Might want to start thinking about Josh Mccown

Matt39

Romo would be the best QB we've had in years, probably decades. I'm not sure how anything from last night was his fault. He doesn't play defense.

Jerry Jones ain't letting Romo get away. He is his best player and he is paying him A LOT of money. I wouldn't want his cap number on the Jets, we would have to cut the entire d-line to stay under because Romo would insist on bringing his butt buddy Witten - another overpaid stiff - with him.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year contract right now...would compete to start next year

I think a guy like Kirk Cousins would be a better option than another Favre-like band aid. Bring a young QB like Cousins or Ryan Mallett in to compete with the guys we have and the QB situation gets better immediately. Can't bring Rex back to f it all up though.

Perhaps the sample is too small to say anything one way or the other. I hardly believe that neither Mark Sanchez's mostly-failure, nor a rookie Geno Smith setting the league on fire, means anyone is a good or bad developer of quarterbacks. It is entirely possible that both would be bad in anyone's hands. Ditto Greg McElroy, Kellen Clemens, Tim Tebow, and Matt Simms.

When he "ruins" a prospect like Andrew Luck - or appears to be ruining one like RGIII, like offense-minded Mike Shanahan is doing before everyone's eyes - then get back to me. Until then I see a mass of under-talented and/or unready QBs that would be failures in pretty much anyone's hands. Particularly without Matt39's precious weapons that apparently the only things that prevent great QBs from being Sanchez-level.

No no no no nononononono. You stated that Rex was never gifted a QB like Josh McCown as if Josh McCown was one of these magic QBs that seem to land in other people's laps. It's this idea that a QB falls from the heavens for some teams and that's what separates Rex from the better coaches in the league. McCown is proof positive that you can, in fact, build a functioning quarterback. Trestman is the same guy who coached Gannon to MVP status with the Raiders.

He think's he's Peyton pre-snap. Problem is he cant read a defense. Dallas D was obviously terrible last night...but Romo stunk too. He'd be a disaster in NY.

He had three touchdown passes and no turnovers. I'm not sure what else he could do last night. People just don't like him for some reason but he's a good to great QB right now.

He had three touchdown passes and no turnovers. I'm not sure what else he could do last night. People just don't like him for some reason but he's a good to great QB right now.

Spiking the ball on 4th down was classic Romo. I think Garrett's a moron....but there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to that offense. Dez had 3 targets last night? How does that happen.

The Beasley TD was in garbage time...and Dallas couldnt move the ball through the air anyways. 

He belongs in a comic book. The Fantastic Four and he could play Sue Storm the 'Invisible One.' Just another reason to HATE Rex who along with Tanny had NO CLUE as to how to draft offensive players. They could make offensive draft picks but not pick good offensive players. Since Rex and Tanny took over in 2009 who is the BEST offensive player taken by the team in the draft? I would say Jeremy Kerley in the fifth round of 2011. Man that is pathetic that a possession/slot WR is the BEST player drafted on offense for the Jets. No wonder they suck.

Give it the **** up already! I don't care if you are a troll or real at this point.  Rex was on record as hating the Hill pick, so how do you blame him for it?  Keep spewing this sh*t and some idiot who didn't pay attention may start repeating it. Then you can be very proud.  Maybe we could have hired somebody successful like Jeff Fisher or the 49er front office.  They picked Brian Quick and AJ Jenkins well before Hill. 

No no no no nononononono. You stated that Rex was never gifted a QB like Josh McCown as if Josh McCown was one of these magic QBs that seem to land in other people's laps. It's this idea that a QB falls from the heavens for some teams and that's what separates Rex from the better coaches in the league. McCown is proof positive that you can, in fact, build a functioning quarterback. Trestman is the same guy who coached Gannon to MVP status with the Raiders.

Goodie.  David Lee is our QB coach.  

So do you want a new QBC or a new HC? Or should we should hire a QBC to replace Rex because Josh McCown is now better than Jay Cutler? Their team is the same 1 game removed from .500 that the Jets are with this elite QB and receiver play.

McCown is also proof positive that some guys just figure things out after many years of bouncing around.  Being that Cutler is by FAR the more talented of the two, how come it isn't Cutler that has shown to be a franchise QB as good as McCown? Better coaching with one than the other? Cutler's not demonstrably better than he's ever been before over a 7-8 game stretch in nearly the way McCown has been.

Also sometimes guys just get hot or cold.  Once upon a time Mark Sanchez started a season with a 8:0 TD:INT ratio and that was without MarshallJeffreyWeaponz.  Guess Rex was a better QB developer over that stretch.  Too bad he's worse at it now.

I've been as big a proponent as you can be that not only is McCown playing like the best QB on his team, but would be a great veteran for us. However, the guy almost threw three interceptions last, he's still not someone you want to give the keys to your franchise nor will take you to the super bowl. For as inconsistent as Cutler is, he still is the more talented of the two and gives them the best chance to win a super bowl should he decide to show up. That having been said, I don't want the Jets anywhere near his asking price this off season. 

