Sanchez Helmet to Helmet Hit

sh4dy15

After watching that hit again, it really looked BRUTAL! That had to really hurt!

Can someone explain to me how Sanchez can get hit so hard like that with a helmet full force and then just get up and continue playing yet Revis gets tapped (ok maybe exaggerating, but it almost looked like nothing) by Bart Scotts foot and is out all week with a concussion?!

Not that I am hoping for this because its dangerous but something tells me Sanchez could have gotten a concussion there as well and left the game after that. To be honest, he was not the same after that hit. I am not blaming his play on that at all, especially since I don't think he played that bad in the first place, but just sayin' man that hit was pretty bad!

And just to clarify here, I am NOT at all criticizing Revis, head injuries are serious. I am just wondering how that can cause a concussion yet the Sanchez hit doesn't. It just seems strange.

I think the real question is how seriously he was injured. He was rolling before the hit and looked like he was seeing double afterward.

Not sure if your joking or not but it is a little strange haha He was on fire before and I really think it might have shook him up.

Revis' head could have hit the ground after being kicked, he may not have had his mouthpiece in properly, maybe he's had concussions before that he doesn't know about that makes this one easier to get etc. Bottom line is that Sanchez's hit didn't cause a concussion and Revis' did. There's honestly no other explanation than they are two different individuals that underwent two different blows to the head.

Not sure if your joking or not but it is a little strange haha He was on fire before and I really think it might have shook him up.

Dead serious. I'm not one to make excuses for Sanchez (and in all fairness, I missed most of the 3rd quarter), but he certainly looked like a different guy after that shot. Could be purely coincidental--five consecutive quarters of Good Sanchez was probably more than any of us could have hoped for--but still.

I told my son after that hit that Sanchez had to be concussed. His play deteriorated dramatically after that brutal shot. i think looking over his shoulder at Tebow made him keep going when his bell had obviously been loudly rung. He gives up snaps, he risks his job. He misses a game, ala Revis, and suddenly Tebowmania is a very real threat. Kudos for having the nads to get back up, but as a QB, he had to be hampered ny the little yellow birdies circling his head.

Revis' head could have hit the ground after being kicked, he may not have had his mouthpiece in properly, maybe he's had concussions before that he doesn't know about that makes this one easier to get etc. Bottom line is that Sanchez's hit didn't cause a concussion and Revis' did. There's honestly no other explanation than they are two different individuals that underwent two different blows to the head.

That makes sense! I am sure all of that could have played a role but wow the difference in how those hits looked was crazy. Sanchez could have been knocked out from that hit but somehow gets up and keeps playing.

Do you know if they will test after the fact or does it have to be immediately after and with player consent?

I told my son after that hit that Sanchez had to be concussed. His play deteriorated dramatically after that brutal shot. i think looking over his shoulder at Tebow made him keep going when his bell had obviously been loudly rung. He gives up snaps, he risks his job. He misses a game, ala Revis, and suddenly Tebowmania is a very real threat. Kudos for having the nads to get back up, but as a QB, he had to be hampered ny the little yellow birdies circling his head.

I was thinking the same thing man and that really sucks but that is sports for you! I can't blame him. All of a sudden he goes out because of a concussion and Tebow has a chance to take his job? Hell no, he's a competitor but that comes with risks.

Hopefully he gets to rest a little and recover and gets back on track next week.

I was listening to the gamecast on ESPN and the commentators were talking about how hard he had been hit, I didn't realise it was helmet to helmet until I watched the replay, but man, he's a tough guy for getting up after taking that sort of blow. Hopefully he hasn't gotten a concussion. But what happened to Greene? He exited, came back, then left again? Commentators said he may have been concussed? Powell looked better anyway to be honest...

I sincerely hope they baseline tested him after that play, but seeing as how the drive kept going I doubt it happened. He certainly played like he was in a fog. Wasnt going through his reads, throws way off at some points...he very well could have been concussed

I think the real question is how seriously he was injured. He was rolling before the hit and looked like he was seeing double afterward.

I was thinking about this as well. The first drive looked like week one then it was nothing. Sure a lot of passes were dropped but he did not look comfortable.

Sounds like this post is full of people that don't know what the hell they are talking about and never engaged in hard hitting activities. Anyone who has been hit in the head knows full well how it feels and everyone around them can easily spot if they are in wonderland.

Face it, if Sanchez's play dropped because of that hit its because he got scared not because of this groups false idea of a concussion.

He completed 3 passes in the game prior to that. People are now making it sound like he was on fire for his first 15 attempts.

It may have affected him and it may not have, heavy hit that it was. But you can't take that hit as evidence for poor throws he made and then say it didn't affect him on good ones he made. Guys don't drop passes in their hands or chest unless the pass hits their hands or chest.

