Hall of Fame announces its 25 semifinalists for Class of 2014

Jetfan13

Four first-year eligible candidates – linebacker Derrick Brooks, coach Tony Dungy, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, and tackle Walter Jones – are among the 25 semifinalists being considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2014.

The Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee chose the 25 modern-era semifinalists from the previously announced list of 126 nominees.

In addition to the first-year eligible nominees, two other previously eligible candidates, coach Jimmy Johnson and guard Steve Wisniewski, made it to the semifinalist list for the first time. Each of the remaining individuals on the Selection Committee’s list has been a semifinalist at least once prior to this year.

Here is the list:  Morten Andersen, Steve Atwater, Jerome Bettis,  Derrick Brooks Tim Brown, Don Coryell, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Tony Dungy, Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Marvin Harrison,Joe Jacoby, Jimmy Johnson, Walter Jones, John Lynch, Karl Mecklenburg, Andre Reed, Will Shields, Michael Strahan, Paul Tagliabue, Aeneas Williams, Steve Wisniewski and George Young.

Great list. The only one I hope NEVER gets in is Strahan. He didn't deserve (or earn) the sack title, he stole it with an assist from as$ wipe Brett Favre. No one GAVE Gastineau a sack, he earned it. Yeah he may have been a douche among teammates like Klecko but a record is something earned NOT given. The NFL should go back and call that 'sack' a tackle for loss on a run play.

Great list. The only one I hope NEVER gets in is Strahan. He didn't deserve (or earn) the sack title, he stole it with an assist from as$ wipe Brett Favre. No one GAVE Gastineau a sack, he earned it. Yeah he may have been a douche among teammates like Klecko but a record is something earned NOT given. The NFL should go back and call that 'sack' a tackle for loss on a run play.

1. Strahan is absolutely a Hall of Famer - sack record or not. 

2. Gastineau was a one-trick pony and a complete piece of sh*t. 

Four first-year eligible candidates – linebacker Derrick Brooks, coach Tony Dungy, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, and tackle Walter Jones – are among the 25 semifinalists being considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2014.

The Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee chose the 25 modern-era semifinalists from the previously announced list of 126 nominees.

In addition to the first-year eligible nominees, two other previously eligible candidates, coach Jimmy Johnson and guard Steve Wisniewski, made it to the semifinalist list for the first time. Each of the remaining individuals on the Selection Committee’s list has been a semifinalist at least once prior to this year.

Here is the list:  Morten Andersen, Steve Atwater, Jerome Bettis,  Derrick Brooks Tim Brown, Don Coryell, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Tony Dungy, Kevin Greene, Charles Haley, Marvin Harrison,Joe Jacoby, Jimmy Johnson, Walter Jones, John Lynch, Karl Mecklenburg, Andre Reed, Will Shields, Michael Strahan, Paul Tagliabue, Aeneas Williams, Steve Wisniewski and George Young.

Here is 7 that I think will end up getting in

Jimmy Johnson

George Young

Marvin Harrison

Andre Reed

Charles Haley

Jerome Bettis

Walter Jones

If I had a vote I would probably substitute either Reed or Bettis with Roger Craig. Coryell should also get some votes for the work he did with passing game in both St.Louis and San Diego.

Don't even get me started on Klecko. He should have been inducted a long time ago.

If Lynch was black nobody would even remember him. He's extremely overrated.

Possibly. He was a perfect fit in the perfect system for his skills. It's not that any of these guys sucked but, I mean, they weren't any better or dominant at their position than Klecko.  

If Hess were white he wouldn't be nearly as popular on JN as he is.  Everyone likes the idea of having that one black friend.

If Lynch was black nobody would even remember him. He's extremely overrated.

I usually don't bite on these but I have to agree (or maybe it's because I just dislike Lynch so much).  And along that line of thinking, if the tables were turned, Aeneas would be in already.  Particularly if he didn't play his first 10 seasons for the freaking Cardinals.  8x pro bowler (again, playing for the Cardinals) and 3x first team all-pro.  And kept getting in when Prime Time was also in the same conference and stealing every headline for SB winners & high profile teams (and doing a great job on the field in his own right). Williams also made the pro bowl at safety at age 35.  If Lynch had the skill of Aeneas would there even be a question that he gets in right away? Of course not.  

Funny but I think this a lot with HOF safeties (or HOF candidates).  If half of the top CB prospects - those without Cromartie's or Deion's tackling skills I mean - exclusively played safety instead from day 1, how many of them would be better than Lynch or any number of the game's top safeties year after year? There are few true safeties who could actually play CB at an above-average level if the team needed it (Carnell Lake, etc. -- but there aren't too many ".etc" players).  Would Ed Reed - clearly a HOF safety - have been an above-average CB? I'd lean towards yes, but it's easy to just say he could do it while he never did it (even though CB is a harder to find, and a higher-paying position as well, he stayed at FS).  

Tony Dungy, lol.  Guy leaves town and Tampa instantly wins a SB.  

Unlike LT with the crack and underage hooker charges?

I think LT was in the hall before the legal problems as opposed to Klecko who had his troubles before eligibilty. (not 100%sure but think so)

BTW I am all for Joe being in the HOF. It is very unfair that he isn't. So he wasn't a choir boy. Big deal. Lots of players have had legal problems so why single him out???

Archived