Quinton Coples: DE/OLB?

SenorGato

In today's Star Ledger:

Ryan, on a conference call with fans, said there is a possibility that drafting Sheldon Richardson could knock Quinton Coples out to an edge rusher position. Ryan worked 

Coples out as an outside linebacker at the combine in 2012.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/04/rex_ryan_john_idzik_spend_day.html

Coples put up the following numbers at the combine:

6'6" 284

4.78 40

109" Broad Jump

31.5 Vertical

7.57 3 Cone

25 Bench reps

4.78 Shuttle

Really this probably means more DE for Coples unless they're asking him to drop weight to improve his explosiveness. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coples did fine last year. Why **** with where he lines up???

Rex doesn't ever keep guys in the same spots, he's always moving people around.  So this shouldn't be a surprise.  We need to make sure all 3 get on the field as much as possible.  If this is how we do it, I'm fine with it.  Rex is the master with DL.

Rex doesn't ever keep guys in the same spots, he's always moving people around. So this shouldn't be a surprise. We need to make sure all 3 get on the field as much as possible. If this is how we do it, I'm fine with it. Rex is the master with DL.

Hopefully it works out

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/quinton-coples-90/

According to that link he did his Pro Days in the 270's. He ran a 4.75 at 272 and went through drills.

In today's Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/04/rex_ryan_john_idzik_spend_day.html

Coples put up the following numbers at the combine:

6'6" 284

4.78 40

109" Broad Jump

31.5 Vertical

7.57 3 Cone

25 Bench reps

4.78 Shuttle

Really this probably means more DE for Coples unless they're asking him to drop weight to improve his explosiveness. 

All those numbers I saw were accurate, except for I saw the combine report list his weight and 40 yard differently:

40: 4.69

20: 2.69

10: 1.63

Boy, I hope they make Coples drop 20 pounds so he can try and play OLB and then they figure out that he can't play at the lighter weight and then they scratch their heads and wonder what's wrong with Coples.

It is a very unlikely scenario to see him drop weight, but with his speed he should see some DE/OLB-esque duties. 

We need to make sure all 3 get on the field as much as possible.

Bingo. 

And I assume they're talking about standing him up in amoeba formations, which we did a fair amount last year. I doubt he sees significant snaps at LB, particularly in our base defense.

Boy, I hope they make Coples drop 20 pounds so he can try and play OLB and then they figure out that he can't play at the lighter weight and then they scratch their heads and wonder what's wrong with Coples.

This isn't like Vernon Gholston and Aaron Maybin, Tom.  It's not a reclamation project.  It's a guy who already has the skillset and 3x more talent.

^I thought his best position was DT in the 4-3. He seemed overmatched lined up outside at DE. IMO, he's a better matchup for guards who can't handle his quickness.

That was in college when technique could be an issue. He's got a couple of decent teachers in the pros with Ryan and Dunbar.

At 6'6, his weight is just fine. At 4.75 forty, he doesn't need to lose weight. It might help with his speed, but Jets figure to be playing both 4-3 and 3-4 D. For this hybrid D, Coples should maintain his weight to play DE when we switch to our base D.

It would give us more of an competitive advantage to have Coples on the outside (as a DE mot OLB) with Richardson and Wilkserson playing DT. But like someone mentioned he's better suited against the less athletic weak side Gs. As a pass rusher against LT don't see him being as superior as he was inside. Traditionally you want to place a guy like Coples on the strong side as he would match up perfectly against the run and pass vs those big RTs. That's why Mario Williams demanded to be a strong side DE. Only problem with Coples is that he  told Rex that he hate playing strong side end (???).

^I thought his best position was DT in the 4-3. He seemed overmatched lined up outside at DE. IMO, he's a better matchup for guards who can't handle his quickness.

This is, unfortunately, dead on. I'm sorta once again hanging on Rex's words tht he can change/fix it.

Not sure how but we'll see I guess.

I think you're gonna see a lot of moving parts of a 5-2 with constant shifting and disguises along a front of....

DL: Coples - Richardson - Garay/Ellis - Wilkerson - Pace/Barnes/McIntyre

LB: Harris - Davis                

I hate everyone that posts here except you.

I have no clue how these people watch Rex's D for 4 years, and then need to compartmentalize every player into fitting a 4-3 or 3-4. 

You black right? You can be my BA Barrac-Hess.

not at OLB.

4-3 look (running downs) 

Coples - Garay/Ellis - Richardson - Wilkenson

Nickel downs: 

Coples - Richarson - Wilkenson - Barnes/Pace 

This is pretty much it, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Coples get some occasional reps at OLB in 3-4 sets, as Rex loves to move people all over the place and it would give the Jets an opportunity to still get as many of these guys on the field as possible, but it won't be anything close to full time.  Wilkerson isn't going to be coming off the field much, but you'll probably see a rotation between the other DL with regularity, with Wilk/Richardson/Coples as the 3-man line on pass downs.

