Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

imo, the key is not to panic.  If the deal isnt there, dont force it, just like in any negotiation.  We have the goods, buyers will come to us.

That's my thinking. What I would like the Jets to receive is a first day pick and a 2nd day pick (2nd or 3rd round). I don't mind if a pick is conditional, but as long as the first rounder is guaranteed. Revis at even 50% in 2013 will be better than anyone we draft in 2013. And I actually don't mind if we get a 1st for 2014 and get a 2nd for 2013. That would be ideal if we were to draft our franchise QB and needed the amo to move up in the draft.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, except for the fact there is one GIGANTIC hole in your argument.  The rumor you are using as the basis for your argument against the Revis trade also suggests that the 4th you reference would actually be conditional up to 1st, which the Jets would likely receive if Revis proves healthy.  Meaning what you suggest the supposed upside to trading him later would be is no more than what the Jets would end up getting in this deal anyway, while massively increasing the risk.  To break it down:

If Revis is healthy this year:

Trading him now:  2013 2nd and 2014 1st

Later:  2014 1st and ???

If Revis is not healthy this year:

Now: 2013 2nd and 2014 4th

Later:  Nothing

we don't know what the conditions are to make that 4th a 1st. It could be that the Bucs have to hoist the Lombardi trophy for that to be a first. Fat chance. also should be noted if Revis makes that team much better a 2014 1st could be a pick in the late 20's. A 2013 1st is a top 15 pick. 

the problem with using historical president is that trading a player with Revis' resume and age is unprecedented  a 27 year old with 3x all pro/4x Pro bowl has never hit the market before.  Most teams keep their 1st ballot HOF'ers (at least until they are a ripe old age).

so yeah you can say that a mid season trade doesn't often happen. And I can say trading a player as good as Revis NEVER happens. 

Is George Washington the Jets GM now?

Yeah, except for the fact there is one GIGANTIC hole in your argument.  The rumor you are using as the basis for your argument against the Revis trade also suggests that the 4th you reference would actually be conditional up to 1st, which the Jets would likely receive if Revis proves healthy.  Meaning what you suggest the supposed upside to trading him later would be is no more than what the Jets would end up getting in this deal anyway, while massively increasing the risk.  To break it down:

If Revis is healthy this year:

Trading him now:  2013 2nd and 2014 1st

Later:  2014 1st and ???

See your wrong here, Revis' contract is only up after this season if he wants it to be, so if we keep him, and he doesn't prove healthy why would he void the remainder of his contract? If he isn't healthy I gotta assume what's left on the deal is better than what he would get in the open market No (if he doesn't prove healthy 2013)?

See your wrong here, Revis' contract is only up after this season if he wants it to be, so if we keep him, and he doesn't prove healthy why would he void the remainder of his contract? If he isn't healthy I gotta assume what's left on the deal is better than what he would get in the open market No (if he doesn't prove healthy 2013)?

Revis is about money.  This we all know. Everybody knows.    He will be a free agent once the season is over.   So unless he signs a new contract, etc,  he will go to the highest bidder.  And the fact the Jets are ignoring him now,  probably means he'd be ignoring him then.

The only way Revis would resign with the Jets next season is if

he sucked after his injury and nobody else wanted him.

we don't know what the conditions are to make that 4th a 1st. It could be that the Bucs have to hoist the Lombardi trophy for that to be a first. Fat chance. also should be noted if Revis makes that team much better a 2014 1st could be a pick in the late 20's. A 2013 1st is a top 15 pick. 

Except you're suggesting the Jets wait until long after the 2013 draft to trade Revis, so that would be completely irrelevant.  If anything, by trading him now they are doing more to avoid that issue for at least some of the picks they receive as compensation.

Besides, if we're worried about where the pick lands in the round, what's to say, even if the Jets do find an interested party willing to part with a 1st come the start of the season, it would still be the Bucs anyway?  It could end up being a better team who would net the Jets a much lower pick in each round.  Not to mention, if Revis made whoever the Jets traded him to much better, it would still reduce the future years picks they will receive (which, if they waited, would be all of them).

ACL injuries are usually 2 year affairs. the player comes back in year 1 but not 100% until year 2 (Adrian Peterson is obviously the exception to the rule). There's also a scary list of CB who didn't come back well from ACL tear (like... all of em). 

