Would you make this deal for Revis?

nj meadowlands

I don't think it's a given that the Revis trade directly equates to a QB being acquired. It may be an indirect relationship.

I don't disagree. My problem with trading Revis to land a draft QB is now you just gave up an elite player on a roster that needs elite players for a maybe at QB that doesn't eat into paying Revis.

Both of those 2014 QBs are juniors with only two years starting experience btw. Both are being put on this ridiculous pedestal just based on how desperate people are for QBs.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets best served to keep Revis until  mid season trade deadline. See if he's back to allpro form. If yes, then either suck it up and sign him or trade him at his highest value. If he isnt back to allpro form then there are multiple options on table based on what his new skill level appears to be and if one thinks he will significantly improve in 2014.  

Jets best served to keep Revis until  mid season trade deadline. See if he's back to allpro form. If yes, then either suck it up and sign him or trade him at his highest value. If he isnt back to allpro form then there are multiple options on table based on what his new skill level appears to be and if one thinks he will significantly improve in 2014.  

If he's playing at all pro level in the middle of the season there is NO WAY he's going to sign and give up a chance at free agency. They need to trade him now.

If he's playing at all pro level in the middle of the season there is NO WAY he's going to sign and give up a chance at free agency. They need to trade him now.

You never know in this business. He may think "I could get hurt in 2nd half of season and then my value zip". My guess he isnt going to play lights out and Jets may have upper hand again. 

Its typical Jets luck that he got hurt or we could be dealing him as a AllPro now, not a 'lets hope he is allpro again'' guy

I'd take a whole mess of mid-rounders from this draft and snag SF's 1st rounder next season.

Let's the Niners unload a bunch of picks they won't need from this year, and gets us a 1st in a better QB year.

I'd do:

# 34

# 94

# 98

# 159

SF 1st rounder

Or something like that.

wouldn't their 2014 first be more like a second?

9ers get:  Darrelle Revis

Jets get:  49ers 1st round pick in 2013

Chiefs 2nd round pick in 2013 (from Smith deal)

49ers 3rd round pick in 2014

Mario Manningham

this is one of those deals that looks good now but when you look back 5 years from now it was a complete FLOP......as we probably will have drafted another Ducasse, terminator, and some other piece of crap with the picks we get Revis.

this is one of those deals that looks good now but when you look back 5 years from now it was a complete FLOP......as we probably will have drafted another Ducasse, terminator, and some other piece of crap with the picks we get Revis.

I'm generally in the "don't trade Revis" camp, but if your GM is scared of draft picks then you need a new GM.  Oh, wait, we have one.  What now?

And in 5 years Revis is probably on his 3rd hold out

Before he can run? We are sure to get the mother load!

If the Jets feel pressed to get the deal done beforre the draft they can get a second in this year's draft, basically for the rights to have exclusive rights to talk to Revis, and a conditional late 1 and 2 in next year’s draft.

Team will be able to find out if he can run, and if they can sign him before giving up the big stuff

I'm generally in the "don't trade Revis" camp, but if your GM is scared of draft picks then you need a new GM.  Oh, wait, we have one.  What now?

what now? watch Revis be traded for useless draft picks as our new GM is prepared to turn our team into a Farm League team....bc he's not scared

And in 5 years Revis is probably on his 3rd hold out

I take 5 years (ages 27-32 for Revis) of holdout free Revis every single time. 

Problem is that this draft class is very weak.

Just to make sure you're not just parroting, how is it weak once you get past not having an Andrew Luck in the draft? 

agree, 2014 picks

This, This, and THIS!!!!!

Screw the 2013 draft picks, for 2 reasons.

1. The top half of next years draft will bs littered with can't miss prospects, so having 2014 picks gives the Jets options to try, and get up to one of those picks if they decide to try, and hit a HR like Washington did trading for the 2nd pick last year.

2. Most likely the Jets will have a whole new coaching staff if this season is a bust, drafting players this year will be based on the coaching system now, and the new coaching staff might not run the same offensive, and defensive systems, and the 2013 picks might not fit the new systems, and could risk the chance that these players are playing out of position, give the new coaching staff the ammo to retool not the one on it's (possible) last leg.

If you are in the thinking Rex isn't getting fired no matter what disregard #2.

2014 can't miss!!

Don't you geniuses remember when Matt Barkley was a can't miss top pick?  When Manti T'eo was a sure ******* thing?  I'm sure that 2014 draft class will be insane.  It's not like any of those guys are underclassmen.  Johnny Football!  Wait until they measure that shrimp.  I'm sure it will probably be a better class than this one, but like Dino said, a bird in the hand is worth three in the phonebook. 

If Revis gets a ring with SF, all of those picks will be cold comfort. I don't think there's any deal the Jets can make where they end up better off.  

if and when we either lose him to free agency or overpay him we are going to get significantly worse and stunt the process of becoming contenders again

2014 can't miss!!

Don't you geniuses remember when Matt Barkley was a can't miss top pick?  When Manti T'eo was a sure ******* thing?  I'm sure that 2014 draft class will be insane.  It's not like any of those guys are underclassmen.  Johnny Football!  Wait until they measure that shrimp.  I'm sure it will probably be a better class than this one, but like Dino said, a bird in the hand is worth three in the phonebook. 

Then what you do is trade that pick for a 2015 first. JUST like the Patriots. 

The Jets put themselves in a terrible situation. They have to trade him now to make the best of it. They aren't getting a motherload for him, but they have to take what they can get and move on. 

Tf did you just make up? None of this is true, and if they don't get a motherload then **** off he's staying a Jet. 

if and when we either lose him to free agency or overpay him we are going to get significantly worse and stunt the process of becoming contenders again

I don't believe there's some long winding process to being a contender. it's all 1 year cycles. The Colts and Skins were awful last year, they are playoff teams this year. Knocking everything down, to rebuild for 3-5 years from now is a pipe dream. Live every week like it's shark week. 

I don't believe there's some long winding process to being a contender. it's all 1 year cycles. The Colts and Skins were awful last year, they are playoff teams this year. Knocking everything down, to rebuild for 3-5 years from now is a pipe dream. Live every week like it's shark week. 

That's all good and fun when you're the shark, but it's a f*cking bitch if you're the seal.

That's all good and fun when you're the shark, but it's a f*cking bitch if you're the seal.

Tom Brady's the shark isn't he? 

we spend all this time and energy focusing on how the Jets can get better and then Brady gives his team a ridiculously cap friendly extension, so they can spend money and win a Super Bowl in metlife stadium. 

The Jets put themselves in a terrible situation. They have to trade him now to make the best of it. They aren't getting a motherload for him, but they have to take what they can get and move on.

What the **** are you even talking about?  You are sitting here telling me that the Jets are in a terrible situation because he will play great in the first half?  They are in the driver's seat. You are just being a defeatest wuss.  They can sign him or they can trade him and they have him on the hook this year for a very reasonable price. 

Playoff teams?  Yes.  But they were no where near championship contenders.  And the goal is to win a championship, not to make the playoffs.  I couldn't care less if we make the playoffs.  Now, the thing they have, that we don't is that they got Pro Bowl QBs literally overnight - that doesn't happen every day.

there are andrew lucks and rg3s in every draft? Then you should be geno smith's biggest fan

<3 shark week tho

edit: also what guy above me said they have no chance of winning it all

who has cap room for revis ?

anyone ?

he's untradeable (cap hit), we can't let him walk (cap hit)

the jets have no leverage, they must extend him

this deal is waaaaay worse than sanchez' deal, or even harris'

well, I guess we can rely on him taking a fair deal so the jets can improve the team

Archived