I think you're gonna see a lot of moving parts of a 5-2 with constant shifting and disguises along a front of....

DL: Coples - Richardson - Garay/Ellis - Wilkerson - Pace/Barnes/McIntyre

LB: Harris - Davis                

Shifting out of the Okie with lots of variations is going to drive offenses nuts.  I think our guys are versatile enough to pull this off.

Of all the many legitimate things to give Rex crap for, his handling of DL doesn't come close to qualifying.  If anything, it's pretty much the one area he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Rex loves his dad's old 46. And with these players I have to assume we'll see more of it this season.

Ellis at nose, Richardson and Wilkerson at Tackle, with Coples as a rush end. Harris could do a decent Singletary impression as MLBer, with Landry moving into the box. Pace and Barnes over the TE and you're set.

Sean Ellis in reverse

This is pretty much it, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Coples get some occasional reps at OLB in 3-4 sets, as Rex loves to move people all over the place and it would give the Jets an opportunity to still get as many of these guys on the field as possible, but it won't be anything close to full time.  Wilkerson isn't going to be coming off the field much, but you'll probably see a rotation between the other DL with regularity, with Wilk/Richardson/Coples as the 3-man line on pass downs.

Pace did not come off the field last year - Pace, Harris, and Wilks were in >95% of the plays

I don't see that changing this year

So I am not sure you have it correct here

I think Richardson will sit and coples before Pace

Rex Ryan has forgot more about Football than every single person on this board knows about Football.  Especially on defense.  If he thinks he can use Coples to rush the passer from the OLB spot, then I'm inclined to believe him.  Besides, Rex's scheme is all about versatility

Richardson reminds me of a lighter Mo Wilk. Ideally we will have "Big Mo" and "Lil Mo" here in another year.

Coples did fine last year, but lets see him play the Suggs role, standing up like Maybin did. Worse case scenario he still takes up 2 blockers.

Wilk takes 2, Rich takes 2. I'm not good at math, but that's three guys occupying 6, thats a good thing, no?

Pace did not come off the field last year - Pace, Harris, and Wilks were in >95% of the plays

I don't see that changing this year

So I am not sure you have it correct here

I think Richardson will sit and coples before Pace

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I was referring to those true full-time linemen (Wilk, Coples, Ellis, Garray, Richardson) as opposed to the OLB/DE types.  In the case of the 3-man pass rush line I was referring to, Pace would still likely be lined up at OLB, or at DE with Wilk sliding inside on 4-man lines.  Although as others have pointed out, it's not as though the Jets are going to be fully committed to any particular alignment on a full-time basis, as they never have before.  With all of that said, with another year under his belt and Barnes being brought in, I wouldn't be shocked to see Pace's workload decreasing this year.

Rex loves his dad's old 46. And with these players I have to assume we'll see more of it this season.

Ellis at nose, Richardson and Wilkerson at Tackle, with Coples as a rush end. Harris could do a decent Singletary impression as MLBer, with Landry moving into the box. Pace and Barnes over the TE and you're set.

...and supposing the other team passes the ball?

...and supposing the other team passes the ball?

It's not legal to pass while lying on the ground.

The 46 is weak against the (short) pass, which is why no team would think about using the 46 as a base defense these days. But it still has it's uses, and like I said: Rex loves it.

Yea the defense was amazing last year, couldn't believe how good the passrush was.

And he knows every part of the game better then me.

Well, that pass rush did allow the 2nd best pass D.

Richardson reminds me of a lighter Mo Wilk. Ideally we will have "Big Mo" and "Lil Mo" here in another year.

Coples did fine last year, but lets see him play the Suggs role, standing up like Maybin did. Worse case scenario he still takes up 2 blockers.

Wilk takes 2, Rich takes 2. I'm not good at math, but that's three guys occupying 6, thats a good thing, no?

Wilk and Sheldon's raw numbers are almost identical, with Richardson  being a couple inches shorter and a bit more explosive; but their 40/20/10 yard splits and agility drills were almost identical.  Obviously Wilk has transitioned himself to become a fantastic player, but as far as prospects coming out of college, you'd have to give it to sheldon hands down; better conference and more explosive.  If Wilkerson can teach Coples and Richardson his work ethic, the line is going to be pretty damned beastly.  That's also not to forget that Kenrick Ellis was at once considered a 1st round talent prior to his arrest; he's had no off-field issues since then, so as long as he can stay healthy, those four guys are definitely our future.

Archived