Should we use our Top Pick for Offense or Defense? (Fun Debate Time ;) )

SouthernJet

I know there are some 'supposed' premium pass edge rushers available, but you know what Guys....

Last season, I sat through the worst Offensive display in maybe all my 53 years of watching NFL (AFL) football.  We BLOW!!!!!

So we still have a Top10ish Defense and are we now saying we want to lose 14-3 as opposed to 21-3?

We HAVE to fix maybe the worst POS Offense in League.

Maybe its one of the OL to help protect QB and aid Run game, or maybe its trading out of #9 to accumulate picks so we can get some Offensive guys in late 1st , and with added 2nds/3rds if we get them via trade.

I hear ya about pass rusher, but we arent a bad D and we are basically a laughing stock on O. We NEED to get more points on board. No matter how good your D is you still have to put up 13-21 points to have a shot on a weekly basis. 

I guess its six of one, but Man, I cant fathom not addressing our HORRIFIC O early in draft. Rex not calling shots, and I have a 'feeling' Idzik may feel same way as I do ;)

Don’t see to many O players in this draft that are worth a top 10 pick.  The few that are, will be gone.

Pass rusher all the way

Ya, a big boost to our Off. I think Idzik trades down IF we find a trading partner.

I see a lot of mocks with him going to Bills and Browns, not even making it to jets

I like Patterson but many folks have him pegged in teens/low 20s. I think we can get him by trading down, #9 may be too high.

I know there are some 'supposed' premium pass edge rushers available, but you know what Guys....

Last season, I sat through the worst Offensive display in maybe all my 53 years of watching NFL (AFL) football.  We BLOW!!!!!

So we still have a Top10ish Defense and are we now saying we want to lose 14-3 as opposed to 21-3?

We HAVE to fix maybe the worst POS Offense in League.

Maybe its one of the OL to help protect QB and aid Run game, or maybe its trading out of #9 to accumulate picks so we can get some Offensive guys in late 1st , and with added 2nds/3rds if we get them via trade.

I hear ya about pass rusher, but we arent a bad D and we are basically a laughing stock on O. We NEED to get more points on board. No matter how good your D is you still have to put up 13-21 points to have a shot on a weekly basis. 

I guess its six of one, but Man, I cant fathom not addressing our HORRIFIC O early in draft. Rex not calling shots, and I have a 'feeling' Idzik may feel same way as I do ;)

I agree that an impact player for the offense would be the way to go whether it is WR or RB.

The d line is good. Coples  may be the rusher they need.

Linebacker can be addressed with the 2nd and 3rd pick.

BTW, You are making too much sense with that line of thought. Prepare to be skewered.

drafting for need is a good way to get into trouble.i can just see herm and bradway discussing the fact that they need a kicker.then they draft one with thier first pick of the draft.hey, they needed a kicker!!! best player available. if its close,then you go by need

Defense.  

I want an elite pass rusher to make our recent DL draft picks more effective.  We need an outside guy to bring the pressure inward toward Coples and Wilk.  This will take pressure off of our secondary, and play to the strengths of our inside linebackers. 

After the first round, we should see a bevy of offensive additions in rounds 2-4 (the sweet spot of offensive talent). 

I guess if I had to pick I would say defense because: I don't think there's someone out there like Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson, so those positions are out. Guards are numerous in lower rounds, and no QB stands out.So by default, the best talent there would have to be defense for us.  Then load up on offense for the rest of the draft.

The best player. Not many offensive players I like at 9. Cooper/Warmack and maybe if they like Geno Smith, sure. Any DE/OLB they like at 9. 

B. A. P.

Unless it's a ******* guard.

Definitely prefer the pass rusher. #1 need behind QB, IMHO.

im cool with Keenan Allen. 9 is kinda reachy but he's gonna be an instant starter at a position of dire need. 

He broke Cal's all time rec record as a junior. Wesley Walker went to Cal as did Desean Jackson. It's historically a great program for offensive talent (Aaron Rodgers, Tony G, Marshawn, Alex Mack etc). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Bears_football#Current_NFL_Players

I still feel with our D being fairly competent and fact we arent going anywhere THIS year, we should trade down if possible and start the rebuilding    the Off. a bit. Still pick some D, but really focus on Off, UNLESS they see Free Agent Off. help.

I still feel with our D being fairly competent and fact we arent going anywhere THIS year, we should trade down if possible and start the rebuilding    the Off. a bit. Still pick some D, but really focus on Off, UNLESS they see Free Agent Off. help.

I know you like the idea of trading down (I generally like it, too), but the bigger question is who's trading up in this draft?

If they can move down, they should still be going BAP all the way. Drafting for need is the best and easiest way to draft poorly. Can't pass on better prospects on defense just because the offense sucks. They can compensate by focusing on offense in free agency, instead.

I'm bringing my "want at 9" list come into focus, in order:

1. Jarvis Jones: I'm aware he could be out of the league with injury in five years, but him and Werner are the only two pass rushers with any sort of production. I'm not drafting another workout warrior with no production, a la Mingo (the one scout who's quoted as saying he 'disappeared for games at a time' freaked me out). If you get six good-to-great years out of Jones off the edge, this pick will be worth it.

