Mornhinweg praises Geno

Jetsfan80

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People want this, I don't want this. I'd like Sanchez to start at least the first month of the season. Take the lumps while the OL gels with the new guards, the rest of the offense gets up to speed in a new system, all during the roughest stretch of the schedule. It just makes sense. Let Geno get a feel for the pro game from the bench for a while before getting thrown in there.

Oh yeah now that the draft is over I agree with slats again! Yeah, this^.

I'm tired of Sanchez, too, but I'm not entirely sure that it's pissing away games to start him the first month or two of the season. I also don't really care, as I see this season as a rebuilding year, anyway.

But the reason you do it, regardless, is to try to avoid destroying Geno's fragile, eggshell mind before he's ready. Better to start him when the rest of the offense is starting to get it together, and the competition is a little easier. Geno seems, to me, like a guy who needs to be coddled. After years of Sanchez, I was hoping the Jets would avoid such a QB, but they didn't. So now that he's here, they should coddle him a little bit. Let him learn on the sidelines for half a season. It can only help him.

what if he doesnt outplay sanchez in practice? Do we just roll with sanchez the rest of the year?

what if he doesnt outplay sanchez in practice? Do we just roll with sanchez the rest of the year?

I think that unless Sanchez is leading the Jets on a playoff run, they should give Geno a chance after the bye and/or once they're eliminated - regardless of how he might look in practice. They'll want to see him in live action before making another major QB move.

I think that depends.  It is quite possible that Sanchez continued to outplay Tebow and McElroy in practice all of last year.  Still they benched him for McElroy when he kept buttfumbling and trying to give away games where our defense was playing historically well.  If Sanchez is the best of a bad lot, fine.  If he is playing best in practice and sh*tting the bed in unreal fashion, they will pull him.  

The one danger is Rex.  I like Rex, but he is more than likely on the hot seat.  Smith may do better with some time on the bench, but Rex probably can't wait and risk Sanchez sh*tting away more winable games. Smith may give the team the best chance to win, but it may not be in the team's long term best interest to play him immediately

all the coaches are always impressed they simply will NOT knock a player to the media unless said player is a complete thug a$$hole and is on his way out.

In other words what the Jets staff say now about anything means absolutely NOTHING. We will know the decision when its made and then all the speculation will be put to rest.

personally I think you learn a lot about a QB who is under pressure and if Geno wins the Job outright, we will certainly learn a lot about how he handles a bad situation. I say start the kid, evaluate how he responds, and move forward from there. We need to know now if this kid has the goods or not and usually the good to great QB's respond fairly quickly. if he does not respond or the team does not like how he handles things internally hopefully they know what they have to do or not do in next years draft.

All that being said I think what Slats is saying makes sense. Start Sanchez and if he sh*ts the bed as usual put Geno in and give him 1/2 to 3/4 of the season to show us something. If he does, great if he does not some tough decisions will have to be made next year.

All that being said I think what Slats is saying makes sense. Start Sanchez and if he sh*ts the bed as usual put Geno in and give him 1/2 to 3/4 of the season to show us something. If he does, great if he does not some tough decisions will have to be made next year.

that makes so much more sense than starting Geno and having to go back to Sanchez for whatever reason. The expectation that Geno will start and be instant-good doesn't really jive with the schedule, the history of players taken in the 2nd round, or with Geno Smith's experience coming out of the Air Raid.

Plus the fact that Mark is still getting paid way more than Geno. It takes huge balls to cut a guy 8.5 mil and let him sit on the bench. 

I'm tired of Sanchez, too, but I'm not entirely sure that it's pissing away games to start him the first month or two of the season. I also don't really care, as I see this season as a rebuilding year, anyway.

But the reason you do it, regardless, is to try to avoid destroying Geno's fragile, eggshell mind before he's ready. Better to start him when the rest of the offense is starting to get it together, and the competition is a little easier. Geno seems, to me, like a guy who needs to be coddled. After years of Sanchez, I was hoping the Jets would avoid such a QB, but they didn't. So now that he's here, they should coddle him a little bit. Let him learn on the sidelines for half a season. It can only help him.

