What do you need to see vs. Bengals on Friday?

T0mShane

I really can't wait for this offseason to be over, and I'm abnormally excited for Friday. With that, here's what I want to see.

1. How they use Coples and Maybin: I want to see them in the 4-3 almost exclusively, and I don't want to see them wasted bouncing inside in the 3-4. The only knock you could possibly have against Rex's scheme is that it might lack the flexibility to incorporate the Osi Umenyiora-type pass rusher, who might not be a 300 lb. beast. If Coples and Maybin are allowed to rush from the outside, it could elevate the entire team. If Rex is stubborn and treats them as if they're Mike Devito, the defense will still be great, but maybe not as great.

2. What Stephen Hill has learned from Cro and Revis: I'm anxious to see if Hill will flourish when he gets the chance to run against a non-elite corner, or if his confidence is shot altogether. I think they'll go deep to Hill a couple times on Friday, especially Tebow, so we'll see what he can so pretty quickly.

I really can't wait for this offseason to be over, and I'm abnormally excited for Friday. With that, here's what I want to see.

1. How they use Coples and Maybin: I want to see them in the 4-3 almost exclusively, and I don't want to see them wasted bouncing inside in the 3-4. The only knock you could possibly have against Rex's scheme is that it might lack the flexibility to incorporate the Osi Umenyiora-type pass rusher, who might not be a 300 lb. beast. If Coples and Maybin are allowed to rush from the outside, it could elevate the entire team. If Rex is stubborn and treats them as if they're Mike Devito, the defense will still be great, but maybe not as great.

2. What Stephen Hill has learned from Cro and Revis: I'm anxious to see if Hill will flourish when he gets the chance to run against a non-elite corner, or if his confidence is shot altogether. I think they'll go deep to Hill a couple times on Friday, especially Tebow, so we'll see what he can so pretty quickly.

1. Where is this coming from? I recall Suggs doing ok in Rex's defense. I think Coples and Maybin will be sent inside occasionally to keep offenses guessing but I doubt we'll see Maybin lined up over guard.

2. Agreed.

I really looking forward to seeing both the O line, and the RB's. I believe that Sanchez rises to the occasion this season and if the O line can be a solid unit he's fine. I am more concerned with our stable of RB's this season than anything. Especially with all the ground and pound talk. It would be a real treat to see Powell start to rise from the ashes a little bit.

Sanchez looking like a franchise QB going into his 4th year as a starter. Not elite but able to move the chains and protect the ball.

Tebow the QB: A reasonable # 2 with a little bit extra cause of his ability to run.

Tebow the RB: like to see him in designed runs and see the effect of the weight and muscle gain allow him to push the pile. Allla Brandon Jacobs

Joe McNight: Catching the ball out of the back field and running the ball like a guy who BELIEVES he's a #1 back in this league.

The Rookies: Just guys that wanna ball and they have been learning in camp.

The defense: I expect nothing less than a defense that looks top 3. Nothing less.

1. Where is this coming from? I recall Suggs doing ok in Rex's defense. I think Coples and Maybin will be sent inside occasionally to keep offenses guessing but I doubt we'll see Maybin lined up over guard.

Suggs has about 40 pounds on Maybin.

I don't think we are going to see a whole heck of alot from Sanchez and the Offense because my guess is that is that they are in for 1 maybe 2 series at the most. I do though want to see

1) How Hill does and if they are going to use him as a deep threat or are they going to use him short.

2) Hunter: Hopefully if he is in there with the starters he has improved his pass blocking

3) Sanchez: Are his passes accurate instead of behind, high, low.

1) The starting OL holding its own, especially in run blocking.

2) The rotation/competition of Vlad, Raff, etc at the backup OL spots

3) Chaz/Hill and Kerley/Wright for the 2nd and 3rd wr spots

4) Bilal Powell vs McKnight for 3rd down RB

Beyond that, I want to see an all around more physical and disciplined team. I want to see us coming out in attack mode on both sides, and not seem like anyone out there is flat-footed or scared. Being its still the preseason, I do not expect to see much of anything in the way of game plans, or how certain players/packages are being used. We probably won't be able to get a feel of that for the 2 possessions or so the starters play in the first preseason game.

I want to see the rookies perform well. I want to see Hill get separation and open up the field for some underneath stuff to Holmes and Kerley. If we complete a deep ball to Hill then that'd be even better.

Coples and Wilkerson generating a decent pass rush.

Sanchez protecting the ball. That's all I ask from him.

I dont "need" to see anything Friday. Its the first preseason game and I'm not putting a lot of stock into anyone's performance.

I'm interested in seeing the young bucks, not just the rookies, but guys like Powell, McKnight, Vlad, Maybin, Ellis, etc. Players we expect to take the next step this season.

For friday night's game it would be nice to see Powell run like a RB with a desire to play, Sanchez play a controlled smart game for the couple of series that he's in there.

Watching Hunter improve his gameplay would be nice too, a full off-season should have helped his game a bit.

I really looking forward to seeing both the O line, and the RB's. I believe that Sanchez rises to the occasion this season and if the O line can be a solid unit he's fine. I am more concerned with our stable of RB's this season than anything. Especially with all the ground and pound talk. It would be a real treat to see Powell start to rise from the ashes a little bit.

