Could we sign both Verner and Byrd?

joewilly12

This is America. The Jets can do whatever they want just like you can do whatever you want. Like create needless threads, pushing important ones down the page.

'Murica.

Important threads like what the joewillie78 farewell tour? This scenario can very well happen.

Sure, and a superstar WR, too.

Nothing at WR this year in FA is a must have . If we sign Verner and Byrd our Defense goes elite and we use our abundance of draft picks to help the offense. With an elite defense and a solid running game this team can easily win 10 games . If verner and byrd add up to 20 mil we still have 27 mil to spend on some OL help and possibly an all around back, grabbing a bunch of WR's in a draft loaded with them possibly even trading up to get one we want

Never say never we have a need for a starting CB and a Safety you know how Rex likes his CBs and Safetys.

Yep, Rex loves safeties!  Studs like Eric Smith, Leonhard, Yerimiah Bell, Jarrett, Allen, Landry (not the good one from 2012).  They have basically trotted crap out there at safety since he got here. They have spent low $$ and late picks. 

Nothing at WR this year in FA is a must have . If we sign Verner and Byrd our Defense goes elite and we use our abundance of draft picks to help the offense. With an elite defense and a solid running game this team can easily win 10 games . If verner and byrd add up to 20 mil we still have 27 mil to spend on some OL help and possibly an all around back.

That's assuming you don't resign Howard, if you do, that number will drop by at least $5 million, coupled with a draft class that will cost another $7ish million and you're looking at $15ish or so to sign a RG, veteran QB and a handful of other players needed to fill out the 53.  It's certainly doable, just not sure you're gonna be seeing Idzik shoot his wad for two players.  On paper it seems great, I just can't remember the last time a team signed two of the top players at their respective positions in FA and had it translate to the regular season.

Yep, Rex loves safeties!  Studs like Eric Smith, Leonhard, Yerimiah Bell, Jarrett, Allen, Landry (not the good one from 2012).  They have basically trotted crap out there at safety since he got here. They have spent low $$ and late picks. 

great safties on a defense that creates pressure is what will get us the turnovers we need IMO. This team has never produced turnovers under Rex based on the type of scheme he runs. The good landry created some T.O. the fake Landry did nothing but show up. I do not think CB's in this defense will ever get a lot of Int's due to the fact they have to really focus on coverage and can't take chances when in man coverage because that = TD's for the opponent. This team needs Safties in a bad way and has since Rex got here.

great safties on a defense that creates pressure is what will get us the turnovers we need IMO. This team has never produced turnovers under Rex based on the type of scheme he runs. The good landry created some T.O. the fake Landry did nothing but show up. I do not think CB's in this defense will ever get a lot of Int's due to the fact they have to really focus on coverage and can't take chances when in man coverage because that = TD's for the opponent. This team needs Safties in a bad way and has since Rex got here.

Rex can scheme picks.  Think Revis against the Cowboys a couple of years ago.  Last season I don't think they tried much because they were struggling and when he did there several outright obvious drops on easy picks.  Wall had at least two and Milliner had some as well.

Rex can scheme picks.  Think Revis against the Cowboys a couple of years ago.  Last season I don't think they tried much because they were struggling and when he did there several outright obvious drops on easy picks.  Wall had at least two and Milliner had some as well.

I think having a lead will help create more turnovers than throwing a bunch of money at expensive safeties and CBs, although I certainly would like an upgrade on both.  The opportunities just weren't there as often this year as we were so frequently playing from behind.  I can't recall too many missed opportunities where I was thinking our guys just weren't capitilizaing.  You fall behind, the other team can run the ball and choose the more low-risk passing options.  I expect us to upgrade both, but I have a feeling that improving our offense, scoring more points is going to switch the turnover differential around, moreso than getting Byrd and Verner will.

INTs don't mean anything.

It does when you combine it with ten or so PBUs and it's all in the last quarter of a season.  He didn't just good-luck his way into those break ups and interceptions, the kid has fine ball awareness and ball skills.  All you guys were just too ready to jump down his throat in the beginning of the season when he was obviously rust from missing training camp.

INTs don't mean anything.

In the last 4 games of the season Milliner graded out as the best CB in all of football according to PFF, and did it while being targeted more than any CB in all of football winning Defensive Rookie of the Month in December, and Defensive player of the Week in Week 17, I would say the kid should be considered a big part of the Jets future at CB.

Nothing at WR this year in FA is a must have . If we sign Verner and Byrd our Defense goes elite and we use our abundance of draft picks to help the offense. With an elite defense and a solid running game this team can easily win 10 games . If verner and byrd add up to 20 mil we still have 27 mil to spend on some OL help and possibly an all around back, grabbing a bunch of WR's in a draft loaded with them possibly even trading up to get one we want

Honestly, it's not as crazy as it sounds at first. It might just work.

In the last 4 games of the season Milliner graded out as the best CB in all of football according to PFF, and did it while being targeted more than any CB in all of football winning Defensive Rookie of the Month in December, and Defensive player of the Week in Week 17, I would say the kid should be considered a big part of the Jets future at CB.

Really? Maybe it's because I stopped watching the Jets consistently when they wouldn't bench Geno...

Got a link? That would give me A LOT of hope.

That would put this defense in the NFL Elite category.

I think it would put the Jets front office in the insane category.  9 mil for a safety.  %Rex does not even like safeties.  Plus Byrd did not stay on the field last year.

Really? Maybe it's because I stopped watching the Jets consistently when they wouldn't bench Geno...

Got a link? That would give me A LOT of hope.

So you're talking about things you have no idea about.

At least you're consistent.

So you're talking about things you have no idea about.

At least you're consistent.

No idea about? I watched every full game for a good 13-14 games and he was absolutely terrible. I saw one of his lucky INTs against MIA, but if that's all he did in those last 2-3 games, I still think he's garbage.

No idea about? I watched every full game for a good 13-14 games and he was absolutely terrible. I saw one of his lucky INTs against MIA, but if that's all he did in those last 2-3 games, I still think he's garbage.

No idea.  None.  He was a rookie.  A rookie that missed most of camp and struggled with hamstring issues for most of the year.  You could have watched all the games and you'd still have no idea.  Go watch him battle Josh Gordon against the Browns and then tell us that he is complete garbage and has no ball awareness.  You don't need a link.  Use google.  The awards and articles Lupz mentioned are all there. Go to youtube or NFL network and watch.  Milliner should be fine. 

FWIW, DRC would have a do not touch grade from Parcells.  He is always yapping about retiring. 

Archived