He may very well have been a little shaken up for a few plays right after that, which is understandable, but it didn't last the whole game. After that second drive he made some good throws and an equal amount of bad (or not good) ones, which is exactly consistent with the player he's been to date.

Unless the goal is to say everything is not his fault again, by blaming an early Timmons hit, or a Jets receiver's drop, for every single incomplete pass.

Sounds like this post is full of people that don't know what the hell they are talking about and never engaged in hard hitting activities. Anyone who has been hit in the head knows full well how it feels and everyone around them can easily spot if they are in wonderland.

Face it, if Sanchez's play dropped because of that hit its because he got scared not because of this groups false idea of a concussion.

This post is ridiculous. I was involved in a similar situation where I got hit in the head during a game. I felt a little foggy didnt think much of it and tried to shake it off. Still felt foggy for most of the game and actully didnt remember much about the game either when discussing with teammates during the week. You dont need to have a full blown concussion to be effected by a hit like that which seemed pretty freakin brutal from what I saw.

He completed 3 passes in the game prior to that. People are now making it sound like he was on fire for his first 15 attempts.

It may have affected him and it may not have, heavy hit that it was. But you can't take that hit as evidence for poor throws he made and then say it didn't affect him on good ones he made. Guys don't drop passes in their hands or chest unless the pass hits their hands or chest.

He may have been a little shaken up for a few plays right after that, which is understandable, but it didn't last the whole game. After that second drive he made some good throws and an equal amount of bad (or not good) ones, which is exactly consistent with the player he's been to date.

NO he was 4 of 5 for 80 yards and a TD on his first drive. Your never going to take Sanchez side in any situation no matter what and it starting to become obvious. Nice you decided to leave out numerous drops and pointed out some bad passes. Funny how the Steelers WR and TE's were making insanely tough catches all over the field because yeah QB's do make errant throws from time to time. To bad Santonio Holmes cant go up and bail out his QB once in a while, if the ball does not hit him near a sideline or between the 1 and the 0 forget about a reception.

After watching that hit again, it really looked BRUTAL! That had to really hurt!

Can someone explain to me how Sanchez can get hit so hard like that with a helmet full force and then just get up and continue playing yet Revis gets tapped (ok maybe exaggerating, but it almost looked like nothing) by Bart Scotts foot and is out all week with a concussion?!

Not that I am hoping for this because its dangerous but something tells me Sanchez could have gotten a concussion there as well and left the game after that. To be honest, he was not the same after that hit. I am not blaming his play on that at all, especially since I don't think he played that bad in the first place, but just sayin' man that hit was pretty bad!

And just to clarify here, I am NOT at all criticizing Revis, head injuries are serious. I am just wondering how that can cause a concussion yet the Sanchez hit doesn't. It just seems strange.

Concussions are funny things, such that even doctors aren't sure why something simple like a kick to a helmeted head could cause a serious injury. I cannot for a second knock Revis nor the Jets' doctors. I'm sure everyone and Revis hismelf wanted him to play. While the hit may have caused Sanchez to be gunshy, the jets would not let him on the field if they thoguth he had a concussion. Which is why Greene didn't get back into the game until the doctors were satisfied he wasn't concussed.

I'm not blaming this for his play or making up a crazy excuse, I'm just saying that hit was really bad and those saying otherwise should go back and watch it again.

Its definitely possible he was in a fog the rest of the game and can't imagine the headache he must have had. It may explain some errant throws it may not but hopefully he gets back on track.

there were 2 Sanchez' yesterday, pre hit and post hit. As for the original question all concussions or blows to the head are different. It might be the next graze of the helmet that gives him the concussion. He might be fine. Science really doesn't know everything about the human brain. either way I definitely think it affected him.

And geeting timid after a hit is very real too. That can happen without a concussion, it's a form of a defense mechanism for some people, others not so.

Unfortunately that reaction doesn't jive well during a football game, an MMA fight, or real time combat. There is a reason they call Marines Jarheads and why a linebackers skull looks like a a block.

Actually, it is really simple.

Our brains are made of a cottage cheese type of consistency..you could push your finger right through it.

They are encased in water, and surrounded by a thin sac-like material and another heavier layer...the pia mater and the dura mater..and then between the bone of our skulls and the dura mater is a web of blood vessels and connective type tissue called the arachnoid space.

If you pop someone on the jaw, and it swings their head rigorously, it won't probably cause the brain to bounce out of its locale into the

bone wall of your skull.. HOWEVER, if you kick someone in the head, or similar...The jarring motion actually makes the brain inside *bounce* against the wall of the cranium..and the blood vessels rupture and ooze blood into the water based fluid surrounding the brain.

Two different injuries, two different results.

