Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

Good luck with that. Though $30 million of Bucs cap room could help, how does that fly for any fan base, tying up that much cap room in a corner?

if reading nyjetscap has taught me anything, it's that the Bucs are a cash to cap team, which works well with Revis' desire to always be paid the most. I can't explain that last sentence but I can repeat it. 

As for the Tampa Bay Bucs fan base, no one goes to the stadium or turns on their TV to see cap space.  

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet this well run team, the 49ers, is supposedly one of the teams lining up to give up draft picks for the rights to sign the guy to whatever crazy contract he and his agents demand before they start holding out.

I haven't read anywhere that the 49ers are lining up. They showed some interest, but it doesn't seem they want to part with a ton of picks for him and at this point it doesn't seem like they are interested in paying him some big salary.  

More like the Bucs and Eagles are the front runners. Maybe Vikings steal the show..

Yet this well run team, the 49ers, is supposedly one of the teams lining up to give up draft picks for the rights to sign the guy to whatever crazy contract he and his agents demand before they start holding out.

mort said 9ers were never in it

if reading nyjetscap has taught me anything, it's that the Bucs are a cash to cap team, which works well with Revis' desire to always be paid the most. I can't explain that last sentence but I can repeat it. 

As for the Tampa Bay Bucs fan base, no one goes to the stadium or turns on their TV to see cap space.  

Or a cornerback.

revisis the next deion

he'll be a raider eventually, and will probably play fo 4 teams in his career

I could totally see Revis becoming a straight up merc, just taking the highest bidder year after year to the team that thinks they are a CB away from a SB.

dude from Philly Inquerer reported, Ian Rappaport from NFL.com denies and says it's  "fluid situation" 

you all know how I feel about this trade

all im gonna say else is please don't let the Jets get ripped off. 

Now that you're 'resigned to your fate', what would make you feel ok as far as compensation?

NY Jets get set to trade Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis in effort to re-build struggling franchise, the Daily News has learned

Sources have told the News for weeks that the Jets have no intention of giving Revis a long-term contract. The best time to trade cornerback will be in the hours leading up the the start of free agency.

Comments (3)

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:48 AM

Updated: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:48 AM.

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Darrelle Revis appears ready to race out of the Big Apple as NY Jets look to re-build with trade.

The Jets and Darrelle Revis are headed for a divorce.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green is poised to trade the Pro Bowl cornerback in the coming days at the right price in its first significant step to re-build the franchise.

Sources have told the News for weeks that owner Woody Johnson has no intention of signing Revis to a long-term contract extension.

Although Revis’ health complicates matters – he’s less than five months removed from ACL surgery – the best window to deal him is during free agency, which starts Tuesday at 4 p.m., before the already-select market for Revis dries up.

“I think (the Jets are) going to move Revis,” a source familiar with the situation told the News on Tuesday. “Bet it. If he isn’t traded by tomorrow, (general manager John) Idzik is an idiot. One buyer might dry out. He has to move him. The risk of keeping him kills the franchise for five years and Idzik is gone.”

ProFootballTalk.com reported on Monday night that the Jets had a “good” trade offer on the table for Revis that would satisfy the team’s desire to get sufficient draft pick compensation and the Revis camp’s need to sign a long-term deal. The report also indicated that the Revis camp was unaware of the offer.

The NY Jets have no plans to keep Darrelle Revis and are shopping him around for the right trade.

The News reported last week that there were a couple of “legitimate buyers” willing to trade for Revis when the new league year and trading period officially Tuesday. A source told the News this week that the Jets would like to deal him to an NFC team.

Revis, who is in the final year of a $4-year, $46 million deal struck after a 36-day holdout in 2010, will likely command $12 million-$16 million per season as part of a new long-term contract.

Revis has never asked to be traded, but this much is certain: The Jets aren’t willing to pay him top dollar.

The Jets, who intentionally avoided the Revis camp at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis two weeks ago, haven’t opened the lines of communication with the cornerback’s representatives to try to negotiate a long-term deal to remain “A Jet for Life.”

