Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

You don't blame the QB for a WRs drops either. Those drops were on Cotchery. So was him losing a step.

I disagree.  Cotchery was sure-handed before Sanchez and is sure-handed for Big Ben.  I think Sanchez was so wildly inaccurate that when Cotch was actually hit in the hands, in stride, he was so surprised that he'd drop it sometimes.  What alternative hypothesis can you come up with?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of the truth about Sanchez, you don't take your sh*t to the media and divide the team. Players like that are garbage, regardless of what they can do on the field.

Holmes and Plax were the same way in Pittsburgh, and Big Ben didn't suck. Some people just can't have a job without hating their boss or their co-workers. These are selfish, miserable people that cannot function as a team. I've been surrounded by assholes like this my whole career... no matter where you go, who you work for, some people are just divisive. 

Agreed.

I disagree.  Cotchery was sure-handed before Sanchez and is sure-handed for Big Ben.  I think Sanchez was so wildly inaccurate that when Cotch was actually hit in the hands, in stride, he was so surprised that he'd drop it sometimes.  What alternative hypothesis can you come up with?

Cotch had a bad year. It happens. Especially when you are declining. Ball hits you in the hands and you drop it, it's on you as WR. Can't blame Sanchez for everything, gimme a break you sound like one of the dopes around here that makes up irrational sh*t just to fit their agenda.

The Tao of Bitonti, in a restaurant: "There are over 100 customers in here and, as such, I am unlikely to receive service. In lieu, I will feast upon and enjoy these yummy sugar packets."

If winning a SUper Bowl was like getting service in a restaurant, that metaphor would be awesome. 

So signing Plaxico, Holmes, and Mason that same year wasn't an attempt to give Sanchez weapons to be that competent QB with LT, and Keller in place? Yes the players were wrong but the attempt all be it failed was there, and that is why the GM was fired that's his job to evaluate the proper talent, and if he let Rex dictate who he picked then shame on him, Rex's job is to coach the players, and he does a damn good job at that, not be a GM!

I also can't remember a better 2 year stretch than 09, 10 under Ryan with a rookie QB that this franchise ever had, so yes I want to give Rex another shot with a properly built revamped talented roster for a 2nd time just like Marvin Lewis, B Cohwer, and a bunch of others in the NFL as coaches got!

The rest of your statement is drivel I couldn't even read.

Holmes yes, Plaxico and Mason were attempts to divert offensive resources in Braylon and Cotchery to the defense.

The attempt sucked.

Rex foolishly either believed, or did not believe that Sanchez was better than he really was. That allowed him to replace productive offensive players with bargain basement garbage, to try to beef up an already stout defense.

Even the best GM's in the world need to be able to rely on their coaches to evaluate their own rosters. If  you think GM's don't, you are kidding yourselves.

If you cannot rely on your HC to evaluate the talent on their team fairly and objectively, you have a major problem. There is a reason a HC is paid much, much more money than the GM.

09 and 10 were great. But they were false hope, both of them. I have never seen a team (other than maybe the Giants) receive more breaks and unbelievable wins than the Jets did in 09/10. If you cannot see that, you are blind.

09 should have finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs, and if the Colts did not pull Manning that is what would have happened. In 10 we won 4 or 5 games in the last seconds in miraculous fashion, off the top of my head there was the Browns, Texans, Lions and Broncos games, and I believe one more.

I give Rex all the credit in the world for beating the Pats in the playoffs in 2010, but that does not buy him a lifetime pass and excuse all his incompetence.

Hope and Luck are not strategies. For all the talk about how great a coach Rex is, I just don't see it. He cannot evaluate talent, he cannot develop talent other than Dline, he cannot do anything offensive at all. He is an OK motivator, a crappy leader, and an above average DC.

the strategy for keeping Rex and the strategy for replacing Rex is the same: Fix the WR corp, find a real TE and draft a QB every year until you have a Franchise level player. All of this has to happen whether Rex is here or not. 

Regarding Dalton, he does have great targets but he also understands the basics of the position like how to take a snap from center and how to read the whole field and find the hot route. 

personally I am not super-wedded to the idea of Rex, like I was wedded to the idea of not trading Revis (a bad move btw in hindsight they had more than enough room to pay  the best CB in football). I understand coaches need to change every so often. I just don't see how this team gets much better by a coaching swap.

the problem is not the coaching, no matter how much we'd like to convince ourselves this is Rex fault. the talent level is tiny and frankly, for this team to have even 5 wins is exceeding expectations. The roster is a tire fire.  You all say Rex is incompetent, I don't see any direct evidence of that. If you want to talk about the win loss record, Rex is still above water on his career. 

my theory is that Jets fans want to believe that all they need is a new coach and everything will be awesome. There's a reason why great QBs make 15-20 mil and great HCs make 5 (btw no great HC will come here willingly). So we are looking at another first time HC like Bevell or retreads like Marty or the Whizzinator. None of these guys are really upgrades, not even on paper.

