Otah fails physical. trade voided.

whodeawhodat

srsbsness...

Otah can't pass physical; Jets void trade with Panthers

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on diggShare on farkShare on redditShare on email|More Sharing ServicesMoreicon_print.gif Print

12:01 PM, July 31, 2012ι By TIM BONTEMPS

A source told The Post that Jeff Otah, who the Jets had agreed to acquire from the Panthers last week for a conditional seventh-round pick, won't be kept by the Jets.

Otah needed to pass a physical Tuesday in order for the trade to become officially. But after playing four games last season after missing all of the 2010 season due to left knee injuries, Otah was unable to get the knee to the point where he could pass the physical.

The Jets had planned on having Otah, a 2008 first-round pick, compete with embattled incumbent Wayne Hunter for the starting right tackle job. Now Hunter is clearly in line to start there after a rough first season as a starter last year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/otah_can_pass_physical_jets_void_BBYBUyxcYMhGxfSpBlavzN#ixzz22DiQdHqD

Jets say they are looking at teams with abundance of tackles. what a strange time to do that. you either address it in the draft, early in FA, very latest before camp begins or if it is a "luxury" need when cuts begin. to look for it a couple of days into camp is strange although I guess they did pick up Otah a couple of days before. He couldnt have been the only option at the time, right?

Jets say they are looking at teams with abundance of tackles. what a strange time to do that. you either address it in the draft, early in FA, very latest before camp begins or if it is a "luxury" need when cuts begin. to look for it a couple of days into camp is strange although I guess they did pick up Otah a couple of days before. He couldnt have been the only option at the time, right?

Well obviously they had been looking before this, given the Otah trade, but what they're doing seems to be in line with what you're saying, that the next best opportunity is probably going to be in roster cutdowns, and they probably just want to be ready and keep tabs. Not to mention they could always try a move like they did with Schlauderaff last year in snagging a guy they like via trade right before cuts.

Maybe that's what "You'd" do but there's a reason your flipping burgers at McDonald's and Mike T is getting pussy in a penthouse sweet and it's called the process.

okay, maybe what a reasonable gm would do. and no burger flippers here broseph, you may have me confused with your son or dad.

Well obviously they had been looking before this, given the Otah trade, but what they're doing seems to be in line with what you're saying, that the next best opportunity is probably going to be in roster cutdowns, and they probably just want to be ready and keep tabs. Not to mention they could always try a move like they did with Schlauderaff last year in snagging a guy they like via trade right before cuts.

speaking of schauderaff...

Otah back to Panthers; Jets GM says Hunter starter for now

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on diggShare on farkShare on redditShare on email|More Sharing ServicesMoreicon_print.gif Print

12:01 PM, July 31, 2012ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

CORTLAND – Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum met with the media Tuesday to discuss the failed Jeff Otah trade and hit on a few other topics.

The Jets acquired Otah, a right tackle, from the Panthers last week, but the trade was contingent upon him passing a physical within seven days. He did not and Tuesday was the deadline, so he is heading back to Carolina. Otah spent the week on the Active/PUP list, meaning he could not practice.

"Jeff gave us a really good week," Tannenbaum said. "He worked hard. He was a really nice guy. Beyond that, he's a member of the Panthers now."

Tannenbaum said the Jets could bring in someone else to compete at right tackle with incumbent Wayne Hunter.

"We'll keep looking for opportunities to improve the team as they may or may not come along and we'll go from there," Tannenbaum said.

He mentioned that they have identified teams with depth at the position, so it seems likely they will add someone after roster cuts are made.

As far as Hunter, Tannenbaum said he has the inside track at the starting job. He did mention Austin Howard as possible competition on the roster.

"Wayne Hunter is our starting right tackle," Tannenbaum said. "It's reasonable to think he'll play better and we can win with him. We have in the past. With that said, if there are opportunities at any position we're going to always look to add players. He certainly has the inside track to be our right tackle."

But Tannenbaum gave Hunter a tepid endorsement at best, saying:

"He's our starting right tackle until that changes," he said.

Tannenbaum also echoed coach Rex Ryan's feelings on Jeremy Kerley, saying he's disappointed in the second-year receiver as well. Kerley is currently out with hamstring tightness. He also missed time in the spring.

"Knowing that outstanding work ethic he has, the fact that he's had some of these smaller, nagging injuries is a little bit of a surprise to us," Tannenbaum said. "With that said, he played well for us last year. We're projecting a significant role for him. I think we're just kind of anxious to get him out there in our new offense in an important role."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/otah_can_pass_physical_jets_void_BBYBUyxcYMhGxfSpBlavzN#ixzz22EEJmphw

Not predicting it, but I think that it is very possible that Otah could be back with the Jets, depending on what type impression he made on the CS.

It's almost impossible for the Panthers to keep him after this. After failing a physical it's unlikely anyone else will trade for him. odds are he will be a FA in a very short time with limited options.

As a FA he will most likely only command Min, not a 1st round picks salary. Plus no draft pick at all. if he doesn't work out, or recover.

Bye again

Not predicting it, but I think that it is very possible that Otah could be back with the Jets, depending on what type impression he made on the CS.

It's almost impossible for the Panthers to keep him after this. After failing a physical it's unlikely anyone else will trade for him. odds are he will be a FA in a very short time with limited options.

As a FA he will most likely only command Min, not a 1st round picks salary. Plus no draft pick at all. if he doesn't work out, or recover.

Bye again

I can only imagine the sh*t storm we'll see if the Panthers turn around and cut Otah, only for the Jets to then sign him as a FA.

I can only imagine the sh*t storm we'll see if the Panthers turn around and cut Otah, only for the Jets to then sign him as a FA.