Johnson declined to discuss the Revis situation on Monday in an NFL event in New York, telling reporters that he’d address the matter “next week” at the league meetings in Arizona. Revis, of course, may not be on his team at that point.

“Woody Johnson is never paying him,” a source told the News this week.

A Revis trade would rob head coach Rex Ryan (l.) of his best player.

Time, however, isn’t necessarily on the Jets’ side.

The few interested teams that have the desire and resources to trade for Revis will address their cornerback needs during free agency if Idzik isn’t willing to pull the trigger now. The window to trade Revis may close if the Jets wait too long.

But what is adequate compensation for an elite player coming off injury?

The Seahawks were willing to trade the Vikings their first-round pick in this year’s draft (25th overall) for wide receiver Percy Harvin on Monday, but the circumstances were much different. The Vikings took a risk by trading a dynamic player within the conference to another playoff team.

The Revis compensation for the Jets, who are entering a rebuilding phase, will be different. The Jets may not be able to get a first-round pick now… or ever.

It’ll be up to Johnson and Idzik to determine whether the offer(s) on the table are good enough to trade away the face of their franchise now.

They’ve shopped him. They want to move him during free agency.

But will the Jets pull the trigger?

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ready-deal-revis-rebuild-team-article-1.1285899#ixzz2NKmq6QqI

Manish ******* Mehta lol

Now that you're 'resigned to your fate', what would make you feel ok as far as compensation?

Seattle got a 1st rounder for Percy, the Jets should be able to get the same.  I'd be happy with that and say, a 3rd or 4th round pick but who the **** knows?  The media has been almost trying to drive down his cost with all these leaks of how hard he's going to be to move b.s. 

The whole Raven situation brings clarity to the Revis trading.  They are losing players left and right because of the Flacco contract.  Granted, he's a QB so you assume its worth it but that makes the Revis situation almost a no-brainer.  You cant pay a CB, QB money and expect to be solid at every position and/or deep. Especially when you have Cro and given the FA market is loaded with CB talent. 

I haven't read anywhere that the 49ers are lining up. They showed some interest, but it doesn't seem they want to part with a ton of picks for him and at this point it doesn't seem like they are interested in paying him some big salary.  

More like the Bucs and Eagles are the front runners. Maybe Vikings steal the show..

mort said 9ers were never in it

So we don't believe that the Niners would trade picks or pay Revis (because Mort said so!) but we believe that Revis will not pay for less than $16M when that number was only quoted by some no nothing twitter junkie as part of a "demanding $12M-$16M" quote.  That's the only place I saw it and now it is fact.  If I were his agents I would be using these damn quotes as a bargaining tactic.

I could totally see Revis becoming a straight up merc, just taking the highest bidder year after year to the team that thinks they are a CB away from a SB.

Yep. A cash-up-front mercenary on a series of two-year deals.

You're disgusting. 

CBS in Tampa Bay is reporting it might be a 2nd this year, and a conditional next

BREAKING NEWS: Buccaneers Likely Revis Destination, Must Happen Soon

By: Justin Pawlowski

March 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Reporting Justin Pawlowski

Filed under
Bucs, NFL, Sports

Related tags
Darrelle Revis, Greg Schiano, New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After possessing one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history in 2012, it is no secret that the Buccaneers had planned to attack the secondary market both in free agency and in the NFL draft.

How about a trade?

According to profootalltalk.com, the Jets have one serious trade partner for Darrelle Revis, and that team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

98.7 The Fan’s Justin Pawlowski heard similar information of the Bucs interest in Revis at the end of last week.

If the two sides can come to an agreement, it appears the Buccaneers would trade for the four-time pro bowler and three-time All Pro selection.  The compensation in the trade is not confirmed, but might entail a 2nd round selection in the 2013 NFL draft and a conditional 4th round selection in the 2014 NFL draft.

