ESPN Reporting Tebow will be Red Zone QB

Ryno the Jet

I love Rex's goofy logic in this.

Sanchez was one of the best redzone QBs last year in terms of TD percentage, but the Jets had a hard time running the ball. So in order to help that running deficiency, Rex is putting Tebow out that at the sake of losing their high TD percentage.

I can't find it, basically it said "Tebow has been asked to bulk up to 250 because he'll be used as a runner in the red zone, and at the goal line" and that "it will lower the ceiling on Shonn Greene's TD potential" since it was fantasy football related.

It's amusing how in denial Jets fans seem to be about what Tebow does for a living.

I didn't read that article. But what I was told it said was that Tebow would take every red zone snap at QB. That isn't going to happen. But like I said, I didn't read that article.

Rex Ryan wants Rex Ryan to succeed.

Tony Sparano wants Tony Sparano to succeed.

And Sanchez was very good in the redzone last year, so why would they fvck with that?

We go thru complaints here so fast -especially about Sanchez- that you seem to've forgotten one from about four months ago. The one where they gave Sanchez a three year, $40M extension with half of it fully guaranteed. There's no way they're pulling him in the redzone with any regularity. They want him to throw TD passes, maybe even to Tebow.

And Sanchez was very good in the redzone last year, so why would they fvck with that?

We go thru complaints here so fast -especially about Sanchez- that you seem to've forgotten one from about four months ago. The one where they gave Sanchez a three year, $40M extension with half of it fully guaranteed. There's no way they're pulling him in the redzone with any regularity. They want him to throw TD passes, maybe even to Tebow.

The extension also makes him eminently more cuttable sooner rather than later, iirc.

My point was that the wagons aren't circled around Sanchez anymore, and if he's not vastly improved, Rex is running out of time to nurture him through any further growing pains. Obviously, the Jets want Sanchez to succeed, but it won't come at the cost of losing games at this point. The simple fact that Tebow is on the roster is testament to that.

And I still don't subscribe to the belief that Tebow is here to play TE or HBack. He's never done it, and he's not athletic enough to do it anyway. He's a stiff 4.7/40 guy who gets his yardage on scrambles. Getting himself open in the pattern, or picking up yardage running out of the I is a different world. Hell, if they were looking for an athletic conversion player who could primarily play TE and still take a few snaps under center, Vince Young was their best option by far. Tebow is here to play QB, whether it be for five snaps or twenty. If there's a few novelty plays where he lines up in the backfield, I don't see how that's using him to the best of his ability. It sounds cool, but it's not realistic.

I didn't read that article. But what I was told it said was that Tebow would take every red zone snap at QB. That isn't going to happen. But like I said, I didn't read that article.

The Jets bringing in Tebow would be like your wife hiring a hunky, live-in pool boy. You can pretend all you want that he's just there to clean the pool, but you'd just be kidding yourself. Also, in this analogy, you don't even own a pool.

The Jets bringing in Tebow would be like your wife hiring a hunky, live-in pool boy. You can pretend all you want that he's just there to clean the pool, but you'd just be kidding yourself. Also, in this analogy, you don't even own a pool.

Tebow is the backup quarterback.

The thought of him starting games here other than due to injury is as unlikely as you not being grossed out by girls.

The extension also makes him eminently more cuttable sooner rather than later, iirc.

No. The benefit to the Jets was the drop in his 2012 cap number. There would still be a charge in excess of $4M if they opted to cut him next year.

My point was that the wagons aren't circled around Sanchez anymore, and if he's not vastly improved, Rex is running out of time to nurture him through any further growing pains. Obviously, the Jets want Sanchez to succeed, but it won't come at the cost of losing games at this point. The simple fact that Tebow is on the roster is testament to that.

And I still don't subscribe to the belief that Tebow is here to play TE or HBack. He's never done it, and he's not athletic enough to do it anyway. He's a stiff 4.7/40 guy who gets his yardage on scrambles. Getting himself open in the pattern, or picking up yardage running out of the I is a different world. Hell, if they were looking for an athletic conversion player who could primarily play TE and still take a few snaps under center, Vince Young was their best option by far. Tebow is here to play QB, whether it be for five snaps or twenty. If there's a few novelty plays where he lines up in the backfield, I don't see how that's using him to the best of his ability. It sounds cool, but it's not realistic.

Rex bought himself and Sanchez an extra year by changing offensive coordinators. It's the old Herm Edwards trick, but Rex has even more clout with his two AFC Championship appearances. He's not at risk of losing his job unless there's a massive implosion. Barring that, they'll give Sanchez the whole season, IMHO. There's just no way they're planning now to pull him at QB when they're in the redzone. That would pretty much guarantee that he'd finish the season with more ints than TDs, and they're not going to sabotage him that way before the season even begins.

I hear you on Tebow, and I think they see him as primarily a wildcat guy, but that he'll get work in those HBack, FB type roles, too. There's no doubt the guy has a nose for the endzone, or that Shonn Greene doesn't. I can see Tebow and his big heart (and 250lb. frame) getting a good amount of short yardage carries for the Jets this year. I also think the team will like using him as a decoy, as he's sure to get a ton of attention whenever he's on the field at the same time as Sanchez.

Rex bought himself and Sanchez an extra year by changing offensive coordinators. It's the old Herm Edwards trick, but Rex has even more clout with his two AFC Championship appearances. He's not at risk of losing his job unless there's a massive implosion. Barring that, they'll give Sanchez the whole season, IMHO. There's just no way they're planning now to pull him at QB when they're in the redzone. That would pretty much guarantee that he'd finish the season with more ints than TDs, and they're not going to sabotage him that way before the season even begins.

Spot on except for 1 part.. Sanchez will be passing inside the 10 just like last year, they will look to keep his numbers healthy..

That being said, If the defense is average suddenly and we start losing more then we win, Sanchez will get the hook. I don't think he has the whole year, not at all..

I don't understand what all the commotion is about... We don't exactly have a manning at qb... Heck we don't even have a hasselbeck

We could have had a manning is we weren't cheap. Don't believe for a second that he didn't want to come. He wanted top dollar and our owner was cheap

Archived