Another not-insignificant factor in support of sitting Geno: the entirety of the sports media is gearing up to shred the Jets early on this year, and are going to tear them hard for any misstep. Hell, I read three different articles this week describing the Yankees/ARod fiasco as "Jet-like." It's almost unfair to put Geno in that line of fire early on and expect him to develop quickly. Let the ire fall on Sanchez and Rex where it belongs, and spare Geno having to see himself getting buried in the papers under the headline "Ge-NOT!"

Another not-insignificant factor in support of sitting Geno: the entirety of the sports media is gearing up to shred the Jets early on this year, and are going to tear them hard for any misstep. Hell, I read three different articles this week describing the Yankees/ARod fiasco as "Jet-like." It's almost unfair to put Geno in that line of fire early on and expect him to develop quickly. Let the ire fall on Sanchez and Rex where it belongs, and spare Geno having to see himself getting buried in the papers under the headline "Ge-NOT!"

I'm excited for "Ge-OH, NO!"

First off, I'm in total agreement with you that Geno has upside and Mark has none.

That said, I understand your perspective on this, but I think the Jets' perspective is that with all things being equal, and their being likely to lose those games regardless of who is at QB, then they're going to take the approach of doing what is best for Geno as he is potentially the future franchise QB.  They don't want to rush or pressure him if they feel he isn't ready.  What's 4 games in what will probably be a forgetable season anyway if it can make the difference between developing a QB prospect into a quality starting QB versus one who struggles and never reaches his potential?

They want to give him every opportunity to succeed.  Besides, since many of the Jets veterans seem to favor Sanchez anyway, I'm not sure the team is having to ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB they know is going to lose.

First off, I'm in total agreement with you that Geno has upside and Mark has none.

That said, I understand your perspective on this, but I think the Jets' perspective is that with all things being equal, and their being likely to lose those games regardless of who is at QB, then they're going to take the approach of doing what is best for Geno as he is potentially the future franchise QB.  They don't want to rush or pressure him if they feel he isn't ready.  What's 4 games in what will probably be a forgetable season anyway if it can make the difference between developing a QB prospect into a quality starting QB versus one who struggles and never reaches his potential?

They want to give him every opportunity to succeed.  Besides, since many of the Jets veterans seem to favor Sanchez anyway, I'm not sure the team is having to ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB they know is going to lose.

I respect both yours and Slats positions.  And I may be crazy, but I am not so sure this is a forgettable season.  I think Rex has the makings of a real good defense here.  We my not have to score a lot early to win some games.  Why just let them go?  I am also not sure that Geno possesses a fragile ego.  I think if they let him know what their expectations are he can deal with it.  And he is far more athletic than Mark, who has become little more than a brown spot on the turf at home.  He might be able to make the kind of escape plays we never see from Sanchez, who fetal positions at the first sign of trouble.  Geno is not a pure runner, but he is athletic.

Yes, but Rex is singing the same tune.  So they'd both be liars. 

Pretty much.  I think in general, the team would rather rally behind a guy learning and growing then a guy who's essentially playing himself out of the league.

If Rex makes the decision (and it's decision to make) I still don't understand why you think Idzik would be a liar.  Rex, I get, even though I'm surprised that you would criticize him since you like him so much.

I respect both yours and Slats positions.  And I may be crazy, but I am not so sure this is a forgettable season.  I think Rex has the makings of a real good defense here.  We my not have to score a lot early to win some games.  Why just let them go?  I am also not sure that Geno possesses a fragile ego.  I think if they let him know what their expectations are he can deal with it.  And he is far more athletic than Mark, who has become little more than a brown spot on the turf at home.  He might be able to make the kind of escape plays we never see from Sanchez, who fetal positions at the first sign of trouble.  Geno is not a pure runner, but he is athletic.

I respect yours as well.  Believe me, I secretly hope that Geno will be ready, can handle whatever comes his way, and will flourish and be the Jets' franchise QB going forward.  If I never had to see Mark Sanchez on the field again for the Jets, I'd be a very happy man.  

Further, I'm not sure I agree with Slats that Geno's ego is so fragile, either.  I'm primarily basing my thoughts/opinion on what the "experts" said about Geno, that he needed to work on his fundamentals and sit for a while.  I just want him to have every possible chance to succeed.  It would be huge if he would develop into a topflight starting QB.  The Jets would have him really cheap for the next 4 years, they wouldn't have to use their #1 on a QB in the 2014 draft, and with the right additions via FA and the draft in 2014 could be poised to be legit contenders for the next 5-10 years.  I guess I just believe in taking things a little bit more slowly and cautiously and if anything, erring on the side of caution.  I'm not gonna let my disdain for and lack of faith in Sanchez cause me to want the Jets to start Geno prematurely.

