Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

I have been told numerous times by brilliant minds on this site that the Jets had the #2 pass defense in the league last year. Rex Ryan willed it this way through masterful motivation.

What more do we need? This team was excellent without Revis, we just needed a mediocre qb to make the SB run.

Those l experts talking about a top 2 pass D are the people who want to trade Revis so I can understand the disdain in this post. They don't get that we are decades away and the way to solve it is cap space.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, yeah Cromartie is pretty much Revis. That's the new sell this offseason. Yet another thing I don't buy.

Btw the two wins answer was made up. I figured I would try something different and make up a number with full confidence. I'm going to keep repeating it THO because it's as legitimate as 16.

Also his years to max out his pay are very, very finite. The Jets will be able to be cheap and coy on plenty of other players not nearly as good.

With Revis last season the Jets wind up....  6-10.     

With Revis this season and how its looking,  4-12.

As great as Revis is, what's the difference on a team that goes 6-10 or 4-12 with or without Revis?   

Trading Revis for a boatload of high picks this year and next, means they can start building a foundation, building a future.

Keeping him just means they'll have to pay him $16 million or lose him for nothing next year.  And still be 4-12.

With Revis last season the Jets wind up.... 6-10.

With Revis this season and how its looking, 4-12.

Yep, that post happened. Not even the first time it's happened. This post is from the mind of T0mShane, a powerful one that controls a large portion of The Hive/Nation.

This from the guy that predicted two more wins because of Revis without offering a shred of evidence that supports that claim. Did you have some sort of brain injury? When I first started posting here I thought you were a very bright guy.

No one needs evidence anymore. Just say stuff and others will catch on. The 2013 Jete are 4-12.

No one needs evidence anymore. Just say stuff and others will catch on. The 2013 Jete are 4-12.

Nobody knows what the Jets record will be, but the way things are going, it might be one of those long seasons.  You never know

Sanchez could have a breakout year or Garrard could have a comeback player of the year award.  And Rex coaches up the ragtag remainders on his defense and Idzik drafts will.   

But you do realize all those theories are based on the QB and offense playing well,

Rex coaching up players who aren't as talented as the past Jets defenses, etc.   None of it relates to Revis being on the team or not.

Revis on the Jets....

4-12

9-7

9-7

11-5  *** held out, missed a couple of games due to injury... Jets still won those games

8-8

6-10 *** injured for most of the season

Over his career, the Jets avg about 8 wins per season.    

You can make the excuse that its all about the team, but the problem is when you pay a guy $16 million per year,  it becomes about them.

If Manning  was good but the Broncos finished 8-8, people would have called him out.  They'd have claimed its a bad move.

If Flacco and the Ravens wind up 9-7 or 10-6 and struggle, people are going to call out Flacco.

If the Jets go 6-10 with Revis,  nobody really would blame Revis for the Jets woes.  they'd blame Sanchez or the lame duck coach or somebody else.   That's why you dont pay a guy $16 million who really has no stake in the wins/loses of a team.   You can't build around a guy who won't be responsible if the team wins or loses.   The CB position is one of those positions that help a good team win, it doesn't help a bad team win.   

No one knows but they're going to be 4-12. Still with the 16 million. These are the kind of posts I'm dealing with.

The Jets with Revis are 16 and 0. He's willing to play for free. I'm going to repeat this as fact from now on.

In fairness, everyone else has to deal with your posts.

Wow that post actually...So because people would blame Sanchez for losses...Revis makes no impact? The Jets went 6-10 without Revis...but will go 4-12 with him because 2007. The *******...this is logic? This is considered a legit thought process?

People blame Tony Romo and his HCs alot. DeMarcus Ware is a non-factor in winning and losing.

Who ******* really believes this stuff...

Anyway the Jets will be 16-0 with Revis playing for free.

Wow that post actually...So because people would blame Sanchez for losses...Revis makes no impact? The Jets went 6-10 without Revis...but will go 4-12 with him because 2007. The *******...this is logic? This is considered a legit thought process?

People blame Tony Romo and his HCs alot. DeMarcus Ware is a non-factor in winning and losing.

Who ******* really believes this stuff...

Anyway the Jets will be 16-0 with Revis playing for free.

i think its better to look at when we lost him this year. Did we miss him in the games he missed? sure. 12-16m dollars worth of missing? not even close.

With Revis last season the Jets wind up....  6-10.     

With Revis this season and how its looking,  4-12.

As great as Revis is, what's the difference on a team that goes 6-10 or 4-12 with or without Revis?   

Trading Revis for a boatload of high picks this year and next, means they can start building a foundation, building a future.

Keeping him just means they'll have to pay him $16 million or lose him for nothing next year.  And still be 4-12.

What are the Powerball numbers for next week?

No one knows but they're going to be 4-12. Still with the 16 million. These are the kind of posts I'm dealing with.

The Jets with Revis are 16 and 0. He's willing to play for free. I'm going to repeat this as fact from now on.

We do know the Jets went 6-10 without Revis and the Defense didn't turn into crap. 

We do know the Jets went 8-8 with Revis and Cromartie.  

We do know the Jets finished 9-7 twice with Revis.

