Sweet Shonn Greene Stat from PFF

T0mShane

He's also been hurt. I think McKnight has had hamstring injuries all year and was listed as probable due to illness this week. I am praying that is what has kept him off the field.

Give the guy a chance to learn a few plays. Has he been here a week yet?

You know you're really doing your best to help us enjoy football again. It's not cool dude.

I mean personally, you start Powell as your #1, McKnight is your 3rd down back and Greene comes in on short yardage or, god forbid, when the opposing defense looks tired or is on the field too long.

This must just be too obvious. Other teams would be expecting the Jets to use their backs effectively, so they're throwing them the ol' curveball.

Yep, that's Schitty logic.

Greenes 10 yard explosion the other night felt like Bo Jackson ripping through Seattle for a 99 yard run.

Can't believe he looks this bad during a contract year. The lady friend, who knows about as much football as JiF, has sighed every time Greene gets the ball. She wonders aloud why he doesn't do anything but run into the linemans backs. I can't say anything to counter her.

Greenes 10 yard explosion the other night felt like Bo Jackson ripping through Seattle for a 99 yard run.

Can't believe he looks this bad during a contract year. The lady friend, who knows about as much football as JiF, has sighed every time Greene gets the ball. She wonders aloud why he doesn't do anything but run into the linemans backs. I can't say anything to counter her.

best described as ... two steps and a thud

That 22 film study was just the nail on the coffin because it highlighted what we thought and pretty much cleared the Oline of wrongdoing. The line is making holes, but Greene can't find them because he's so committed to running into the back of blockers.

October 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Rex Ryan says he still has full confidence in struggling Jets' running back Shonn Greene

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan believes that Shonn Greene is the still the guy to lead the Jets out of their ground-and-pound funk this season. Gang Green’s typically sound rushing attack ranks 25th in the league (83 yards per game) through the first five games. Only two teams have averaged fewer than the Jets’ 3.2 yards per carry.

Ryan thinks that Greene, who has averaged 2.9 yards per carry, is still the right man for the job.

“Have I lost confidence in Shonn Greene? The answer is no,” Rex Ryan said on Thursday. “I think we keep giving him the ball. He’s working extremely hard. I just think it’s a matter of time before he really starts popping. We all know once he gets rolling, the whole team is lifted when your big back is running.”

Ryan maintained that he hasn’t sensed any additional frustration from his tailback. Greene has averaged 15 carries and 43.4 rushing yards and has only scored once this season. His longest rush has been for 14 yards.

“I don’t sense it,” Ryan said. “I see him really working… like he’s wanting it. That’s the feeling I get… that he’s wanting that ball under his arm. I don’t think he’s lost any confidence whatsoever. I just think he’s really trying to get rolling.”

“Hopefully, we get him rolling this week,” Ryan added. “I believe with the way we’re working, I believe we’re going to get better.”

Second-year running back Bilal Powell has received more snaps in each of the past two games. His role as the third-down back isn’t likely to change. Greene will remain the starter.

“I think Powell has really earned the right to play some,” Ryan said. “I don’t think there’s any doubt about that. He’s been absolutely tremendous in pass protection. He’s shown some ability to run. In an ideal world, you have two or three guys that you feel really good about.”

The Jets haven’t tried anything new in practice this week to jump-start the sluggish running game.

“There’s no magic scheme to try to run… to get it going,” Ryan said. “We just got to block. We got to open things up and get some running room. That’s the main thing.”

“I know there’s a lot of criticism that’s directed at Shonn specifically,” Ryan said. “Whoever’s your running back, we got to create some running room. That’s the big thing. That’s what we’re working on. I know we’re working on it and I think we’ll see improvements.”

Ryan said that Tony Sparano and offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo have used a few more “gap runs” that former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Bill Callahan, but the calls are “very similar.”

“It’s still about getting movement and it’s about widening the hole if we can and get our guy to get to the second level,” Ryan said.

Ryan denied that the Jets’ left guard rotation with Matt Slauson and Vlad Ducasse has disrupted the chemistry along the line. Gang Green uses seven offensive linemen, including Jason Smith as a jumbo tight end, as part of their rotation.

“These seven guys make up that unit,” Ryan said. “They have to know each other. You’re not going to know anything about each other if you don’t play with the guys. So I think this is an opportunity… Vlad’s earned that right to play. It’s not a whole lot different than rotating a defensive lineman. To become comfortable, if you have to be in there with each other. And I think these guys are.”

Archived