Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

I actually think this is a pretty smart way of handling things.  The Jets are making the point crystal clear that it will be them, and not Revis/his agents who will be the deciding factor on where Revis gets traded.  It's fair to assume that in order for a team to offer the kind of haul for Revis that the Jets want in return, they also must be willing to give Revis a deal somewhere in the ballpark of what he's looking for.  So rather than have Revis running around and seeing who he can pull an extra couple of bucks out of, the Jets find the trade deal they like best, and then let those two sides figure out the contract for themselves.

The point is to use the interested teams against each other to improve the haul the Jets are going to get from a trade, not to improve the amount of money Revis is going to get paid.  By letting Revis work out the contract and then starting to discuss trade parameters, the Jets would have lost some of their leverage in the trade, and it seems they were not going to let that happen.  A nice start for Idzik if you ask me, particularly if those rumored trade parameters are true.

+1

Say our top bidder wants to offer Revis $14M/year after trading for him.  They're willing to give us a #1 and a #2.

Some other bidder is willing to offer Revis $16M/year.  But they're willing to only give us a #3 and a #2.

If Revis is allowed to talk to everyone, which team do you suppose Revis is going to refuse to sign a long-term deal with (and thereby nix the trade)?

We get the best deal we can and Revis can talk to that one party.  Or if we get two nearly-identical deals, then we can let Revis talk to both of them.  But no way do you let Revis dictate which teams we are allowed to negotiate with.  It's tough enough to do that without him & his agents interfering with the process.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

Say our top bidder wants to offer Revis $14M/year after trading for him.  They're willing to give us a #1 and a #2.

Some other bidder is willing to offer Revis $16M/year.  But they're willing to only give us a #3 and a #2.

If Revis is allowed to talk to everyone, which team do you suppose Revis is going to refuse to sign a long-term deal with (and thereby nix the trade)?

We get the best deal we can and Revis can talk to that one party.  Or if we get two nearly-identical deals, then we can let Revis talk to both of them.  But no way do you let Revis dictate which teams we are allowed to negotiate with.  It's tough enough to do that without him & his agents interfering with the process.

Once you have your top offer you have something he can have teams match.

The point is you don't let Revis decide what our top offer is by negotiating with everyone else first and seeing what his maximum possible payout is.  

Oh, I am in complete agreement.  I'm just saying that Revis can have an opportunity to shop around and sweeten the pot.  He has a reason to take a deal now to wipe his low year.  So it looks like Tampa?  Eh.

Oh, I am in complete agreement.  I'm just saying that Revis can have an opportunity to shop around and sweeten the pot.  He has a reason to take a deal now to wipe his low year.  So it looks like Tampa?  Eh.

But as likely as not it would only serve to sweeten the pot for Revis, not for the Jets.

The final compensation to the Jets - while Revis is negotiating with this new team - will be the worst-kept secret, so if someone else thinks TB is getting such a steal then they'll swoop in to outbid them.  

A #2 and a conditional #1 that could be as low as a #4.  I prefer a better package than that, particularly just in light of what Harvin returned to Minnesota.  But if Revis is worth so much more than that, then I'd think 30 other teams would be falling over themselves to outbid Tampa.

A #2 and a conditional #1 that could be as low as a #4.  I prefer a better package than that, particularly just in light of what Harvin returned to Minnesota.  But if Revis is worth so much more than that, then I'd think 30 other teams would be falling over themselves to outbid Tampa.

the deadline to trade him before the workout bonus is what's killing Revis' trade value. If the Jets waited until the season and revis proves healthy they would get more. 

the deadline to trade him before the workout bonus is what's killing Revis' trade value. If the Jets waited until the season and revis proves healthy they would get more. 

Not if he passes a physical. ACLs are fairly common and easy and predictable to come back from.

What teams are having a difficult time swallowing is having to give up compensation, then having to pay someone exorbitant contract demands.

In season trades of big name players are very rare. The value for the Jets is getting a known value commodity (draft pick(s) in THIS draft.

Not if he passes a physical. ACLs are fairly common and easy and predictable to come by.

What teams are having a difficult time swallowing is having to give up compensation, then having to pay someone exorbitant contract demands.

In season trades a big name players are very rare. The value for the Jets is getting a known value commodity (draft pick(s) in THIS draft.

ACL injuries are usually 2 year affairs. the player comes back in year 1 but not 100% until year 2 (Adrian Peterson is obviously the exception to the rule). There's also a scary list of CB who didn't come back well from ACL tear (like... all of em). 

As for in season trades its true it is rare for big names but also the deadline was expanded for the first time ever last year from week 6 to week 8. 

Not necessarily. Until the season, teams would have filled most of their needs anyways. You will still find a trade partner, but you wouldn't have a couple of dozen teams looking for a starting CB or two.

