Is Coples another Vernon Gholston?

joewilly12

I hated to make this post but im wondering if and when this guy has a breakout game and improves this defense. Anyone else worried?

I already stated in many of my posts of my worries about Coples.  I think the best scenario for us at this moment to hope for is that he is out of position.  Right now he look as miserable at OLB as was the case with Vernon. 

Yup. and isn't he playing out of position right now, too?

This is the biggest problem.  Coples was very effective as a down lineman before genius Rex decided to move him to OLB this season, based on nothing other than wishful thinking.   So now the guy has worked his ass off to trim down and play a position where he was doomed from the start -- he will never play well in space.  Never.  While he would not be starting out from absolute zero if they move him back to the DL, it sure wastes more than a full season (this season and part of next) while he re-adapts.  If they do not move him back, he might as well be Gholston, based strictly on wasting up and coming talent by playing him out of position.  Dumbest personnel move ever by Rex.

Could he be out of position at LB? He had a decent rookie year at DL.

1.  I don't think his rookie year was particularly good.  He showed promise, but not much production.  Just like now.

2.  Maybe he is out of position, but people keep telling me this is a rebuilding year.  What better time to have him learn OLB?  

I don't think he is particularly miscast.  He isn't going to be blanketing TEs, but I don't see anything that Calvin Pace can do that Coples can't.    

1.  I don't think his rookie year was particularly good.  He showed promise, but not much production.  Just like now.

2.  Maybe he is out of position, but people keep telling me this is a rebuilding year.  What better time to have him learn OLB?  

I don't think he is particularly miscast.  He isn't going to be blanketing TEs, but I don't see anything that Calvin Pace can do that Coples can't.    

So? Pace is a sh*tty OLB too. The numbers and the eye test both suggest Coples has no edge game whatsoever.

Pace was a decent OLB for two different defensive systems.  If that is Coples floor he will do more at OLB than DE here.  Do you think he might improve after some experience at the position?

Not really, no. I'm one of the biggest Coples apologists here, but the numbers overwhelmingly suggest he doesn't have the athleticism to be an edge rusher. SackSEER is far from perfect, but it's way down on him (as is this superior formula, though there you'll have to do the math yourself). The early eye-test returns aren't exactly promising, either. The only reason to think it'll work is the persistent belief that Rex is some kind of sorcerer.

Not really, no. I'm one of the biggest Coples apologists here, but the numbers overwhelmingly suggest he doesn't have the athleticism to be an edge rusher. SackSEER is far from perfect, but it's way down on him (as is this superior formula, though there you'll have to do the math yourself). The early eye-test returns aren't exactly promising, either. The only reason to think it'll work is the persistent belief that Rex is some kind of sorcerer.

It's an interesting formula, but one that they basically had to reformat so as to try to make JPP's career a little less crippling to their prognostications. They whiffed on Jerry Hughes and Brandon graham and while they have retroactively nailed some like Suggs, Mario Williams and Peppers, they gave guys like Bryan Thomas and Courtney Brown similar grades.  Since much of it is based off of explosion, I would imagine Coples' who weighed in at close to 290 wouldn't fair as well, but I can get on board with OLB not being a natural position for him.  He's best used like he was against the Bills, pretty much all over the place.  I still see a kid who's hurrying and getting some hits on the QB: I'll probably give it a full season before I judge the move.  And as Dom said, it's a rebuilding year, what better season to find out if it works or not than this one.

He's athletic in a DL kind of way, quick hands and long body, with decent footwork.  What he doesn't have is twitch.  He can't change direction well, because he's too damned tall and lanky for that.  He has a high center of gravity so his is lower body is always behind his upper body...not a problem if he's engaged, but in space he'll always be "catching up" instead of flowing to the ball.  There was only one Lawrence Taylor.  And Coples is more Jason Taylor.  Without the sack(s).

I hated to make this post but im wondering if and when this guy has a breakout game and improves this defense. Anyone else worried?

this could be the worst thread ever started in JN :P

Vernon Gholston could be the worst football player I have ever seen how does that translate to Coples ??

Sure some might expect more from Coples Some like myself may even think hes playing out of position but VG ?? Come On Man

I hated to read it.   

I'm thinking about talking politics just to get this thread shut down

For a guy with "crazy" in your name this is a pretty sane post. 

I already stated in many of my posts of my worries about Coples. I think the best scenario for us at this moment to hope for is that he is out of position. Right now he look as miserable at OLB as was the case with Vernon.

Yeah I think Coples can play, unlike Gholston but he's an interior lineman in a 43. Or maybe a 5T.

Who knows, maybe he's just playing hurt.

OMG GUYZ! COPLES HAS BEEN BACK FOR 3 WEEKS FROM A FRACTURED ANKLE! WHY ISNT HE DOMINATING GAMES AT A NEW POSITION TO HIM! HE IS TEH WORST. VG WOULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND COPLES! BRING IN THAT GUY THAT WAS CUT FROM DALLAS AND CUT BAIT WITH THIS LOSER! TEH WORST!!!!

This is the biggest problem.  Coples was very effective as a down lineman before genius Rex decided to move him to OLB this season, based on nothing other than wishful thinking.   So now the guy has worked his ass off to trim down and play a position where he was doomed from the start -- he will never play well in space.  Never.  While he would not be starting out from absolute zero if they move him back to the DL, it sure wastes more than a full season (this season and part of next) while he re-adapts.  If they do not move him back, he might as well be Gholston, based strictly on wasting up and coming talent by playing him out of position.  Dumbest personnel move ever by Rex.

I'd like to see him healthy before we say all that...but you may be right.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a breakdown of where he's been taking snaps?  Could have sworn I've seen something similar posted before from a site...maybe Jason's?  I dont remember but I'd be very surprised if he spent %50 of his snaps at OLB.  When I key in on Q, he's lined up all over the field.  Like, every single position he could possibly play, he's played.  I think that has a lot to do why you dont see his impact showing up on the stat sheets.  I've watched him plenty, his play is opening up opportunities for others to make plays.  Now I get you'd want a little more from your 16th overall pick but I do think its it has a lot to do with how much they move him around and that he's still not 100% healthy.

All that said, he's had a lot hits on the QB this season.  He's getting there, just a little late.  Maybe thats the ankle, maybe thats adjusting to a new position, maybe thats playing multiple positions...but he's certainty not Vernon Gholston. 

Archived