We do know the Jets went 4-12 with Revis.

We also know the 49ers and Ravens played in a super bowl without Revis.

We do know Revis held out, threatened to hold out, and wants to be the highest paid defensive player.  

And we do know without Revis next season the 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, Falcons will be considered super bowl contenders.

What do we know about the Jets with Revis next season?   That they won't have a franchise QB.  That won't have a ton of stud players.

They will have a lame duck head coach who is a losing season away from being fired.  

And as great as Revis is,  the Jets will finish 4-12 or 12-4 because of everybody else, not because of him.

What are the Powerball numbers for next week?

With Revis the year before they finished 8-8.  

Does Revis suddenly turn Sanchez into a Franchise QB ?   No.

The Jets lost a game 14-10.  They won a game 7-6.   

Revis on the jets defense does what?  They give up only 3 points?   Yeah that's realistic.

As we saw in the playoffs and super bowl,  winning teams were scoring 30+ points a game.  

Losing Teams were scoring close to 30 points a game.

The Jets offense struggled to score 14.  And Sanchez fumbled and turned the ball almost 30 times last year.

With or without Revis the Jets were a 6-10 team because the QB sucked.  Again, since when did Revis make Sanchez a franchise HOF QB?

With Revis the year before they finished 8-8.  

The year before that with Revis they go 11-5. The year before that they go 9-7. The year before that they go 9-7. 

Does Revis suddenly turn Sanchez into a Franchise QB ?   No.

Why and how is this in any way relevant?

The Jets lost a game 14-10.  They won a game 7-6.   

Ah, the Titans and Cardinals. Powerhouses. Hell of a bar. 

Revis on the jets defense does what?  They give up only 3 points?   Yeah that's realistic.

Has the defense in elite territory sooner rather than later again. Has them higher than 18th in defensive turnovers. You know...impactless things. 

The year before that with Revis they go 11-5. The year before that they go 9-7. The year before that they go 9-7. 

Why and how is this in any way relevant?

Ah, the Titans and Cardinals. Powerhouses. Hell of a bar. 

Has the defense in elite territory sooner rather than later again. Has them higher than 18th in defensive turnovers. You know...impactless things. 

This is my point.  You don't pay a guy $16 Million per year to go 9-7 and 8-8 and never win a division.

The Broncos paid Manning $18 million per year to compete for a super bowl. To win a division. To be the #1 seed.

And to do that for a few years.     His career has shown thats what he's capable of.

What does paying Revis $16 million per year give the Jets?  About 8 wins ?

This is my point.  You don't pay a guy $16 Million per year to go 9-7 and 8-8.

What are you talking about?  The Bills paid Ryan Fitzpatrick $60M to got 6-10.  The Eagles paid Asomugha how much to go 4-12?  The Raiders paid him more and they dreamed of an 8-8 season.  You pay good players.  I can see worrying about allocation of resources, but acting like Revis won't make a difference is silly.  Kaepernick and Flacco aren't exactly Rodgers and Brady and I can tell you that the Niners and Ravens would have loved to have Revis.  If the Broncos or Niners had Revis there is a pretty good chance the Ravens don't win, but hey, corners don't win games.  Why even field a team? The QB sucks.  Fold up the tents.  

This is my point.  You don't pay a guy $16 Million per year to go 9-7 and 8-8 and never win a division.

Which is the head narrative you've chosen to write already. That would not be the goal when locking up a guy who is firmly in the best defensive player in the league conversation and in the pool for best player in the league. Believe it or not, that would not be the last move the league will let the Jets make until the contract runs out (or herp he holds out because 2010).

The Broncos paid Manning $18 million per year to compete for a super bowl. To win a division. To be the #1 seed.

They didn't win a Super Bowl. The Broncos won the division at 8-8 the year before. Therefore, Manning made no real impact.

And to do that for a few years.     His career has shown thats what he's capable of.

15 seasons, two Super Bowls, one victory, and minimal impact on the Broncos' chances in 2012. I'm just using science.

What does paying Revis $16 million per year give the Jets?  About 8 wins ?

One player can lock us in for 8 wins and that only costs 16 millions? I'll take it. That's a hell of a base. 

What are you talking about?  The Bills paid Ryan Fitzpatrick $60M to got 6-10.  The Eagles paid Asomugha how much to go 4-12?  The Raiders paid him more and they dreamed of an 8-8 season.  You pay good players.  I can see worrying about allocation of resources, but acting like Revis won't make a difference is silly.  Kaepernick and Flacco aren't exactly Rodgers and Brady and I can tell you that the Niners and Ravens would have loved to have Revis.  If the Broncos or Niners had Revis there is a pretty good chance the Ravens don't win, but hey, corners don't win games.  Why even field a team? The QB sucks.  Fold up the tents.  

Yeah and Ryan just gut cut and the Bills haven't made the playoffs in eternity.  And they signed Mario to a huge contract last year, how'd that work out?   Asomugha did what for the Eagles and Raiders?      

Revis is a great player and he does make a difference. But not for $16 million per year.    If you're using those other guys as an example, it kind of proves that signing guys to massive contracts usually results in teams that don't win.

