EDIT: LaRon Landry activated from PUP

pfilippone

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac2cb3/article/laron-landry-on-jets-pup-list-for-training-camp-start?module=HP11_headline_stack

LaRon Landry on Jets' PUP list for training camp start

By Dan Hanzus

Published: July 23, 2012 at 06:57 p.m.

Updated: July 23, 2012 at 07:31 p.m.

It might be premature to sound the warning bell, but the New York Jets announced Monday that safety LaRon Landry will begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

The Jets signed Landry in the offseason to replace Jim Leonhard at safety, taking a calculated risk on a player whose career has been sidetracked over the past two years by a lingering Achilles tendon issue.

Landry was held out of OTAs as he dealt with a heel issue he said was unrelated to the Achilles problem. He said back in June he was "shocked" by his recovery progress.

The Jets can take Landry off the PUP list at any time, though he must miss the team's first six games if he's still sidelined by the season opener.

The Jets can't be shocked if Landry's absence lingers, and injury-related provisions in the contract the team signed him to speaks to that. New York signed 34-year-old Yeremiah Bell as a fallback plan at safety, but the team could find itself in trouble if Landry goes AWOL and Bell alongside holdover Eric Smith are tasked with covering the Rob Gronkowskis and Aaron Hernandezs of the world.

he had a really bad injury last year. Everyone celebrated this signing but his medical file is a total nightmare. And the pictures he tweeted of himself were david boston-esque.

I still have hopes for this guy, although this news is less than awesome. All the talk up to this point has been that he will be ready for training camp. This is a serious red flag.

------Cpt. Obvious.

His foot is still injured from offseason. He couldnt complete the conditioning physical yeterday bc hes still rehabbing his foot. He'll be okay when it matters...week 1. Itll also give backups a chance to get ready in case he does go down during the season (smith antonio allen etc)

I still have hopes for this guy, although this news is less than awesome. All the talk up to this point has been that he will be ready for training camp. This is a serious red flag.

------Cpt. Obvious.

The talk I heard was about him being ready for the season, not so much about training camp. I am worried that he will be behind the learning curve for the mental part of Rex's defense but I have been worried about that since he decided to not be a part of the offseason program even thought that was understood from the get go as well...

We said it was take a shot with him- if healthy he can help this team- that is the reason though we brought in the other safeties.

I just hope to God if Landry isn't healthy enough to help this team, then Bush and/or Allen get it together real quick, because I seriously can't take another season of Eric Smith falling on his face over and over again.

The talk I heard was about him being ready for the season, not so much about training camp. I am worried that he will be behind the learning curve for the mental part of Rex's defense but I have been worried about that since he decided to not be a part of the offseason program even thought that was understood from the get go as well...

Maybe, I'm not sure if it was training camp or the season, but I would think being in training camp is a big deal for the mental side for a new player like you said. If he's not there until the opener I would have a very hard time counting on the guy if I were Rex I can tell you that.

my expectations for this guy are really low

he may play 10 games for the jets, and committ 5 roughing penalties in the process

and then get banned for roids

That's cool, as long as he takes E. Smith with him.

No, He still blows

The final lasting memory I'll ever have of Rhodes as a Jet is that game in 2009 vs the Jags. All I remember is seeing Leonhard screaming across the field and flailing his arms at Rhodes, who was completely oblivious to it all. Right there and then, before the ball was even snapped, I knew the Jets had just lost that game. A few seconds later, Marcedes Lewis proceeds to make Rhodes his bitch and there's your ball game.

That said, I'd still take him over Eric Smith in a heartbeat.

Twitter says Laundry's off the PUP and okay to practice with the team.

Well that was quick, which is very, very good to hear. The Jets probably just wanted to cover their asses and make sure they got the PUP submission done in time in case he still needed more time, especially considering they probably hadn't seen him for a while until camp opened today and there's no real downside to doing it.

Post image for Jets Remove Landry Off PUP To Active Roster

Safety LaRon Landry has been recovering from an Achilles injury since last season.  He was scheduled to begin training camp on the active physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list but has been removed from the PUP to the active roster.

This is obviously a good sign regarding the health of Landry’s injury and while he maybe limited it seems he will participate in training camp practices.

di
di

oK_J4pQ4zTg

View the full article

• 2 weeks later...

I am so excited about Laron. The guy is the type of football player you want on your team. Between him, Demario, and Maybin.. this defense is gonna be fun to watch.

I really do think this will be the best defense we have seen under Rex. Really looking forward to seeing what Davis looks like in the preseason games, he should get an extended look.

I really do think this will be the best defense we have seen under Rex. Really looking forward to seeing what Davis looks like in the preseason games, he should get an extended look.

I am with you. I like the direction the defense is going.. hard nosed, big, fast, and strong. I want to see some brutality displayed out there. I just hope Rex has his hands on the D more this year like he said. He is the man I want pulling the strings on this puppet. Demario has the potential to be something fun to watch. Too bad we didn't get The Vontaze.

Archived