Jets were all over CB Brandley Roby at the OSU Pro Day

SenorGato

Cornerback Bradley Roby, who ran well at the combine with a 4.37, put down what a scout said was the other most impressive drill of the day, along with Shazier's 40. Roby posted about a 6.7 time in the 3-cone drill, and otherwise looked smooth in position drills, as he had in Indianapolis. That led one evaluator to conclude the the Buckeyes are most likely looking at two first-round picks when the NFL Draft kicks off on May 8 -- Shazier and Roby.

www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/03/ohio_states_ryan_shazier_bradl.html

Building our team around CBs has gotten us where?

This is why Rex had to go.

Having a pedestrian secondary under Mangini got us where? Atleast with Rex and his secondary got us to Two AFCCG games. Is it a coincidence that the Jets needed a cover corner and a cover safety to reach the SB both times?

We have Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner as our starters. We need another starting CB to keep Kyle in the slot. We've got plenty of DL talent now. We are loaded with salary cap space and draft picks.

Our most important and pressing needs of this offseason: WR, TE, G, QB, OLB, CB...in no particular order. Whether it comes from FA or draft, those are all needs we can not ignore. And Im only talking about starters, not backups.

Having a pedestrian secondary under Mangini got us where? Atleast with Rex and his secondary got us to Two AFCCG games. Is it a coincidence that the Jets needed a cover corner and a cover safety to reach the SB both times?

We have Kyle Wilson and Dee Milliner as our starters. We need another starting CB to keep Kyle in the slot. We've got plenty of DL talent now. We are loaded with salary cap space and draft picks.

Our most important and pressing needs of this offseason: WR, TE, G, QB, OLB, CB...in no particular order. Whether it comes from FA or draft, those are all needs we can not ignore. And Im only talking about starters, not backups.

Until they sign Howard RT is pretty high on that list.  

Can't imagine what the hold up on that is.  Either Howard is looking for LT money, or the Jets are low balling him.   Either case I think it's a mistake

He's probably asking for more than he's worth and Idzik is balking at the price.  I have to imagine if Idzik is going to spend big money on a RT, he'll do it for someone who's worth $7 million and not Howard. It's a shame, because he was a practice squad guy who made good, but I don't blame him for trying to get as much money as possible.

Can't imagine what the hold up on that is.  Either Howard is looking for LT money, or the Jets are low balling him.   Either case I think it's a mistake

Miami has been linked to him, and they could def. use the help on their OL.  

It's strategic play by Howard to get his dollar amount raised.  Can't say I blame him.  

He's probably asking for more than he's worth and Idzik is balking at the price.  I have to imagine if Idzik is going to spend big money on a RT, he'll do it for someone who's worth $7 million and not Howard. It's a shame, because he was a practice squad guy who made good, but I don't blame him for trying to get as much money as possible.

Dammit 12,  totally ninja'd!

Just having flash backs to the Slauson situation last year which I thought the Jets bungled.  Slauson wasn't a star. but like Howard was a decent starter.  He wound up with a reasonable contract, and the Jets wound up with Winters

Just having flash backs to the Slauson situation last year which I thought the Jets bungled.  Slauson wasn't a star. but like Howard was a decent starter.  He wound up with a reasonable contract, and the Jets wound up with Winters

I agree on Slauson and was rather adamant about that at the time it all happened; he was very affordable and a solid, established starter.  I think with Howard it is a very different situation, as there have been numerous reports that he is looking for a fairly significant contract.  As you said, he's decent, but not much more, so it's tough to blame either side on this one.  If Howard can cash in via FA, it's understandable for him to want to get the best deal possible, but if the Jets don't think he's worth nearly as much as he's asking for, and/or feel there are better options out there for the price, then you can't expect them to make that deal.  If it's a matter of a minor discrepancy in negotiations then I'd say just do what you need to in order to make it happen, but if he's really looking to get one of the highest RT contracts out there, that's a whole different story.

I agree on Slauson and was rather adamant about that at the time it all happened; he was very affordable and a solid, established starter.  I think with Howard it is a very different situation, as there have been numerous reports that he is looking for a fairly significant contract.  As you said, he's decent, but not much more, so it's tough to blame either side on this one.  If Howard can cash in via FA, it's understandable for him to want to get the best deal possible, but if the Jets don't think he's worth nearly as much as he's asking for, and/or feel there are better options out there for the price, then you can't expect them to make that deal.  If it's a matter of a minor discrepancy in negotiations then I'd say just do what you need to in order to make it happen, but if he's really looking to get one of the highest RT contracts out there, that's a whole different story.

I've seen a lot of speculation on the board to that effect, but I really can't recall many articles by people who might be in a position to know, that he is demanding big money.

There was the same speculation about Slauson last year, then when his contract came out I was like HUH?

We'll see what happens

they will go BAP.  If he is the BAP, they either trade down or it's him.  Idzik is a BAP guy.

I agree with this,..and at 18 BAP may very well be defense,...this board will implode but it's a very real possibility

I've seen a lot of speculation on the board to that effect, but I really can't recall many articles by people who might be in a position to know, that he is demanding big money.

There was the same speculation about Slauson last year, then when his contract came out I was like HUH?

We'll see what happens

I'm not so sure it was a money thing last year around here with Slauson, as much as there was some sort of inexplicable hatred for the guy amongst a lot of posters.  I never got it, but it seemed to often go back to one play that took place about 5 minutes into his playing career.

As far as Howard's contract, there has been some speculation in the media to that extent, but it's anything but reliable considering it's coming from the same old folks who seem to use JN posters as their so-called "sources".  That said, if those contract demands aren't true, I agree with you 100% that the Jets need to get that all taken care of.

Dufaq is with all the Slauson love lately?  Slauson had cement feet.  He could anchor and he could short-pull.  But that's it.  Toss, screen, downfield blocking...the crap Faneca did with ease, was an absolute impossibility with Slauson.  As an Oline coach (See my thread: before anyone responds, have you ever been an Oline coach?) Slauson has never been an asset.  He's a stopgap that needs to learn LG, RG, and Center in order to be of value.  He doesn't add yardage to runs.  He never has.  Enough with the "man do I miss Matt Slauson" comments.

Dufaq is with all the Slauson love lately?  Slauson had cement feet.  He could anchor and he could short-pull.  But that's it.  Toss, screen, downfield blocking...the crap Faneca did with ease, was an absolute impossibility with Slauson.  As an Oline coach (See my thread: before anyone responds, have you ever been an Oline coach?) Slauson has never been an asset.  He's a stopgap that needs to learn LG, RG, and Center in order to be of value.  He doesn't add yardage to runs.  He never has.  Enough with the "man do I miss Matt Slauson" comments.

You know, there are players somewhere in between the stages of all-time greats and absolutely awful.  Nobody is in love with Slauson, but he was simply a solid player who certainly played above his cost (both contract and draft pick), which is something that every NFL team needs in order to fill out their roster.  Like it or not, he was still a better guard than anyone the Jets had at the position last season.  Considering the dirt cheap contract he signed, it certainly brings up the question of why they let him go in the first place.  Besides, a team that is/was in as bad shape as the Jets hardly needed to be making any more holes for themselves.

Archived