The contract negotiations between Revis’ agent Neil Schwartz and Mark Dominik should be nothing new to these two.  Schwartz is also Vincent Jackson’s agent and negotiated Jackson’s big deal with the Bucs a year ago in free agency.

Late last week, ESPN’s Ed Werder reported the Jets would not receive a 1st round selection for Revis. Adam Schefter reported that the Jets were “determined” to trade Revis.

Revis, 27, is coming off of a torn ACL in his left knee, so medical is also a concern.  Mark Dominik has shown a willingness to risk on injured players in the past.

In 2009, the Buccaneers traded a 2nd round selection for Kellen Winslow despite his multiple knee injuries.

In the 2011 NFL draft, the Buccaneers selected Adrian Clayborn in the 1st round and Da’Quan Bowers in the 2nd round, both of whom had medical concerns.

If this trade becomes a reality, Revis would be reunited with his college head coach, Dave Wannstedt, and his college position coach, Jeff Hafley.

The Buccaneers will not have time to stall as they must sign other cornerbacks if the Revis deal falls through.

For the latest Buccaneer news tune to 98.7 The Fan.

For updates on the Buccaneers off-season moves in free agency and the NFL Draft, be sure to follow Justin Pawlowski and 98.7 The Fan on twitter.

So we don't believe that the Niners would trade picks or pay Revis (because Mort said so!) but we believe that Revis will not pay for less than $16M when that number was only quoted by some no nothing twitter junkie as part of a "demanding $12M-$16M" quote.  That's the only place I saw it and now it is fact.  If I were his agents I would be using these damn quotes as a bargaining tactic.

Almost every sports news source claims the $13-16 Million from Espn to NFL to various local news papers, to other blogs, twitter feeds, etc.

It's not like one person said it and it's not found anywhere else.   Maybe it's all made up, but the 49ers were 'interested' for a second and then not interested.   And now they trade a 6th rounder for Boldin and seem to have no interest in Revis.    Like I said, the 49ers were a TD catch from winning the super bowl without Revis,  they were a botched special teams play away from making the super bowl with Alex Smith,  do they really need to spend $16 Million on him to be a contender again?  No,   They would be a hell of a lot better with Revis, but that's assuming they don't dump anybody else because of Revis.   A

And at 13-$16 Million,  we've already seen what signing Flacco to a huge deal does to a team.  A super bowl winning team.  

You start to cut good players who helped you win that super bowl.   

CBS in Tampa Bay is reporting it might be a 2nd this year, and a conditional next

BREAKING NEWS: Buccaneers Likely Revis Destination, Must Happen Soon

By: Justin Pawlowski

March 12, 2013 3:44 PM

Reporting Justin Pawlowski

Filed under

Bucs, NFL, Sports

Related tags

Darrelle Revis, Greg Schiano, New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After possessing one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history in 2012, it is no secret that the Buccaneers had planned to attack the secondary market both in free agency and in the NFL draft.

How about a trade?

According to profootalltalk.com, the Jets have one serious trade partner for Darrelle Revis, and that team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

98.7 The Fan’s Justin Pawlowski heard similar information of the Bucs interest in Revis at the end of last week.

If the two sides can come to an agreement, it appears the Buccaneers would trade for the four-time pro bowler and three-time All Pro selection.  The compensation in the trade is not confirmed, but might entail a 2nd round selection in the 2013 NFL draft and a conditional 4th round selection in the 2014 NFL draft.

The contract negotiations between Revis’ agent Neil Schwartz and Mark Dominik should be nothing new to these two.  Schwartz is also Vincent Jackson’s agent and negotiated Jackson’s big deal with the Bucs a year ago in free agency.

Late last week, ESPN’s Ed Werder reported the Jets would not receive a 1st round selection for Revis. Adam Schefter reported that the Jets were “determined” to trade Revis.

Revis, 27, is coming off of a torn ACL in his left knee, so medical is also a concern.  Mark Dominik has shown a willingness to risk on injured players in the past.

