We're not good enough for Michael Sam, apparently

Gastineau Lives

Maybe it's because I haven't finished my morning joe and I'm struggling to internet, but I just read through this entire thread and I have no idea what it's about.

The same thing every thread on JN is about: someone is gay, and someone's else is offended.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes JIF read what I said in bold ..... either way Rex made his own bed in the leadership department and then all these writers jumped on the bandwagon. You can blame your genius HC for his own ridiculous comments. At least Rex is honest he's got that much going for him

You said his leadership has come into question by most people who "cover the Jets"...jeezus

yes JIF  read what I said in bold ..... either way Rex made his own bed in the leadership department and then all these writers jumped on the bandwagon. You can blame your genius HC for his own ridiculous comments. At least Rex is honest he's got that much going for him

You said his leadership has come into question by most people who "cover the Jets"...jeezus

Your getting Rep from klunko I thought that was kinda funny

:)

The Browns, Bills and Raiders have excellent leadership. They're doing things the right way over there. Rex, meanwhile... meh. Players obviously don't respect him. Did you see how downtrodden they were when Woody announced that Rex would be back for the 2014 season? Players can't wait to get out of here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132687/michael-sam

Cyd Zeigler, co-founder of OutSports.com and an acquaintance of Michael Sam, doesn't believe the Cowboys, Jets or Redskins would be a good fit for the edge rusher.

"He can work on any team with decent leadership," Zeigler said in an interview with a CBS radio affiliate in Washington, D.C. "I pray to God he doesn't end up on the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Jets or the Washington Redskins. I think those three teams -- they have poor leadership, but most of the other teams in the NFL have guys -- the coaching staff, the front office and locker room -- who are equipped to deal with this." We think the discussion over Sam's next destination is already overblown, and we don't think that Sam's "friends" are helping him by criticizing potential employers before the draft. If the reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year can hack it at the next level, he'll be accepted in his next locker room without question, and we'll all wonder why anyone ever thought it would be any different. If Sam can't keep up, he won't stick around a locker room long enough to find out how accommodating his fellow professionals could have been.

if I'm correct each team has had a player verbalize their distaste for homosexuality. I think the "leadership" remark was just away around saying what he really felt. Imagine Michael Sam and Demario Davis in the locker room. Not saying that the couldn't co-exist, they're adults, but the media will certainly bring it up every single chance they get.

The Browns, Bills and Raiders have excellent leadership. They're doing things the right way over there. Rex, meanwhile... meh. Players obviously don't respect him. Did you see how downtrodden they were when Woody announced that Rex would be back for the 2014 season? Players can't wait to get out of here.

According to someone here, players can't possibly respect Rex because they call him "Rex" and not "Coach Ryan."

if I'm correct each team has had a player verbalize their distaste for homosexuality. I think the "leadership" remark was just away around saying what he really felt. Imagine Michael Sam and Demario Davis in the locker room. Not saying that the couldn't co-exist, they're adults, but the media will certainly bring it up every single chance they get.

Faith-Filled Jets LB DeMario Davis Would Welcome Gay Teammate

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/10/faith-filled-jets-lb-demario-davis-would-welcome-gay-teammate/

OVERVIEW

2013: First-team All-American, first-team All-SEC and a Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalist. Started all 14 games. AP SEC co-Defensive Player of the Year pick. 2012: Played in 12 games and started nine. 2011: Played in 13 games and started one. 2010: Played in 13 games and started one. 2009: Redshirted. High school: All-District as offensive lineman and defensive lineman as a junior and senior. Also lettered in track and powerlifting.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Good arm length. Anticipates the snap and has a very good initial first step. Plays hard -- gives great effort and competes every down. Good on-field intensity and demeanor. Attacks the edges aggressively and motor runs hot. Outstanding weight-room strength -- can squat a small house. Very durable.
WEAKNESSES  Lacks burst and acceleration off the edge to get a step on blockers and finish. Sack production results from effort and production flushed to him and is not creatively produced with savvy pass-rush moves, speed, power or bend. Average hip flexibility and snap -- struggles clearing his hips at the top of his rush and trimming the corner. Adequate anchor vs. the run. Is late to disengage from blocks. Does not strike with authority. Inconsistent tackler. Late bloomer who could require time to adapt to the pro game. DRAFT PROJECTION  Rounds 4-5
BOTTOM LINE  A productive, 4-3 weakside rusher who came on as a senior and it made his last season his best. Could fit most ideally as a 3-4 outside linebacker in a zone-blitzing scheme like the Steelers or Ravens. Compares favorably to Chargers 2009 first-round pick Larry English, an overhyped, overdrafted, marginal producer in the pros.

The Jets are in "leadership transition" right now.  I think guys like Wilkerson and Richardson will do a much better job than Holmes and Scott.

That said with the amount of media that is around the Jets, Sam would be better off not being around that.  The best environment for him would be to go somewhere and play football.  How much did you hear about Manti Te’o on a national level last year?  How much would you have heard about Te’o if he was drafted by the Jets?

That has nothing to do with the team leadership and more to do with being in NY.

Archived