Percy Harvin for a ?

Lego My Lageman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvin is worth acquiring at a high price tag. He is a proven player, another high draft pick is not. It would make dumping Holmes eventually that much easier.

Are the Jets one player away from a Super Bowl Championship? Is that one player a WR? Because if you can't answer "yes" to both of those questions, then Harvin isn't worth it.

Right now, the Jets have a nice young group of WR potential. As currently constructed, it could very possibly be a strength of the team in 2013.

Meanwhile, the Jets are currently weak at OL, RB, and not so arguably QB, and next season LB will likely be a major concern with Pace, Thomas, and Scott all potentially gone. That third round pick and associated cap space will probably come in handy.

This is precisely the kind of move Tannenbaum needs to avoid.

Are the Jets one player away from a Super Bowl Championship? Is that one player a WR? Because if you can't answer "yes" to both of those questions, then Harvin isn't worth it.

Right now, the Jets have a nice young group of WR potential. As currently constructed, it could very possibly be a strength of the team in 2013.

Meanwhile, the Jets are currently weak at OL, RB, and not so arguably QB, and next season LB will likely be a major concern with Pace, Thomas, and Scott all potentially gone. That third round pick and associated cap space will probably come in handy.

He is an explosive player... a game changer. Our WR corp is not that good. He makes a big difference and is a significant upgrade that can make plays happen on his own. Is he the missing link? I don't think so. But does he get us closer to a championship? Absolutely. Do we have weaknesses elsewhere? Yes. But major upgrades at those holes aren't available. A major upgrade at WR is potentially available so we shouldn't sit on our hands and wait for something better at a different position. Cause it may or may not come... and possibly not any time soon.

He is an explosive player... a game changer. Our WR corp is not that good. He makes a big difference and is a significant upgrade that can make plays happen on his own. Is he the missing link? I don't think so. But does he get us closer to a championship? Absolutely. Do we have weaknesses elsewhere? Yes. But major upgrades at those holes aren't available. A major upgrade at WR is potentially available so we shouldn't sit on our hands and wait for something better at a different position. Cause it may or may not come... and possibly not any time soon.

I think Harvin is a terrific player, but the Jets need to stop throwing draft picks and free agent money at a single player. This is the reason the Jets have the holes they do and lack depth. Those holes currently exist because the Jets traded away too many picks and were tight against the cap. Making another move to trade away draft picks and max out their salary cap will only put them in same boat, or worse, next year.

If we were talking about a dominating RT here, I could see the argument. Given the Jets QB and WR situations right now, I don't see any way it makes sense to dump all those resources on Harvin - no matter how good he may be.

Agree with this for the most part...getting Harvin would push us further against the cap...and could hamper our pursuit of additional OL which I expect the Jets to look at once the rosters cuts are done...could get excited though if Harvin came here...very versatile...not only at WR but also out of the backfield...especially on third downs...

Does anyone know what his contract demands look like? Depending on how he would potentially look this season, I would not be against letting Dustin Keller go after this season, reallocate that money towards Harvin, and draft a TE this coming season. If Harvin is available, and could be gobbled up for a 4th rounder, we need to make this happen. Holmes, Harvin, Hill= fastest WR corp in football.

Meanwhile, the Jets are currently weak at OL

I disagree. 3 out of 5 starters were on the 2011 AFC Pro Bowl team. Yes they have 1 position that's a weakness. They also have the best interior lineman on the planet. that's like saying CB is a weakness because of Kyle Wilson.

I disagree. 3 out of 5 starters were on the 2011 AFC Pro Bowl team. Yes they have 1 position that's a weakness. They also have the best interior lineman on the planet. that's like saying CB is a weakness because of Kyle Wilson.

It's hard to be a running team when your right tackle isn't any good. Woody was a huge part of the offenses success in 2009-10.

Is our QB Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Manning, Stafford, or Rivers? Then no, it doesn't.

One at a time.

Brady doesn't put up half the numbers he does without his receivers ..hence why I say add another blue chip to the JETS, (fact is, Brady is so one dimensional it boggles my mind he gets the kudos he does)

and you could make a Brady out of Sanchez.. its a two way street.

Rivers doesn't belong

Rodgers and Brees are the exception, more with Rodgers as he is more mobile.

Manning 1 is was and is very receiver dependent..