This is what I'm interested in as well. I'm not worried about the defense, and I expect a lot of vanilla on that side of the ball in particular. I don't want Rex showing off what they can do.

But on offense, I expect to see them lining up to run the football, and I want to see who does it best. I want the winner of McKnight vs. Powell to go on to battle Greene for playing time - and win. So I'm very excited to see what goes on there. I want to see Vlad between Mangold and Brick, too, see how that looks.

This is what I'm interested in as well. I'm not worried about the defense, and I expect a lot of vanilla on that side of the ball in particular. I don't want Rex showing off what they can do.

But on offense, I expect to see them lining up to run the football, and I want to see who does it best. I want the winner of McKnight vs. Powell to go on to battle Greene for playing time - and win. So I'm very excited to see what goes on there. I want to see Vlad between Mangold and Brick, too, see how that looks.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just want to see one on one matchups for Coples, Maybin, Ellis etc. No schemes. Let's just see what they have man to man. It will be good work for them as well.

As far as the RBs, I agree as well. I am secretly, ( or publicly) rooting for Powell to emerge as our X factor who no one even considered as a positive. I like Mcnight as a KR, but for some reason to not have faith in him as a RB. It's unfounded really, but its a feeling I have.

As far as the RBs, I agree as well. I am secretly, ( or publicly) rooting for Powell to emerge as our X factor who no one even considered as a positive. I like Mcnight as a KR, but for some reason to not have faith in him as a RB. It's unfounded really, but its a feeling I have.

I feel like both guys got written off prematurely here, and that tends to get my root for the underdog up.

You have to love McKnight's speed, but I have to admit that I'm not seeing a lot else from him at RB. There's very little wiggle there. Rex has talked GM up as a potential CB, but I'd like to see him get reps lined up at WR.

Powell is definitely the x-factor guy. I love hearing that he's catching a lot of passes in camp - something that Greene doesn't do well. Greene is almost certainly gone next year, and I'll be very pleased if they find a starting caliber RB in Powell before he goes.

I feel like both guys got written off prematurely here, and that tends to get my root for the underdog up.

You have to love McKnight's speed, but I have to admit that I'm not seeing a lot else from him at RB. There's very little wiggle there. Rex has talked GM up as a potential CB, but I'd like to see him get reps lined up at WR.

Powell is definitely the x-factor guy. I love hearing that he's catching a lot of passes in camp - something that Greene doesn't do well. Greene is almost certainly gone next year, and I'll be very pleased if they find a starting caliber RB in Powell before he goes.

If we're hoping for someone to step up a notch, it should be Greene, to the next level.

Wouldn't that be the best possible scenario? To have our workhorse back already be on the roster? Powell was a 4th rd pick man. Picked before Kerley even. I have high hopes for him and like you, am happy to hear about him potentially emerging as a pass catching option. LT had some impact in that role and was a nice fall back for Sanchez, It would be good to have that here this season. As far as Greene. This is his contract year and should be playing his balls off. That's good for us too. Unfortunately I see him coming up short and agree that he will be gone at the end of the year.

Mcnight has a role here as a KR and if he can even show some minor ability to fill in as decent backup he's worth keeping and will most likely be inexpensive.

Of course, I would love to see Mcnight rise to the occasion too and have all three guys be able to have an impact this season, I just have a hard time believing in all of that taking place. Especially if Hunter and our LG position don't improve. F*ckin Vlad.....

If we're hoping for someone to step up a notch, it should be Greene, to the next level.

That would be completely out of the blue. There's been no suggestion anywhere that Greene is doing anything special in camp this year. I think the guy is what he is. For me, the best case scenario for the Jets would be to have the winner of McKnight/Powell take over LT's role from 2009. Carry most of the first half load, then have Shonn fresh to run over people in the second. That would be a maximization of talent.

That would be completely out of the blue. There's been no suggestion anywhere that Greene is doing anything special in camp this year. I think the guy is what he is. For me, the best case scenario for the Jets would be to have the winner of McKnight/Powell take over LT's role from 2009. Carry most of the first half load, then have Shonn fresh to run over people in the second. That would be a maximization of talent.

Sure, ideally, but there's also been no indication that JMK or Bilal are ready to be the primary guy. Lots of dudes have supposedly looked good in camp. Greene has at least been (or tried to be) the primary guy for an entire season, so unfortunately I view him as our best hope.

I'm pretty excited to take a look at Powell. Reports out of camp were that he's done more this summer than in his completely forgettable rookie season. I'd love for him to emerge as someone who can really split the carries with Greene, as I don't believe Greene is anything particularly special at RB. Solid, yes, but not special.

To me, in the first preseason game, its all about the guys up front. I dont think there will be many games going on in the trenches just some hard nosed football and if we can control that or even just have the advantage 2 weeks into camp i would be estatic. Seeing Mark march down the field in the first series would be great but I dont expect it. New offense, Oline missing most of practice this past week will be difficult. It will be an ugly game and if we stay true to form Shrek returns early (and I predict often) this year.

Archived