Cannizzaro: Now's a Good Time to Start Taking Jets Seriously

flgreen

Now’s a good time to start taking Jets seriously

By Mark Cannizzaro

September 23, 2013 | 9:34pm

Now’s a good time to start taking Jets seriously

Soaring! Santonio Holmes and Rex Ryan’s Jets are sitting at 2-1 after Sunday’s 27-20 victory over the Bills, and Post columnist Mark Cannizzaro writes it’s time for Gang Green to be taken seriously.

Mark Cannizzaro

This is not a time to install the Jets as a favorite to become the first team in NFL history to serve as the home team in a Super Bowl. Alas, perspective prevails.

But perhaps it is time to cease with the mocking and the laughter that has been associated with the mere mention of the Jets for the better part of the last two seasons and begin to take them at least a little bit seriously.

Maybe now that they have won two of their first three games in a season that was supposed to be a loss before it began, the Jets can send the clowns, jugglers and circus elephants away from Florham Park for good.

Yes it is true, the teams the Jets have beaten en route to 2-1 and a game out of first place in the AFC East — the 0-3 Buccaneers and the 1-2 Bills — are not exactly league powers.

But was there a person on this planet who predicted before the season that, through three weeks of the season, the Jets would be far and away better than the Giants, who are in early crisis mode at 0-3 and staring at a game against the 3-0 Chiefs Sunday in Kansas City?

When Jets coach Rex Ryan, formerly the bombastic ring leader of the Florham Park circus who — as if performing a magic trick — has transformed to buttoned-up corporate company man, walked into the press room on Monday to conduct his daily media briefing, he paused and looked around a barren room that included just a few writers and one TV camera, from SNY, the team’s TV partner.

“Explain to me why when we win there’s only one camera in here and when we lose there are about 15 of them?’’ Ryan mused.

When he was informed the press room at the Giants practice facility — where the vultures were circling the carcass left from a 38-0 blowout loss in Carolina — was at SRO capacity, Ryan smiled knowingly, but did not take the bait and follow with a snide comment.

Ryan has reason to smile three games into a season during which he was perceived to be dead coach walking, coaching for his job. He still is on audition for new general manager John Idzik, of course, but the results at the moment favor Ryan signing a contract extension by Christmas.

His team has not come close to playing a complete game yet, but has won two of them. You would not be out of line to suggest the Jets got both of their wins in spite of themselves.

For the cynics and non-believers in the room, it should be noted the Jets were also 2-1 after three games last year, similarly coming off an AFC East win over the Dolphins. And we all know how that turned out (6-10 and organizational tumult).

But there are three significant differences from last 2012 to 2013 that figure to be a sign of better things to come for these Jets.

First, the Jets lost the best player on their roster for the season in the Week 3 Miami game when cornerback Darrelle Revis blew out his knee.

Second, a week later, the Jets lost their best offensive player, receiver Santonio Holmes, for the season to a foot injury.

Third and most important as it relates to this team, is rookie quarterback Geno Smith, still very much a work in progress, has a higher ceiling of talent than former starter Mark Sanchez, who was on the downside last year.

Yes, Smith, with six interceptions and a lost fumble, is committing turnovers at the same alarming rate Sanchez did the last two seasons. But you just see more upside the rookie is going to get better, that there is more potential for explosive offensive plays.

The Jets’ No. 4-ranked defense, which is younger, faster and nastier than it was the last two years, has already shown it is going to keep the offense close enough to have a chance to win every game.

Positive signs like these are the reason Jets veteran linebacker Calvin Pace, who has been through winning and losing with the Jets, said this after Sunday’s win: “What you’re seeing is just the tip of iceberg.’’

Maybe he knows something.

Rex Ryan took the organization to an AFC championship game with a rookie QB in Mark Sanchez. Now that was with a bottled up offense barley any deep passing lots of running and a fierce defense. Right not we have a fierce defense, an ok running game that could be good if one guy gets healthy, lead by a rookie QB who isn't bottled up, able to strike deep, and so far looking good in the pocket. If the WRs can stay healthy and not drop passes let me tell you anything is possible in this league this year because right now Denver is the only real powerhouse. (I'm still holding on Seattle till I see them on the road more)

Rex Ryan took the organization to an AFC championship game with a rookie QB in Mark Sanchez. Now that was with a bottled up offense barley any deep passing lots of running and a fierce defense. Right not we have a fierce defense, an ok running game that could be good if one guy gets healthy, lead by a rookie QB who isn't bottled up, able to strike deep, and so far looking good in the pocket. If the WRs can stay healthy and not drop passes let me tell you anything is possible in this league this year because right now Denver is the only real powerhouse. (I'm still holding on Seattle till I see them on the road more)

We may beat the Tampas and the Buffalos with the kind of sideline mismanagement we have shown---we will not beat good teams or win big games (if we play them--LOL) with crazy challenges and mishandling of timeouts.

