Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah and it's not nearly as crazy of an idea to keep him as people keep making it out to be.

This is just fans being fans.    No player wants to feel disrespected.   Everybody has egos. Especially players like Revis.

This entire postseason the Jets have ignored Revis, thrown out trade rumors, and now the rumors are running rampant.   Even a rumor there is an offer from the Bucs.    

Jets fans want everything, Bucs fans don't want to give up anything and I'm sure other teams fans think the same things.   The problem with this press, whoever is leaking or not leaking things,  is that you kind of have to trade Revis now.    They already put it out there that they want him gone and are trying as hard as they can do make it happen.   Soon the Jets leverage is 0 and other teams can just laugh and realize, hey we will just sign Revis for nothing after the season.    Not like the Bucs are a super bowl team this season anyway.

For the Jets.....well if they dont trade the guy, he walks after the season.   Or he holds them hostage with unrealistic demands.   Watch many players who get thrown into "trade talks" in most sports and suddenly they force their way out.  Or wind up not giving a crap about doing anything for the team.  Revis is at that point now.   The Jets lost all cards.

This is just fans being fans.    No player wants to feel disrespected.   Everybody has egos. Especially players like Revis.

This entire postseason the Jets have ignored Revis, thrown out trade rumors, and now the rumors are running rampant.   Even a rumor there is an offer from the Bucs.    

Jets fans want everything, Bucs fans don't want to give up anything and I'm sure other teams fans think the same things.   The problem with this press, whoever is leaking or not leaking things,  is that you kind of have to trade Revis now.    They already put it out there that they want him gone and are trying as hard as they can do make it happen.   Soon the Jets leverage is 0 and other teams can just laugh and realize, hey we will just sign Revis for nothing after the season.    Not like the Bucs are a super bowl team this season anyway.

For the Jets.....well if they dont trade the guy, he walks after the season.   Or he holds them hostage with unrealistic demands.   Watch many players who get thrown into "trade talks" in most sports and suddenly they force their way out.  Or wind up not giving a crap about doing anything for the team.  Revis is at that point now.   The Jets lost all cards.

First, when did the Jets put anything "out there" as you say? What we have is Manish, Cimini and a bunch of speculation. Remember that the rumors started before Idzik even got to Florham Park.

The Jets can sign him to an extension. I doubt it's that difficult, really. Why do you think he is so eager to risk playing out this year without an extension? Yea if it works out he can hit FA and *maybe* get paid more. Maybe. But remember the dude is coming off an ACL. Even if he doesn't get re-injured, there's the chance that he's not going to play at the hall of fame level we're used to. He would be taking a huge risk by playing this season out.

If the Bucs pull this trade off its the theft of the century.

Yeah, Idzik has to know that.  There is no way his first move as a GM other than cuts and signing some camp fodder is botching the trade of a one Darrelle Revis.  

If it is a 2nd and a 4th, that's just terrible.  I'd say let him play out his deal, and get compensation when he signs elsewhere in 2014, but that opens him up to signing with the Pats -- and you know that is the way it will play out.

There would be no guarantee of compensation, as we would be expecting the Jets to sign free agents of their own and if they do, they quite possibly lose opportunity for compensation-at least under the old cba.

The prevailing pro Belichick wisdom is that Vinny had matured and was becoming a serious QB with the Browns.  He went 9-4 and then the following year they knew they were leaving to move to Baltimore and the wheels fell off.  The Ravens started out with old Colts coach Ted Marchibroda from the Bert Jones - Roger Carr - Lydell Mitchell Colts and had a top 5 offense the first year, but a sucky D.  Vinny T made the pro bowl over 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. The following year Testaverde regressed a bit and was replaced by QB of the future (Eric Zeier! I had to look this up I was way off) and the next year Belly supposedly championed his joining the Jets.  Vinny was a victim of circumstance!  

* No I do not buy this, but it is what I have repeatedly been told by a rabid pro Belichick Giants fan.

Testaverde was benched because he had a million-dollar bonus due for 3000 yards or something like that is what I remember hearing at the time.  So they benched him in the middle of a game before he got to that level.  Looked like they were going to lose the game and their playoff chances were already pretty slim at that point.  Vinny wasn't even having a bad game and they suddenly pulled him 29 yards shy of a mark that would have kicked in a 7-figure bonus that would have made him uncuttable the following year.  Conspiracy? You tell me. He was a post-June-1st cut in '98.

But he was still a veteran QB who had a legit pro bowl season 2 years prior, and at least a mediocre season 1 year prior.  I didn't really follow the '97 Ravens but only remember that story because we picked him up on BB's strong recommendation after Baltimore cut him in June.