As for in season trades its true it is rare for big names but also the deadline was expanded for the first time ever last year from week 6 to week 8. 

So, with what you just said, why not get what you can for him?  No CB has ever come back from an ACL, and we only have Revis for 1 year, not the 2 it typically takes to get back... You're selling that 2014 conditional pick quite well.

If I were running the Jets (I know I'm not) the condition would be met for a 1st if Revis plays 75%, or more of the team he is traded to defensive snaps, the one thing I know that is a given with D Revis is he will work harder at every aspect of the game then anyone on your team, and even a step slower (if that's what he becomes after this injury), if he is on the field he will be better than any CB in the NFL plain, and simple, Revis is a future HOFer who will play until he is 40 if he so chooses just like Rod Woodson, Champ Bailey, ect... Because he works hard, and can make up what he loses physically 10 fold with his knowledge, and preparation, sure a position change to Safety will be in his future, but that won't change the fact he will make everyone on the field better still.

His health would have to be pretty awful in order for him not to be able to get an offer better than what the last 3 years of his Jets' deal would net him ($3M/year).  In that case, it would only be all the more reason the Jets should have traded him when they had the chance.

the problem with using historical president is that trading a player with Revis' resume and age is unprecedented  a 27 year old with 3x all pro/4x Pro bowl has never hit the market before.  Most teams keep their 1st ballot HOF'ers (at least until they are a ripe old age).

so yeah you can say that a mid season trade doesn't often happen. And I can say trading a player as good as Revis NEVER happens. 

It's not about superstars or players like Revis.  The NFL isn't baseball or basketball.  Teams don't make blockbuster trades in the middle of the season.   The NFL extended the trading deadline in hopes more teams would make trades.  It didn't happen.     

If Revis is traded come Oct,  it'll most likely be a trade far worse than what they will get now.   

How many great teams would give up a ton of high draft picks for a 3 month rental?    That's what Revis would become at that point.  

And even if they convinced the 49ers or Broncos to do that,  what are those teams really willing to give up?  Dumb teams jump the gun, smart teams would just wait till Jan when he's a free agent.  

Teams like the 49ers or Broncos would trade for him now.  If they are 5-1 and look dominant, why would they trade for him then?  

And a team like the Bucs, if they are 2-4 then,  it's probably because their QB stinks, not because they need Revis.   

The NFL just doesn't do blockbuster trades during the season.    

As much as I want Mevi$ gone I just don't see how this trade can get done.  I truly believe Mevi$ will not sign any extension from anyone unless its out of this ballpark and makes him the highest paid D player in the league right now.  If he can't get that I don't see him signing anything.  This puts teams trying to trade for him in a position to get a 1 year rental which teams will pretty much be unwilling to trade much for.  Hopefully they don't do some dumb trade like we did with Vilma and get screwed in the process.

I think the Mevi$ lovers will get their wish of having him here this meaningless season, then watch him flip you fans the bird for a few extra million from some other team.

Revis is about money.  This we all know. Everybody knows.    He will be a free agent once the season is over.   So unless he signs a new contract, etc,  he will go to the highest bidder.  And the fact the Jets are ignoring him now,  probably means he'd be ignoring him then.

The only way Revis would resign with the Jets next season is if

he sucked after his injury and nobody else wanted him.

Revis' contract ISN'T up after 2013, there is a clause in his contract that allows him to VOID the remaining years of the deal, and yes if healthy he 100% will do this, but I was commenting on the post saying "if not proven healthy in 2013", and because of that he couldn't get the big money on the open market why would he void the remaining years on his current contract? If its me I'm talking to Revis, and his agents everyday from now until the start of FA next season trying to get him locked up, of course I would try early at a slightly cheaper number, and my offer would go up the more he proves healthy throughout the year if he doesn't agree early, and I keep trying till I get him locked up, or he asks for more money that is feasible, and to me he is worth around the same money as the best defensive players in the game make when 100% healthy.

So, with what you just said, why not get what you can for him?  No CB has ever come back from an ACL, and we only have Revis for 1 year, not the 2 it typically takes to get back... You're selling that 2014 conditional pick quite well.