Chicago has a shot too.

We may beat the Tampas and the Buffalos with the kind of sideline mismanagement we have shown---we will not beat good teams or win big games (if we play them--LOL) with crazy challenges and mishandling of timeouts.

Got to beat the bad teams in order for the games against the good teams to even matter.  Nice to see the Jets winning ugly and not  loisng when the play down to their opponents. 

Got to beat the bad teams in order for the games against the good teams to even matter.  Nice to see the Jets winning ugly and not  loisng when the play down to their opponents. 

Exactly.  We were SUPPOSED to be one of the terrible teams.  Why would anyone argue we're "playing down to our opponents" unless that meant we have the ability to be a good team or actually ARE a good team?

I wish SOJFs would STFU on this issue.  If the F'ing refs would do their job and call the fumble this would have been a non issue.  I love Rex, warts and all.

“Explain to me why when we win there’s only one camera in here and when we lose there are about 15 of them?’’ Ryan mused.

When he was informed the press room at the Giants practice facility — where the vultures were circling the carcass left from a 38-0 blowout loss in Carolina — was at SRO capacity, Ryan smiled knowingly, but did not take the bait and follow with a snide comment.

I love me some Rex Ryan! :yes:

Isn't it funny how 2 wins out of 3 can completely turn the head on a media narrative that was pervasive for past year and a half?

Yet there are no mea culpas being issued. 

Yesterday on 1st and 10, Stephen A. Smith and Howdy Doody both agreed the Jets were not a circus with Doody going so far as to compare this year's Jets with the Giants 2011 Super Bowl team. Neither one of them mentioned that they both thought ill of the Jets and ripped them on air just three short weeks ago. 

Not reading.  Done with the media.  **** off.  

All Rex has done his entire HC'ing career is proved year after year, you need to take his teams seriously.  He's been in the playoff hunt every year, this year wont be different, yet the laughs pile up all offseason when there is nothing to talk about.

Meanwhile, the 49'ers are imploding.  Frank Gore is at odds with Harbaugh who trying to prove he made right with Kap.  Harbaugh is an absolute buffoon, starting fights at mid-field, literally losing his mind in press conferences, talking sh*t about opposing players he'd gladly take on his team in a heartbeat and dumping the most efficient and highest winning percentage Qb in the league and his best player is an alcoholic.  

Ravens had a party buss with strippers that turned into a brawl and Jacoby Jones got a bottle broken over his head by a dancer named Sweet Pea.

Where's those articles?

Exactly.  We were SUPPOSED to be one of the terrible teams.  Why would anyone argue we're "playing down to our opponents" unless that meant we have the ability to be a good team or actually ARE a good team?

Nothing new for the Jets to be picked as the worst team in the league and come out and beat teams to surprise everyone.  Also nothing new for us to be picked to be good and we underachieve.  "underdogs for life player!!"

Ravens had a party buss with strippers that turned into a brawl and Jacoby Jones got a bottle broken over his head by a dancer named Sweet Pea.

Where's those articles?

Really,\??

I havent been on a party bus in years. We used to do bachelor parties that way. Great food, drink and "entertainment" Honestly gives me more respect for them! You know that was a gooood party.

Not reading.  Done with the media.  **** off.  

All Rex has done his entire HC'ing career is proved year after year, you need to take his teams seriously.  He's been in the playoff hunt every year, this year wont be different, yet the laughs pile up all offseason when there is nothing to talk about.

Meanwhile, the 49'ers are imploding.  Frank Gore is at odds with Harbaugh who trying to prove he made right with Kap.  Harbaugh is an absolute buffoon, starting fights at mid-field, literally losing his mind in press conferences, talking sh*t about opposing players he'd gladly take on his team in a heartbeat and dumping the most efficient and highest winning percentage Qb in the league and his best player is an alcoholic.  

Where's those articles?

How come no one is even mentioning Aaron Rodgers' and Mike McCarthy's shouting match during Sunday's game against the Bengals?

How come no one is even mentioning Aaron Rodgers' and Mike McCarthy's shouting match during Sunday's game against the Bengals?

