Was anyone else pissed off?

Jacked4JetsFB

At the last two conservative playcalls to setup a 50+ yard field goal in OT yesterday?

I love Rex, love him, but I was screaming at the game yesterday about that. You have to try to get closer than that there, you cannot bank on a 50+ yarder to win the game, especially when if you miss it, you are turning the ball over to them needing 20 or so yards to win the game.

That penalty was the right call based on the new rule, but if that call did not happen and we lost, Rex would be getting absolutely killed for that.

No way they were letting Smith throw that ball in that situation 

Why?? A 56 yard field goal attempt is basically a turnover. They could have gone with some very high percentage passes there, short range stuff. You only needed 5-10 yards out of two plays. I thought that was coaching scared there. They got bailed out by a lucky penalty

Why?? A 56 yard field goal attempt is basically a turnover. They could have gone with some very high percentage passes there, short range stuff. You only needed 5-10 yards out of two plays. I thought that was coaching scared there. They got bailed out by a lucky penalty

Do you really have to ask why?  They had to run.  They just needed to run forward, not backward.

At the last two conservative playcalls to setup a 50+ yard field goal in OT yesterday?

I love Rex, love him, but I was screaming at the game yesterday about that. You have to try to get closer than that there, you cannot bank on a 50+ yarder to win the game, especially when if you miss it, you are turning the ball over to them needing 20 or so yards to win the game.

That penalty was the right call based on the new rule, but if that call did not happen and we lost, Rex would be getting absolutely killed for that.

I had no problem with the calls on that drive. 

My biggest criticism of Rex is that he too often gets comfortable with small leads, and starts calling a prevent defense. He took his foot off the pedal on defense late in the game yesterday, and it allowed the Pats to get in field goal range to tie it up.

That said I love Rex, and hope Idzik extends his contract.  He's a very good coach.

No way they were letting Smith throw that ball in that situation 

Do you really have to ask why?  They had to run.  They just needed to run forward, not backward.

Maybe they watched the film of the first Pats game.

It was clear on the last drive they weren't going to let Smith make any kind of throw unless the WR was wide open.  Plus the fact that they were running the ball real well on that drive.

IF you put a kid behind center, and think he is your QB you call the plays that best fits the situation, and they did that in the 4th quarter trying to win the game by picking up the 1st down throwing a very safe play to Cumberland, he dropped what would have iced the game, I don't see why you don't try to get more yards here, if your scared of the kid losing the game then take him out, and put some one in who your not scared of, and if your Rex, and you don't believe you have one, well that sucks, but you still can't coach to not lose, and that is what he did, and it almost cost him the game.  If they did not win because of that we probably would have had a week of killing Rex everywhere, and it might even have cost him his job. 

Hopefully they will be telling folk story's about this play/penalty for years to come, about how this kid started the Rex Ryan, and Geno Smith assention into multiple SB victorys instead of getting fired, and benched, like we talk about Mo Lewis!

IF you put a kid behind center, and think he is your QB you call the plays that best fits the situation, and they did that in the 4th quarter trying to win the game by picking up the 1st down throwing a very safe play to Cumberland, he dropped what would have iced the game, I don't see why you don't try to get more yards here, if your scared of the kid losing the game then take him out, and put some one in who your not scared of, and if your Rex, and you don't believe you have one, well that sucks, but you still can't coach to not lose, and that is what he did, and it almost cost him the game.  If they did not win because of that we probably would have had a week of killing Rex everywhere, and it might even have cost him his job. 

Hopefully they will be telling folk story's about this play/penalty for years to come, about how this kid started the Rex Ryan, and Geno Smith assention into multiple SB victorys instead of getting fired, and benched, like we talk about Mo Lewis!

Thing is they were running well.  If they just kept running down to the 20, it's of course the right thing to do.

If you have Smith, with the running game working, throw a short pass out to the flat, and he throw his 5th interception, and second pick 6, to the Pats in 2 games, we are talking right now about who is going to replace Rex next year.

He went with the safe call, and what was working.  They won the game.  I'll save the argument for a game they lose.

Thing is they were running well.  If they just kept running down to the 20, it's of course the right thing to do.

If you have Smith, with the running game working, throw a short pass out to the flat, and he throw his 5th interception, and second pick 6, to the Pats in 2 games, we are talking right now about who is going to replace Rex next year.