And while the Ravens and 49ers would have loved to have Revis and would still love to have Revis, last time I checked, both just played in the super bowl without him. And both teams could have won that game.  The Broncos lost because their young CB choked.   If Revis were on the Broncos, probably means Bailey isn't, which probably means the same young CB gets burned.   We've seen the Jets get beat down or lose games plenty of times because the other CBs got burned.   

there is no question Revis would make the 49ers, Broncos, Ravens, etc better teams.   But if it means you have to cut 3 other decent players because of the money he's asking for, it means he better be worth that kind of money.     We will see if Flacco is worth the big contract.   If Flacco signs a more favorable contract, they might still have Boldin.  Instead Boldin is gone for a 6th rounder and Flacco makes $20 million per year.

In a cap based league, I don't believe in forging over so much money for one player if those players aren't Manning or Brady or Rodgers, etc.  Guys like that can win you games even with bad defenses.    That's the difference.   Players that can turn a franchse around or turn that team into a super bowl contender are far more valuable than paying a CB $16 million per year.  

Even as great as Revis is, the Jets aren't going to be that much better with their roster.   And at $16 million, it means players like Cromartie are probably on the short list to be gone.   Similar to the Ravens ordeal.  You can't pay one guy a boatload of money and not cut good players.  

The Ravens are assuming Flacco is Montana and Brady.     The Jets paying Revis $16 Million are assuming something similar from a CB.

Oh ok, hadn't seen anything yet.  Who was reporting that?

dude from Philly Inquerer reported, Ian Rappaport from NFL.com denies and says it's  "fluid situation" 

you all know how I feel about this trade

all im gonna say else is please don't let the Jets get ripped off. 

rotoworld is reporting this as the Jets got the draft pick compensation they wanted but the trade is not complete because Revis needs a new deal. or something. 

now all the people who hate Revis' agents have to root for Revis' agents to be reasonable. 

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Darrelle Revis will be traded to the Bucs, but "details just need to be ironed out."

If True, and the Bucs are really flying DaShon Goldson out tomorrow.  They just went from the worst pass defense in the leage, to a really really good one.  

Mark Barron

DaShon Goldson

Ronde Barber in slot

Darelle Revis

and,

doesn't matter who else. 

Look, any defense will be greatly improved if a healthy Revis takes on the other team's best wideout all game. The issue is that as valuable under the cap as you might pay a  primo QB. And simply you cannot justify that salary to a corner under the cap. And can a team with this crappy a level of talent can afford to pay Revis to the exclusion of not paying for other positions, even if you fill them with JAGs. Heck we're paying Sanchez, Harris and Keller top dolalr for Jag production or worse, ad the rest of the team is filled with les than JAGs starting.

Yeah and Ryan just gut cut and the Bills haven't made the playoffs in eternity.  And they signed Mario to a huge contract last year, how'd that work out?   Asomugha did what for the Eagles and Raiders?      

Revis is a great player and he does make a difference. But not for $16 million per year.    If you're using those other guys as an example, it kind of proves that signing guys to massive contracts usually results in teams that don't win.

And while the Ravens and 49ers would have loved to have Revis and would still love to have Revis, last time I checked, both just played in the super bowl without him. And both teams could have won that game.  The Broncos lost because their young CB choked.   If Revis were on the Broncos, probably means Bailey isn't, which probably means the same young CB gets burned.   We've seen the Jets get beat down or lose games plenty of times because the other CBs got burned.   

there is no question Revis would make the 49ers, Broncos, Ravens, etc better teams.   But if it means you have to cut 3 other decent players because of the money he's asking for, it means he better be worth that kind of money.     We will see if Flacco is worth the big contract.   If Flacco signs a more favorable contract, they might still have Boldin.  Instead Boldin is gone for a 6th rounder and Flacco makes $20 million per year.

In a cap based league, I don't believe in forging over so much money for one player if those players aren't Manning or Brady or Rodgers, etc.  Guys like that can win you games even with bad defenses.    That's the difference.   Players that can turn a franchse around or turn that team into a super bowl contender are far more valuable than paying a CB $16 million per year.  

Even as great as Revis is, the Jets aren't going to be that much better with their roster.   And at $16 million, it means players like Cromartie are probably on the short list to be gone.   Similar to the Ravens ordeal.  You can't pay one guy a boatload of money and not cut good players.  

The Ravens are assuming Flacco is Montana and Brady.     The Jets paying Revis $16 Million are assuming something similar from a CB.

Yet this well run team, the 49ers, is supposedly one of the teams lining up to give up draft picks for the rights to sign the guy to whatever crazy contract he and his agents demand before they start holding out.

rotoworld is reporting this as the Jets got the draft pick compensation they wanted but the trade is not complete because Revis needs a new deal. or something. 

now all the people who hate Revis' agents have to root for Revis' agents to be reasonable. 

Good luck with that. Though $30 million of Bucs cap room could help, how does that fly for any fan base, tying up that much cap room in a corner?

Or for the Bucs to be willing to cave in to whatever Revis' demands are.  I may not want to see the Jets pay too much for him, but the Bucs can feel free to pay him $30 million / year for all I care.

Archived