The same reason that nobody is mentioning that Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow have more 4th quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers and that Aaron Rodger and McCarthy are 5-17 in games decided by 4 points or less?

Good stories dont matter when you're too busy making sh*t up about the Jets.

The same reason that nobody is mentioning that Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow have more 4th quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers and that Aaron Rodger and McCarthy are 5-17 in games decided by 4 points or less?

Good stories dont matter when you're too busy making sh*t up about the Jets.

Statistics are a muthufukka.

4th quarter comebacks are hard to come by when you are leading most games?

Just a guess.

Nothing new for the Jets to be picked as the worst team in the league and come out and beat teams to surprise everyone.  Also nothing new for us to be picked to be good and we underachieve.  "underdogs for life player!!"

The Jets have always been at their best as underdogs.  Super Bowl III is one of the greatest upsets of all time.

the evil part of me is enjoying, somewhat!, that the midgets are 0-3.  And on one level I enjoyed being reminded in that article about that comparison, the New York media thing, and even Rex enjoying hearing about SRO at the midgets PC.

But...

My head reminds me it has really nothing to do with how the prospects look for the Jets.  Like I say when the Giants are doing better, they are not even in the jets' conference let alone division.  When it's a New York press issue when it makes the Jets look bad, it still is when the Jets look good.

Still enjoying the Giants being 0-3, though.  Heh.

Just a guess.

That's entirely the point. The Packers win only when they carry a lead into the 4th quarter. Aaron Rodgers has never led them to a 4th quarter comeback win. But nobody ever mentions it. 

He's probably the best QB in NFL history to never lead his team to a 4th quarter comeback. 

Is that true? 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-23/aaron-rodgers-not-clutch-fourth-quarter-comeback-failures-5-17-close-games

The Green Bay Packers have won a lot of games and a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers as their quarterback. But they still have trouble winning the close ones.

The Packers' 34-30 heartbreaking loss at Cincinnati on Sunday provided that reminder. Rodgers now has a 5-17 record as a starter in games decided by four or fewer points. It's true that wins and losses are more of a team statistic, but for someone who's regarded as the best passer in the league, it's one surprising number. But it goes further than that. Rodgers also has had only five successful fourth-quarter comebacks throughout his otherwise great career. 

It’s not shocking that Peyton Manning (a record 38), Tom Brady (27), Eli Manning (24), Ben Roethlisberger (22) and Drew Brees (20) have more, given their credentials as fellow Super Bowl winners with longer careers.

But given Rodgers' level of play overall, it's a little more startling that other current starters—Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford—all rank ahead of him on the active list.

Or that in just a short time, Andy Dalton (whose Bengals just got the better of Rodgers late), Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson all have as many, five.

Here's the real kicker: Maligned Mark Sanchez has twice as many (10) fourth-quarter comebacks for the Jets, and Tim Tebow, out of the league at the moment, still has one more from his Broncos "Tebowmania" days.

Does this mean Rodgers isn't as good as all those quarterbacks? Of course not. A game tilting in the fourth quarter has much to do with other offensive players executing and defenses setting up a good final chance. Also, in most weeks, given the explosive nature of Green Bay's offense, Rodgers' early-game brilliance (see the sizzling first half against the Redskins in Week 2) means he hasn't needed to save his best for last.

This season, however, the Packers will likely be in a lot more tight games in a strong NFC and playing more of the tough AFC North. If they plan to be a real conference contender, they'll need to count on Rodgers to come through head-to-head against one of those other quarterbacks.

Just a guess.

Kind of ignoring that 5-17 part, don't you think?

As long as you win the close one's too, it doesn't matter.  However, you're going to have a close game here and there -- especially with that defense.  Brady, Brees, Manning -- all have the ability to come from behind and/or hold on the leads (and have all had equally as bad if not worse defenses).  

All 3 have "led most games" over the past several years, yet they pull off the close games more often than not.

Fine, remove the 4th quarter comebacks what about the fact they're 5-17 in games decided by 4 points or less?  Thats an ugly stat.

Agree, yes it does seem ugly but in order to put it in context I would like to see the recent records of every NFL  team in games decided by 4 pts or less. If I had to guess i would say Green Bay is somewhere around the median but I am too lazy to research it.

Also, regarding any stat that says Mark Sanchez and T.T. have more 4th quarter comeback wins than Aaron Rogers only diminishes the the value of 4th quarter wins.

Archived