Count Ryan Tannehill out of Miami QB race

Ryno the Jet

ESPN.com: AFC East [Print without images]

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Count Ryan Tannehill out of Miami QB race

By James Walker

DAVIE, Fla. -- I'm calling my shot right now: I don't see any scenario where Ryan Tannehill, a rookie, shows up to camp late, beats out two veterans and starts in Week 1.

A contract dispute is perhaps crippling Ryan Tannehill's hopes of starting in the season opener.

Put Tannehill on ice. Hand him a clipboard. He's finished -- at least for the early part of the season.

Any chance Tannehill had of playing right away disappeared after his recent contract dispute forced him to miss the first two days (maybe more?) of training camp. Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland says both sides are making progress, but time is already not on Tannehill's side.

Tannehill probably wasn't going to win Miami’s three-way quarterback competition anyway. He looked like a rookie in spring practices and was clearly the No. 3 quarterback. Tannehill knows the offense well but wasn't used to the speed of the NFL game. Things were moving fast and Tannehill's reads were shaky. That's not a knock on Tannehill, who has the tools to be a great quarterback. But he only had 19 career starts in college and is not ready. It’s expected.

But there was some optimism that a full training camp and four preseason games could be enough time for Tannehill to get up to speed against Matt Moore and David Garrard. The Dolphins do not play the Houston Texans in the regular-season opener for another six weeks. That's a lot of time and a lot of reps for a talented player like Tannehill to make progress. He definitely has the highest ceiling of the three quarterbacks. The sooner his learning curve matches his ceiling, the better it will be for Miami.

Tannehill has missed two days worth of practice time, meetings and time with his teammates. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Tannehill is working out at a private academy. It's a wise move by the rookie, but it can't simulate an NFL training camp.

There is no question Tannehill is Miami's quarterback of the future. But for now a contract dispute killed any chance of Tannehill becoming Miami's quarterback of the present.

1. His Agent is doing a big disservice to him. He needs to be in camp.

Both sides are retarded, I gotta assume this is all over offset language since everything is slotted anyway. I got no problem with the player in the draft who probably needs camp more then anyone taking his time getting there.

It is Jets related somewhat because Tannehill was supposed to lead the Dolphins against us for years. It's a little shaky, though, because unlike the Mannings or Luck, people all over the league were not smacking their lips trying to get this guy. He was a good college QB who would have gone at some point in the draft, his college head coach is now the OC for Miami, so there he goes.

He might not have been a first rounder without that connection.

Seriously, the QB our division rival drafted to be the future of their franchise. Totally irrelevant

ftmfw

Sensitive Jets fans are sensitive.

You goons... it wasn't a knock on the original poster, it was anti-Dolphins trash talk... like saying "hey guys, this Dolphins team is so ****ing irrelevant and their #3 QB is garbage, it's not worth discussing here on our Jets site where our standards are higher" lulz...

#3 QB for the worst team in our division. Get this sh*t off our Jets board.

Know thine enemy!

Haha, actually, I posted this more to poke fun at the goober that now runs the ESPN AFCEast blog. He is from Miami, and it's obvious he does not think much of the Jets. His take on everything sucks!

Sensitive Jets fans are sensitive.

You goons... it wasn't a knock on the original poster, it was anti-Dolphins trash talk... like saying "hey guys, this Dolphins team is so ****ing irrelevant and their #3 QB is garbage, it's not worth discussing here on our Jets site where our standards are higher" lulz...

My bad playa. I didnt mean to come off as sensitive, I was just hating lmao.

ArmandoSalguero Ryan Tannehill, meanwhile, looked sharp considering this was first day. One INT but otherwise largely on target.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

Practice over. Tannehill threw with great anticipation today against the 2's. Moore and Garrard were up and down

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBPMike Sherman on Tannehill: "didn't seem to miss a beat ... He was ahead of where I thought he'd be, particularly after a long night"

How did Tebow and Sanchez do yesterday?

ArmandoSalguero Ryan Tannehill, meanwhile, looked sharp considering this was first day. One INT but otherwise largely on target.

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP

Practice over. Tannehill threw with great anticipation today against the 2's. Moore and Garrard were up and down

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBPMike Sherman on Tannehill: "didn't seem to miss a beat ... He was ahead of where I thought he'd be, particularly after a long night"

How did Tebow and Sanchez do yesterday?

Oooh Tannehill lit it up against the twos!!!! Looks like the Fish might have the second coming of Brett Ratliff down there!

I don't know why Miami's team is named the Dolphins... usually they are portrayed as smart animals

But this team's administration isn't smart at all..

Haven't you been to Sea World? Before I was banned I realized that Dolphins are like the Jews of the sea. They're just natural entertainers and thus perfect for that franchise. I mean without the Dolphin in Ace Ventura Marino would have never won a Super Bowl

Archived