Who the **** cares? If your not numb to the media at this point then you're a masochist. Outside us winning a SB and Tebow ascending at midfield to be with his father they're not leaving us alone anyway

Who the **** cares? If your not numb to the media at this point then you're a masochist. Outside us winning a SB and Tebow ascending at midfield to be with his father they're not leaving us alone anyway

Oh, don't get me wrong, I could give less of a sh*t. I'd be too busy laughing my ass off that the Jets managed to pull that off to actually care what the media thought. But that said, you know they use that as the most recent example of the villainous evil-doers that are the Jets.

"Jeff did some nice things for us the week he was here"

- Mike Tannenbaum

no, seriously...he actually said that

Yea he made Mike T realize he needs to stop picking unhealthy players.

Just put Teblow in the position and get it over with already.

In all seriousness, who thinks that Wayne Hunter would win a preseason competition against Vernon Carey? I don't even like Vernon Carey, but the idea of us wasting another season due to Wayne Hunter drives me crazy.

It's sad as **** and we'll still be in trouble but I think Vernon Carey would blow him away in open competition

Winston was out there, is a good solid tackle that would have fit the team well and signed a 4 or 5 year deal . Now we are once again looking for fuxking cast offs like we did at the WR position for years. Sorry but that does not work.

In all seriousness, who thinks that Wayne Hunter would win a preseason competition against Vernon Carey? I don't even like Vernon Carey, but the idea of us wasting another season due to Wayne Hunter drives me crazy.

Vernon Carey's head coach from last season is the Jets offensive coordinator now. If Sparano thought he could beat out Hunter, I'd think he'd be here already.

Vernon Carey's head coach from last season is the Jets offensive coordinator now. If Sparano thought he could beat out Hunter, I'd think he'd be here already.

Perhaps. Or maybe they first were just looking at a younger, higher-upside guy (Otah) who wouldn't require a larger or longer-term contract investment right away. If Otah passed his physical and was a bust for us there were no future repercussions other than losing out on 2013 draft pick number 220-ish. If so desired, even that could pretty easily be recovered by trading back a whopping 1 slot in round 3, or 3 slots in round 4, a half dozen slots in round 5, etc.

Truth is no one knows what Carey's demands are and that might be a factor in teams showing little interest in him. Sometimes guys like Carey are better off money-wise waiting it out and hoping for a gaping hole somewhere due to a horrible camp or injury by a presumptive starter, and figure they could get a low-dollar, 1-year deal at any time so there's no rush.

Truth is no one knows what Carey's demands are and that might be a factor in teams showing little interest in him. Sometimes guys like Carey are better off money-wise waiting it out and hoping for a gaping hole somewhere due to a horrible camp or injury by a presumptive starter, and figure they could get a low-dollar, 1-year deal at any time so there's no rush.

this is a grass is always greener situation. Vernon Carey sucks. If he didn't suck, he'd be employed right now. Wayne Hunter is in fact better than Vernon Carey.

update

Panthers terminate contract of almost-Jet Otah

Jets Blog

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 4:24 PM, August 2, 2012

Posted: 3:00 PM, August 2, 2012

Tweet

Moreicon_print.gif Print

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — The Jeff Otah era is over in Carolina.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney announced the team had terminated the contract of the offensive tackle, a former first-round draft pick, after he failed a physical.

“Anytime you let go of a player as talented as Jeff is, it’s a hard decision,” Hurney said Thursday. “In talking to him and going through the last couple of days, he just doesn’t feel like he’s gotten over the injuries of the past two seasons. And he doesn’t know when he’ll be ready. So we just thought it was a decision that was best for both sides to move forward.”

Otah’s agent, Jonathan Feinsod, said his client is “one thousand percent” committed to playing again this season and has no plans to retire.

Feinsod said Otah plans to attend LeCharles Bentley’s Offensive Line Academy in Cleveland to continue to strengthen this knee and work on his conditioning so he can continue playing.

“He’s not currently ready to play today, but he will be there in the future,” Feinsod said.

Carolina dealt Otah to the New York Jets on July 23 for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2013, but the trade was rescinded after Otah failed a physical, and he reverted back to the Panthers roster.

The Panthers selected the 6-foot-6, 340-pound Otah with the 19th pick in the 2008 NFL draft and he played well his first two seasons with the team. However, Otah developed knee problems beginning in 2009 and had surgery on his meniscus. He’s missed 31 of the last 35 games due to injury, finishing the last three seasons on injured reserve.

Hurney said the Panthers feel like they have good depth at right tackle, the position Otah once manned.

Byron Bell, who started 12 games last year, is expected to start at right tackle but will be pushed by Garry Williams and Bruce Campbell.

“We feel like we’ve got some good young players there and our depth is pretty good there,” Hurney said. “That plays into the decision.”

The Panthers also announced the signed cornerback Nate Ness. The 6-foot, 193-pound Ness entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with Cleveland in 2009 and has spent time with Miami, Seattle, the New York Giants and St. Louis

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/panthers_terminate_contract_of_almost_Lpqr9rG0c71apKEwqttWEJ#ixzz22QIM8T9a

Perhaps. Or maybe they first were just looking at a younger, higher-upside guy (Otah) who wouldn't require a larger or longer-term contract investment right away. If Otah passed his physical and was a bust for us there were no future repercussions other than losing out on 2013 draft pick number 220-ish. If so desired, even that could pretty easily be recovered by trading back a whopping 1 slot in round 3, or 3 slots in round 4, a half dozen slots in round 5, etc.

I've seen less gape in German shyster flick's then what we're working with at RT, Im praying we get somebody in camp soon. I can't stand this overwhelming sense of dread I feel thinking of Wayne Hunter starting another 16 games at tackle

Archived