McElchampionship

T0mShane

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying anything that most of you don't know already, but GMC has a pitiful arm. Pitiful.

He's quick, can scramble with some of the best of 'em, he has a high football IQ and of course: teh intangiblez. But his arm is bloody awful.

I have mixed feelings about this. True, anything long is an absolute moon-ball. His arm strength looked at least adequate on short to mid range passes. Good enough for a human parking place.

Not saying anything that most of you don't know already, but GMC has a pitiful arm. Pitiful.

He's quick, can scramble with some of the best of 'em, he has a high football IQ and of course: teh intangiblez. But his arm is bloody awful.

Thats all I needed to hear.

All joking aside - his arm didnt seem that bad. Sanchez seems to throw harder - yet I never see him complete anything but slants and he has no touch on his check down passes.

A lot of the draft measurables used do not translate to success at the quarterback position in the NFL. It's possible McElroy was downgraded because his numbers didn't pop off the charts and he played on a very talented offense in college. That does not mean he will not be a good NFL quarterback. Quarterbacking in the NFL is hard to measure with a 40 time and a long jump. Its about just as many things that can not be measured. Like timing, anticipation, toughness, leadership, and intelligence (which can be measured to a point). Again I'm not saying he will be good or not.

Oh stop it. Of course they do.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, UDFA, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st...etc. Of course they translate over. If you're landing a starting QB you're generally landing one in the first 3 rounds and even more so in the first. Of course it's possible to find one elsewhere, it's just not probable. The odds are against him, that's really the only point I was making.

Statistics generally don't get figured into scouting reports to the degree at which you're arguing here. The Colt Brennans and Kliff Kingsburys of the college world never get taken that seriously because their physical deficiencies are blatantly obvious. That's where scouting pretty much starts and then they take it from there. McElroy was drafted in the 6th because nothing physically popped out on tape in the sense of him turning in to a starter anywhere near the immediate future, notably his arm strength which is incredibly weak, particularly with driving the deep ball. The consensus on him was that you could groom him to be a decent backup and he could possibly even turn in to a decent starter somewhere along the line because of his experience and intelligence. Today's performance doesn't really offer up any real basis to shift the argument away from that or even further towards it simply because it's one game where he threw 7 passes. By most reports he hasn't been given a ton of opportunity in practices either. So at this point you're really just dealing with what we were dealing with before, the fact that we have no idea what we're dealing with and that the only information we have is what we had before.

Oh stop it. Of course they do.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/qb

6th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, UDFA, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st...etc. Of course they translate over. If you're landing a starting QB you're generally landing one in the first 3 rounds and even more so in the first. Of course it's possible to find one elsewhere, it's just not probable. The odds are against him, that's really the only point I was making.

Statistics generally don't get figured into scouting reports to the degree at which you're arguing here. The Colt Brennans and Kliff Kingsburys of the college world never get taken that seriously because their physical deficiencies are blatantly obvious. That's where scouting pretty much starts and then they take it from there. McElroy was drafted in the 6th because nothing physically popped out on tape in the sense of him turning in to a starter anywhere near the immediate future, notably his arm strength which is incredibly weak, particularly with driving the deep ball. The consensus on him was that you could groom him to be a decent backup and he could possibly even turn in to a decent starter somewhere along the line because of his experience and intelligence. Today's performance doesn't really offer up any real basis to shift the argument away from that or even further towards it simply because it's one game where he threw 7 passes. By most reports he hasn't been given a ton of opportunity in practices either. So at this point you're really just dealing with what we were dealing with before, the fact that we have no idea what we're dealing with and that the only information we have is what we had before.

We agree that odds are against him. But that doesn't mean its impossible - which was the only point I was trying to make.

On the real, we know he's not the long-term answer, but he has to start the rest of the season, then be the #2 next year and moving forward.

Can the Jets resist the temptation of making the same mistake the Bills did with Fitzpatrick? Remains to be seen.

But, the bottom line is that Mark Sanchez can never see the field again as a New York Jet. They need to bury that bone in the yard immediately.

I don't agree that Sanchez can never see the field again. Although I hope it doesn't happen the optimist in me won't write him off completed

Sanchez starts. No question.

Rex is crazy if he does that, just crazy.

I have said all along that Rex was not in danger of getting fired. If he goes back to Mark, I take that statement back.

We agree that odds are against him. But that doesn't mean its impossible - which was the only point I was trying to make.

Of course it's not impossible, it's just not probable. 7 passes thrown isn't nearly enough to make any sort of empirical observation beyond a stat line. A question was asked as to the concern, and that's what the concern is. 32 teams let him almost become a UDFA. That's certainly not just a random thing to brush off and not get factored in to projecting how he'll pan out.

At this point though, him being in means Sanchez is done, and for this year that's really all that matters because it means he won't be starting in 2013. The sad part of all of this is that if the improbable happens and McElroy were to actually shine, (or even just be a jag that doesn't turn the ball over), this will have been a season that was playoff salvageable.

At this point though, him being in means Sanchez is done, and for this year that's really all that matters because it means he won't be starting in 2013. The sad part of all of this is that if the improbable happens and McElroy were to actually shine, (or even just be a jag that doesn't turn the ball over), this will have been a season that was playoff salvageable.