In 2009, the Buccaneers traded a 2nd round selection for Kellen Winslow despite his multiple knee injuries.

In the 2011 NFL draft, the Buccaneers selected Adrian Clayborn in the 1st round and Da’Quan Bowers in the 2nd round, both of whom had medical concerns.

If this trade becomes a reality, Revis would be reunited with his college head coach, Dave Wannstedt, and his college position coach, Jeff Hafley.

The Buccaneers will not have time to stall as they must sign other cornerbacks if the Revis deal falls through.

For the latest Buccaneer news tune to 98.7 The Fan.

For updates on the Buccaneers off-season moves in free agency and the NFL Draft, be sure to follow Justin Pawlowski and 98.7 The Fan on twitter.

I heard something like this, didn't want to believe it.   A 2nd this year and a conditional 4th that could turn into a 2nd or 1st next year.

Kind of a bad deal for the Jets.

I heard something like this, didn't want to believe it.   A 2nd this year and a conditional 4th that could turn into a 2nd or 1st next year.

Kind of a bad deal for the Jets.

If it's a 2nd this year, and a 4th next year that turns into a 1st if he is healthy, and they get him signed I'm OK with it. 

It's an early second rounder, and I don't really think The Bucs are going to be much better next year Revis or no Revis. If is just a 2nd and a 4th, not to happy 

If it is a 2nd and a 4th, that's just terrible.  I'd say let him play out his deal, and get compensation when he signs elsewhere in 2014, but that opens him up to signing with the Pats -- and you know that is the way it will play out.

Or a team who thinks they are a season or two away and can sign him long term(bucs).

If it is a 2nd and a 4th, that's just terrible.  I'd say let him play out his deal, and get compensation when he signs elsewhere in 2014, but that opens him up to signing with the Pats -- and you know that is the way it will play out.

It could be a 4 that turns into a 1 based on playing time for Revis. 

It could be a 4 that turns into a 1 based on playing time for Revis. 

I would imagine its more complex than that.  

Who would actually trade for Revis, sign him to some long term max deal,  and not expect him to play.    

Because giving away a 4th rounder or a 1st rounder at that point really doesn't matter if Revis is only playing in 10 games after giving the guy 50 Million in guaranteed money.

For the Jets, who cares, for the Bucs, it has to be more complex than basing it on just playing in 16 games.

Yup.

1st+ or bust.

If this deal is based off of hoping a team can sign Revis long term instead of knowing they can,  no team would part with a #1.

Plus the 4th that could turn into a 1 is partially based on the fact nobody knows if he's healthy or if he'll be back to being Revis again. 

If this deal is based off of hoping a team can sign Revis long term instead of knowing they can,  no team would part with a #1.

Plus the 4th that could turn into a 1 is partially based on the fact nobody knows if he's healthy or if he'll be back to being Revis again. 

Then keep him.

If this deal is based off of hoping a team can sign Revis long term instead of knowing they can, no team would part with a #1.

Don't care. Nope. This is Idzik's Ferrari. You don't deduct $50k off the sale price because it might need brakes. Let the new owner worry about brakes.

Almost every sports news source claims the $13-16 Million from Espn to NFL to various local news papers, to other blogs, twitter feeds, etc.

It's not like one person said it and it's not found anywhere else.   Maybe it's all made up, but the 49ers were 'interested' for a second and then not interested.   And now they trade a 6th rounder for Boldin and seem to have no interest in Revis.    Like I said, the 49ers were a TD catch from winning the super bowl without Revis,  they were a botched special teams play away from making the super bowl with Alex Smith,  do they really need to spend $16 Million on him to be a contender again?  No,   They would be a hell of a lot better with Revis, but that's assuming they don't dump anybody else because of Revis.   A

And at 13-$16 Million,  we've already seen what signing Flacco to a huge deal does to a team.  A super bowl winning team.  

You start to cut good players who helped you win that super bowl.   

$13-16M is not $16M

Archived