Jets Reach Out to Colts Exec - Tom Telesco

jetscanes331

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Add another name to the Jets' general-manager search.

They received permission to interview Colts vice president of football operations Tom Telesco, sources confirmed, but the interview is on hold until he receives word from the Chargers. Telesco and Jimmy Raye are considered the frontrunners for the Chargers' GM vacancy.

Telesco has spent almost his entire career with the Colts, starting as a college and pro scout and spending six years as their director of player personnel. He survived last year's organization housecleaning and was named VP of football operations.

The Jets reached out to Telesco after concluding their meeting with the first round of candidates -- Falcons director of player personnel David Caldwell, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19963/jets-reach-out-to-colts-exec?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

While the Colts have been one of the more successful franchises in the last 15 years, I would not touch anyone from them with a 10 foot pole. Peyton was that team and now Luck will be. They had absolutely no depth. They've been carried by their two #1 draft pick QBs.

While the Colts have been one of the more successful franchises in the last 15 years, I would not touch anyone from them with a 10 foot pole. Peyton was that team and now Luck will be. They had absolutely no depth. They've been carried by their two #1 draft pick QBs.

True, however their draft this season was pretty spectacular.

The Colts model/philosophy kind of dictated where the league has gone. Pass the ball down the field, build a lead, and then let your pass rush loose.

This has to be one of the best years to be some director of scouting earning a promotion to GM.

Nobody really knows how much influence some of these guys had on drafting players, signing free agents.

If they were liked within the organization, nobody is going to come out and tell people, "well they just sat in the back of the office all day."

Maybe Gamble came highly recommended, but after being interviewed it's obvious that the guy wasn't really doing as much as people thought. Or he had no personality at all. And considering the way this years GM search has played out, teams are going to want an AJ Smith kind of personality in the public eye compared to somebody who hides behind closed doors. Maybe Gamble was more of the hide behind closed doors kind of guy. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not going to work for many GM jobs these days.

I dont understand what the Jets are doing. They wait a week to hold a pointless press conference. Get scrutinized by the media because they waited too long after the season ended to talk about it. Stupid rule to me, but still, why even put yourself in that situation if nothing new is going to be said anyway?

The entire Woody MIA and Rex vacation last week was just odd. So instead of starting the search for a new GM, new coaches, etc as soon as the season ended, they just figured they'd wait around until things settled? THey hire some strategy consulting firm to help with the GM search, but at this point some 19 year old intern from a community college could have done the same thing and for free. The publicize candidates they might be interviewing, as to tell every other team, hey take a crack at these guys before we do.

Obviously some candidates were never going to come here anyway. I just don't understand the circus mentality that they are going through to hire a GM. They haven't really interviewed that many people and it's going on two weeks. Other teams are promoting, hiring, or coming to final conclusions whereas the Jets seem to be stuck in the "we still don't know."

Or Woody and Rex and everybody in the Jets organization already know its going to be Scott as the cap guy, Rex as the defacto GM and the press and fans are being played. I hope that's not the case, but the longer this crap drags out, the more it looks like that's what it is.

The fact that he brought Notre Dame on the bring of a championship for the first time in 20 years will have some jet fans semi-orgasmic.

That and the rainbow marshmallows.

Well if Lucky Charms changes it;s slogan to "Blue hearts, pink moons and yellow bunions" Rex made the deal.

Everyone is stupid.

I am actually interested in this one.

Telesco spends OPM. Bitonti tells us that is no good and no one does it.

The Colts were somehow able to eat 38 mil in dead money this season AND were competitive. How did they do that? What kind of sorcery?

Answer-Anyone can draft Andrew Luck

Brother.......

OPM actually has been coming back into the scene. Iunno if you can spend it THO...

I like what the Colts did even beyond Luck.

I don't mind Telesco, the problem is, it's almost 95 percent certain the Chargers are hiring Telesco and the thought is

he's going to hire Bruce Airians as HC.

So the reality is, it's almost certain he's going to cancel his interview with the Jets.

Yeah, unless this guy will help us go 1-15 during a year when a once in a generation QB is coming out, I don't see the point

I don't mind Telesco, the problem is, it's almost 95 percent certain the Chargers are hiring Telesco and the thought is

he's going to hire Bruce Airians as HC.

So the reality is, it's almost certain he's going to cancel his interview with the Jets.

The jets may wind up leading the offseason in canceled interviews.

Archived