point running sprints across the back of the end zone."

Must be one of those crazy hamstring injuries that just limits you to sprinting.

http://www.livestron...aying-football/

Long-Term Hamstring Injuries While Playing Football

Aug 25, 2011 | By Ken Pomponio

The hamstrings provide the impetus for sudden bursts of motion needed by football players, particularly running backs and wide receivers. Hamstrings also are vital to the linebackers and defensive backs, who must keep up with and chase down offensive players. With all the quick starts and sudden stops, the hamstrings are highly taxed, often resulting in injuries. While most hamstring injuries are minor, others are more serious, requiring lengthy and dedicated treatment.

Pivotal Muscles

Located in the back part of the thigh, the hamstring muscles are the engine belts for athletes. Hamstrings consist of three muscles. Starting at the bottom of the pelvis, running through the knee and connecting to the bones in the lower leg, the hamstrings allow leg extension and knee bending. They are vital to an athlete's flexibility and propulsion.

Breaking Down

Most hamstring injuries are minor, classified as grade 1 strains or pulls. Symptoms include a sudden tightness in the back of the thigh and muscle weakness. Others are more severe, such as the grade 2 partial tears. Grade 3 complete tears are when the hamstring and tendons are completely ripped from the connecting bones. These are marked by a popping or tearing sensation in the leg that is often audible. Some may even notice a ball or lump of muscle on the back of the thigh. The most severe is an avulsion injury, occuring when the muscle entirely rips away, taking a small piece of the bone with it.

Treatments

The minor grade 1 hamstring injuries and some grade 2 strains require nothing more than the application of ice packs, elevation of the injured leg and a few days or week or two of rest. In general, the larger the tear, the longer the recovery time. However, some severe grade 3 hamstring tears may require surgery to reattach the muscles and tendons to the bones. After surgery, the leg typically is immobilized in a brace. Physical rehabilitation then follows. All told, the recovery time from these severe injuries can take as long as six months or longer.

Long-Term Prognosis

Correcting severe hamstring tears with surgery, following a prescribed treatment plan and allowing enough time for healing are vital to recovery. In research included in an article on hamstring injuries at New York's Hospital for Special Surgery website, 85 percent of athletes undergoing surgery to repair a partial tear were able to regain their previous level of play. Meanwhile, approximately 58 percent of players in the study with complete hamstring tears were able to return to playing without surgical repair, but most were unable to attain the same level of performance they had before injury. As a means of prevention and long-term care -- especially for athletes who already have suffered any kind of hamstring strain or injury -- strengthening exercises and pre-game or pre-workout stretching are important. Failure to do so can result in re-injury, which often times is more damaging than the original injury. Recurring injuries to the same leg increase the risk of permanent damage.

i aint a doctor but there's a thousand shades of hamstring strain. you can have a mild one and still sprint. You can also tear the muscle off the bone and not walk.

It's possible Holmes said he was fine after practice and was not lying... after the athlete cools off soft tissue injuries feel much worse... when the body tightens up. Again im not a doctor but If Holmes had to play the Super Bowl tomorrow he could probably do it but obviously that's not the case. It's friggin June. Which makes this 20+ page thread even more ridiculous.

What would your opinion of this story be if it went like this: Holmes complains about being fatigued and a bit behind scheduled, wants to take some reps off but the coaching staff kept him in their in June and he tore his acl/achilles/hamstring, whatever, and is out for the season leaving the Jets with Stephen Hill as #1 and Chaz Schillens as #2 for a combined 72 professional receptions.

I would say if those other two guys can play...good for us. I will take a stand up guy over San-Blow-Me-Oh any day of the week.

Yes because standup guys always win championships. Give me a f***ing break with this.

That's not what I am saying, what I am saying is San-Blow-Me-Oh doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt because he has proven time and time again that he is a problem. He was on the Steelers and he is one now with us. He just doesnt want to do what every other Jet is doing. He is getting paid well to ****en play football dude come on.

That's not what I am saying, what I am saying is San-Blow-Me-Oh doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt because he has proven time and time again that he is a problem. He was on the Steelers and he is one now with us. He just doesnt want to do what every other Jet is doing. He is getting paid well to ****en play football dude come on.

You're right that he doesn't deserve the benefit for his character. But acting like his absence wouldn't hurt us on the field is laughable. He's EASILY our most talented skill player on offense, like it or not. We won't win without him this season, period.

You're right that he doesn't deserve the benefit for his character. But acting like his absence wouldn't hurt us on the field is laughable. He's EASILY our most talented skill player on offense, like it or not. We won't win without him this season, period.

I do see what your saying...but I don't like the guy.