Testaverde was benched because he had a million-dollar bonus due for 3000 yards or something like that is what I remember hearing at the time.  So they benched him in the middle of a game before he got to that level.  Looked like they were going to lose the game and their playoff chances were already pretty slim at that point.  Vinny wasn't even having a bad game and they suddenly pulled him 29 yards shy of a mark that would have kicked in a 7-figure bonus that would have made him uncuttable the following year.  Conspiracy? You tell me. He was a post-June-1st cut in '98.

But he was still a veteran QB who had a legit pro bowl season 2 years prior, and at least a mediocre season 1 year prior.  I didn't really follow the '97 Ravens but only remember that story because we picked him up on BB's strong recommendation after Baltimore cut him in June.

Parcells and staff actually mentored Testaverde to eliminate turnovers. The previous years, Testaverde averaged high double digit interceptions. He came to teh Jets in '98 and had 7.

Imagine that, a coaching staff that actually worked with a qb to reduce his mistakes. 

We could only wish that we had a staff that taught that the last 4 years, or at least made qbs accountable for their actions.

Parcells and staff actually mentored Testaverde to eliminate turnovers. The previous years, Testaverde averaged high double digit interceptions. He came to teh Jets in '98 and had 7.

Imagine that, a coaching staff that actually worked with a qb to reduce his mistakes. 

We could only wish that we had a staff that taught that the last 4 years, or at least made qbs accountable for their actions.

Are you not familiar with red-yellow-green?

I bet you feel stupid now.

Are you not familiar with red-yellow-green?

I bet you feel stupid now.

The next Rex Ryan teaching mode will be "the wheels on  the bus go round and round".

Seriously, I think red-yellow-green actually helped. Then they got very stupid and said "we are going to open the game up with Mark a little bit more". 

So we don't believe that the Niners would trade picks or pay Revis (because Mort said so!) but we believe that Revis will not pay for less than $16M when that number was only quoted by some no nothing twitter junkie as part of a "demanding $12M-$16M" quote.  That's the only place I saw it and now it is fact.  If I were his agents I would be using these damn quotes as a bargaining tactic.

I think the 49ers were in it insofar as they were willing to see if they could give up something like their low 2nd rounder (#61) and nothing more and use Revis as a 1-year rental.  And if that ended up as the Jets' top offer then that would be the top offer.  But I didn't see any story anywhere that suggested the 49ers were willing to sign Revis long-term and give up an even higher pick.  

I think they were just seeing what was the minimum the Jets would take, which is what any smart team should do.  

What if they could somehow snatch Revis for their low 2 just to use as a 1-year rental at $6M and win a SB with that? Worth it.  

Doubling down on that by giving him a contract for more than double that starting at age 29, as well as giving up far more in draft compensation, is not as smart of a move.  To me, anyway.  Apparently to SF as well.  

If it is a 2nd and a 4th, that's just terrible.  I'd say let him play out his deal, and get compensation when he signs elsewhere in 2014, but that opens him up to signing with the Pats -- and you know that is the way it will play out.

That "compensation" would be a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2015 (~pick #97), and we'd only get that if we sit on our hands in free agency in 2014.

The value of that pick today (since the 3rd round technically only lasts through pick #96 if no team is penalized into surrendering a pick by the league) is

the #1 pick in round 4 in 2015

equivalent of the #1 pick in round 5 in 2014

equivalent of the #1 pick in round 6 in 2013.

Keeping Revis means we get him for one more non-SB season plus the equivalent of the #1 pick in round 6 this year.

I think a 2nd in '13 and a conditional 4th in '14 is kind of sucky, but I also think it's better than one more year of Revis this year plus the #1 pick in round 5 next year.  

Oh yeah, and it also pushes his accelerated cap hit to 2014 instead of 2013.  Meaning in addition to those picks we don't get, Revis still counts $9M in 2014 to sign with someone else as a FA.

Keep Revis:

2013 = $9M cap hit (with Revis playing here)

2014 = $9M cap hit (with Revis playing elsewhere)

2015 = Round 4, 1st pick in 2015*

Trade Revis:

2013 = $12M cap hit (with Revis playing elsewhere)

2014 = $0 cap hit 

2013 = draft pick (?)

2014 = draft pick (?)

* (last pick in round 3 = 1st pick in round 4 in my book since a compensatory pick creates a pick that wasn't otherwise there) 

Keep Revis:

2013 = $9M cap hit (with Revis playing here)

2014 = $9M cap hit (with Revis playing elsewhere)

2015 = Round 4, 1st pick in 2015*

Trade Revis:

2013 = $12M cap hit (with Revis playing elsewhere)

2014 = $0 cap hit 

2013 = draft pick (?)