ACL injuries are usually 2 year affairs. the player comes back in year 1 but not 100% until year 2 (Adrian Peterson is obviously the exception to the rule). There's also a scary list of CB who didn't come back well from ACL tear (like... all of em). 

As for in season trades its true it is rare for big names but also the deadline was expanded for the first time ever last year from week 6 to week 8. 

I would like to see that list.

Parcells and staff actually mentored Testaverde to eliminate turnovers. The previous years, Testaverde averaged high double digit interceptions. He came to teh Jets in '98 and had 7.

Imagine that, a coaching staff that actually worked with a qb to reduce his mistakes. 

We could only wish that we had a staff that taught that the last 4 years, or at least made qbs accountable for their actions.

CavannnaaaaaaahhhHHHH!

Then why have you repeated over and over that the Jets should wait until the season to max out Revis' trade value if you don't think he'll be 100% until 2014?

If anything, waiting would potentially reduce his trade value. Given the fact that most teams will have already spent their cap dollars by then, there may not be any market at all.

Then why have you repeated over and over that the Jets should wait until the season to max out Revis' trade value if you don't think he'll be 100% until 2014?

If anything, waiting would potentially reduce his trade value. Given the fact that most teams will have already spent their cap dollars by then, there may not be any market at all.

THIS

and

Please list the CB's that have not come back from ACL's? The surgery and recovery on this ligament tears have improved greatly, and rehab has also improved the playing time to get back on the field.

Sometimes, Bit, it seems like you just throw junk out there with no regard at all

I would like to see that list.

Recent History of Cornerbacks After ACL Tear

Every player heals differently, but undoubtedly, there will be inherent risk with Revis after his ACL tear. New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas tore his ACL in 2011, only to re-aggravate the injury early in 2012's training camp. 

Cedric Griffin tore the ACL in his left knee during the 2009 NFC championship game with the Minnesota Vikings. After extensive rehab allowed him to return to the field in Week 3 of 2010, he tore the right ACL in Week 5, sidelining him for the remainder of the season. 

Domonique Foxworth signed a four-year, $28 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens in 2009 but missed the entire 2010 season after tearing his ACL in OTAs. 

He played in two games in 2011 but was placed on injured-reserved due to knee problems. 

The corner retired before the 2012 season. 

Greg Toler of the Arizona Cardinals tore his ACL in a preseason game in 2011. He made a full recovery and played in 11 games in 2012, despite injuring his hamstring in Week 5—there's no telling if the ACL tear had any bearing. 

Rashean Mathis of the Jacksonville Jaguars tore his ACL in Week 10 of the 2011 campaign. 

He signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Jags prior to the 2012 season, but he was hampered by a groin injury and played sparingly in 12 games.

So, make what you want of that information.

THIS

and

Please list the CB's that have not come back from ACL's? The surgery and recovery on this ligament tears have improved greatly, and rehab has also improved the playing time to get back on the field.

Sometimes, Bit, it seems like you just throw junk out there with no regard at all

you guys are real PITA's give me 5 minutes to find the article. Jeez. 

I'd rather gamble that Revis makes some sort of amazing recovery that yields multiple firsts than trade him now for a 2 and 4. I just don't see a diff between the 2 and the 3 they would get from comp picks.  I've had a realistic assessment what he's been worth, you guys are gonna be sad when they don't get a 1 this week.  He can be worth more that's my point. Selling at a low. 

I also found Brian Witherspoon, CB NYG tore the same ACL two seasons in a row.... Bradley Fletcher who just got a contract from the Eagles, tore his ACL ( *for the 2nd time ) during 2011 season, started 4 games in 2012 (8 INT) ... that would be a "success" story i guess. 

I'd rather gamble that Revis makes some sort of amazing recovery that yields multiple firsts than trade him now for a 2 and 4. I just don't see a diff between the 2 and the 3 they would get from comp picks.  I've had a realistic assessment what he's been worth, you guys are gonna be sad when they don't get a 1 this week.  He can be worth more that's my point. Selling at a low. 

Agreed.Further if you trade trade him now wihout getting a 2013 #1 it will be yet another sheetstorm for a franchise that cannot afford another. It's abd enough that 2013 is shaping up as a rebuild, if you don't improve your talent level at some position of need and to a lesser degree give the fans some substantive hope in the form of an extra #1 it will be terrible.

According to NFLN, Revis' agent tweeted a picture of Revis in Paris. 

So while we're all here, glued to the scrolling news updates...he's eating a crepe on the eifel tower. 

Revis is also tweeting his new clothing line.  So he could care less because he knows regardless, He'll get his money now or next year.