This is the worst part about it. If the Jets made the move to anyone else when they should have you have a fighting chance against Miami and Seattle. Even if the move was Tebow. Tebows at least a bad enough thrower and string enough guy to where he doesnt turn it over the way Sanchez does. Clearly the team had enough of Sanchez. Their reactions on the field said everything today. How Rex didnt see that before I have no clue. If the Jets were 6-6 today they would have a realistic shot of making it. Whatever you want to call it from this organization it was bad. Bad coaching. Bad ownership. Bad management.

The sad part of all of this is that if the improbable happens and McElroy were to actually shine, (or even just be a jag that doesn't turn the ball over), this will have been a season that was playoff salvageable.

no

the sad part is if the QB situation was reasonable, we'd have to stop obsessing about it and face the fact the defense and special teams have really sucked all year.

And this is why the job Rex did this year is inexcusable and should cost him his position. Even if McElroy proves to be just a jag who doesn't turn the ball over, the season will have been wasted on Rex being too scared to do this when it was necessary. No owner should stand for this sh*t to be honest. Just a complete display of a combination of cowardice and incompetence that I've never seen before in coaching. This is sh*t that's maybe a smidgen above Petrino-type crap. Unless Woody's at the heart of it, which is entirely plausible.

Your last sentence is all anyone needs to see, this whole organization has been handcuffed by Woody since they brought Favre here, everything Tanny, and the coaching staff have ever done when it comes to the QB position has come straight from Woody IMO, today Rex rebelled, he figured **** it I'm going to lose my job if I don't, what's the worst that could happen, or the best? Save his job!

Just wondering why this is the mindset with McElroy? I mean, I obviousely am not saying he is the long term answer but why do so many of you seem so confident he absolutely is not? We havent seen anything from this guy one way or another. And dont say preseason because thats crap and means nothing, hes playing with 3rd stringers then. Just curious as to why nobody thinks this guy could actually have a chance at being something.

His arm is Pennington esque

BENCHING SANCHEZ DOESN'T MAKE THE TEAM BETTER, EXCEPT WHEN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS, AND THEN REX DESERVES CREDIT FOR BEING THE GREATEST VISIONARY OF THIS OR ANY GENERATION.

It makes the team's chances and attiude that much better. The players know. It has to be deflating as hell for the defense to play as well as they did today(admittedly against an inferior QB and offense spare Fitzgerald) to see Pick 6 shart himself again. Mcelroy may not be the long-term answer, but you have to find out. May be you get another bum, maybe you get a player. Until he plays you have no idea. This was LONG overdue.

Rex is no visionary. But he did FINALLY see that Sanchez was well on his way to costing him his job. Tannenbaum has to go, but Rex has to see if he can get to 8 or 9 wins a new GM can plausibly put some lipstick on the pig HC and kiss it for one more year. Suspect no one will say it, but Johnson can dump a GM, but he would prefer not to pay 2 coaches, one of whom, Rex Ryan, no longer goes to work at Florham Park in 2013.

Mac is a 7th rounder, a warranted 7th rounder rather than one that dropped because of off-the-field issues. His arm is also suspect.

But we all like sports stories about players that are given 1 shot and make the most of it. So everyone should hope that Mac makes the most of his once in a lifetime opportunity because, frankly, I don't think he'll get another chance anywhere if he blows this one.

Mac is a 7th rounder, a warranted 7th rounder rather than one that dropped because of off-the-field issues. His arm is also suspect.

But we all like sports stories about players that are given 1 shot and make the most of it. So everyone should hope that Mac makes the most of his once in a lifetime opportunity because, frankly, I don't think he'll get another chance anywhere if he blows this one.

The one thing the kid has is BALLS! It took BALLS to say what he said in the offseason, and then step back inside the doors of Flo Park, and not get spit out, but actually get a team pumped because he was taking the field, this don't mean he will be the next whom ever, but he got BALLS!

GMAC is 100x smarter than MS, his arm is not that much worse either. Also won a NC in college, MS won sh1t.

GMAC is 100x smarter than MS, his arm is not that much worse either. Also won a NC in college, MS won sh1t.

NC in college means absolutely dog sh*t from an NFL standpoint. Vince Young and D'Walrus Russell won NCs.

But I would hope Mac is much smarter than Sanchez because Sanchez makes incredibly stupid decisions on the field.

NC in college means absolutely dog sh*t from an NFL standpoint. Vince Young and D'Walrus Russell won NCs.

But I would hope Mac is much smarter than Sanchez because Sanchez makes incredibly stupid decisions on the field.

It takes talent to win a NC mon not saying he will be a great NFler, just that he is better than nacho

Everyone should hope? When did you throw on the stoicsentry cape? Who the **** isn't hoping that McElroy doesn't become Captain Awesome?

the problem is this is real life and what round your picked in doesnt matter. Sanchez was a top pick and didnt turn out so what does it matter. mac may not be great but whatever throw him into the ocean and see what happens. Maybe he will start to swim

Everyone should hope? When did you throw on the stoicsentry cape? Who the **** isn't hoping that McElroy doesn't become Captain Awesome?

The only thing dbate is hoping for is to add Mac to his collection of deposed QBs.

These QBs are just pelts to him.

Archived