I'm not sure that it would have made a whole heck of a lot of difference with Sanchez, but I do think it would have made at least some difference with Sanchez, and he would have been a passable or average NFL QB if they hadn't rushed him onto the field his rookie season AND he had a decent QB Coach and OC.  Since none of those things happened, I don't think there's a lot of hope for Sanchez going forward, but do think Mornhinweg can improve him to the point where he will significantly cut down on the turnovers and be somewhat of an asset to the offense rather than a detriment.

The defense has had a lot of turnover, but the prospects are tantalizing.  They have more talent, speed and athleticism than any Jets' D has had in a long, long time.  It may take some time, but I do think that they, especially with Rex calling the plays and being more aggressive, will develop into a top 5 D in time.  Whether that is this season or next is another matter.

The team is counting on a number of older cheap vets, some of whom are more injury prone to come through in a big way for them.  If they can all stay healthy and play well, the Jets could do a lot better than anyone expects.  If they don't, it could be a long season.

I think that unless Sanchez is leading the Jets on a playoff run, they should give Geno a chance after the bye and/or once they're eliminated - regardless of how he might look in practice. They'll want to see him in live action before making another major QB move.

so were you a fan of not starting tebow? Idk i just hope they are consistent if tebow didnt play because sanchez was better in practice. Geno shouldnt play unless hes better in practice then

I think that depends.  It is quite possible that Sanchez continued to outplay Tebow and McElroy in practice all of last year.  Still they benched him for McElroy when he kept buttfumbling and trying to give away games where our defense was playing historically well.  If Sanchez is the best of a bad lot, fine.  If he is playing best in practice and sh*tting the bed in unreal fashion, they will pull him.  

The one danger is Rex.  I like Rex, but he is more than likely on the hot seat.  Smith may do better with some time on the bench, but Rex probably can't wait and risk Sanchez sh*tting away more winable games. Smith may give the team the best chance to win, but it may not be in the team's long term best interest to play him immediately

whatever gets us to 0-16 and keeps rex

we draft clowney and sign jay cutler..... SUPER BOWL!!!!

I respect yours as well.  Believe me, I secretly hope that Geno will be ready, can handle whatever comes his way, and will flourish and be the Jets' franchise QB going forward.  If I never had to see Mark Sanchez on the field again for the Jets, I'd be a very happy man.  

Further, I'm not sure I agree with Slats that Geno's ego is so fragile, either.  I'm primarily basing my thoughts/opinion on what the "experts" said about Geno, that he needed to work on his fundamentals and sit for a while.  I just want him to have every possible chance to succeed.  It would be huge if he would develop into a topflight starting QB.  The Jets would have him really cheap for the next 4 years, they wouldn't have to use their #1 on a QB in the 2014 draft, and with the right additions via FA and the draft in 2014 could be poised to be legit contenders for the next 5-10 years.  I guess I just believe in taking things a little bit more slowly and cautiously and if anything, erring on the side of caution.  I'm not gonna let my disdain for and lack of faith in Sanchez cause me to want the Jets to start Geno prematurely.

I'm not sure that it would have made a whole heck of a lot of difference with Sanchez, but I do think it would have made at least some difference with Sanchez, and he would have been a passable or average NFL QB if they hadn't rushed him onto the field his rookie season AND he had a decent QB Coach and OC.  Since none of those things happened, I don't think there's a lot of hope for Sanchez going forward, but do think Mornhinweg can improve him to the point where he will significantly cut down on the turnovers and be somewhat of an asset to the offense rather than a detriment.

The defense has had a lot of turnover, but the prospects are tantalizing.  They have more talent, speed and athleticism than any Jets' D has had in a long, long time.  It may take some time, but I do think that they, especially with Rex calling the plays and being more aggressive, will develop into a top 5 D in time.  Whether that is this season or next is another matter.

The team is counting on a number of older cheap vets, some of whom are more injury prone to come through in a big way for them.  If they can all stay healthy and play well, the Jets could do a lot better than anyone expects.  If they don't, it could be a long season.