C'mon.  That's not fair.  Don't confuse Bit with his on statements.You obliviously missed out on Bit’s multi year defense of Gholston

Revis' contract ISN'T up after 2013, there is a clause in his contract that allows him to VOID the remaining years of the deal, and yes if healthy he 100% will do this, but I was commenting on the post saying "if not proven healthy in 2013", and because of that he couldn't get the big money on the open market why would he void the remaining years on his current contract? If its me I'm talking to Revis, and his agents everyday from now until the start of FA next season trying to get him locked up, of course I would try early at a slightly cheaper number, and my offer would go up the more he proves healthy throughout the year if he doesn't agree early, and I keep trying till I get him locked up, or he asks for more money that is feasible, and to me he is worth around the same money as the best defensive players in the game make when 100% healthy.

Revis seems to think he's healthy.  His agent thinks he's healthy.  The Jets seem to think he's healthy enough to try and get top draft picks for him.

Whether or not he returns to form nobody knows, but at this point,  if he is indeed healthy or 90+ percent, he will leave the jets like Welker left new England.   

Except you're suggesting the Jets wait until long after the 2013 draft to trade Revis, so that would be completely irrelevant.  If anything, by trading him now they are doing more to avoid that issue for at least some of the picks they receive as compensation.

Besides, if we're worried about where the pick lands in the round, what's to say, even if the Jets do find an interested party willing to part with a 1st come the start of the season, it would still be the Bucs anyway?  It could end up being a better team who would net the Jets a much lower pick in each round.  Not to mention, if Revis made whoever the Jets traded him to much better, it would still reduce the future years picks they will receive (which, if they waited, would be all of them).

IF the Jets are dead set on trading Revis, the best time to trade him is IMO 1st week of training camp while he is making WR's irrelevant on the practice field, then the Jets will get the best offer for Revis, yes this is a Risky move, but a Calculated Risk IMO, if you add up all Revis' strengths as a football player everything points towards him making a fast, and full recovery like Adrian Peterson did, I've said numerous times the last 2 days NOBODY works, and trains harder than D Revis at the game of football on the Jets, and probably no other CB in football does either, all signs point towards Revis returning to his GOAT form IMO, and if he proves it in camp those conditional 1st round picks were rumored to be getting offered will have the conditional part removed, and be followed by more picks if a team wants him to win it all in 2013 like the Falcons, look what they gave up for the right to draft J Jones.

Revis seems to think he's healthy.  His agent thinks he's healthy.  The Jets seem to think he's healthy enough to try and get top draft picks for him.

Whether or not he returns to form nobody knows, but at this point,  if he is indeed healthy or 90+ percent, he will leave the jets like Welker left new England.   

Gun to your head, right now do you think Revis will be the best CB in football for the next 3-5 years? Yes, or No answer, not I have to see if he is healthy, right now what would your gut tell you?

I didn't say that. I said there's a history of CBs not coming back from ACL tear and it's depressing what the Jets can get for Revis. that and the somewhat arbitrary 1 million dollar bonus deadline. If the jets change teh deadline from March 19 to week 8 they can get a better deal. And if teams see Revis dominating (even in Preseason action) they can get a much better deal.

Right now there's too much uncertainty to get value. I know you hate Revis but he's an asset and this is business not personal. 

all of this is hypothetical. But even a rabid Revis hater should be able to see that trading him now garners less than trading him after he's proven healthy. and if he's never healthy then yes they lose the 2nd and 4th. Boo hoo. I'd rather gamble on getting a 1st or more. 

You're just wrong, plain and simple. 100% wrong.

Team's who need upgrades at CB aren't going to sit on their hands until the summertime waiting for Revis to look like a superstar again, and the Jets to be willing to do a deal. They're going to dip into the free agent pool and spend their cap dollars, they're going to draft CBs.

By the summer, there will be no market for Revis at all.

Now is the time to trade him.

There are two negatives to trading Revis that nobody wants to accept as negatives.  First of all, we don't have Revis in 2013.  Second, he actually costs us more against the cap by trading him than keeping him.   I know this is a lost season and all, but there is still some value there.  These points and the potential for a compensatory pick are valid positives to not trading him that have to be weighed against what teams are offering and the circus of having a lame duck CB - a mercenary that will be playing for his contract, I might add.  Yes they should trade him.  No, they shouldn't accept a 2nd and 4th IMO.