He went with the safe call, and what was working.  They won the game.  I'll save the argument for a game they lose.

If Geno does that, then we should be talking about replacing Geno Smith.  If Rex doesn't trust him, and runs it, and punts the ball there fine, but the silliest thing was to attempt the FG, very poor in the heat of the moment coaching.

If Geno does that, then we should be talking about replacing Geno Smith.  If Rex doesn't trust him, and runs it, and punts the ball there fine, but the silliest thing was to attempt the FG, very poor in the heat of the moment coaching.

The field goal attempt itself at that range is questionable.   It is at the extreme edge of Folk's range.  He's been hot.

Geno has been doing that.  He threw a pick 6 in this game.  He also opened the game up with a beautiful TD drive, then went cold.  In all honesty if Hill hadn't of pushed off that probably would have been an interception in the end zone.

Marty is doing a nice job of protecting Smith from himself.  When he executes the game plan, as in Atlanta, and after the pick 6 yesterday, they win.  When he doesn't, and turns the ball over in the red zone repeatably.  They lose.

Yesterday, in clutch time, they chose not to trust him.  It almost cost them.  They can't replace him for two reasons.  1)there is nobody to replace him with. 2)  They have gone all in with him, for this season at least.  Best they can do is protect him.  

In my opinion, the penalty will be the biggest thing in Rex getting another year as head coach.  If it isn't called and his decision to try an ill-advised 56 yard field goal stood, the fans and the press would have killed him.  What are we really playing for this season?  You've got to flip the script and try a play action pass in that situation and look to win the game rather than call running plays to not screw something up.

Yes. Way too conservative.

As I explained it to my wife, "these mother****ers are playing like a bunch of chicken sh*t cock suckers that WANT Brady to put another notch in his strap on belt, right before he ****s us again".

They should have never given the ball back to Brady with 2 minutes, 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning all there as ways to stop the clock. There was absolutely NO WAY he wasn't tying the game or taking the lead with that much time.

They played to lose at the end of regulation, and then did a similar thing right before the FG. The Jets got lucky with that penalty, the refs helped teh Jets win a game that they had in the bag, but were feverishly trying to give away with their conservative bullsh*t play calling.

Agree 100%. That was not a gimme, in fact it would've been Folk's career long.

As I explained it to my wife, "these mother****ers are playing like a bunch of chicken sh*t cock suckers that WANT Brady to put another notch in his strap on belt, right before he ****s us again".

They should have never given the ball back to Brady with 2 minutes, 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning all there as ways to stop the clock. There was absolutely NO WAY he wasn't tying the game or taking the lead with that much time.

They played to lose at the end of regulation, and then did a similar thing right before the FG. The Jets got lucky with that penalty, the refs helped teh Jets win a game that they had in the bag, but were feverishly trying to give away with their conservative bullsh*t play calling.

they did try to throw it for the first down at the end of regulation---Cumberland dropped a perfect pass.

If we are going to kill someone for puss play calling, let us all bow to the offensive genius Sean Payton, who gave the ball bask to Brady 2 times in the last two minutes.

Sean Payton doesn't coach the team I care about. 

Some fans are never happy. Conservative , or not we won the game. I would sign up for 4-3 with one division loss at this point considering that most " experts " said we would only win 4 games total this season.

We still may

I find it hard to agree with the conservative play calling at the end of the game also. You know where the line is that you must reach to give your kicker a decent shot at winning the game. Those last two runs were half hearted attempts that the Patriots were stacking the box against. There comes a time when you must put the game into Geno's hands and tell him "Its all on your shoulders kid" forget the crap about worrying about him throwing a pick, you play to win the game no matter what. If we had lost so be it, at least it would not be for lack of trying to win and move the ball downfield. Next time I hope Rex puts the game fully on Geno and lets him decide his own fate with his play. 

Some fans are never happy. Conservative , or not we won the game. I would sign up for 4-3 with one division loss at this point considering that most " experts " said we would only win 4 games total this season.

This is such complete nonsense. I am not happy, but thrilled the Jets won on Sunday. That said, I find it very disturbing that we needed a miracle fluke penalty to win a game that we dominated from start to finish. I am able to separate winning the game from bad coaching. As I said, I love Rex, but I am afraid Rex is losing his edge. He came in with his I am going to be aggressive mantra, and his conservatism in that situation should have cost us the game, but we got lucky we did not. 