Perhaps he is, but that has a lot more to do with the lack of talent on the Jets offense than Holmes being close to the all-world player some hype him up to be. Even then, an argument could be made otherwise considering Keller significantly outperformed Holmes last year. That's not to say the Jets wouldn't be hurt (on the field) by his absence, rather that his talents are hardly irreplaceable either (of course it's a little too late in the offseason to be doing that now).

woooooooow.....Santonio running sprints on a freshly healed hammie!!!! I take back everything I said about the guy. He must have tweeked it, healed it, and now he is running sprints 2 days later. This isnt conditioning, this is SANTONIO 2.0 Freaking AWESOME

I know I was done with this conversation but I keep seeing this...other than screaming at Mark in the huddle after he just threw the season away chilling out in the shade in Miami - what else has he done that is problematic?

Perhaps he is, but that has a lot more to do with the lack of talent on the Jets offense than Holmes being close to the all-world player some hype him up to be. Even then, an argument could be made otherwise considering Keller significantly outperformed Holmes last year. That's not to say the Jets wouldn't be hurt (on the field) by his absence, rather that his talents are hardly irreplaceable either (of course it's a little too late in the offseason to be doing that now).

Just for the record - with Mark Sanchez at the helm - Holmes last year was on par with any WR to play with Mark. Keller's 65 catches last season, was the most receptions a receiver has ever had with Mark. So people knock Holmes for his year, but he was actually right on par with typical numbers for a receiver playing with Mark Sanchez.

Just for the record - with Mark Sanchez at the helm - Holmes last year was on par with any WR to play with Mark. Keller's 65 catches last season, was the most receptions a receiver has ever had with Mark. So people knock Holmes for his year, but he was actually right on par with typical numbers for a receiver playing with Mark Sanchez.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt his numbers are impacted by his QB, as are all the Jets' skill players. And I've said before, I don't think he's a bad player at all, I just never saw him as an elite talent, even before last season. You know this isn't just because of the season he just had, because you and I had that very discussion throughout last offseason. I guess my point more than anything is if he was as great as some tried to paint him as, then don't you think even with Mark Sanchez, he would have put up better numbers than guys like Cotchery and Edwards before him, particularly since Sanchez set career highs across the board last year? He's still a very good player no doubt, and the team would be worse on the field without him, but I also think he could potentially be replaced with someone who would cost less and cause less problems. That said, it's way too late to be thinking about that for this season.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt his numbers are impacted by his QB, as are all the Jets' skill players. And I've said before, I don't think he's a bad player at all, I just never saw him as an elite talent, even before last season. You know this isn't just because of the season he just had, because you and I had that very discussion throughout last offseason. I guess my point more than anything is if he was as great as some tried to paint him as, then don't you think even with Mark Sanchez, he would have put up better numbers than guys like Cotchery and Edwards before him, particularly since Sanchez set career highs across the board last year? He's still a very good player no doubt, and the team would be worse on the field without him, but I also think he could potentially be replaced with someone who would cost less and cause less problems. That said, it's way too late to be thinking about that for this season.

Whats interesting about Sanchez putting up career numbers across the board, is that the offense IMO looked worse than it ever had. I never recall as many 3 and outs or turnovers during the Sanchez era as I did last season and the running game sucked

Either way, the difference in numbers between Holmes, Edwards and Cotch is minimal (except for yards that one season with Edwards), so I just see it as thats what you're going to get from the WR position with Sanchez at the helm until/if he takes the next step....I kind of the same way Holmes production increased when Big Ben finally put it all together.

I get your point and see your logic but this offense was so bad...its hard to make it that simple, IMO. The other thing to consider and this is just off the top of my head from another similar conversation but I think the ball was spread around more last season than ever before.

I know I was done with this conversation but I keep seeing this...other than screaming at Mark in the huddle after he just threw the season away chilling out in the shade in Miami - what else has he done that is problematic?

SRSLY. It's not like he was forcibly ejected from another organization or something.

Whats interesting about Sanchez putting up career numbers across the board, is that the offense IMO looked worse than it ever had. I never recall as many 3 and outs or turnovers during the Sanchez era as I did last season and the running game sucked

I would actually agree with this, although the running game sucking also played into Sanchez's numbers, as the Jets ended up passing the ball more than ever before because of that.

I get your point and see your logic but this offense was so bad...its hard to make it that simple, IMO.

Yeah, can't really argue with that one too much. Hopefully everyone plays significantly better this year and then we don't have to worry about this sh*t. Plus as an extra bonus, then it will be even funnier hearing Gato still trying to excuse how Schotty doesn't suck at his job when the Jets turn it around at the same time the once-beloved Bradford becomes a complete turnover machine under his watch.

Archived