I am prepared for either outcome. The prospect of Front Four rush is making my mouth water, and I think we will have it in pass rushing situations.  To me, if Geno shows the ability to take care of the ball during the summer, that would be enough for me to offer him the starting job.  So much of last year's failure revolved around the Turnover Machine.  The year before as well.  I also think that the OL will come along quickly because we only have one rookie who might start. The idea of a short passing game, a QB who does not materialize INTs from nowhere, and a strong defensive performance, gives me hope.  Having Fumbles out there for the first 5 or 6 games is a waking nightmare.

Secondly, all Idzik, Rex, Marty and anyone affiliated with the NY Jets is preaching "open competition", if Geno out plays Sanchez and earns the starting job, he's a liar if they go with Sanchez.  Not a good way for a GM to start his career.

If you are saying that a rookie GM will have ultimate say over a 5th year HC, over who the starting QB is, then you might as well kiss Rex goodbye. That would be the ultimate slap-down.

If you are saying that a rookie GM will have ultimate say over a 5th year HC, over who the starting QB is, then you might as well kiss Rex goodbye. That would be the ultimate slap-down.

New regimes generally mean new QB's.  So while Rex has the final say in who starts, it would be hard to believe he doesn't have it in the back of his mind that Geno ultimately will be the guy sooner rather than later. 

Sanchez won't be on the roster in 2014.  Geno will.  Idzik very much has the say on THAT eventuality.

so were you a fan of not starting tebow? Idk i just hope they are consistent if tebow didnt play because sanchez was better in practice. Geno shouldnt play unless hes better in practice then

Tebow didn't play because he was already proven to be an absolutely awful QB that the head coach wanted nothing to do with and really had no place on this team.  Geno is hoped to be the QB of the future, so even if Sanchez starts the season, barring some shocking turnaround that magically turns Sanchez into a competent player, at some point it's going to be time to see what they've got in Geno so they can figure out what they're going to do with the QB position in FA and the draft in 2014.

Tebow didn't play because he was already proven to be an absolutely awful QB that the head coach wanted nothing to do with and really had no place on this team.  Geno is hoped to be the QB of the future, so even if Sanchez starts the season, barring some shocking turnaround that magically turns Sanchez into a competent player, at some point it's going to be time to see what they've got in Geno so they can figure out what they're going to do with the QB position in FA and the draft in 2014.

idk about that. Tebow you could say had "potential" because of his success the season prior. They didnt just keep sanchez in they completely skipped over him

The best player plays even if that turns out to be sanchize (who i hate).

as far as 2014 we go 0-16 get clowney sign jay cutler and win the super bowl

idk about that. Tebow you could say had "potential" because of his success the season prior. They didnt just keep sanchez in they completely skipped over him

The best player plays even if that turns out to be sanchize (who i hate).

as far as 2014 we go 0-16 get clowney sign jay cutler and win the super bowl

Meh, we'll never agree when it comes to Tebow.  As far as I'm concerned, Tebow was the only starting QB in the league who was unquestionably worse than Sanchez that year.  He was on a team who was barely winning games in which the offense routinely contributed next to nothing.  The guy's completion percentage was about 10% worse than Sanchez's (which was also awful) for crying out loud.  Not exactly signs of "success" of a QB if you ask me.

Besides, just because someone is the best player on the practice field doesn't necessarily make them the best player on game day.  If Sanchez looks like the utter garbage we've seen him as on the field again but looks great in practice, at a certain point that really doesn't mean crap.  Ultimately, they still benched Sanchez for a second year 7th round pick last year because of how awful Sanchez was.  I'm pretty sure Rex didn't come to a sudden realization that McElroy was better in practice that week when he benched Sanchez in the middle of the Cardinals game.  If Sanchez sucking is enough reason to bench him when there's no other feasible options at QB on the roster, it sure as hell will be reason enough to do it again when you have your (hopefully) QB of the future on the roster.

What incentive is there to go with Sanchez?  He's about to look like dogsh** for his 5th consecutive training camp after his 4th consecutive sh***y season.

There is none, other than Rex's puppy dog loyalty.

OK, maybe you can make the argument that Geno should be "eased" in-but that is not Rex's style any way.

Archived