Geno winning battle despite awful conditioning?

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222982/article/baldinger-geno-smiths-conditioning-is-embarrassing

Baldinger: Geno Smith's conditioning is 'embarrassing'

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: July 29, 2013 at 03:44 p.m.
  • Updated: July 29, 2013 at 04:44 p.m.

NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger watched Geno Smith at New York Jets practice this weekend and came away impressed. Well, mostly impressed.

"He looked good to me yesterday until he ran gassers at the end of practice," said Baldinger, who attended Jets training camp in Cortland, N.Y., on Sunday. "And Geno Smith looked like he had done no conditioning. It was actually embarrassing to see how far behind he was behind (Mark) Sanchez and (Matt) Simms and everybody else that's there."

The rookie quarterback was more impressive during the parts of practice that count most.

Added Baldy on Monday's "Inside Training Camp": "However, he did look good getting in and out of the huddle, getting to the line of scrimmage, getting the ball out of his hands quickly."

Baldinger's comments provide a reminder of how much scrutiny Smith faces as he attempts to win a starting job in his first NFL training camp. NFL Network analyst Heath Evans was in Cortland on Monday, pointing out the difference in arm strength between Sanchez and Smith.

"You see a lot of accuracy, a lot of zip on the ball obviously from Geno," Evans observed. "You see some balls sailing, or what I would say floating, for Mark Sanchez."

It's early, but it feels like we're seeing early signs of a tide turning Smith's way in this competition. Rex Ryan praised Smith for playing mistake-free football in team drills. Antonio Cromartie is praising Smith's ability to pick up the offense.

Sanchez needs to show himself to be a superior candidate, and we don't have any evidence he's done that yet. Starting jobs aren't won in gasser races.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Maybe he has some kind of bug.

He turned down a Subway endorsement-fired the people who lined it up for him, actually-because he was repelled at the way they sold processed meat.  Sounds like a health-conscious type guy.  Seems very inconsistent with someone who would show up in camp out of shape.

I'm watching NFL Network right now, they reported this and then went to Heath Evans on the field with Geno.  Didnt ask him a question about it.  lmfao

Asked him about West Coast Offense - Geno talked about the history of the offense, Bill Wash, 49'ers etc

Asked him about his longest call which was something like "spread right 5, tom shane licks my balls, shadow light, tom likes penis, blue 42"

Asked him about the terminology - Geno just talked about the learning curve.

I gotta say, the kid is impressive.  He carries himself well.  Presents well.  Very articulate.  Nothing seems to big for him.  And he's looks great throwing the Football.  Dude's got a smooth classic behind the ear motion.  Its pretty.  And that ball comes out spinning.  Gets there in a hurry.  If he's got the mental make up...I dunno man.  

Racist

He sure is but I don't think he meant it that way this time. 

He's from that cesspool Jacksonville where anyone who can complete their Chick Fil-A order using 3 "uums" or less is considered articklet.

He's from that cesspool Jacksonville where anyone who can complete their Chick Fil-A order using 3 "uums" or less is considered articklet.

Pretty much, even though, I'm from New York.

But the surprise comes more from the fact that he grew up in Miramar and he went to school in West Virginia.  Seems like a deadly recipe for elegant public speaking.

Rookies are almost always in worse shape than veterans.  Veterans know the grind of the season, are older, have had more time to work on conditioning.

Geno had to finish school, work out for teams to prepare for the draft, then begin learning the West Coast Offense, work on taking snaps from under center, work on his footwork dropping back, etc.  He's had a TON of other things to focus on, while many of the vets (especially on the defensive side of the ball) could focus solely on conditioning.  I'm not worried about Smith's conditioning.  Besides, Baldinger is known to be a jerk at times.  I take what he says with a grain of salt, and who knows maybe Geno was gassed because of all the extra time and work he's been putting in working on his fundamentals and conditioning when other players are relaxing.

Maybe he has some kind of bug.

He turned down a Subway endorsement-fired the people who lined it up for him, actually-because he was repelled at the way they sold processed meat.  Sounds like a health-conscious type guy.  Seems very inconsistent with someone who would show up in camp out of shape.

Maybe he's one of those flithy vegans.  They pass out all the damn time. Gross.

Reverse racist.

Archived