This is nonsense.

Everyone knows that hiring a new coach is a crap shoot.

The difference is that once most people recognize the coach don't got what it takes, they are ready to move on rather than blame the rest of the free world for their shortcomings.

Rex don't have it, its time to move on.

Hopefully the next guy will, if not, it will be time to move on from him too.

cmon dude that was 3 years ago. 3 YEARS! if he doesn't do it every year it's firing time. Bring in someone who's never head coached a team before cause that will solve all the problems. 

Jim Fassel went further with the Giants than Rex ever did with the Jets, and he was fired and the Giants were rewarded with two SB's.

Sometimes you have to know when to fold em.

If you are happy with every part of the franchise regressing big time under Rex's watch other than the Dline, you like losing. I am not OK with the type of regression that has gone on here, it is not something I want to see my franchise do under it's HC or GM.

Again, there is a reason why HC's make much more money than GM's.

Cotch had a bad year. It happens. Especially when you are declining. Ball hits you in the hands and you drop it, it's on you as WR. Can't blame Sanchez for everything, gimme a break you sound like one of the dopes around here that makes up irrational sh*t just to fit their agenda.

What am I making up?  Did he really decline?  Because he's doing quite well with the Steelers in his old age.

What am I making up?  Did he really decline?  Because he's doing quite well with the Steelers in his old age.

Yes, he did. It took him how many years to re-surface as somewhat relevant? We were using him as our 1A or 1B wideout... in Pittsburgh they've discovered he's still good enough to beat #3 or #4 corners in certain matchups.

He also benefits from Big Ben's schoolyard style of play, where WRs don't have to beat a CB in their route, they just have to find some open field and wait until Ben runs around long enough to get the throw off.

Do you even watch football? Sheesh.

Holmes yes, Plaxico and Mason were attempts to divert offensive resources in Braylon and Cotchery to the defense.

The attempt sucked.

Rex foolishly either believed, or did not believe that Sanchez was better than he really was. That allowed him to replace productive offensive players with bargain basement garbage, to try to beef up an already stout defense.

Even the best GM's in the world need to be able to rely on their coaches to evaluate their own rosters. If  you think GM's don't, you are kidding yourselves.

If you cannot rely on your HC to evaluate the talent on their team fairly and objectively, you have a major problem. There is a reason a HC is paid much, much more money than the GM.

09 and 10 were great. But they were false hope, both of them. I have never seen a team (other than maybe the Giants) receive more breaks and unbelievable wins than the Jets did in 09/10. If you cannot see that, you are blind.

09 should have finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs, and if the Colts did not pull Manning that is what would have happened. In 10 we won 4 or 5 games in the last seconds in miraculous fashion, off the top of my head there was the Browns, Texans, Lions and Broncos games, and I believe one more.

I give Rex all the credit in the world for beating the Pats in the playoffs in 2010, but that does not buy him a lifetime pass and excuse all his incompetence.

Hope and Luck are not strategies. For all the talk about how great a coach Rex is, I just don't see it. He cannot evaluate talent, he cannot develop talent other than Dline, he cannot do anything offensive at all. He is an OK motivator, a crappy leader, and an above average DC.

Wow!  Peyton Manning is awesome!  If they didn't pull him the Jets would have lost 2 more games.  As for 2010, that team was excellent. They won some close games.  They also lost the opener by one to the Ravens, 9-0 to the Packers (thanks Mark!), by like a field goal to Miami andin that shootout with the Bears.  There was only one game the whole season where they were outclassed and that was the second Pats game.  Treating that team as lucky is a complete and total joke

Yes, he did. It took him how many years to re-surface as somewhat relevant? We were using him as our 1A or 1B wideout... in Pittsburgh they've discovered he's still good enough to beat #3 or #4 corners in certain matchups.

He also benefits from Big Ben's schoolyard style of play, where WRs don't have to beat a CB in their route, they just have to find some open field and wait until Ben runs around long enough to get the throw off.

Do you even watch football? Sheesh.

Cotchery wasn't our # 1A or 1B when he had that bad year in 2010.  We had Holmes, Braylon, Keller and even LT getting more looks than Cotchery that season.  So you can't use the "he wasn't facing nickle/dime corners with us" defense.