Agreed.Further if you trade trade him now wihout getting a 2013 #1 it will be yet another sheetstorm for a franchise that cannot afford another. It's abd enough that 2013 is shaping up as a rebuild, if you don't improve your talent level at some position of need and to a lesser degree give the fans some substantive hope in the form of an extra #1 it will be terrible.

We don't really know what other teams value Revis at. We have rumors and tons of Jets fans throwing out numbers, but if you listen to other teams, revis isn't considered worth a #1.   If Tampa is offering a #2 and a #4 and they outbid the Eagles,  that's saying a lot about what teams are offering.

People keep saying look at what the Vikings got for Harvin.    Yeah thats one of those deals where one team fleeced the other. It might work out for both franchises.     Many trades happen like the 49ers and Boldin trade though.   Ravens dumped salary and get a 6th round pick.

I also found Brian Witherspoon, CB NYG tore the same ACL two seasons in a row.... Bradley Fletcher who just got a contract from the Eagles, tore his ACL ( *for the 2nd time ) during 2011 season, started 4 games in 2012 (8 INT) ... that would be a "success" story i guess. 

Doctors will have the ability to check Revis, I am sure that will be a stipulation. 

Re-tearing an ACL does not mean that they did not recover-It means they reinjured the tendon. Revis could very well do that in game 1, and then what will the Jets get for him?

The information you provided there actually leads me to want to trade him MORE.

I told someone I work with who is a Jets fan (and also new parent with very little sleep or free time) that the Jets were gonna trade Revis, he said "What are they gonna get for him" I said "it looks like a 2 and a conditional" and he goes "Ugh". there's no good way to spin this to the fans. 

If I didn't know any better, this would sound like you were supporting the idea of trading Revis.  After all, if the future of Revis' health is so bleak, I can't imagine why we'd want the Jets to be the ones to pay him.

You are not going to get multiple firsts for for him mid-season. Both the Jets and the team acquiring him will be disadvantaged cap wise in making that deal. As well, it is not preferable to a team to add a cb mid-eseason, without him working with the defense.

I can make stuff up just like you.

The logic is confusing: wouldn't all of their teams have been better off trading them for picks, then?

The logic is not confusing at all.  Rashean Mathis, Terrell Thomas, Dominique Foxworthy and Cedric Griffin were all good or better corners.  Starter quality.  You asked Bit to provide the names and he did.  

I told someone I work with who is a Jets fan (and also new parent with very little sleep or free time) that the Jets were gonna trade Revis, he said "What are they gonna get for him" I said "it looks like a 2 and a conditional" and he goes "Ugh". there's no good way to spin this to the fans. 

I am convinced then. Let's keep him. Do you have his number? I like to talk with strangers who are up in the middle of the night.

Doctors will have the ability to check Revis, I am sure that will be a stipulation. 

Re-tearing an ACL does not mean that they did not recover-It means they reinjured the tendon. Revis could very well do that in game 1, and then what will the Jets get for him?

The information you provided there actually leads me to want to trade him MORE.

i dont know what doctors will be able to see on a guy 4-5 months after surgery and how that will translate in another 4-5 months. Just alot of uncertaity. I'd rather trade him when there's less uncertainty and everyone can see he's the man. And they get his talent in the meantime. Worst case he walks and they get a 3. Is that better than a 2 now? I guess not seeing him in a Pats uniform is worth something but honestly, Revis being a money first guy would never take less to go to the Pats. Maybe the Steelers his hometown. 

Cedric Griffin tore the ACL in his left knee during the 2009 NFC

championship game with the Minnesota Vikings. After extensive rehab

allowed him to return to the field in Week 3 of 2010, he tore the right

ACL in Week 5, sidelining him for the remainder of the season. 

Domonique Foxworth signed a four-year, $28 million deal with the

Baltimore Ravens in 2009 but missed the entire 2010 season after tearing

his ACL in OTAs. 

He played in two games in 2011 but was placed on injured-reserved due to knee problems. 

The corner retired before the 2012 season. 

Greg Toler of the Arizona Cardinals tore his ACL in a preseason

game in 2011. He made a full recovery and played in 11 games in 2012,

despite injuring his hamstring in Week 5—there's no telling if the ACL

tear had any bearing. 

Rashean Mathis of the Jacksonville Jaguars tore his ACL in Week 10 of the 2011 campaign. 

He signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Jags prior to the

2012 season, but he was hampered by a groin injury and played sparingly

in 12 games.

1. Cedric Griffin: He tore his left knee the following season. Not related to tearing his right ACL. Just a coincidence.

2. Foxworth's case is credible from what I read.

3. Greg Toler: His hammy had nothing to do with ACL. Another coincidence.

4. Rashean Mathis: Unrelated injury to the ACL tear. Another coincidence.

Each player heals differently. Revis has a great work ethic and a motivation for a moster contract. From that list, I don't see a reason why ACL would be a major concern.

Archived