There are two negatives to trading Revis that nobody wants to accept as negatives.  First of all, we don't have Revis in 2013.  Second, he actually costs us more against the cap by trading him than keeping him.   I know this is a lost season and all, but there is still some value there.  These points and the potential for a compensatory pick are valid positives to not trading him that have to be weighed against what teams are offering and the circus of having a lame duck CB - a mercenary that will be playing for his contract, I might add.  Yes they should trade him.  No, they shouldn't accept a 2nd and 4th IMO.

If that conditional pick winds up being a fourth rounder, then having Revis play for the team in 2013 probably wouldn't've helped very much.

Gun to your head, right now do you think Revis will be the best CB in football for the next 3-5 years? Yes, or No answer, not I have to see if he is healthy, right now what would your gut tell you?

I'm not the GMs of these teams so I don't have to decide.    

And this is the risk anybody will have to make.  Do you think Revis will be Revis or do you think he'll be a has been?

If you think he's Revis, then you trade picks for him.  If you think he won't be the old Revis, you don't even pick up the phone and call the jets.

If you're the Jets,  does it really matter?   Woody is the owner and he seems intent on not giving the guy big bucks.  And from a team perspective, giving Revis QB type money isn't worth it anyway.   So the reality is, you trade him now and get picks for him.   Or you wait and lose him for nothing.

I'm not the GMs of these teams so I don't have to decide.    

And this is the risk anybody will have to make.  Do you think Revis will be Revis or do you think he'll be a has been?

If you think he's Revis, then you trade picks for him.  If you think he won't be the old Revis, you don't even pick up the phone and call the jets.

If you're the Jets,  does it really matter?   Woody is the owner and he seems intent on not giving the guy big bucks.  And from a team perspective, giving Revis QB type money isn't worth it anyway.   So the reality is, you trade him now and get picks for him.   Or you wait and lose him for nothing.

"Woody is the owner"

This is the NY Jets main problem!

If that conditional pick winds up being a fourth rounder, then having Revis play for the team in 2013 probably wouldn't've helped very much.

Exactly.

Not that I don't want more than a 2nd and a conditional 4th, but if it ends up that we only get that 4th, than the reality is, we won on that trade because Revis is toast and we got 2 picks for him.  If Revis goes back to the player he was (ie, the one who couldn't cover Stevie Johnshon ;)).  Then we should get the first and you get a high second in this draft and a 1st in next years draft from a team that's still not likely a playoff team.  That probably ends up being a good deal for us.

Oh, except that 2013 isn't over, and the Jets might end up being contenders!  Yeah, that!

"Woody is the owner"

This is the NY Jets main problem!

What exactly is Woody doing wrong here?

He's not being cheap by not paying Revis, as he spends the money every year regardless.  He's sick of Revis taking his money and demanding more of it the moment his yearly number dips, despite his guarantees and averages.  Revis never bargained in good faith and Woody is sick of it.  Can't say I blame him.

What exactly is Woody doing wrong here?

He's not being cheap by not paying Revis, as he spends the money every year regardless. He's sick of Revis taking his money and demanding more of it the moment his yearly number dips, despite his guarantees and averages. Revis never bargained in good faith and Woody is sick of it. Can't say I blame him.

If you think I ment he is the problem because of just the Revis situation your nuts. Woody has done nothing but turn this whole franchise into a league wide joke from the day he took over!

You're just wrong, plain and simple. 100% wrong.

Now is the time to trade him.

we can't say anything with 100% certainty. there will be injuries. What if a contender loses their #1 CB to injury? 

Actually I can say 1 thing with 100% certainty if the jets trade revis for a 2nd and whatever it's gonna look ridiculous. (And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous)

we can't say anything with 100% certainty. there will be injuries. What if a contender loses their #1 CB to injury? 

Actually I can say 1 thing with 100% certainty if the jets trade revis for a 2nd and whatever it's gonna look ridiculous. (And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous)

In your opinion perhaps.  Yet it's not even debatable that they'll look a million times more ridiculous if they surpass multiple picks, which could turn into a far better package than you are desperately trying to sell as the definitive offer, just to bring him back for one year to a mediocre team and subsequently get absolutely nothing for him when he's gone after that.

Archived