Of course he benefits from Ben's "style of play".  Ben can play football.  Sanchez couldn't.  Arguing that Cotchery was "declining" for us is asinine.  He's been a capable possession receiver his entire career except, "mysteriously", for that one 2010 season. 

Cotchery wasn't our # 1A or 1B when he had that bad year in 2010.  We had Holmes, Braylon, Keller and even LT getting more looks than Cotchery that season.  So you can't use the "he wasn't facing nickle/dime corners with us" defense.

Of course he benefits from Ben's "style of play".  Ben can play football.  Sanchez couldn't.  Arguing that Cotchery was "declining" for us is asinine.  He's been a capable possession receiver his entire career except, "mysteriously", for that one 2010 season. 

Yeah, he was hurt. He had surgery in the offseason.

Cotch had a fit when WE asked him to work behind those other guys. He expected to be our #1 or #2. So yeah, Cotchery was intended to be one of our top 2 targets. He got hurt. He stopped playing at a high level. Started dropping passes. Meanwhile all the guys you list surpassed him in making plays... but yeah, it was all Sanchez fault that Cotchery had a bad year, even though those other guys had fine years with Sanchez.

Grind your axe with infantile logic somewhere else. 

Wow! Peyton Manning is awesome! If they didn't pull him the Jets would have lost 2 more games. As for 2010, that team was excellent. They won some close games. They also lost the opener by one to the Ravens, 9-0 to the Packers (thanks Mark!), by like a field goal to Miami andin that shootout with the Bears. There was only one game the whole season where they were outclassed and that was the second Pats game. Treating that team as lucky is a complete and total joke

I never said that team wasn't pretty good.

Winning four plus games in the final seconds where you are left for dead involves some luck.

In at least two that I remeber, browns and broncos, really bad penalties aided those wins.

If you think that is sustainable, than hope and luck are a strategy for you.

Maybe we can hope for 9 fluke wins a year and Rex can win a SB?

I never said that team wasn't pretty good.

Winning four plus games in the final seconds where you are left for dead involves some luck.

In at least two that I remeber, browns and broncos, really bad penalties aided those wins.

If you think that is sustainable, than hope and luck are a strategy for you.

Maybe we can hope for 9 fluke wins a year and Rex can win a SB?

They won 11 games, not 9.  All their wins were luck and all their losses poor coaching.  Your logic is astounding.  They were out of one game out of 16. Of the games they lost only two are not directly on the inept QB play.  NE and the Bears game, but hey it's all coaching baby. 

They won 11 games, not 9. All their wins were luck and all their losses poor coaching. Your logic is astounding. They were out of one game out of 16. Of the games they lost only two are not directly on the inept QB play. NE and the Bears game, but hey it's all coaching baby.

Yawn. Your apologies are boring.

The attempt sucked.

I don't get this he can only develop Dline crap some of you are spewing, you want to say defensive players fine, but to say just Dline guys is incompetent, Rex is the whole package coach wise on Defense, and he needs a lot more to become a great HC, and IMO with time, and experience, and when he finally gets a competent QB he will become one here, or somewhere else.

Nobody outside of New York knew who D Revis was until Rex Ryan spouted off at his opening press conference about how great he thinks he could be, and he delivered on that. A Cromartie is playing brutal now, but he had a career turn around under Rex Ryan including an All Pro selection. D. Davis is proving to be a very good player at ILB, a 3rd round pick that Rex has spouted off about since the minute he drafted him. Ask Landry how thankful he is to Rex about his nice knew multi million dollar bank account he has after playing 1 year with Rex. And you guys already mention the Dline players so I don't have to spew off those names.

I don't get this he can only develop Dline crap some of you are spewing, you want to say defensive players fine, but to say just Dline guys is incompetent, Rex is the whole package coach wise on Defense, and he needs a lot more to become a great HC, and IMO with time, and experience, and when he finally gets a competent QB he will become one here, or somewhere else.

Nobody outside of New York knew who D Revis was until Rex Ryan spouted off at his opening press conference about how great he thinks he could be, and he delivered on that. A Cromartie is playing brutal now, but he had a career turn around under Rex Ryan including an All Pro selection. D. Davis is proving to be a very good player at ILB, a 3rd round pick that Rex has spouted off about since the minute he drafted him. Ask Landry how thankful he is to Rex about his nice knew multi million dollar bank account he has after playing 1 year with Rex. And you guys already mention the Dline players so I don't have to spew off those names.

Revis was a Pro Bowler in 2008. Antonio Cromartie was First Team All Pro in 2007. Laron Landry was the fourth overall pick whom Rex coached to stay healthy for 16 games.

Archived