I've been as big a proponent as you can be that not only is McCown playing like the best QB on his team, but would be a great veteran for us. However, the guy almost threw three interceptions last, he's still not someone you want to give the keys to your franchise nor will take you to the super bowl. For as inconsistent as Cutler is, he still is the more talented of the two and gives them the best chance to win a super bowl should he decide to show up. That having been said, I don't want the Jets anywhere near his asking price this off season.

+1

Anyone remember what Cutler looked like when he was coached by Lovie Smith, protected by Frank Omiyale, and throwing to Devin Hester? That's pretty much what he'd look like here.

Spiking the ball on 4th down was classic Romo. I think Garrett's a moron....but there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to that offense. Dez had 3 targets last night? How does that happen.

The Beasley TD was in garbage time...and Dallas couldnt move the ball through the air anyways. 

Chicago had the ball for 36 minutes last night. They are terrible against the run as evidenced by giving up nearly 200 yards rushing. 

Chicago didn't punt once.

But you're right. Romo's fault.

Chicago had the ball for 36 minutes last night. They are terrible against the run as evidenced by giving up nearly 200 yards rushing.

Chicago didn't punt once.

But you're right. Romo's fault.

Not blaming everything on Romo as Dallas' defense is pathetic...but they're never winning anything with Romo and Garrett either. There's no rhyme or reason to that offense.

Goodie. David Lee is our QB coach.

So do you want a new QBC or a new HC? Or should we should hire a QBC to replace Rex because Josh McCown is now better than Jay Cutler? Their team is the same 1 game removed from .500 that the Jets are with this elite QB and receiver play.

McCown is also proof positive that some guys just figure things out after many years of bouncing around. Being that Cutler is by FAR the more talented of the two, how come it isn't Cutler that has shown to be a franchise QB as good as McCown? Better coaching with one than the other? Cutler's not demonstrably better than he's ever been before over a 7-8 game stretch in nearly the way McCown has been.

Also sometimes guys just get hot or cold. Once upon a time Mark Sanchez started a season with a 8:0 TD:INT ratio and that was without MarshallJeffreyWeaponz. Guess Rex was a better QB developer over that stretch. Too bad he's worse at it now.

I want a head coach that recognizes that one (1) 2013 Josh McCown >>>>>>>>>>> Three (3) Mo Wilkersons.

+1

Anyone remember what Cutler looked like when he was coached by Lovie Smith, protected by Frank Omiyale, and throwing to Devin Hester? That's pretty much what he'd look like here.

Literally the only way I'd even consider him, is if his agent had an anuerysm and was only asking for $10 million a year, other than that the guy go mire in relative mediocrity for the rest of his career in Chicago or wherever. He's such a whiny, entitled punk that truly believes because he has such amazing arm-talent that he's never at fault or needs to put in the extra effort, he's been that way since his Vanderbilt days. 

And your right, the talent disparity between us and them on offense is comical: if he can't get it done with Marshall, Jeffery, Earl Bennett, Martelluss Bennett and Matt Forte, what makes anyone think he'd get it here?  **Still bitter to this day that we never landed Forte. I remember Tangini was huge on that kid and met with him a number of times at the senior bowl. It's irrelevant at this point, but it'd be nice to have a back you can utilize in the run game and the screen game. 

Literally the only way I'd even consider him, is if his agent had an anuerysm and was only asking for $10 million a year, other than that the guy go mire in relative mediocrity for the rest of his career in Chicago or wherever. He's such a whiny, entitled punk that truly believes because he has such amazing arm-talent that he's never at fault or needs to put in the extra effort, he's been that way since his Vanderbilt days.

And your right, the talent disparity between us and them on offense is comical: if he can't get it done with Marshall, Jeffery, Earl Bennett, Martelluss Bennett and Matt Forte, what makes anyone think he'd get it here? **Still bitter to this day that we never landed Forte. I remember Tangini was huge on that kid and met with him a number of times at the senior bowl. It's irrelevant at this point, but it'd be nice to have a back you can utilize in the run game and the screen game.

Dbates hated Forte if memory serves lol.

I was never a huge fan of his either...but it must be nice having a back that doesn't look like an idiot catching a swing pass.

Assume you saw a lot of Forte at Tulane?

Perhaps the sample is too small to say anything one way or the other.  I hardly believe that neither Mark Sanchez's mostly-failure, nor a rookie Geno Smith setting the league on fire, means anyone is a good or bad developer of quarterbacks.  It is entirely possible that both would be bad in anyone's hands.  Ditto Greg McElroy, Kellen Clemens, Tim Tebow, and Matt Simms.

When he "ruins" a prospect like Andrew Luck - or appears to be ruining one like RGIII, like offense-minded Mike Shanahan is doing before everyone's eyes - then get back to me.  Until then I see a mass of under-talented and/or unready QBs that would be failures in pretty much anyone's hands.  Particularly without Matt39's precious weapons that apparently the only things that prevent great QBs from being Sanchez-level.