If the kick is hard enough to cause the actual brain tissue to smack the wall of the cranium hard enough , it goes from concussion to closed head trauma/injury..

The basic problem is the cranium is a sealed system, and there is no place for a lot of quickly accumulating extra fluid/blood to go.. so, that *extra* fluid closes in against the brain, and the symptoms are noted in our neurological ability, as in slow responses, blurred or impaired vision, etc..

Hope that answers it for you.

there were 2 Sanchez' yesterday, pre hit and post hit. As for the original question all concussions or blows to the head are different. It might be the next graze of the helmet that gives him the concussion. He might be fine. Science really doesn't know everything about the human brain. either way I definitely think it affected him.

There are two Sanchezes every game. The one before the tiniest little thing goes the least bit wrong, and the one after.

Whatever you think of this, I find it funny Sanchez gets nailed in another helmet to helmet hit, and we're sitting here discussing it calmly. The Bucs had the balls to try to make a play when Eli took a knee and OMG THE ENDLESS BITCHING ABOUT HOW DIRTY IT WAS.

Meanwhile, Sanchez could actually be injured and nobody says a word. No bias there at all.

Whatever you think of this, I find it funny Sanchez gets nailed in another helmet to helmet hit, and we're sitting here discussing it calmly. The Bucs had the balls to try to make a play when Eli took a knee and OMG THE ENDLESS BITCHING ABOUT HOW DIRTY IT WAS.

Meanwhile, Sanchez could actually be injured and nobody says a word. No bias there at all.

He played like crap after that hit, I wonder if he would readily admit being hurt with Tebow waiting *in the wings*..

Everyone is built differently, honestly. What may not give one guy a concussion might give another a career ending one. It's just how it is.

I think the better question to ask is why can Sanchez be hit like that and it gets shrugged off, but if Brady or a Manning takes a shot under the chin like that it is a 2 week story and potentially a rule change, and if Ben takes a shot like that he is a warrior, etc, etc, etc.

Sanchez is a tough little fruitcake. One thing I noticed with that hit too, he didn't ham it up after like he's done in the past after getting popped. Send the right message to the opponent, body language and sh*t, ftw.

And geeting timid after a hit is very real too. That can happen without a concussion, it's a form of a defense mechanism for some people, others not so.

Unfortunately that reaction doesn't jive well during a football game, an MMA fight, or real time combat. There is a reason they call Marines Jarheads and why a linebackers skull looks like a a block.

Truth.

We see QBs come out in the draft year after year, getting picked high by crappy teams that are crappy because they can't protect the QB, they get under center and get pummeled and they never matriculate as a result. David Carr being my favorite example of this. Sanchez looked like a rookie in his first year, last year he looked shell shocked - and that is exactly how he looked in the last 3 quarters yesterday.

He doesn't suck. He's just the easiest QB in the league to rattle once he gets hit, moreso than Brady. Who is really easy to unwind if you hit him enough.

Even yesterday though, he hung in there better than in the past... ultimately the stalling offense came down to dropped passes, most of those throws were catches a gutsy WR corp makes, some were Holmes breaking off his ****ing routes because he's an idiot and others were due to Hill being bumped out of his routes routinely.

Passing games are all about timing. If you have a rookie being pushed out of his route, and an arrogant POS veteran breaking his damn routes just because, then you have no timing.

He played like crap after that hit, I wonder if he would readily admit being hurt with Tebow waiting *in the wings*..

he should have been baseline tested after the hit, the fact that Rex doesn't know if the testing took place is troubling....same thing happened to Colt McCoy last year.

he should have been baseline tested after the hit, the fact that Rex doesn't know if the testing took place is troubling....same thing happened to Colt McCoy last year.

I sort of agree, they actually run the baseline test before the season, if I understand how they are doing it..

Then , if he can't pass the same test with a similar result, after a hit of a significant nature, it is considered a concussion (that affects performance and presents a danger) although he might have a mild concussion visible on a scan (if done) it still may be mild enough not to affect performance or judgement.

Just the use of the word baseline skews it is all..

I sort of agree, they actually run the baseline test before the season, if I understand how they are doing it..

Then , if he can't pass the same test with a similar result, after a hit of a significant nature, it is considered a concussion (that affects performance and presents a danger) although he might have a mild concussion visible on a scan (if done) it still may be mild enough not to affect performance or judgement.

Just the use of the word baseline skews it is all..

should have said tested vs the baseline, I apologize

He should never want to come out of the game regardless of who's behind him on the depth chart.

Conversely, the Jets' supposedly upgraded their backup QB situation, and should be quick to pull Sanchez out of the game -at least for a couple plays- just to talk to him on the sideline and see where his head is at after a hit like that.

Archived