2014 = draft pick (?)

* (last pick in round 3 = 1st pick in round 4 in my book since a compensatory pick creates a pick that wasn't otherwise there) 

How about signing him to a new deal?

How about signing him to a new deal?

I'm ok with that also -- to a point.  I've said a couple of times if we can re-sign him to the same deal he's got now ($11-12M/year with penalties in place if he holds out) then I'm for it.  I was even more for it before we restructured Cromartie, since I'm against eating up between $20-30M of cap space on 2 CBs.

If he truly wants $15-16M of new money and not a penny less, then it will cost the Jets $18-19M on our cap ($3M/year more than it would cost any other team) and I am against that.

I'm ok with that also -- to a point.  I've said a couple of times if we can re-sign him to the same deal he's got now ($11-12M/year with penalties in place if he holds out) then I'm for it.  I was even more for it before we restructured Cromartie, since I'm against eating up between $20-30M of cap space on 2 CBs.

If he truly wants $15-16M of new money and not a penny less, then it will cost the Jets $18-19M on our cap ($3M/year more than it would cost any other team) and I am against that.

Gotcha. The only contract demands we've heard have been out of CImini's mouth. And personally, I think he'd rather stay here.

More hysteria.  Parcells mentored him?  The guy was in the pro bowl 2 years prior and Parcells was nowhere near him.  I think that tub of sh*t was holding up Tampa at the time. The Jets had a good running game and Testaverde was smart enough to rely on it. Most of the same coaches were there when he went back to 25 INTs in 2000. 

Gotcha. The only contract demands we've heard have been out of CImini's mouth. And personally, I think he'd rather stay here.

Not true.  He's said he wants to be the highest-paid defender in the NFL.  He's also said in the past he wanted $16M/year.  He got that over the first 2 years of his current deal, which he called a "band-aid" and expected it to be torn up before the 2012 season.  He would have held out last offseason as well if Tannenbaum didn't put that poison pill in his contract.  So Cimini is not the only one who's thrown that number out there.  It will be interesting to see what he ultimately signs for.

I think he has no objection to staying here.  He wants to go anywhere that can guarantee he gets long-term money today rather than waiting until he hits free agency next year.  In the end, he wants to go where he gets paid the most.  This is my opinion.

Personally I think he'd rather go to Tampa, where there's no state income tax (9% in NJ for Revis) and the weather's nicer.

On scanning the interweb, a few things have become clearer:

1. The no-name Philly hack is the sole progenitor of the 2nd/4th compensation package rumor. Literally no other source that I've found has even tried to guess at the compensation, which is odd if the 2/4 option actually leaked.  

2. That the Tampa rumor leaked almost 24 hours ago and nothing has happened suggests

a. that Revis' agents have been given a window to negotiate with Tampa on an extension prior to any trade going through, or

b. that Tampa has just been floated to boost interest elsewhere, or

c. Idzik is still shopping, or

d. Idzik is letting Revis' agents go off to find out what Revis' real market value is. Given all the high-dollar corners that got dumped this year alone, that market HAS TO BE depressed right now. Dunta Robinson just took a 3 year/$15 million dollar deal. Nnamdi is on the street. Cro (the second best corner?) is getting an $8.5 average. Richard Sherman is still on his rookie deal. Revis wants to (and deserves to be) the standard bearer, but it's hard to believe right now that he's going to get 180% of what the next guy is getting. So, maybe, Idzik is sitting in his office chortling in the way only an Ivy-League, Duke-educated elitist can, picturing Schwartz and Feinsod knocking on doors all over the league and coming away with their hat in their hands each time.

More hysteria.  Parcells mentored him?  The guy was in the pro bowl 2 years prior and Parcells was nowhere near him.  I think that tub of sh*t was holding up Tampa at the time. The Jets had a good running game and Testaverde was smart enough to rely on it. Most of the same coaches were there when he went back to 25 INTs in 2000. 

You feel that lone remaining ember of Jets pride that fate still allows to burn in your chest? That one piece of dignity you can possibly mine from rooting for this godforsaken team? The single, solitary thing that separates your team from Washington Generals status? Parcells put that there. He rebuilt this franchise, made it marketable, respectable, and competitive. If it weren't for Parcells, Jim Dolan probably buys this team for pennies on the dollar and your quarterback right now would be Daunte Culpepper. Parcells.  