You're waiting on us to get an Andrew Luck type prospect for Rex? cause you're going to be waiting a long time. You're a smart guy, most prospects need work. Rodgers reworked his entire mechanics and I realize that was a special circumstance where he had years behind Favre but we put our QB's in the worst situations that 95% of QB's making the jump from college would fail in, especially one that came from an Air Raid offense which is nothing like the pro's. Geno Smith literally had better receivers in college then he's had to work with in the pro's. Austin and Bailey would start on this team. Rex has no idea what he's doing and I don't feel like watching him get another young QB to "groom". 

You're waiting on us to get an Andrew Luck type prospect for Rex? cause you're going to be waiting a long time. You're a smart guy, most prospects need work. Rodgers reworked his entire mechanics and I realize that was a special circumstance where he had years behind Favre but we put our QB's in the worst situations that 95% of QB's making the jump from college would fail in, especially one that came from an Air Raid offense which is nothing like the pro's. Geno Smith literally had better receivers in college then he's had to work with in the pro's. Austin and Bailey would start on this team. Rex has no idea what he's doing and I don't feel like watching him get another young QB to "groom". 

We already have a QB coach.  Some guys are just not going to be good NFL QBs no matter who is grooming them.  Or was there another reason why you & your brother were on camera acting so pissed off at the Sanchez pick.

Give it the **** up already! I don't care if you are a troll or real at this point.  Rex was on record as hating the Hill pick, so how do you blame him for it?  

Is there a link for this? I don't remember it, apologies if it's buried in this thread somewhere and I missed it

We already have a QB coach.  Some guys are just not going to be good NFL QBs no matter who is grooming them.  Or was there another reason why you & your brother were on camera acting so pissed off at the Sanchez pick.

I wish that was actually me on camera, that guy looks brilliant now. That was my general reaction to the pick though, I didn't think he was any good in the 12 games he played in college. I guess we'll just have to wait for Andrew Luck, until then "In Rex we Trust" It'll all just come together

Is there a link for this? I don't remember it, apologies if it's buried in this thread somewhere and I missed it

Link to what?  Rex not liking Hill? I don't put much stock in what these guys say after the draft, but this is as telling as anything:

In training camp, when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Bradway and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/08/31/stephen-hill-jets-notebook/index.html#ixzz2n66Hc8JD

The Jets line of thinking with regards to WR's was they don't touch the ball enough during the course of the game to merit a first round pick. Will be interesting to see if that changes under the new scouting dept. Believe Graves selected Fitzgerald in Arizona with Boldin still on the roster.

Dbates hated Forte if memory serves lol.

I was never a huge fan of his either...but it must be nice having a back that doesn't look like an idiot catching a swing pass.

Assume you saw a lot of Forte at Tulane?

His name was brought up almost every game LSU had during his senior year, saying "how'd we let a Lake Charles kid get away to Tulane," and things of that nature. I have no idea how highly recruited he was, but to be honest, didn't pay much attention to him until that dominant senior year and then when he was blowing up the senior bowl. I remember being disappointed we didn't get him after Mangini was reportedly meeting with him a lot at the senior bowl, and then we landed Dustin Keller instead.  In all fairness, I wanted Limas Sweed with that pick and would have chosen him over Forte, so for every guy or two that I like who turn out well, there's always some major bust that I probably liked even more. Go figure.

Link to what?  Rex not liking Hill? I don't put much stock in what these guys say after the draft, but this is as telling as anything:

I think that is more him sayng he doesn't want to draft a wideout, which frankly fits with his 50's view of offense. no?

Goodie.  David Lee is our QB coach.  

McCown is also proof positive that some guys just figure things out after many years of bouncing around.  Being that Cutler is by FAR the more talented of the two, how come it isn't Cutler that has shown to be a franchise QB as good as McCown? Better coaching with one than the other? Cutler's not demonstrably better than he's ever been before over a 7-8 game stretch in nearly the way McCown has been.

Also sometimes guys just get hot or cold.  Once upon a time Mark Sanchez started a season with a 8:0 TD:INT ratio and that was without MarshallJeffreyWeaponz.  Guess Rex was a better QB developer over that stretch.  Too bad he's worse at it now.

Trestman knew Cutler was a waste so while Cutler was his and apparently still is his starter, he was actually spending all his time "developing" 34 year old Josh McCown because he knew that if this guy got his shot...LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!

I think that is more him sayng he doesn't want to draft a wideout, which frankly fits with his 50's view of offense. no?

Are you serious MexiRoll II?  I saw nothing that told me he would contribute?  I saw his tape and I was concerned?  He specifically stated the others loved the kid and he didn't.  There is no way you can blame that pick on Rex.  None.  Even if you want to, I am tired of reading how Hill is some kind of crippled moron incapable of playing while Brian Quick and AJ Jennings went ahead of him.  I think he has more than those two combined and Hill was the one that was going to take time to develop.  Why can't we be more like the Niners? Ugh

Archived