Manning 2 is, and in spite of his SB wins, he still isn't his brother.

Stafford is, also.

Without Jerry Rice, Montana isn't near the record holder he is now.

One at a time.

Brady doesn't put up half the numbers he does without his receivers ..hence why I say add another blue chip to the JETS, (fact is, Brady is so one dimensional it boggles my mind he gets the kudos he does)

and you could make a Brady out of Sanchez.. its a two way street.

Rivers doesn't belong

Rodgers and Brees are the exception, more with Rodgers as he is more mobile.

Manning 1 is was and is very receiver dependent..

Manning 2 is, and in spite of his SB wins, he still isn't his brother.

Stafford is, also.

Without Jerry Rice, Montana isn't near the record holder he is now.

LOL.

What receivers has Brady "depended" on over the year? Deion Branch? Troy Brown? Those are the guys he won championships with, and they're JAGs. Yes, he's had Randy Moss and Gronk, but in between, he's relied on Welker and a bunch of nobodies.

Peyton Manning has NEVER been receiver-dependent. He's operated with the likes of Brandon Stokely and Pierre Garcon, JAGs themselves, just fine. Reggie Wayne was never the receiver Marvin Harrison was, and in Peyton's last healthy year in Indy, he willed them to another division title with nearly all his receivers injured.

Eli Manning had Hakeem Nicks banged up and "relied" on undrafted free agent Victor Cruz en route to his 2nd super bowl.

Stafford I'll give you. He wouldn't be the same guy if he didn't have Megatron doing what he does. I'd say the only WR's in NFL history who made their QB's (no matter WHO they were) significantly better were Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald. End of list.

QB's make the WR's look good FAR more often than the other way around. For evidence of that, look at the list of top receivers in the game and compare how many SB rings they have compared to the top QB's. Its not even close. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald all have ZERO rings. Greg Jennings has his because he's paired with Aaron Rodgers.

You could give Sanchez the best WR corps in the league and he wouldn't enter the company of anyone on that list.

Not sure Tebow and Harvin are a good combo in the locker room. Harvin was a pissy bitch that resented Tebows hype. He was a major ass at UF and in my opinion is a big payday away from becoming Santonio JOHN Holmes 2.0

LOL.

What receivers has Brady "depended" on over the year? Deion Branch? Troy Brown? Those are the guys he won championships with, and they're JAGs. Yes, he's had Randy Moss and Gronk, but in between, he's relied on Welker and a bunch of nobodies.

Peyton Manning has NEVER been receiver-dependent. He's operated with the likes of Brandon Stokely and Pierre Garcon, JAGs themselves, just fine. Reggie Wayne was never the receiver Marvin Harrison was, and in Peyton's last healthy year in Indy, he willed them to another division title with nearly all his receivers injured.

Eli Manning had Hakeem Nicks banged up and "relied" on undrafted free agent Victor Cruz en route to his 2nd super bowl.

Stafford I'll give you. He wouldn't be the same guy if he didn't have Megatron doing what he does. I'd say the only WR's in NFL history who made their QB's (no matter WHO they were) significantly better were Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald. End of list.

QB's make the WR's look good FAR more often than the other way around. For evidence of that, look at the list of top receivers in the game and compare how many SB rings they have compared to the top QB's. Its not even close. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald all have ZERO rings. Greg Jennings has his because he's paired with Aaron Rodgers.

You could give Sanchez the best WR corps in the league and he wouldn't enter the company of anyone on that list.

Everyone has an opinion..

You seem to have a very high bar when it comes to passer/rec'r combos, based on your *list*...

Whereas, I recall Peyton not getting it done *until* he had talent..sure he was able to capitalize on his experience

when he had crap to throw to, but again.. Tell me how many "good QB's" got that way throwing to crap ?

You maintain

"QB's make the WR's look good FAR more often than the other way around." whereas, I maintain without decent receivers you never

know.

You maintain

"QB's make the WR's look good FAR more often than the other way around." whereas, I maintain without decent receivers you never

know.

Oh, so now its DECENT receivers that a QB needs to succeed? Well sh**, Mark has had DECENT receivers ever since he's arrived. Braylon, Tone, Keller, Cotchery.....those guys were pretty much the definition of a DECENT receiving corps.

Archived