2. Cordarelle Patterson: A WR with size, who can play in multiple offenses, and who can make plays on his own after the catch. Seems like a guy who can turn a game, and who can elevate a quarterback's play just by stepping on the field. Part of my "make the bed for the as-yet-to-be-found-QB" method of roster-building. Patterson at 9, Zach Ertz in Rd 2, a back in Rd 2 (pick from the Revis deal)--add them to Hill and Kerley, and you might have a good, young offense for a QB to step into.

3. Geno Smith--If Idzik takes him, it means Idzik liked him, and it's Idzik who will have everything to lose if Smith sucks. That said, Smith is being taken apart because his team stopped playing halfway through the season. His defense was awful, so he literally had to score every time he had the ball, and he got hit with Heisman and National Championship expectations all at once. He's got the physical tools, so the question is, does he have the mental makeup? If Idzik determines that he does, then we should take him. He may not be perfect, but neither are Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

The only offensive pick I'd be happy with at 9 is Geno Smith.  And its not because I think he's going to be great but more so because if you're picking offense in the top 10, its a reach in this draft and the only position I'm ok with reaching on is QB.  We need one, desperately, it doesnt hurt as bad as it used to if you miss and if Idzik likes Geno, then I think its a strong move for a new GM to grab your franchise QB with your first draft pick as a GM.  Plus, the more you look at Geno and the offense we're going to run, he's probably a good fit.  Strong arm, great accuracy, takes care of the ball, an athlete and has produced with many starts in college.  

Otherwise, I want the best available pass rusher.  Mingo or Jones preferably.  

im cool with Keenan Allen. 9 is kinda reachy but he's gonna be an instant starter at a position of dire need. 

He broke Cal's all time rec record as a junior. Wesley Walker went to Cal as did Desean Jackson. It's historically a great program for offensive talent (Aaron Rodgers, Tony G, Marshawn, Alex Mack etc). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Bears_football#Current_NFL_Players

That's a stretch. Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Edwards (if brought back and should be) are your top 4 wideouts.  It's not that dire of a need unless Holmes is dealt.  I don't think they'll bring back Gates or Schilens, but they could be fodder guys too.  I just don't see a WR that is worth it at 9 and will come in and start over any of the guys we currently have.

That's a stretch. Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Edwards (if brought back and should be) are your top 4 wideouts.  It's not that dire of a need unless Holmes is dealt.  I don't think they'll bring back Gates or Schilens, but they could be fodder guys too.  I just don't see a WR that is worth it at 9 and will come in and start over any of the guys we currently have.

Holmes is here 1 mosre year maybe, and he's coming off of lis franc fracture. Guys sometimes don't come back from that. Braylon Edwards is completed gassed. Kerley's a good #3. Hill can't catch or run routes. It's a position of dire need, in a league where you need 3 or 4 good options, the Jets have 1. I agree that 9 overall is somewhat of a reach for Keenan but he won't be there 10 picks later. 

im also happy to take Jarvis Jones at 9. DROY. 

I know you like the idea of trading down (I generally like it, too), but the bigger question is who's trading up in this draft?

If they can move down, they should still be going BAP all the way. Drafting for need is the best and easiest way to draft poorly. Can't pass on better prospects on defense just because the offense sucks. They can compensate by focusing on offense in free agency, instead.

agree we need a partner, but if we trade down I am implying BAP would be more Off players later,,#9 has more Def BAps IMO

Holmes is here 1 mosre year maybe, and he's coming off of lis franc fracture. Guys sometimes don't come back from that. Braylon Edwards is completed gassed. Kerley's a good #3. Hill can't catch or run routes. It's a position of dire need, in a league where you need 3 or 4 good options, the Jets have 1. I agree that 9 overall is somewhat of a reach for Keenan but he won't be there 10 picks later. 

im also happy to take Jarvis Jones at 9. DROY. 

I just realized I hate everything you say. I don't want WR or Jones.  You are awful.

I'm bringing my "want at 9" list come into focus, in order:

1. Jarvis Jones: I'm aware he could be out of the league with injury in five years, but him and Werner are the only two pass rushers with any sort of production. I'm not drafting another workout warrior with no production, a la Mingo (the one scout who's quoted as saying he 'disappeared for games at a time' freaked me out). If you get six good-to-great years out of Jones off the edge, this pick will be worth it.

2. Cordarelle Patterson: A WR with size, who can play in multiple offenses, and who can make plays on his own after the catch. Seems like a guy who can turn a game, and who can elevate a quarterback's play just by stepping on the field. Part of my "make the bed for the as-yet-to-be-found-QB" method of roster-building. Patterson at 9, Zach Ertz in Rd 2, a back in Rd 2 (pick from the Revis deal)--add them to Hill and Kerley, and you might have a good, young offense for a QB to step into.

3. Geno Smith--If Idzik takes him, it means Idzik liked him, and it's Idzik who will have everything to lose if Smith sucks. That said, Smith is being taken apart because his team stopped playing halfway through the season. His defense was awful, so he literally had to score every time he had the ball, and he got hit with Heisman and National Championship expectations all at once. He's got the physical tools, so the question is, does he have the mental makeup? If Idzik determines that he does, then we should take him. He may not be perfect, but neither are Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

Interesting. I'm gonna go for personal preference with,

1. Mingo

2. Warmack

3. Geno

Won't mind, Cooper, Ansah, Jordan, Star

Archived