This x 10000!

You don't get to complain about Rex calling the offense when it doesn't work and praise Marty Mornhinweg for all the successes at the same time.  I thought Rex had nothing to do with the O?

If you don't think Rex is listening to every offensive call and consulting Marty in that situation you are delusional. Either that or Rex is the HC in title only. There is no way in hell that there is not a conversation along the lines of:

Marty: What do you want to do hear Rex

Rex: Run it twice and get 5 yards closer.

And as a fan, I get to complain about whatever I want. 

Let us just totally overlook the point that Rex has nothing to do with the call, right?

If you don't think Rex is listening to every offensive call and consulting Marty in that situation you are delusional. Either that or Rex is the HC in title only. There is no way in hell that there is not a conversation along the lines of:

Marty: What do you want to do hear Rex

Rex: Run it twice and get 5 yards closer.

And as a fan, I get to complain about whatever I want. 

Cool.  So when the offense sucks it's on Rex.  When the offense is doing well great job Marty. 

Let us just totally overlook the point that Rex has nothing to do with the call, right?

Let me get this straight, are you really suggesting that Rex, the HC of the team had nothing to do with the decision to kick a 56 yard field goal in OT? Is that what you are really saying??

Cool.  So when the offense sucks it's on Rex.  When the offense is doing well great job Marty. 

Actually, contrary to many dopes on this board, I think the entire team is on Rex. Rex hired Marty, and Rex decides how much control Marty has on the offense. I have this insane notion that the HC of the team actually has jurisdiction over the hole team, not just one side of the ball. I know I am way out there on this. Just like I blame Rex for hiring Sparano and sticking with Sanchblows for way too long, I credit him for hiring Marty and giving him control, but I will also knock Rex, the HC when he plays for a 50+ yard field goal in OT to try to win the game.

I said this in another thread, sometimes you make the wrong move and get the right results, sometimes you make the right move and get the wrong results. Looking at the outcome as a win is naive in this situation regarding playing for a 50+ yard field goal in OT. If that penalty was not called the Pats would have had the ball on the Jets 46 yard line needing 25 yards to win the game. They got lucky, you cannot expect to get lucky in every game.

I had my sharpest knife at the ready. I can't believe the playcalling in that sequence. All runs. Was Marty afraid Smith woud turn into Sancho? Apparently so. Jets definitely lucked out on that one. It was reported that Rob gave Rex a heads up saying to look for the Pats to push on long FG attempts. The info worked.

I had my sharpest knife at the ready. I can't believe the playcalling in that sequence. All runs. Was Marty afraid Smith woud turn into Sancho? Apparently so. Jets definitely lucked out on that one. It was reported that Rob gave Rex a heads up saying to look for the Pats to push on long FG attempts. The info worked.

Why shouldn't he have been?  Geno makes some great plays but he turns the ball over a lot - a higher rate than Sanchez even since you brought it up.  Over the course of a game, that's allowable, but with the game on the line in that set of downs, I'm 100% okay with not throwing the ball there. 

I would like to have seen us gain a few yards on the ground in three tries though, and then we would have been kicking a 50 yard FG and none of this would have been an issue.  You want to fault something, look at why we lost yards in that sequence.

Why shouldn't he have been?  Geno makes some great plays but he turns the ball over a lot - a higher rate than Sanchez even since you brought it up.  Over the course of a game, that's allowable, but with the game on the line in that set of downs, I'm 100% okay with not throwing the ball there. 

I would like to have seen us gain a few yards on the ground in three tries though, and then we would have been kicking a 50 yard FG and none of this would have been an issue.  You want to fault something, look at why we lost yards in that sequence.

If you cannot trust your QB to throw a high percentage pass and not make a terrible mistake, than you are not playing in a game meaningful enough to be afraid of losing.

You want to know why we lost yards on those two runs? Because the Patriots bet the house that the Jets would do just what they did. They stacked the box and blitzed the run, it's not rocket science. 

I believed this team was better than most, I was saying 9-7 to 10-6 before the season, you can look up my posts. The reality is we are two fluke penalties from being 2-5 right now and we got two absolute gifts by both teams. lets not lose perspective of that. You cannot bank on getting that type of luck to win games, you need to win them yourselves the majority of the time.

Archived