Parcells was not there in 2000. Testaverde had 19 interceptions in '96. 

Groh had Testaverde throw the ball 590 times in 2000.

Parcells knew how to handle Testaverde and what he could get away with him. He drilled it into his head in pre-season that he had to learn to throw the ball away, not make the bad play. He asked Vinny to be efficeint.

And Vinny had the best year of his career in '98. By far. And Parcells used him correctly and taught him to be a smart qb. He made him accountable.

These are things Rex Ryan has no idea about.

Parcells was not there in 2000. Testaverde had 19 interceptions in '96. 

Groh had Testaverde throw the ball 590 times in 2000.

Parcells knew how to handle Testaverde and what he could get away with him. He drilled it into his head in pre-season that he had to learn to throw the ball away, not make the bad play. He asked Vinny to be efficeint.

And Vinny had the best year of his career in '98. By far. And Parcells used him correctly and taught him to be a smart qb. He made him accountable.

These are things Rex Ryan has no idea about.

Parcells or Charlie Weis?  

Parcells fat spectre has been hanging over this team since he came over.  It's his fault BB left and he has suggested coaches and players keeping Woody's ear for a great deal of this time.  Giving him credit for Testaverde having a miracle season is going too far. Parcells stood for many of the same things that Rex does.  It's true that maybe the game has passed them by, but it's not like Parcells did anything Rex wouldn't.  Parcells had Simms and George Young and Rex had Sanchez and Tannenbaum.  Rex hasn't had the power here to pull the sh*t that Parcells did when he came over. 

Parcells fat spectre has been hanging over this team since he came over.  It's his fault BB left and he has suggested coaches and players keeping Woody's ear for a great deal of this time.  Giving him credit for Testaverde having a miracle season is going too far. Parcells stood for many of the same things that Rex does.  It's true that maybe the game has passed them by, but it's not like Parcells did anything Rex wouldn't.  Parcells had Simms and George Young and Rex had Sanchez and Tannenbaum.  Rex hasn't had the power here to pull the sh*t that Parcells did when he came over. 

Go back and look at George Young's post-Parcells draft history.

When it comes to player performance, I will ultimately blame or credit the head coach. It is just where the accountability game has to fall.

Sources tell the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Eagles have pulled out of the Darrelle Revis trade talks.

The Jets are reportedly in talks with the Bucs and another mystery team. That unknown organization is not the Eagles. Although they have a need at corner and plenty of cap space, GM Howie Roseman is clearly wary of breaking the bank in the free-agency market once again after the failed "Dream Team" experiment of 2011. He made a sharp, cost-effective deal with former Rams corner Bradley Fletcher on Tuesday night.

Hot Rumor: Tampa Bay has offered the Jets the 2nd round pick for 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014. The Jets want the deal reversed: 1st round choice in 2013 and a conditional 2nd rounder in 2014. Once the parameters are completed, the Jets will contact Revis' agents to work on the long term contract. So far the Jets have received two offers but both are contingent on locking up Revis long term. 

Hot Rumor: Tampa Bay has offered the Jets the 2nd round pick for 2013 and a conditional 1st round pick in 2014. The Jets want the deal reversed: 1st round choice in 2013 and a conditional 2nd rounder in 2014. Once the parameters are completed, the Jets will contact Revis' agents to work on the long term contract. So far the Jets have received two offers but both are contingent on locking up Revis long term. 

There ye go, Johnny.

Get it done.

I actually think this is a pretty smart way of handling things.  The Jets are making the point crystal clear that it will be them, and not Revis/his agents who will be the deciding factor on where Revis gets traded.  It's fair to assume that in order for a team to offer the kind of haul for Revis that the Jets want in return, they also must be willing to give Revis a deal somewhere in the ballpark of what he's looking for.  So rather than have Revis running around and seeing who he can pull an extra couple of bucks out of, the Jets find the trade deal they like best, and then let those two sides figure out the contract for themselves.

The point is to use the interested teams against each other to improve the haul the Jets are going to get from a trade, not to improve the amount of money Revis is going to get paid.  By letting Revis work out the contract and then starting to discuss trade parameters, the Jets would have lost some of their leverage in the trade, and it seems they were not going to let that happen.  A nice start for Idzik if you ask me, particularly if those rumored trade parameters are true.

My friend who works in the financial district and has a few season tix to NYJ (I get to use the seats every blue moon...lucky me). He has been my source for a ton of info and 70% of his info has turned out true. He is a trader and I believe, based on his connections, that he has an in with the Jets front office. Again, its a rumor mill over all but just letting you guys know what I heard. 

Archived